Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finish 52 Challenge 2018
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 15:41 
UltraMod

1. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) - finished story + Pink Floyd level + over 500 power moons
2. SUPERHOT VR (Rift/PC) - finished story mode
3. Human: Fall Flat (PC) - finished all levels
4. Golf Story (Switch) - finished story mode
5. Vib Ribbon (PS1) - finished silver and bronze modes
6. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade) - finished game
7. There is no Game (PC) - did not finish game as there is no game
8. Football Manager: the Human Match Engine - scored a goal and won the game

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 19:22 
Excellent Member

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
1. The Magic Circle
2. Rusty Lake: Roots.
3. Old Man's Journey
4. Bohemian Killing
5. Hidden Folks
6. Until:Dawn: Rush of Blood
7. Rusty Lake: Hotel
8. Outlast
9. Rusty Lake: Paradise
10. Homefront
11. Batman: The Telltale Series
12. Red
13. Evo Explores
14. All That Remains (part 1)
15. Thief
16. The Frostrune
17. THOR.N
18. Hitchhiker
19. Sherlocked's The Vault
20. Crescent Bay

21. 2000 to 1: A SpaceFelony
22. The Park
23. Accounting+
24. Seasons After Fall
25. Legacy 2 - The Ancient Curse
26. XON: Episode 3
27. Secret of the Lost Pyramid
28. The Mystery of the Orphanage
29. Life is Strange
30. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)
31. There is no Game

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:18 
Excellent Member

1. The Magic Circle
3. Old Man's Journey
4. Bohemian Killing
5. Hidden Folks
8. Outlast
10. Homefront
12. Red
13. Evo Explores
15. Thief
16. The Frostrune
17. THOR.N
18. Hitchhiker
20. Crescent Bay
22. The Park
23. Accounting+
24. Seasons After Fall
29. Life is Strange

31. There is no Game
32. Papers, Please: oppressive communist misery simulator.

For anyone who doesn't know what this is, you're a border guard for a fictional Cold War-era eastern european country called Arstozka and you're tasked with allowing/denying entry to your glorious country for all the poor, trudging saps queueing for your attention every morning.

Checking someone's papers starts out easy with only a passport to look at, but the complexity ramps up every day with the paranoid administration introducing more and more paperwork hoops for entrants to jump through; and thus for you to check. After denying or rejecting someone you're given a penalty if you screwed up. The first two each day are just warning but any subsequent mistakes cost you five credits from your wages each time. Which is crucial because you've got an entire family depending on your to keep them warm, fed and filled with medicine for the round of lurgies they seem to all catch at the drop of a fucking hat. Ultimately this is a balancing act because people will ask you to help them in various ways which will always involve wrongly allowing/denying someone's entry so you're weighing these morally positive decisions against the income they'll cost you and the impact that'll have on your family.

There is also an over-arching plot that runs through the game involving a shadowy resistance movement which you can choose to get involved with or not, and some characters that pop-up regularly to help give an impression of an actual narrative.

Obviously the core of the game is repetitive and somewhat mind-numbing but that's true to the theme and, if you're weird like me, there's a lot of 'fun' to be had from correctly applying all the rules. The 'side missions' and dialogue with the entrants also helps to keep it from becoming boring. It could be argued that it goes on for a bit too long because you've seen pretty much all of the game's tricks well before the final day approaches. There are shitloads of endings and different decisions you can make so I did appreciate the ability to replay the game from any day you've already completed so you can see some of the different outcomes without replaying the whole thing.

Also, I don't know if I'm just awful at it or if it's genuinely really difficult but I can't see how you'd be able to keep your entire family alive. In the end I managed to escape with my son and wife, but uncle and mother-in-law were sacrificed very early on; and I had zero hope of ever helping out my niece.

Overall: unique, funny, interesting but perhaps a tad too long.

33. INSIDE: I had a hankering to replay this and, a couple of annoying puzzles aside, it's just as incredible as I remember. Seriously, if you haven't played this you're doing yourself a real disservice.

