Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fallout 76
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 23:22 
Hello Hello Hello

In fairness the helmet is very cool, I was trying to be unimpressed with it but this guy's enthusiasm for it won me over :D

(Direct timestamped link.)

https://youtu.be/jzHLOiVZv7o?t=680

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 0:35 
Esoteric

I've not put the batteries in mine yet but yeah, it's got to be the best collectable they have done. Bit flimsy in areas, but then I won't be throwing it around. I hope one day to get proper display cabs to display all of my Fallout stuff I collected over the last decade.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 13:28 

What a fucking world we live in where people pay £175 for a collectible edition of a game, and the bits of the box that aren't a game are built to a better standard than the game itself.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 14:02 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That helmet does look ace though...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 14:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap wrote:
What a fucking world we live in where people pay £175 for a collectible edition of a game, and the bits of the box that aren't a game are built to a better standard than the game itself.

Well, they cost more.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 14:09 
Esoteric

I've wanted a helmet since FO3. I don't look at the merch store they opened because if I did it would be my financial downfall.

It's just irony is all. I remember standing in my pal's room about 13 years back taking the piss out of him because he collected Halo stuff.

Any way back to the game and I've been reading today that they now have a fix list for this end of the year. TBH? two of the things in it are game breakers for me any way, so I won't play it until it's fixed (firstly having your mic on all the time and being forced to speak to others.. Erm, I'm autistic that's a meltdown there) and secondly the motion blur. I always disable it, it makes me feel sick as a dog.

It sounds like they basically released the console game on PC, now need to make it PC. I also suspect that is why FO4 was terrible for ages, then got fixed.

Ed to add... I really don't game much any more. I find most of the stuff these days too fast paced or simply too difficult. The last game I paid full RRP on was FO4 Pip Boy, and since then I've probably bought 10 games for my Xbox @ £9.99 or less, most are not even opened yet (they're for this winter).

The only game I play now for more than 10 mins at a time is FO4, so yes £175 is a lot of money but not when you don't buy any games it's not. It's basically been since FO4 since I splurged on a game.

I wish I could find more stuff that I liked, but I just can't. If it were not for FO4 I would have sold up all of my gaming equipment in all honesty.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 0:38 
Esoteric

I don't know how much truth is in this because I saw it on YT earlier..

Some one reckons that when Bethesda finally secured the online version of Fallout (somewhen in 2012) there was a time limit. So they had only so long to get the game out there. I usually ignore this stuff or spend hours trying to validate it online so I tried the latter and came up empty handed. Obs fine details of it are unknown. However, that may explain why they have released this mess. They have said they will be now working on monthly patches etc to fix it, but why not do that first? If you are releasing a game that in reality is a year from completion (like this seems to be) then why not just finish it first?

I also read today that they were refusing refunds on the grounds of, and I quote "You downloaded and installed it" but have now relinquished that claim.

If it weren't for the tat I would have been doing that very thing. I wasn't looking for much out of this game but it seems even the small bit I wanted isn't happening. Like sit down control support for FO4 VR that was supposedly confirmed. Slipped by the wayside.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:38 
Hello Hello Hello

Angry Joe's review of this is great (I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but I really rather like him).

He mercilessly rips it a new one, lots of great ingame footage showing how INCREDIBLY broken this game is.

What the fuck were they were even doing releasing this? JC's theory above is kind of the only thing that makes sense because it clearly doesn't work properly at a very fundamental level.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:15 
Esoteric

Hmm. I watched a video about it this morning and apparently if you are looking to just explore a world with friends and family and build things then it's actually pretty good. Which tbh? was the angle I always looked at it from.

It's deffo cheaper than WOW in that regard.

Still not played it, mind. I guess by the time I actually get my rig done the updates will be rolling out and hopefully it will actually work as it's supposed to. My mate has bought it too, so we're gonna play together.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 14:19 
UltraMod

Pretty sure cherry picking one article that says it’s an ok sandbox is the very definition of confirmation bias, especially in the face of such widespread negativity towards it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 14:23 
Esoteric

Lonewolves wrote:
Pretty sure cherry picking one article that says it’s an ok sandbox is the very definition of confirmation bias, especially in the face of such widespread negativity towards it.

Oh no the video still said for everything else it was shit :DD

But that it was a great place to explore at your leisure with friends and family, and you can build etc. That was all I said I wanted from the game if you read back, so once they get the bug fixes in place this December it may well be what I wanted it to be. I would still like private servers mind, but hopefully they will arrive somewhen.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 15:57 
Excellent Painter

https://wornandwound.com/introducing-th ... me-series/

Go on JC, it’ll look rad!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 15:59 
UltraMod

DBSnappa wrote:
https://wornandwound.com/introducing-the-laco-auxiliary-observer-rad-aux-a-watch-inspired-by-the-fallout-game-series/

Go on JC, it’ll look rad!

