Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shadow of the Tomb Raider
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 15:54 
Excellent Member

Not much to report about this and I look forward to someone starting a duplicate topic about it later on down the line.

Things we do know:

• Fuller reveal on April 27th.
  • Release on September 14th.
  • PC, Xbone and PS4 simultaneous release rather than the timed exclusive bullshit from last time round.
  • The Tomb Raider website has some related 'puzzle' you can play starting on Monday, though fuck knows what's involved or whether it'll be worth your time.

Suggestions of a comedy subtitle for the topic gratefully received.

Post subject: Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 15:57 
Prince of Fops

Bamba wrote:
Suggestions of a comedy subtitle for the topic gratefully received.

TEN PINTS OF LARA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 16:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

And a packet of crypts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 16:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Why would you raid a shadow?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 16:15 
Unpossible!

Polygonal Umbra-wear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 16:46 
Prince of Fops

Cras wrote:
And a packet of crypts

Psygtastic!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:25 
Bad Girl

Everything I hate about the previous games returns:

“Story”
“Character” “development”
Now with added “companion”

Plus the usual

Highlighting stuff (and a “skill” to make the highlighting stuff last longer LIKE IT SHOULD ANYWAY because pressing the fucking button every 10 seconds is fucking exhausting. Surely there’s a better was to highlight objects in the image without having to make you keep pressing the sodding button? Like most other games already have. I’m tired of “detective vision”.
Crap camera (why does it keep trying to jostle control from me. Leave me the fuck alone)
“Talking” to locals.
Cutscene ends and you walk 5 yards into another cutscene
And longer cutscenes like we give two fucks what Lara is talking about.
“Crafting”
And because this is the third in the series it has to revamp the menus AGAIN but make them worse than what’s gone before. I’ve no idea why they try and make the menus so obtuse just so they look prettier. The devs must have been playing the Call of Duty games...

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:30 
Bad Girl

And also dialogue errors where people talk over each other and passing invisible lines breaking dialogue instantly mid-sentence and forcing another line of dialogue.
The “companion” saying “I’ll wait here and see what I can find”. They never find anything and this twenty-something gets shot at by 50 death arrows. This happens more than once. The companion is a cunt.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:03 
Bad Girl

Stupid game tried to introduce its new stealth mechanics (you smear mud on your face and then can stand next to alarmingly placed mud walls).

It had already given me a gun. Everyone died in seconds.

And after Lara has murdered no less than 12 men she descends into an underground tomb where two lone soldiers lie dead on the ground. “It’s a slaughter” she proclaims, the irony somehow completely lost on her.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:18 
Bad Girl

Stealth mission where the enemies are fish.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:58 
Bad Girl

Holy fuck, an unskippable cutscene. I thought it was just loading the next area but, no, it’s a forced cutscene because blah blah blah fucking blah. It’s weird cause I’ve skipped others but nope you’ve got to watch this crap where Lara gets a new jumper and there’s yet another secret village.

Amazingly after 3 games the devs haven’t realised that gamers don’t actually give a shit about exploring secret villages. Or walking slowly while someone yadda yaddas. Or talking to NPCs that are just scenery.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 13:09 
UltraMod

I never finished the first one—it bored me to tears.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 13:47 
Bad Girl

I’m right there with this. Since I didn’t pay for it I’m afraid it’s getting thrown on the trash.

It’s just ... boring. The best thing I can say about it is that it’s very pretty and Lara’s voice is very pleasing. I’d like her to whisper details of her laundry into my ear.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 16:40 
Excellent Member

I loved the two previous games but was very disappointed with this one. I finished it but couldn't be fucked 100%ing it which I really enjoyed doing with the other two

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:39 
Excellent Member

This thread will do as I'm not making a whole 'Rise of the Tomb Raider' thread just for this one post.

So I picked up the second game in the most recent TR trilogy 'Rise of the Tomb Raider' because it was cheap and I fancied playing through it again (my original playthrough was on the PS4 when the game first came out). After booting it up I noticed that they still offered the stereoscopic 3D option that the previous game had so I fired it up just for a quick look. And fucking, fucking hell does it look good! Despite being relatively old it was always a very pretty games and with the 3D effect your TV seems to turn into a portal to this beautiful world. I've been playing it with the 3D on for a good few hours now but I'm still regularly stopping just to sweep the camera around and marvel at the look of the thing; it's genuinely quite transformative and even having seen some of the first game in 3D my mind is boggled at how good this one looks.

I realise that stereoscopic 3D on your TV was always quite niche and is now seen as gimmicky and gauche, but I've always said that it's a shitload more impressive at home than on the cinema screen for films. Presumably a combination of factors, but mostly because you're always in the focus sweet spot rather then being one of the hundreds of people around a massive room that are all being catered for at once. Anyway, if you happen to have a 3D TV then you owe it to yourself to pick this up and give it a go just for the experience, it really is absolutely fucking lovely and even in these days of VR ubiquity I think it stands it's ground as a visual spectacle. It's also surprisingly efficient from a processing perspective it seems; my PC is getting on these days (older i5 CPU, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060) but it's running the entire thing on the High preset without missing a beat even though it's having to double render to some degree.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:43 
Excellent Member

As a slight aside I found a Wikipedia page listing games that had 3d support built in and all three of the recent Tomb Raider games have it but pretty much fuck all else does. Which makes me wonder why they chose to support it in every one of those games (spanning from 2013-2018) even when no one else was; including Square Enix themselves in their other games. That seems like a really odd choice?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... ideo_games

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:09 
Unpossible!

Probably just an engine feature that's trivial to leave switched on

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:35 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
Probably just an engine feature that's trivial to leave switched on

That would make sense, though I'd assumed that most games these days use an existing engine with possible game-specific tweaks. Especially with a big dev who'll already have stuff developed/licensed for other games, it would seem to make sense not to reinvent a perfectly round wheel. Although, on the other hand, I know precisely fuck all about this and am just speculating wildly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 14:14 
Unpossible!

Same ;)

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]