Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Re: Expectations of a private rental
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:57 

GazChap wrote:
But there's always been a clause in the rental agreement that, should they break, it becomes the tenant's responsibility to replace them at their cost (and obviously they would then be able to take it with them when they leave)
...whut? I've never seen of or heard of this, and I'd run a mile from it, personally.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:00 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
GazChap wrote:
But there's always been a clause in the rental agreement that, should they break, it becomes the tenant's responsibility to replace them at their cost (and obviously they would then be able to take it with them when they leave)
...whut? I've never seen of or heard of this, and I'd run a mile from it, personally.

Yeah, fuck that noise. If anything in a rented place breaks (assuming it's not because the tenant smashed it up or whatever) the idea that it wouldn't be the landlord's responsibility to sort out is mental.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:10 

I have my actual tenancy agreement open, as it happens:

Quote:
(Tenant) To pay for the reasonable cost of any repairs to mechanical or electrical appliances resulting from the misuse by the Tenant, his family, guests or invitees.

(Landlord) To keep in repair and proper working order all mechanical and electrical items belonging to the Landlord and forming part of the Fixtures & Fittings except that the Tenant shall pay to the Landlord the cost of any such repairs resulting from misuse by the Tenant or the Tenant’s visitors.

Note you can't have it both ways, in this contract at least; if it's listed on the inventory, the landlord has to keep it working. If the landlord doesn't want to look after it, they can remove it from the inventory, but the tenant isn't responsible for anything. We had our washing machine replaced a couple of months ago. This is KFH's standard contract.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:19 
Bad Girl

I’d say that was a fairly standard clause too.

Mind you, that clause is silent on replacements due to misuse but I’d imagine that is another clause (but if not it’s poor drafting).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:20 

Yeah, probably. It's a pretty long contract.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:26 
ugvm'er at heart...

Proving misuse is very difficult though, so you end up just replacing IME.
"The door just fell off the oven did it? Strange, i've never had that happen to me before..."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I have.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:32 

The oven door in my kitchen is too close to the surface, occasionally it catches it slightly when closing - it's happened before that it's been closing caught it and shattered.

10/10 kitchen design...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:43 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
GazChap wrote:

:shrug: They've always been in every tenancy agreement I've ever sent to a tenant, and no-one's batted an eyelid at it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:53 
Excellent Member

GazChap wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
GazChap wrote:

:shrug: They've always been in every tenancy agreement I've ever sent to a tenant, and no-one's read it.

Feex for what's probably going on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:55 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bamba wrote:
GazChap wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
GazChap wrote:

:shrug: They've always been in every tenancy agreement I've ever sent to a tenant, and no-one's read it.

:this:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:57 
Bad Girl

That’s because most tenants don’t argue over the terms of a tenancy agreement. Until something goes wrong or there’s a breach of course.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:59 

Satsuma wrote:
That’s because most tenants don’t argue over the terms of a tenancy agreement. Until something goes wrong or there’s a breach of course.

I read my entire contract and had pet clauses and break clauses added, then negotiated the precise terms of each... to be fair the letting agent was a bit confused that I was this detail-orientated. I was given the impression this doesn't happen often.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:18 
Bad Girl

It doesn’t.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:57 

Bamba wrote:
GazChap wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Trudat. No white goods ever broke while I was renting (or at least if it did, I didn't hear about it) so :munkeh:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 21:35 
Best
Board Mother

GazChap wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
GazChap wrote:

:shrug: They've always been in every tenancy agreement I've ever sent to a tenant, and no-one's batted an eyelid at it.

Again, it seems to be a normal thing in the area I am renting in. I wonder if this happens more when someone moves out of their own home and leaves behind white goods that they don't need. I was advised by the EA that I could just 'gift' them to the tenants. For someone just starting to get a home together it can be useful, even if it just lasts for a short while. It doesn't need to be included in the monthly rental payment as the LL hasn't had it as a cost in the first place and if it's up to the tenant to replace, then no future cost either. Sorry, rambling now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 21:38 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It seems a lot like people in your part of the world are perpetually confused about whether they should or should not own white goods.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 21:42 
INFINITE POWAH

It's definitely a thing - we were advised to gift the white goods over to the tenant so we weren't then liable for repairing/ replacing them. Not quite sure how that then works out at the end of the tenancy though.... this is presumably what I'm paying the manhunt agent to sort out for me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 21:44 
Unpossible!

My tenant broke the front door lock and sweet talked the fucking useless management company so I ended up paying for it. Wankers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 21:50 

MrChris wrote:
this is presumably what I'm paying the manhunt agent to sort out for me

Murderlawyer’s killing spree continues from abroad! That’s dedication.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 21:55 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MrChris wrote:
It's definitely a thing - we were advised to gift the white goods over to the tenant so we weren't then liable for repairing/ replacing them. Not quite sure how that then works out at the end of the tenancy though.... this is presumably what I'm paying the manhunt agent to sort out for me

I mean. How many times do they think they'll break over the course of the two years tenancy that it's cheaper to give them away?!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 22:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Plus you can get that £15 per month appliance cover.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:45 

Cras wrote:
I mean. How many times do they think they'll break over the course of the two years tenancy that it's cheaper to give them away?!

I'd imagine that depends entirely on the tenants themselves. One of the guys in the flat above mine used to rent it out, and the way his tenants treated that place was absolutely shocking - I can well believe that the white goods in there were constantly on the blink.

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next