Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tracker/‘smart’ watch RMD
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:50 

markg wrote:
Yeah, seems like they do most everything you really need except don't need charging every other day which is one of the things that put me off smartwatches.

I don’t understand this at all. When I go to bed, I take my watch off and put it on the charger on my bedside table, next to my phone. This is routine so I never forget it. If it only needed charging (say) once a week, there’s a decent chance I’m going to forget one day and it’s going to go flat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:53 

At no point in the day am I lazier than right before bed and there's enough techno clutter on the bedside table as it is. A watch that I can charge once a month but otherwise just wear seems like a decent idea.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:55 

You’re too lazy to put a watch onto a magnetic charger instead of just putting it anywhere? It’s zero effort.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:11 

DavPaz wrote:
No GPS though. Darn.

I was looking at one of those but decided on getting something that looked more like a watch so I could wear it Day in and out as just a watch, which will be one of the primary functions, and tge lack of god just ruled it out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:17 
Unpossible!

You'd need to spend a bit for a built in deity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:21 

KovacsC wrote:
The garmin are more robust than fitbit. A lot of my running biddies have returned a lot of the fit bits.

I’ve put two fitbits through not only a wash cycle but also a full hot dryer cycle for 3.5 hours, and they both emerged fine :D But I’m probably not going to put mine through the rigours your triathalin mates do.

My doctor has agreed I can push myself a bit more when I’m feeling up to it according to the various medications they are trying, but on strict understanding that I don’t overdo things. My problem has been that I have a ‘good’ day and end up hauling myself around carrying all sorts of things for 7 miles and then come home before heading off to the pool, then I’m really sick for three to five days later. I want to be able to accurately track how I’m doing on various meds to find my limits and also build very slowly. In January I was so ill I couldn’t move out of bed for days at a time in pain, so it’s part of just trying to claim some life back, gently, so not through the same kind of rigours as your super fit friends x

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:21 

DavPaz wrote:
No GPS though. Darn.

After accounting for summertime, point the hour hand at the sun. The bisection between 12 and the hand is the north-south line.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:22 

DavPaz wrote:
You'd need to spend a bit for a built in deity

D’oh!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:23 
Hibernating Druid

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
You’re too lazy to put a watch onto a magnetic charger instead of just putting it anywhere? It’s zero effort.

Extra expense!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:47 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Mimi wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
The garmin are more robust than fitbit. A lot of my running biddies have returned a lot of the fit bits.

I’ve put two fitbits through not only a wash cycle but also a full hot dryer cycle for 3.5 hours, and they both emerged fine :D But I’m probably not going to put mine through the rigours your triathalin mates do.

My doctor has agreed I can push myself a bit more when I’m feeling up to it according to the various medications they are trying, but on strict understanding that I don’t overdo things. My problem has been that I have a ‘good’ day and end up hauling myself around carrying all sorts of things for 7 miles and then come home before heading off to the pool, then I’m really sick for three to five days later. I want to be able to accurately track how I’m doing on various meds to find my limits and also build very slowly. In January I was so ill I couldn’t move out of bed for days at a time in pain, so it’s part of just trying to claim some life back, gently, so not through the same kind of rigours as your super fit friends x

I was not counting the triathlon watches, they are a mental price.

They wee looking at the fitbit equivalents, a lot user the Garmin FR35, a great piece of kit and quite small.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:06 
UltraMod

Zardoz wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Extra expense!

They all come with magnetic chargers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:31 
Hibernating Druid

The ones that cost more.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 13:09 

Ah yes, that was one on my shortlist.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 21:22 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

What on earth were you drying on hot for 3.5 hours?!

No help with the watch though - sorry. :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 21:47 

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Mimi wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

Just the washing. Actually, it sets itself at 3hrs 50mins, dries a bit and then weighs the washing and judges the remaining water and then recalculates, so I’m not sure of the actual drying time, but when I set it it says 3hrs 50 as a standard starting point no matter the load.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 0:06 
Gogmagog

Grump Face has a Special Amusement for putting whatever the fuck is in the washing machine on boil wash followed by massive heat. If I didn't admire her dedication to the cause, Sanctions Would Occour.

As it is, I get to say "this jumper is tight, I need to do running" and fuck off for an hour.

Opportunities, take them

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:56 

Mimi wrote:
Just the washing. Actually, it sets itself at 3hrs 50mins, dries a bit and then weighs the washing and judges the remaining water and then recalculates, so I’m not sure of the actual drying time, but when I set it it says 3hrs 50 as a standard starting point no matter the load.

