Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: The Great Outdoors
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 20:51 

Squirt wrote:
Good stuff Kern! See any Golden Eagles or Ospreys?

Not very good with birds and the resident twitcher didn’t point any out alas. We did see two red squirrels and two deer however (well, one deer and one ex-deer), and a couple of military helicopters flew down one of the glens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 17:18 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Another Marilyn! At this rate, I'll have done all the English ones by 2032! Here is a dog on top of a Trig point.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 21:25 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I'm not a camper but my wife's uncle has given us his old tent and a load of great camping gear! We're currently testing it in my parents garden.

The tent goes up easily and everything is present and well looked after so that's good. The camping stove he gave us works like a treat and we've bought some solar powered lights from IKEA for the inside.

Hopefully my girls will fall asleep OK and we can take it to a proper campsite in the summer. I am slightly concerned about the security in the tent though. Obviously we're fine in my mom's garden but there's nothing to stop someone opening the zips and getting in. It's a slight worry as there's two bedrooms at opposite ends of the tent. We'll be in one, the girls in the other. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would put my mind at rest? (other than stopping at home)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 21:50 

I'm not sure there is assuming you know that that's a pretty irrational fear. Campsites are safe environments, there's other people everywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 21:59 
Unpossible!

Yeah. You can hear people snoring, farting and shuffling around if you listen for it. I've never seen a secure tent, but I've never heard of anyone's tent being broken into either. You'll be fine.

Nice tent, btw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 22:01 
Unpossible!

We've just upgraded our old beast of a tent to a beast of an 8 berth tunnel tent. Hi Gear Kalahari Elite 8 if you're interested. Gonna take the old one to Kendal calling though. New one's a bit big for festival use!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 22:08 

DavPaz wrote:
Yeah. You can hear people snoring, farting and shuffling around if you listen for it. I've never seen a secure tent, but I've never heard of anyone's tent being broken into either. You'll be fine.

This. Just lock anything valuable in the car. The bigger risk is fire and carbon monoxide but easily mitigated.

Quote:
Nice tent, btw

Aye, looks great.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 22:42 
Excellent Member

What everyone else says is true. But if it gives you peace of mind, maybe tie little bells to the main entrance zips, and the ones into the kids compartment? Maybe they'd jingle the whole time if it's a bit windy though. Tie bells to the kids!?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Put a dog in it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:56 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Morning! Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I did think of the bells idea but on the whole, I think you’re all right in it being safe.

I slept brilliantly in there. I woke up at 4 when it was light but quickly went back to sleep.

My eldest wasn’t too keen on camping though. She said she was homesick so we may have to reconsider the camping experience we have in our minds.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:33 
ugvm'er at heart...

It's not a proper family holiday unless one of the children hates every second of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:49 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
It's not a proper family holiday unless one of the children hates every second of it.

:DD

My son tells me he is interested, as some of his school friends have been a few weeks ago, that said I bought him a pop-up, pirate tent which is in his room. He spends no time in it.

So I was thinking of getting a 2 man tent and seeing if he wants to spend a night in the garden before investments in any more camping stuff.

Any recommendations? Needs to be really easy to set up,( ideally just chuck it on the ground) also not too expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:53 
Hibernating Druid

Get yourself a massive axe or a crossbow.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:56 
Hibernating Druid

asfish wrote:
Any recommendations? Needs to be really easy to set up,( ideally just chuck it on the ground) also not too expensive.

These are superb. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-2 ... 92461.html

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:36 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Zardoz wrote:
asfish wrote:

But is it easy to fold down again?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 14:11 

Yes! Even though it always feels like you're definitely going to snap it all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 15:50 
Excellent Member

Zardoz wrote:
asfish wrote:

Thanks will get one of those and rough it in the garden later on in the summer!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 17:45 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Rather splendidly, my wife's boss's mother has said we can borrow one of her fields ( they are *very* Old Money ) for a first stab at camping with our nephew. There's a kitchen and loo in one of the outhouses nearby, but we'll be somewhere totally private so we don't have to worry about noise or strangers or disturbing others. Also, she'll let us light a proper camp fire, which is the best part of camping, as any fule kno. I've also been practicing fire lighting using the trusty ol' steel / ferrocerium rod / homemade tinder combo, so I expect to be held aloft as some sort of Fire Mage when I get it going.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Wait, your families don't have their own fields?