What I'd managed to completely forget somehow was the atmosphere of the thing; I'm struggling to think of any game that could even touch it in that regard. The environments are properly haunting most of the way through but it's the sound design that's the real star of the show here. The audio's just so subtle and effective that there were times I paused the game thinking some aspect of the sound was coming from my flat or outside the window. Less is definitely more here and I was blown away anew by that aspect of the game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:52 
Excellent Member

Papers. Please! - Amazing concept, unfun game. I'm sure it could be used as an educational tool somewhat, but I hated my time with it.

INSIDE- Agree. So absolutely flawless in every single detail.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 13:18 
Excellent Member

Lonewolves wrote:
8. Football Manager: the Human Match Engine - scored a goal and won the game[/b]

:blown:

I really hope this game is the final of the World Cup, because i don't know how can you claim to finish the game. The champions league doesn't cut it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 13:36 
Paws for thought

RuySan wrote:
Papers. Please! - Amazing concept, unfun game.

This is pretty much why I'm uninterested in buying it.

Relatedly, I recently got given "this is the police". Started off OK, but became increasingly clear that playing by the book wasn't possible. Final straw was the request to sack all black people. I stopped at that point.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:59 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
RuySan wrote:
Papers. Please! - Amazing concept, unfun game.

This is pretty much why I'm uninterested in buying it.

Relatedly, I recently got given "this is the police". Started off OK, but became increasingly clear that playing by the book wasn't possible. Final straw was the request to sack all black people. I stopped at that point.

I wasn't even getting into the ethical implications of the game. Even if Papers Please! was about welcoming refugees at the border with open arms, confetti and jelly beans, it would still be not fun. But yes, being a human misery simulator makes things even worse. That's why i was wondering if it could be used as an educational tool to highlight the absurdity of political borders.

Another game that also has the same problem is This War of Mine. Although is a better game than Papers Please, it's still not fun enough for it compensate being such a downer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:42 
Excellent Member

1. The Magic Circle
3. Old Man's Journey
4. Bohemian Killing
5. Hidden Folks
8. Outlast
10. Homefront
12. Red
13. Evo Explores
15. Thief
16. The Frostrune
17. THOR.N
18. Hitchhiker
20. Crescent Bay
22. The Park
23. Accounting+
24. Seasons After Fall
29. Life is Strange

31. There is no Game
32. Papers, Please
33. INSIDE
34. Little Nightmares: puzzle-platformer in the Limbo vein that sees you guiding a mute girl-child through a succession of environments avoiding the monstrous adults that inhabit each.

It certainly looks the part and, aside from being arguably a bit too dark at times, the visuals are wonderful in their grotesqueness with the adult enemies being particularly disgusting to behold. The gameplay itself though falters frequently due to the physics of the thing being a fucking shitshow. It was developed by some folks that were involved in LittleBigPlanet and they've certainly brought that series' love of awful woolly controls with them. Most of the platforming is straightforward enough, but there are multiple sections where responsiveness is required and these just become fucking teeth-grindingly frustrating as you try, and fail, the same thing over and over and over again.

Even those sections aside, the game just fails to do anything particularly interesting and I was generally pretty bored while I played through it. It was reviewed up the wazoo with loads of publications lauding it and I'm genuinely struggling to understand why, given that it stumbles between irritating and boring. Avoid!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:14 
Excellent Member

1. The Magic Circle
3. Old Man's Journey
4. Bohemian Killing
5. Hidden Folks
8. Outlast
10. Homefront
12. Red
13. Evo Explores
15. Thief
16. The Frostrune
17. THOR.N
18. Hitchhiker
20. Crescent Bay
22. The Park
23. Accounting+
24. Seasons After Fall
29. Life is Strange

31. There is no Game
32. Papers, Please
33. INSIDE
34. Little Nightmares
35. GNOG: I said this about it last year and stand by that - "a beautiful puzzle game (of sorts) stuffed with the sort of charm that's Doublefine's stock in trade. Each level is essentially a puzzle box that gives you no specific guidance for unravelling it or even what your aim actually is each time. The fact that your progression through each is as smooth as butter despite that is testament to how incredibly well the visual and audio design wordlessly guides you through each scenario; and it's just flat-out really, really good fun. It could be argued that it's too easy and too short but I enjoyed my time with it so much that I didn't really care. Oh, and although the gameplay doesn't change at all by playing it in VR, it makes good use of the extra depth to throw in some lovely touches so comes even more recommended for the PSVR set."

