Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 18:22 
User avatar
Rude Belittler

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 4739
Lonewolves wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
every time Morrissey opens his mouth I die a little inside.


He has an absolutely fucking awful singing voice.

Yes. Yes he has.


FTFY


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 18:27 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 53224
Location: Liberty City
Err, no.

PS wrestling is shit.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 19:49 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 12374
You try not to let it taint the astonishing, towering magnificence of The Smiths' output (and a decent amount of his solo output in fairness, albeit less and less so in that regard over the years), but it's getting increasingly hard work with the utter fucking shite he's been coming out with for years now, and often quite hateful shite at that.

And yet apparently there are some superb tracks on his latest album, which I'll probably listen to and enjoy.

As cliched as it is, I guess geniuses are often troubled and disturbed and/or disturbing on some level, and Morrissey is (was?) definitely a lyrical genius.

_________________
The Premium YouTube Fruit Machine Emulation Experience - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth
Only £2 per month! *
* Not really.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 19:56 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Joined: 17th Dec, 2008
Posts: 8243
I don’t think he’s disturbed, I just think his new music is pap even by comparison to stuff he released only 15 years ago, and he’s intentionally controversial to regain attention. I also think he’s very careful with his language, enough to be quoted out of context to attract bigger headlines (implying things he didn’t say, despite what he said being bad enough) and leaving enough wriggle room for his fans to accept it as a misquote.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 20:09 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15219
I don't know if he's trying to appear "authentic" or whatever by parroting the views of e.g. the thickest twat in the pub or if those are just his actual views. I don't really care either way. I always thought he was a complete fucking tool.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:17 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 1755
He's a sociopathic, racist, foghorn-voiced empathy-vacuum. (And I like the Smiths.)

Evergreen Viz article from years ago:
Attachment:
IMG_1194.JPG


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:37 
User avatar
SavyGamer

Joined: 29th Apr, 2008
Posts: 7475
Looks like Bryan Singer is finally in hot water.

Production has halted on the Freddie Mercury biopic he's directing, starring your man Rami Malek from Mr Robot. The official story is that he is "ill", but I am pretty sure there's more to it than that.

This one has been a big one for me. I grew up watching the X-Men movies. I still remember going to see the first one in the cinema with my dad, who read the comics when he was a kid. I never heard about the the numerous allegations against him until a couple of years ago, and when you look into it, it's pretty horrific stuff. Lots of allegations that get quietly hushed after the fact, lots of settlements reached, NDAs signed etc. When I first heard the rumours, I just thought it was gossip, and didn't put too much weight into them, but looking over things now it paints a pretty clear picture. There's been a significant number of accusers, he is associated with multiple convicted paedophiles, the story of Brad Renfro and extras hired to work on Apt Pupil, his ties to Kevin Spacey, him deleting his twitter account in the wake of the Weinstein allegations, the creepy as hell stuff his company Digital Entertainment Network produced, Bret Easton Ellis sharing (second hand) stories about what went on at Singer's underage parties, stuff like this and this, and him photographed at one of his parties dressed a priest with his arms around teenage boys.

Scary part is that it's possible he's been able to get away with it, because powerful execs/producers/agents attended a lot of his parties, so I imagine he's had the mindset that he is untouchable (and there is plenty of truth to that). He has the same lawyer as Cosby, Weinstein and Spacey. You'd kind of think with a clientlist like that, you'd have people not wanting to hire that lawyer.

Ian McKellen has been linked to his underage pool parties too. Not enough to hang him on, but I think serious questions need to be asked.

My theory is that he's gone into hiding because he's got wind that a big report on him will be published soon, but maybe not. Depending on how serious things are, I wonder if he's planning to fight them, or to go on the lam.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:01 
Excellent Member

Joined: 5th Dec, 2010
Posts: 3353
That guy you link to on Twitter, Paul Empson is typical of the problem, he claims to have seen Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey being inappropriate with small boys at a party for the Superman Film that Spacey starred in.

That was released in 2006 and 11 years later he is on the twitter confessional bandwagon.

He is a bad as the abusers by nature of his silence.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:26 
User avatar
SavyGamer

Joined: 29th Apr, 2008
Posts: 7475
asfish wrote:
That guy you link to on Twitter, Paul Empson is typical of the problem, he claims to have seen Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey being inappropriate with small boys at a party for the Superman Film that Spacey starred in.