Weird.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 16:36 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Well, my great trek across Dartmoor was canceled ( see post in Gas Guzzling Money Pits ), but at least I can enjoy the sunny weather at home!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 16:38 
Gogmagog

Millet has a sale on.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:15 
Gogmagog

Camping near The Strid this weekend. Adds a bit of excitement to the night time ablutions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:30 

MaliA wrote:
Camping near The Strid this weekend. Adds a bit of excitement to the night time ablutions.

Looks superb. Enjoyed the subtitle and the article. Have a great relaxing break.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 18:35 
Prince of Fops

Family Fop hired a campervan last weekend for the Just So festival and the whole experience was very jolly. Our first time doing anything campingish as a family and we all enjoyed it.

In an ideal world I'd buy a campervan for weekend jaunts, but I'm not made of money (far from it).

So we've been looking at tents. Does anyone have experience of inflatable tents? Are they worth the money? Saw this and thought it looked mighty capacious and nice for a family of four, but don't know if one could get away with paying less.

https://www.millets.co.uk/tents-camping/163360-berghaus-air-6-tent.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 19:01 

We've got an inflatable tent from decathlon. I can put it up myself in about fifteen minutes including pegging all the ropes out. Would definitely recommend. Ours is a bit smaller than the one you're looking at but there's only three of us. That looks like a good deal though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 19:42 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

markg wrote:
We've got an inflatable tent from decathlon.I can put it up myself in about fifteen minutes including pegging allthe ropes out. Would definitely recommend. Ours is a bit smaller than the one you're looking at but there's only three of us. That looks like a good deal though.

All time title champion.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:58 
Prince of Fops

markg wrote:
We've got an inflatable tent from decathlon. I can put it up myself in about fifteen minutes including pegging all the ropes out. Would definitely recommend. Ours is a bit smaller than the one you're looking at but there's only three of us. That looks like a good deal though.

Cheers. I'm going have a look at some in the flesh first and will likely wait till winter to buy. Can't see us being able to go camping in September and don't think October is the best time to introduce the kids to life in the elements.

Think inflatable is the way to go though, too many memories of wrestling with flapping fabric carcasses as a child as I tried to thread what turns out to be the wrong pole anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:04 
Unpossible!

Curio has an inflatable tent. I was surprised at how ridgid it was. Very impressive erection.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:15 

Findus Fop wrote:
markg wrote:

Cheers. I'm going have a look at some in the flesh first and will likely wait till winter to buy. Can't see us being able to go camping in September and don't think October is the best time to introduce the kids to life in the elements.

Think inflatable is the way to go though, too many memories of wrestling with flapping fabric carcasses as a child as I tried to thread what turns out to be the wrong pole anyway.

We've got this one:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/air-seconds ... 84151.html

The darkened bedroom bits are really good, definitely stays a bit cooler on hot days and helps our daughter to get to sleep when it's still light outside.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:26 
Prince of Fops

markg wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
markg wrote:

We've got this one:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/air-seconds ... 84151.html

The darkened bedroom bits are really good, definitely stays a bit cooler on hot days and helps our daughter to get to sleep when it's still light outside.

That looks very good. I have it in my head that we need acres of living space but I guess you're not going to spend time in the tent, you're meant to be in the great outdoors.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:30 

Although I love my Vango Banshee, I do get tent envy when those with big tents can sit in their porch, drink wine, and enjoy an evening.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:30 
Unpossible!

MarkG, that's very similar to Curio's. Basically identical.

Our new tent has darkened bedrooms. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but looking forward to it

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:33 
Gogmagog

http://soulpad.co.uk/products/soulpad-5000-hybrid

We have this and an inner tent and will buy an awning soon. Me and minipaz put it up right quick so get one of them, too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:34 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:
http://soulpad.co.uk/products/soulpad-5000-hybrid

We have this and an inner tent and will buy an awning soon. Me and minipaz put it up right quick so get one of them, too.

Pegboy is available for hire. He's paid in biscuits.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Kern wrote:
Although I love my Vango Banshee, I do get tent envy when those with big tents can sit in their porch, drink wine, and enjoy an evening.

That's why you bust out your £20 gazebo.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:40 

Grim... wrote:
Kern wrote:

That's why you bust out your £20 gazebo.

:)

Na, I just sit in their porch, drink their wine, and enjoy the evening.

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2