It really is just flat out incredibly good fun and charming as all fuck; if you can play it without a smile on your face then you're basically a monster. Everyone should play GNOG, it's lovely.
36. Here They Lie: PSVR 'horror' game. Though it doesn't rely on jump scares and whatnot and is really more of a walking simulator that takes you through a succession of fucked up locations. It has some really nice ideas in places and the environment design often does some very, very nice stuff with large scale VR-friendly vistas but there are swathes of it that just aren't all that interesting and it goes on for way too long. It's not a bad game or anything, and certain aspects of it will stay with me for sure which does indicate it hit it's marks at times, but it's difficult to recommend overall.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:16 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
(1) Super Mario Odyssey

2. Vostok Inc.

That was quite a ride. Ludicrous simple mash-up of an idle clicker/incremental game with a twin-stick shooter. But if you like to watch numbers go up ever-faster (and who doesn't?) then it's also ludicrously compelling.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:29 
Prince of Fops

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
(1) Super Mario Odyssey

2. Vostok Inc.

That was quite a ride. Ludicrous simple mash-up of an idle clicker/incremental game with a twin-stick shooter. But if you like to watch numbers go up ever-faster (and who doesn't?) then it's also ludicrously compelling.

You only got this on Saturday according to Wongawatch. Is that you done with it or is there more play value there?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:37 

Findus Fop wrote:
You only got this on Saturday according to Wongawatch. Is that you done with it or is there more play value there?

I've beaten the final boss but it appears to be endless and there's also a New Game+ start-over-with-harder-enemies mode. I have two tiers of buildings left to build I haven't yet and I might carry on until I get them too.

I've played a ton of it, mind. I don't know how much because Fuck You Nintendo but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 10-20 hours. It really is compulsive, it ate my entire Sunday.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 13:27 
UltraMod

Jeez Doc, pick a list format and stick with it. What next, 'iii/ Game C'?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 13:59 
Excellent Member

1. The Magic Circle
3. Old Man's Journey
4. Bohemian Killing
5. Hidden Folks
8. Outlast
10. Homefront
12. Red
13. Evo Explores
15. Thief
16. The Frostrune
17. THOR.N
18. Hitchhiker
20. Crescent Bay
22. The Park
23. Accounting+
24. Seasons After Fall
29. Life is Strange

31. There is no Game
32. Papers, Please
33. INSIDE
34. Little Nightmares
35. GNOG
36. Here They Lie
37. Xon Episode Four: disappointingly this last instalment was the weakest of the lot. Still the same nice world to run around in and the controls continue to be fucking incredible for a first person game on a phone but the later puzzles were the kind of bullshit that even with a completely cheating map to hand they were difficult and stupid. The logic required to move from the hints given to the actual solutions was just not at all intuitive in a lot of cases and that's the death knell in this format. The first two episodes are still brilliant and the third one still worth playing but this one mostly sucked; after an admittedly decent start.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 14:00 

Lonewolves wrote:
Jeez Doc, pick a list format and stick with it. What next, 'iii/ Game C'?
I regret nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 15:53 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
1) Homefront (PC)
2) SUPERHOT VR (PSVR)
3) Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
4) Uncanny Valley (PS4)
5) Resident Evil 7: Not a Hero DLC (PS4)
6) Layers of Fear (PC)
7) Genital Jousting - Story mode (PC)
8 ) Corgi Warlock (PC)
9) Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PSVR)
10) Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
11) Playerunknowns Battlegrounds (X1X)
12) The Evil Within 2 (PS4)
13) Super Mario Odessey (Switch)

14) Gears of War 4 (X1X)

Finished on hardcore mode in co-op. It was boring. Very pretty but, lord have mercy, it was awfully bland stuff. The last chapter and boss was a piece of piss, as well - a blander than bland, utterly rote, shoot the glowing spot, pull off the thing; repeat 4 times to win the game type of trash.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 16:11 
Excellent Member

I played only the first GOW at the time and that was exactly how i felt. It was just a whack-a-mole. But i was very impressed with a game on a technical level, but i don't know how i could bring myself to finish it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 21:28 
Paws for thought

1) Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
2) I expect you to die (PC/VIVE)
3) We Were Here (PC)
4) We Were Here Too (PC)
5) Human: Fall Flat (PC)
6) Ratchet and Clank (PS4)

It's like the ratchet and clank games on the ps3, but less amusing. You can turn people into sheep.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 13:34 
Excellent Member

1. The Magic Circle
3. Old Man's Journey
4. Bohemian Killing
5. Hidden Folks
8. Outlast
10. Homefront
12. Red
13. Evo Explores
15. Thief
16. The Frostrune
17. THOR.N
18. Hitchhiker
20. Crescent Bay
22. The Park
23. Accounting+
24. Seasons After Fall
29. Life is Strange

31. There is no Game
32. Papers, Please
33. INSIDE
34. Little Nightmares
35. GNOG
36. Here They Lie
37. Xon Episode Four
38. Escape Logan Estate: basically an escape room style game but with an ongoing narrative about a family's relationship with their grandfather and a very nice art/presentation style. Some of the puzzles did involve a bit of pixel-hunting in the available locations which sucks but generally it was logical and smooth to progress in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 13:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I reckon the Grimlet would like escape room type things. Which are easy and not shit?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 14:48 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
I reckon the Grimlet would like escape room type things. Which are easy and not shit?

'Easy' is a bit of a difficult thing to judge, but in terms of good ones I always enjoyed Fire Maple's stuff (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... aple+Games) and the Cryptic X series (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... 3D+Methods).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 19:21 
Prince of Fops

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

I've beaten the final boss but it appears to be endless and there's also a New Game+ start-over-with-harder-enemies mode. I have two tiers of buildings left to build I haven't yet and I might carry on until I get them too.

I've played a ton of it, mind. I don't know how much because Fuck You Nintendo but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 10-20 hours. It really is compulsive, it ate my entire Sunday.

I have purchased this! I have built mines and farms on all the planets in Sol. But how do I get a new weapon or pick up those indestrucyible things floating around space? I'm stuck with the machine gun.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:14 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

"More than 15 hours" says my Switch. I'm pretty happy with what I got for a tenner.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:07 
Excellent Painter

Are you all sitting down. I finished Horizon: Zero Dawn a week or so ago. 130+ hours including the expansion. Loved it.

Now playing Prey, which is also very nicely done.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Prey is glorious.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:30 
Excellent Painter

Grim... wrote:
Prey is glorious.

Yes, it appears very good so far. I’ve just saved having reached the crew quarters, come across some mahoosive enemy that insta-killed me, but I had to stop playing. Hoping to get on it later this afternoon for a couple of hours, so will decide what needs doing then,

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:11 
UltraMod

1. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) - finished story + Pink Floyd level + over 500 power moons
9. PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS (iOS) - winner winner chicken dinner

Now to see if I can do it on Android. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:11 
Excellent Member

1. The Magic Circle
3. Old Man's Journey
4. Bohemian Killing
5. Hidden Folks
8. Outlast
10. Homefront
12. Red
13. Evo Explores
15. Thief
16. The Frostrune
17. THOR.N
18. Hitchhiker
20. Crescent Bay
22. The Park
23. Accounting+
24. Seasons After Fall
29. Life is Strange

31. There is no Game
32. Papers, Please
33. INSIDE
34. Little Nightmares
35. GNOG
36. Here They Lie
37. Xon Episode Four
38. Escape Logan Estate
39. Bean Dreams: a puzzle-platformer for Android that has you control a Mexican jumping bean who literally never stops bouncing up and down, leaving you to control only his horizontal movement.

This relatively unique central mechanic turns everything into a timing puzzle as you navigate each level's hazards without inadvertently bouncing down a hole/into an enemy/onto spikes/etc. It also means that the usual mobile game 'three star objectives' trope is actually a really nice addition as finding hidden collectibles and attempting the level in a set number of bounces instantly transforms each level into a different puzzle.