That was released in 2006 and 11 years later he is on the twitter confessional bandwagon.

He is a bad as the abusers by nature of his silence.

It's tough. Guys like these have a lot of money/power. It's not inconceivable that they will resort to all sorts of methods to discredit you. Weinstein hired a private squad of ex-mossad agents to tail and intimidate his victims and journalists.

If you've not got any evidence, it's just your word against theirs.

I'd like to think I'd speak up if I saw something like that, but I don't really know for sure I would.

It's absolutely not as bad as the abusers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:38 
User avatar
EvilTrousers

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3070
I love John Oliver

Quote:
NEW YORK — HBO host John Oliver hammered Dustin Hoffman about allegations of sexual harassment and the actor fired back with a ferocious defense, as a seemingly benign screening became an explosive conversation about Hollywood sexual misconduct on Monday night.

_________________
Everyone but Zardoz is better than me at videogames.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 13:05 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3538
Trousers wrote:
I love John Oliver

Quote:
NEW YORK — HBO host John Oliver hammered Dustin Hoffman about allegations of sexual harassment and the actor fired back with a ferocious defense, as a seemingly benign screening became an explosive conversation about Hollywood sexual misconduct on Monday night.


I also love John Oliver, but:

“It is reflective of who you were. If you’ve given no evidence to show it didn’t [happen] then there was a period of time for a while when you were a creeper around women. It feels like a cop-out to say ‘it wasn’t me.’ Do you understand how that feels like a dismissal?”

So it's on Hoffman to prove he didn't harass? Seriously?

Also this:

“Do you believe this stuff you read?” Hoffman asked.

“Yes,” Oliver replied. “Because there’s no point in [an accuser] lying.”

We've been over this over and over, and it's so so stupid. Maybe Oliver should read Dostoevsky. People aren't rational and do all kinds of stupid shit all the time. They aren't robots.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 13:39 
User avatar
EvilTrousers

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3070
I disagree.

Women have been shouted down or intimidated for years and then they get called liars when they do raise anything and they have nothing, absolutely nothing, to gain from raising historical assaults.

If a few Hollywood actors get made uncomfortable because they haven't fully addressed what happened then boo fucking hoo frankly. The balance of probabilities based on those in the limelight that are admitting such behaviour and that people in power tend to abuse that power is that something happened, so Oliver is right to at least pursue the line of questioning with more vigour than has been in evidence previously.

_________________
Everyone but Zardoz is better than me at videogames.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 13:41 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 53224
Location: Liberty City
Trousers wrote:
I disagree.

Women have been shouted down or intimidated for years and then they get called liars when they do raise anything and they have nothing, absolutely nothing, to gain from raising historical assaults.

If a few Hollywood actors get made uncomfortable because they haven't fully addressed what happened then boo fucking hoo frankly. The balance of probabilities based on those in the limelight that are admitting such behaviour and that people in power tend to abuse that power is that something happened, so Oliver is right to at least pursue the line of questioning with more vigour than has been in evidence previously.

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 13:51 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 12374
Trousers wrote:
I disagree.

Women have been shouted down or intimidated for years and then they get called liars when they do raise anything and they have nothing, absolutely nothing, to gain from raising historical assaults.

If a few Hollywood actors get made uncomfortable because they haven't fully addressed what happened then boo fucking hoo frankly. The balance of probabilities based on those in the limelight that are admitting such behaviour and that people in power tend to abuse that power is that something happened, so Oliver is right to at least pursue the line of questioning with more vigour than has been in evidence previously.


Very germane!

_________________
The Premium YouTube Fruit Machine Emulation Experience - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth
Only £2 per month! *
* Not really.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:09 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3538
Trousers wrote:
I disagree.

Women have been shouted down or intimidated for years and then they get called liars when they do raise anything and they have nothing, absolutely nothing, to gain from raising historical assaults.

If a few Hollywood actors get made uncomfortable because they haven't fully addressed what happened then boo fucking hoo frankly. The balance of probabilities based on those in the limelight that are admitting such behaviour and that people in power tend to abuse that power is that something happened, so Oliver is right to at least pursue the line of questioning with more vigour than has been in evidence previously.


So the burden of proof should change depending on the status of the accused? That's what you're implying?