If he doesn’t get this then he’s no fan at all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 18:04 
Esoteric

'kin how much? :D

OK well I have now played the game for the first time today. I've been playing for about three hours and I really like it. I don't miss the NPCs much (maybe it's being autistic so I don't like small talk much). I like the way it quests. It reminds me of FO3 when I was doing the secret quests for the special weapons etc. It flows along OK, and I love the graphics (apart from the distance blur, it's nasty, but they fixed that in FO4 so I remain hopeful).

Basically it is everything I wanted it to be, so I am pleased. Can't wait to get my buddy in with me, that will be a really new experience ! I do love the game world though, and the music is fantastic.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:12 
Esoteric

I really like this. I kinda knew I would once I found out what it was made up of. I will do my best to explain quite why I like it.

Firstly the look and feel may be somewhat familiar (because it obviously uses the same game engine as FO4) but the game itself feels very, very different to any other Fallout title I have played. If you are not going to play it or don't want to then I suppose the best way to explain it would be to say it feels like FO3 into FONV. Like, the whole look and feel are totally different to anything before. And it's a very nice look and feel. Things are brighter, cleaner, happier. The sun rays (now they work OK) are actually really nice and make you feel warm and the fog (especially when coupled with the sun rays) make it look incredible. The fog was originally added in Far Harbor, IIRC, and definitely give it a nice feel. Also as you walk along you hear birds chirping and insect chatter. Which is nice, and really adds up to make it feel very different. Also a lot of the items you find and so on are new, as are a lot of the things you need to kill. Which again make it feel very different.

The gameplay itself? well tbh I don't really miss the NPCs all that much. I barely used to pay much attention to them before and was usually quite happy to skip what they were saying unless it was of crucial importance. I'm not one for small talk IRL, and prefer to avoid people, so Fallout has always given me the opportunity to be the real lone wanderer who just wanders around. However, whilst at one extreme end of the spectrum most reviewers have been calling for Bethesda's head over the way that the quests are done with holotapes and computer screens? then there is my angle of looking at it. Basically it feels like doing all of the secret/hidden/side quests in FO3. Things like the Sydney quest (Moon beam) and the quests for the secret weapons (Xuanlong Assault Rifle, those ones) and so on. Keller Family transcripts also comes to mind. And I enjoyed those far more than any of the main quests. So don't feel like this game will have nothing to offer you. It may even work out better than before.

The world itself is gorgeous. As I touched on before, it really does feel completely different to any Fallout game I have played. I like the new Pip boy, and I even quite like the auto targeting system (when it actually works). Oh and the music, the music is fantastic.

I also like how you have to eat and drink and don't get a choice in it. Up until now I have never eaten or drank anything at all in any Fallout game, I've usually just relied on sleeping, Radaway and Stimpaks. So this adds a whole new element which I really like. It's almost like the lord taketh away, but then giveth.

The bad stuff.

The auto targeting system is glitchy, and has caused the game to audio loop and then crash twice on me (I am 3 hours in)
The graphics use some sort of motion blur, but I really don't like it and it makes the distance look fuzzy. If you stand still and tap the controller it all fuzzes up and then goes clear again. You can't switch it off either, and it really makes me feel a bit Tom & Dick if I concentrate on it. FO4 was like it at launch, now it's as clear as a bell so I am hoping they can address this.
I keep dying because I can't get into VATS quickly enough to administer stim paks. I *think* there may be a controller button that does that, but I never used it. It's a bit odd not being able to pause (or heavily slow down) the action, though.
Every time I "exit to desktop" the game freezes and crashes. I have to end task to get rid of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 13:28 
Esoteric

OK so I soon stopped really liking the game when it started to go wrong. The first couple of hours were awesome, but as soon as it introduces other players the graphics go unbelievably fuzzy making me feel sick and get sore eyes, and it runs like dog doo.

Not been back since about 8 hours in, but I would surmise that at least some of the issues have been fixed by now.

However, today apparently Bethesda announced that they are putting NPCs into this, as well as real quests and etc. So basically they released the bare shell, and now they are working on the game itself.