Basically it's simple to pick-up, has a lot of depth, looks great and is brilliant fun to play. It's everything that a mobile game should be and people should give it a shot. Interestingly it's a sequel and the original game was very well received way back in the day but I tried it a few times and just completely bounced off it; while this one grabbed me instantly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
I tried it a few times and just completely bounced off it

<long look to camera>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:46 
Excellent Member

[quote="Bamba"]
1. The Magic Circle
3. Old Man's Journey
4. Bohemian Killing
5. Hidden Folks
8. Outlast
10. Homefront
12. Red
13. Evo Explores
15. Thief
16. The Frostrune
17. THOR.N
18. Hitchhiker
20. Crescent Bay
22. The Park
23. Accounting+
24. Seasons After Fall
29. Life is Strange

31. There is no Game
32. Papers, Please
33. INSIDE
34. Little Nightmares
35. GNOG
36. Here They Lie
37. Xon Episode Four
38. Escape Logan Estate
39. Bean Dreams
40. Bean's Quest: I went back and played the original and enjoyed it this time round, which is kind of weird. The sequel is definitely the better game with much tighter level design and the collectibles intelligently placed to add value rather than just strewn around the place but this original one is still fun to blast through.
41. The Room: Old Sins: flat-out incredible stuff as always; lying in bed with my tablet working my way through their world of sinister, intricate, beautifully tactile puzzle boxes is a total joy. Am I really the only one here who plays these games? What the hell is wrong with you all?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:55 

No, you’re not, I’ve conpleted all four. They are, indeed, very good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:47 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
No, you’re not, I’ve conpleted all four. They are, indeed, very good.

If you're ever looking for something in the same vein, The House of Da Vinci is basically a total rip-off of The Room games but produced with a similar level of quality.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 22:19 
Paws for thought

3) We Were Here (PC)
4) We Were Here Too (PC)
7) Persona 5 (PS4)
It's like Persona 4, but fiveier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:16 
Excellent Member

1. The Magic Circle
3. Old Man's Journey
4. Bohemian Killing
5. Hidden Folks
8. Outlast
10. Homefront
12. Red
13. Evo Explores
15. Thief
16. The Frostrune
17. THOR.N
18. Hitchhiker
20. Crescent Bay
22. The Park
23. Accounting+
24. Seasons After Fall
29. Life is Strange
31. There is no Game
32. Papers, Please
33. INSIDE
34. Little Nightmares
35. GNOG
36. Here They Lie
37. Xon Episode Four
38. Escape Logan Estate
39. Bean Dreams
40. Bean's Quest
41. The Room: Old Sins

42. Bluebird of Happiness: short well-presented puzzle game for Android with logical puzzles and an aesthetic that masks some sinister shit in that Undertale tradition.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grim... wrote:
1) I Expect You To Die (PS4 : PSVR)
2) Prey (PS4)
3) Sniper Elite 4 (PS4)
4) RimWorld (PC)
5) Titanfall 2 (PS4)

6) Star Trek: Bridge Commander

It's not exactly long, but we took an extended break from it in protest to Myp not being able to join us, and went back and finished the campaign a couple of days ago.

There's hardly anything to it, it looks ropey, but the fun to be had with your friends in the playground it provides is excellent.

"All ahead full, Helm."
"All ahead full into the fucking great big asteroid?"
"Well you fly around the asteroid, don't you?"
"Why didn't you say that, then?"
"JUST DRIVE THE FUCKING WHIP!"

"Helm, why are we coming about?!"
"So we can shoot the other Warbird."
"We're heading for the anomaly, not shooting! Get back on course!"
"But we need to kill it!"
"How about you concentrate on the steering wheel and I concentrate on CAPTAINING THE FUCKING SHIP?"

"Engineering, why are our shields down?"
"Er..."
"Engineering, why is there no power to the shields?!"
"I thought the engines needed more power..."
"And not the shields? In a fight?!"
"Er..."

[Four Warbirds down, two to go]
Captain: Oh, wait...
[Red alert siren sounds]

There are randomly generated missions which step up the difficulty, but they seem a bit... Fiddly. Still, I can see myself getting back into the big chair several times yet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

To my mind, it's the perfect VR experience. The adaptive audio in particular really makes it feel like you're on the bridge of a ship.