Is it a condenser dryer, Mimi?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:56 

Yes, it’s a condenser. The actual drying times can be anything from 20 minutes to nearly four hours depending on the load, but it’s an extra large drum so will take a huge dry load.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 13:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

:hat:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 18:52 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Mimi wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

Ah! That makes more sense (and is less likely to burn your flat down). Mine is rarely on for an hour though, so maybe it's less than you realize. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:39 

Amazfit Bip turned up today. Love it! Feels really nice to wear and just seems to do everything I would want it to. Off out for a run at lunchtime so I'll see how the data compares to that from the strava app on my phone. Although I'll probably still be using the phone when I'm running anyway since I'm normally listening to a book or some music while I'm at it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:09 

I got a watch. True to forum form everyone posted what they had and I bought the one I first saw anyway (actually, different watch, but same company). But honestly, this thread WAS helpful as it helps me consider more scenarios and use cases, and I decided in the end that the onboard GPS was more important than pretty pretty watch. I’ve had it since Thursday and love it. Taking it swimming on Thursday too. Good to leave phone at home yesterday too as I don’t like taking it with me if I don’t have to.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:11 
Unpossible!

So... what did you buy?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:28 
Prince of Fops

DavPaz wrote:
So... what did you buy?

An Xbox.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 14:01 

It’s a Fitbit Ionic. I love the newer one, it’s so pretty and they have it in pink, but I thought this was more practical and it fit all the criteria and works with the Fitbit app I’ve always used so I feel comfortable using it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 14:43 

Having done a run with my Bip the GPS tracking worked faultlessly however compared to the garmin chest strap the heart rate data seemed consistently low, by about 20bpm. Perhaps it needs to be on a little tighter for running because the rest of the time it's showing the 50-55bpm that I would expect. But not really a big deal since most of the time I'll just be using my old setup anyway. It is really nice to be able to glance at my wrist to see my pace, though. The display on this little watch deserves a special mention, the reflective panel which gives it the huge battery life also means that it's actually easier to see the more light there is but even indoors you don't need to activate the backlight to read it. Definitely seems like a sensible way to go for these things.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 14:46 
Isn't that lovely?

I decided to join in the fitbit fun, and my Versa arrived today! here's hoping it motivates me to lose some of this timbre I've built up over the last 10 or so years...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 14:55 
sneering elitist

I've given thought to getting a new tracky fitness watch this year so this thread has been useful Mimi, thanks :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 15:44 

Malc wrote:
I decided to join in the fitbit fun, and my Versa arrived today! here's hoping it motivates me to lose some of this timbre I've built up over the last 10 or so years...

Ah, was that you that friended me? That’s actually come through on s really old account so I’ll wirk out how to link you to my actual current one x

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 16:23 
Isn't that lovely?

Yeah, that was me, went down my FB friends list and added people it said had Fitbit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:23 

Well I learned something from my watch already, whilst I might not be the fastest runner out there I sleep better than 99% of other users. When it comes to doing literally nothing at all I'm an absolute ruler. 98 points, get in!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:24 
Awesome
Yes

markg wrote:
Well I learned something from my watch already, whilst I might not be the fastest runner out there I sleep better than 99% of other users. When it comes to doing literally nothing at all I'm an absolute ruler. 98 points, get in!

Is the data set just people with that watch or from a central data aggregation point like Fitbit?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:28 

Mi Fit users I think, so like the Chinese FitBit. Although I don't know if the stats are filtered by region, otherwise it'll be probably 90% people in China.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:31 
Awesome
Yes

markg wrote:
Mi Fit users I think, so like the Chinese FitBit. Although I don't know if the stats are filtered by region, otherwise it'll be probably 90% people in China.

Hopefully enough to compare to though.

You just need to work on though extra two points... get sleeping!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

The Chinese are now watching you sleep though, important info for the coming invasion.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:53 
Unpossible!

My cheapo fitness tracker that I'm currently using syncs to Mi Fit also. Apparently I get less sleep than most, but more deep sleep than 99% of tracked users.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:59 
UltraMod

I can't sleep with a watch on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That's odd, considering you can sleep with a number of beer cans balanced on your head ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:07 
Unpossible!

Lonewolves wrote:
I can't sleep with a watch on.

I currently have a Mi Fit 2. I barely even notice it any more. It only comes off when it needs charging. Doesn't get funky like a normal watch strap.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:49 

Grim... wrote:
That's odd, considering you can sleep with a number of beer cans balanced on your head ;)

Yeah, he should get a special watch to wear if he's planning to drink more than two pints.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:57 

Add me to the super sleep gang.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:01 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:

Not anymore. :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:21 
Unpossible!

8:17 wake up? Heaven!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:30 
Awesome
Yes

DavPaz wrote:
8:17 wake up? Heaven!

Darwin has been amazing recently. I sneak out the house about half seven on days when I'm going to work, and he still lets Mimi have a bit more of a lie-in.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:39 

Yeah, he woke up at 9:30 one day last week, but generally between 8-8:30.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 16:14 
ugvm'er at heart...

100% efficiency! I'm not sure how you measure efficient sleeping, or what that actually is, but i'm the best at it

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 16:19 

You have an hour and twelve minutes of irregularity! Efficient at veungvirregukar, that’s what you are!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 16:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

All hail Veungvirregukar!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 16:23 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mimi wrote:
Efficient at veungvirregukar, that’s what you are!

Thanks for clearing that up, now I understand perfectly ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 16:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:
All hail Veungvirregukar!

King of the Veungvirregulians!

Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next