I do say all of this with great trepidation, but if they can do that they may just actually restore some faith in me. We shall see...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 22:40 
Skillmeister

It's been a long time since The Onion made me smile, but this was perfect: https://ogn.theonion.com/bethesda-e3-pr ... 1835338164

I managed the first 10-15 minutes of their stage show last night before doing something interesting instead. The paid whooping shills they place in front of the audience mics tried their hardest to drown out the boos when Fallout 76 came on the screen, but they were still clearly audible. They even tried to get everybody to do a standing ovation for Molyneuxbot V2.0 when he appeared, but only another 4 people decided to join in. My trust in this company is at a low ebb.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 23:05 
Esoteric

Oddly enough I'm boycotting Bethesda right now for exactly that reason. I've just not mentioned it because there isn't much point. I avoided RAGE 2 and I shall be avoiding Doom Eternal also until they prove they can be trusted.

They abused the trust and hope they gave me with fallout 3, making it clear they were quite happy to rip their loyal fan base off with a clear cash in and from what I've heard about that star whatever it is game it still uses the same engine.

Roll on the outer worlds.

P.S fuck mobile phones.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 23:37 
Hello Hello Hello

Good old Jim :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 0:33 
Esoteric

First they rip me off and now Toss Howard calls me a jerk.

Great going.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:48 

JohnCoffey wrote:
They abused the trust and hope they gave me with fallout 3, making it clear they were quite happy to rip their loyal fan base off with a clear cash in and from what I've heard about that star whatever it is game it still uses the same engine.

JohnCoffey wrote:

Great going.

We told you not to spend £175 on this. The first three pages of this thread are basically nothing but us telling you not to buy this. It was clear it was almost certainly going to suck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:54 
Esoteric

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

JohnCoffey wrote:

Great going.

We told you not to spend £175 on this. The first three pages of this thread are basically nothing but us telling you not to buy this. It was clear it was almost certainly going to suck.

Oh I was always going to buy it for the merch. To that ends I wasn't disappointed. The game is what disappointed me.

Until that point there wasn't a fallout game that really disappointed me.

I'm just too trusting sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:22 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It can be a disappointment, sure - but you can't exactly claim they ripped you off. They made a multiplayer online game, and sold it exactly as that. You were hoping it would be a feature rich single player game, and it very much was not - and they never claimed it was.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:34 
Esoteric

Cras wrote:
It can be a disappointment, sure - but you can't exactly claim they ripped you off. They made a multiplayer online game, and sold it exactly as that. You were hoping it would be a feature rich single player game, and it very much was not - and they never claimed it was.

Very true and I agree but (and there is one) it didn't work. It constantly crashed, made me go boss eyed with the insane amount of blur and etc (I won't waste my time moaning about everything that was broken as it's been done to death by others) but yeah, a working product even in its current 'state' would have been fine.

As it happens we had to stop playing (my buddy actually rage quit because a crash meant rebooting your pc) and we haven't played it since.

I did quite enjoy it at first before it all went a bit Pete.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:18 
Esoteric

Something strange happened yesterday. I'd not called my old neighbour for about a month as I've been mad busy. Any way, suddenly I get this urgent thought that I should phone her, as I had a feeling the canvas bag I applied for eons ago had arrived. It hadn't, apparently, so we just had a good chat. About an hour later she phoned me back and said "God my husband is stupid... Apparently a parcel came for you TODAY and he put the card in your pigeon hole". LOL a lot of good that will do, given I've not lived there in months.

So ladies, gentlemen.. Please prepare yourself for the CANVAS BAG !

Get in !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DID YOUR PHONE JUST WATERMARK YOUR FUCKING PHOTO?!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:30 
Excellent Member

Holy shit, that's one of the most obnoxious things I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:30 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:

My Xiaomi does that too - the option is on by default and was one of the first things I switched off. No idea why anyone would want such a feature.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:32 

"Influencers"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm just surprised it didn't show the FPS of the photo...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:39 
Esoteric

devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:

My Xiaomi does that too - the option is on by default and was one of the first things I switched off. No idea why anyone would want such a feature.

Oh you can turn it off?

How? Is it in the camera itself or deep somewhere else?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:42 
Esoteric

I mean the camera app not physically within the camera.

/Twat mode off.

Found it after one whole second of searching. :facepalm:

:belm:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:50 
UltraMod

Considering you’re the only person on here with this phone, I’ll be the first to :shrug:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 19:54 

Lulz

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/11 ... 6894465026

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:36 
Esoteric

It's almost beyond belief really.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 14:45 
Hello Hello Hello

The way Jim just kind of loses his shit over it is quite funny.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 14:53 
Esoteric

I wasn't angry. I really wasn't.

Then I found out that the large mass of pc parts I have piled up to build my private fo76 server are not needed because the private servers are actually Bethesda owned and you have to buy that ^ bullshit to use it.

Fucking arseholes. £175 for an incomplete game, hype up the good stuff and fixes, then hold them back and sell them to you.