The actual missions are so simple (not to play, but the amount that goes into them) that it's a real shame there aren't more of them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:01 
UltraMod

I'd be happy to give it another try in multiplayer. Maybe one PS4 guy should test it with me first to see if we can get crossplay working.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

We've finished it now ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 13:09 

My proudest moment:

(flying through asteroid field)
<captain> Don't you scratch my ship, helm!
<helm> I'm not going to hit it!
<tactical> Captain, incoming hail from the USS Ron Howard.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 15:03 
Paws for thought

Lonewolves wrote:
I'd be happy to give it another try in multiplayer. Maybe one PS4 guy should test it with me first to see if we can get crossplay working.

And if you want another pc berk as well, I'd be able to get it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 15:50 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
1) Homefront (PC)
2) SUPERHOT VR (PSVR)
4) Uncanny Valley (PS4)
6) Layers of Fear (PC)
8 ) Corgi Warlock (PC)
10) Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
14) Gears of War 4 (X1X)

15) Persona 5 (PS4)

A brilliant AAA JRPG. It only took 108 hours to finish the campaign but I did wobble near the end when I was being beaten by some grossly unfair enemy, however smashing the difficulty down saw me breeze through like a big old cheating cheater. It was either that or jack it in and I’m not averse to a bit of a cheat where my enjoyment was being ruined especially so close to the end.

I was less interested in the story and the fighting and more interested with hanging out with my in-game friends shooting the breeze, making them coffee, watching movies, reading comics and playing video games. And, best of all, pursuing the true love of my life Hifumi and, ultimately, having lovely anal with her. I’m seriously going to miss those guys. Well, until Persona 5 Dance Dance Dance Your Pants Off comes out which will probably be a nice rhymth action game where you time your rhythmic button presses into an ever increasing rapid pounding and ultimate crescendo where your fingers cramp up. Then Hifumi says thank you and finally gives up her cholocate.

10/10.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 17:38 
UltraMod

Mr Dave wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

And if you want another pc berk as well, I'd be able to get it.

We could with another two really.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 13:51 
Excellent Member

1. The Magic Circle
3. Old Man's Journey
4. Bohemian Killing
5. Hidden Folks
8. Outlast
10. Homefront
12. Red
13. Evo Explores
15. Thief
16. The Frostrune
17. THOR.N
18. Hitchhiker
20. Crescent Bay
22. The Park
23. Accounting+
24. Seasons After Fall
29. Life is Strange
31. There is no Game
32. Papers, Please
33. INSIDE
34. Little Nightmares
35. GNOG
36. Here They Lie
37. Xon Episode Four
38. Escape Logan Estate
39. Bean Dreams
40. Bean's Quest

42. Bluebird of Happiness
43. Sally's Law: mechanically and thematically interesting puzzle-platformer for Android.

You play through each level twice: first with Sally and then again with her father. Sally always auto-rolls forward but can jump, whereas you have full control of father's movement but he can't jump. As you roll through the level with Sally all these gates automatically open as you reach them and obstacles disappear magically. As you subsequently play through with father, Sally is also moving through the level mirroring your earlier playthrough precisely. Your job as father is to flatten obstacles and hit buttons to clear the way for Sally, if she hits anything you restart. When you do need to jump as father your only option is to 'bounce' off of Sally, which means synchronising father with Sally as she inexorably rolls forward.

The narrative throughout looks at their relationship with each other in the years since mother died. Sally laments the growing distance between them and her father's unsupportive attitude to her ambition of moving to the city for a career. Father in turn spends his time fretting for Sally's safety and happiness because, having lost one loved one, he's desperate to protect the family he has left. As each level plays out you see situations from both points of view which demonstrates that both are trying to make the other happy, in spite of their misunderstandings between them. The mechanics of the game inform and reinforce the story in a really nice way. The only imbalance is that it's easy to read Sally as being a bit of a prick, given that she's rambling on about her father not being there for her while utterly oblivious to all his frantic background machinations just to make her path through life smooth and easy.