Fuck off. Just seriously, fuck off.

Wiping my hands of it now. Any hope I had left no matter how small is now gone. It was a total ripoff and that's that. Time to just put it to bed and move on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 14:59 

JohnCoffey wrote:
Then I found out that the large mass of pc parts I have piled up to build my private fo76 server are not needed because the private servers are actually Bethesda owned and you have to buy that ^ bullshit to use it.
Did Bethesda ever say you’d be able to run private servers on your own computer?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 15:05 
Hello Hello Hello

JohnCoffey wrote:
I wasn't angry. I really wasn't.

Fucking arseholes. £175 for an incomplete game, hype up the good stuff and fixes, then hold them back and sell them to you.

Fuck off. Just seriously, fuck off.

Wiping my hands of it now. Any hope I had left no matter how small is now gone. It was a total ripoff and that's that. Time to just put it to bed and move on.

I'm all over that THE OUTER WORLDS which is released tomorrow, it's by Obsidian who did Fallout New Vegas.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 15:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Reviews for it are excellent at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 15:18 

Cras wrote:

Eurogamer was a bit more muted that most. I’m still in, though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 15:25 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cras wrote:

Eurogamer was a bit more muted that most. I’m still in, though.

I didn't care for the tone of that review at all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 15:37 

Hearthly wrote:
I didn't care for the tone of that review at all.

I take their point that perhaps it’s not memorable enough to win you over if you weren’t already won over by “Fallout-tinged cover of Mass Effect.” But I was, so that’s fine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 15:48 
Esoteric

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
Did Bethesda ever say you’d be able to run private servers on your own computer?

No. They said private servers, so once again I was simply too trusting. I figured that they'd release some kind of thing like valve did for l4d and etc and call if the geck or something equally predictable.

Guess not. They want to hire you their server. Which I'm not prepared to do.

Life these days is just so shit and predictable. Everything has been dissected down to the last fucking crumb and then has a price put on it. Nickel and diming I believe the yanks call it.

Hosting my own world was my last hope for this atrocity of a game and that has now been ruined.

Outer worlds is ok I hear. Good but not fantastic. Might check it out soon. At least they may have a modicum of pride in their game, rather than making a shit show scumbag piece by piece ripoff.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 16:04 

JohnCoffey wrote:
76 will get sorted. It's not like we are talking about some two bob operation here. This is Bethesda/Zenimax, quite possibly the biggest player in video gaming ever. Patience is a virtue.
JohnCoffey wrote:
Hosting my own world was my last hope for this atrocity of a game and that has now been ruined.
Life comes at you fast eventually.

JohnCoffey wrote:
Surely these parts cost you far more than the £100 it would cost to subscribe to Fallout 1st for a whole year?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 16:14 
Esoteric

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
76 will get sorted. It's not like we are talking about some two bob operation here. This is Bethesda/Zenimax, quite possibly the biggest player in video gaming ever. Patience is a virtue.
JohnCoffey wrote:
Life comes at you fast eventually.

JohnCoffey wrote:
Surely these parts cost you far more than the £100 it would cost to subscribe to Fallout 1st for a whole year?

Nope. All leftover parts and an old Alienware case.

Just finished upgrading one of my pcs.

Ah well it'll make a fine Freenas I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 16:25 

JohnCoffey wrote:

Even if you somehow upgraded the other PC for nothing, this is still faulty logic, as you could resell the old parts so there is an opportunity cost in keeping them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 16:28 
Esoteric

https://www.bit-tech.net/news/bethesda- ... ription/1/

It just gets better.

'No way will I be beholden to a subscription to run a private world I can't even mod or change the ruleset on... that's the entire point of private worlds.'

So they're not even private worlds.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 16:32 
Esoteric

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

Even if you somehow upgraded the other PC for nothing, this is still faulty logic, as you could resell the old parts so there is an opportunity cost in keeping them.

Most of it can't be legally sold as it is engineering samples given to me for free.

Sure I could sell it off, but I'm in need of a new NAS and it'll make for a fine one of those.

I don't like selling things really. It just exposes me to more of what I hate. So I usually give stuff away.

But yeah my NAS is very very old and very slow. I was going to build it as a server and fo76 host, but Freenas looks very easy so I'll just whack that on it :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 19:47 
ugvm'er at heart...

We could even split The Outer Worlds dicussion into a new thread, but in the meantime.

If you have a souped up typewriter, The Outer Worlds is included in the snappily named "Xbox Game Pass for PC (beta)", which you can currently purchase for the sum total of one single pound for the first month (and £3.99 a month after that).

A quid to give it a go? Seems a no brainer to me!

Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next