It's worth me saying that the game itself is incredibly easy and only in a couple of places is it not incredibly obvious what you (as father) need to do and then carry it out. The game does add some extra mechanics as you progress (portals that must be navigated, gates that you have to hold open, etc) but it never makes a lot of these. The story, the way it ties into the mechanics and the lovely aesthetics of the game itself are absolutely what's carrying the day here and if you're looking for a challenge this isn't it. Well worth your time as a mobile game; though I couldn't really recommend it on Steam or the Switch.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 15:31 
UltraMod

Sally is law. Correct.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 19:07 
UltraMod

9. PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS (iOS) - winner winner chicken dinner
10. Bloodborne (PS4) - completed main game (slug ending) + The Old Hunters DLC

Well. It took 78 hours, but I've finally done it. I would say I enjoyed 70% of the game and was frustrated with the rest, mainly the beginning and end. I had to call on Mr Dave to help me with the DLC and the final bosses, but other than that I pretty much did it on my own.

I'm relieved it's over, but I haven't ruled out playing Dark Souls in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 14:48 
Excellent Member

1. The Magic Circle
3. Old Man's Journey
4. Bohemian Killing
5. Hidden Folks
8. Outlast
10. Homefront
12. Red
13. Evo Explores
15. Thief
16. The Frostrune
17. THOR.N
18. Hitchhiker
20. Crescent Bay
22. The Park
23. Accounting+
24. Seasons After Fall
29. Life is Strange
31. There is no Game
32. Papers, Please
33. INSIDE
34. Little Nightmares
35. GNOG
36. Here They Lie
37. Xon Episode Four
38. Escape Logan Estate
39. Bean Dreams
40. Bean's Quest

42. Bluebird of Happiness
43. Sally's Law
44. Stray Cat Doors: room escape game with a very Japanese cat-based theme to it. I'm not a fan of the aesthetic--though it looks good enough in general--but the puzzles were logical and it was fun while it lasted.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 19:28 
Paws for thought

3) We Were Here (PC)
4) We Were Here Too (PC)
7) Persona 5 (PS4)
8) The Sexy Brutale (PC)

A mansion where some people die on a partcicular dayand you have to figure out how to save them and figure out what's going on. all aided by the ability to return to the beginning of the day.

Really rather good, if fairly short.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 23:03 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
1) Homefront (PC)
2) SUPERHOT VR (PSVR)
4) Uncanny Valley (PS4)
6) Layers of Fear (PC)
8 ) Corgi Warlock (PC)
10) Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
14) Gears of War 4 (X1X)
15) Persona 5 (PS4)

16) Shadow of the Colossus (PS4)

Incredibly detailed, gorgeous and beautiful. My only
complaint is that I can’t ever experience it for the first time. I remembered almost everything and smashed through it and the baddies. I stopped to enjoy the fantastic visuals where I could though and found some sweet moments just finding an area I hadn’t been before or an old area reimagined with a fresh lick of paint.

What a lovely game. The best game ever but better yet somehow worse because I’ve played it several times before. Bittersweet.

It got me wondering though, since the girl is resurrected after the ending commotion, does she know she’s alive? Does she think she’s in heaven, hell or some kind of purgatory? She knows nothing of what we did for her.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 15:00 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
1) Homefront (PC)
2) SUPERHOT VR (PSVR)
4) Uncanny Valley (PS4)
6) Layers of Fear (PC)
8 ) Corgi Warlock (PC)
10) Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
14) Gears of War 4 (X1X)
15) Persona 5 (PS4)
16) Shadow of the Colossus (PS4)

17) I Expect You To Die (PSVR)

Well that was jolly bags of fun. It’s far too short and needed a good few more missions to be worthwhile but for the £7 I spent, I was happy with the purchase. VR is great.

By the way, this game is not a good introduction to VR for “normal folk”. Normos had a bad time getting used to pulling in/out objects (the button combination isn’t very intuitive) and often just couldn’t do it. It’s a bit fiddly on the move controllers too given the tiny buttons and placement.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 15:26 
Excellent Member

Satsuma wrote:
By the way, this game is not a good introduction to VR for “normal folk”. Normos had a bad time getting used to pulling in/out objects (the button combination isn’t very intuitive) and often just couldn’t do it. It’s a bit fiddly on the move controllers too given the tiny buttons and placement.

Aye, it's the one thing that really sucks about the game because otherwise it would be an excellent thing to use as a demo to non-gamers. Even after playing it myself for hours I was still struggling with those specific actions. I feel they could've easily implemented some other way of accomplishing that e.g. hold a single button and move your hand up to push away/move your hand down to pull in (or similar).

Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next