Also, according to you, the risk of having someone being wrongly accused is negligible because they're rich? I disagree. Also, i do remember when my sister, who is a lawyer, told me in the first year of her career "it's better to have 100 criminals free than to have one innocent in jail". I think i've already quoted here before, and will do again in the future if needed.

Besides, using the term "lying" in what amounts to an accusation of what happened 40 years ago is reducing this to a black and white situation. Memories are malleable and ever changing, and for some reason a 40 year old testimony holds a different weight in a court of law than a 1 year old for example.

EDIT: and now i quote something from the great Joe Miller, from The Expanse: "You know, every time you remember something, Your mind changes it, just a little, Until your best and your worst memories. They're your biggest illusions. "


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:12 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47852
"Chat show host things you've harrassed women" and "in jail" are really very different things.

Which is why one has a higher burden of proof than the other.

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:16 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47852
It's also likely that the vast majority of assault and harrassments currently being reported will never make it to trial because of the weakness of personal testimony and the age of the incidents. Does that mean we should declare everyone innocent and the women all liars?

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:22 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3538
Cras wrote:
It's also likely that the vast majority of assault and harrassments currently being reported will never make it to trial because of the weakness of personal testimony and the age of the incidents. Does that mean we should declare everyone innocent and the women all liars?


Maybe neither? Why the hyperbole? Fortunately the age of "Acts of faith" is past. Courthouses exist for a reason.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:26 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3538
Cras wrote:
"Chat show host things you've harrassed women" and "in jail" are really very different things.

Which is why one has a higher burden of proof than the other.


Burden of proof is burden of proof. Not "higher" or "lower". Even if the person in question doesn't do to jail, name and personal reputation is very important, it may in fact be the most important thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:26 
User avatar
EvilTrousers

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3070
What Cras said basically.

"Oliver is right to at least pursue the line of questioning with more vigour than has been in evidence previously." is hardly "THEY SHOULD ALL BE LOCKED UP"

A Tweet on my timeline that Jon Ronson just highlighted sums up my feelings on it well;

"On the John Oliver thing and so on. The redistribution of discomfort does not mean hating men. It’s a movement of some discomfort from women experiencing things to men facing them."

_________________
Everyone but Zardoz is better than me at videogames.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:35 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3538
Trousers wrote:
What Cras said basically.

"Oliver is right to at least pursue the line of questioning with more vigour than has been in evidence previously." is hardly "THEY SHOULD ALL BE LOCKED UP"
"


Yes, he did question Hoffman, which he did reply that it never happened. Now what? Apparently Oliver isn't happy until Hoffman gives the answer he desires.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:40 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47852
RuySan wrote:
Cras wrote:
"Chat show host things you've harrassed women" and "in jail" are really very different things.

Which is why one has a higher burden of proof than the other.


Burden of proof is burden of proof. Not "higher" or "lower". Even if the person in question doesn't do to jail, name and personal reputation is very important, it may in fact be the most important thing.


You should talk to your sister the lawyer again. There are very many different levels of burden of proof. Civil cases, for example, have a lower burden of proof than criminal ones. Which is why OJ Simpson was found guilty of murder in a civil court but not a criminal one.

Someone being mean to you on a chat show has a lower burden still.

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:41 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 53224
Location: Liberty City
Burden of proof is a legal definition. We've been over this time and time again. Believing victims has nothing to do with court cases or trials or any other legal definitions, considering most victims never press charges for all the reasons we've stated before.

You can believe victims yet still believe in the rule of law. It isn't hard to understand.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:56 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3538
Lonewolves wrote:
Burden of proof is a legal definition. We've been over this time and time again. Believing victims has nothing to do with court cases or trials or any other legal definitions, considering most victims never press charges for all the reasons we've stated before.

You can believe victims yet still believe in the rule of law. It isn't hard to understand.


The thing is, why should I believe anyone I don't know? I don't believe or disbelieve hoffman nor i believe or disbelieve the accuser. I do not know any of them personally. That's for the courts to decide.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:57 
User avatar
Sleepyhead

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 26858
Location: Kidbrooke
RuySan wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Burden of proof is a legal definition. We've been over this time and time again. Believing victims has nothing to do with court cases or trials or any other legal definitions, considering most victims never press charges for all the reasons we've stated before.

You can believe victims yet still believe in the rule of law. It isn't hard to understand.


The thing is, why should I believe anyone I don't know? I don't believe or disbelieve hoffman nor i believe or disbelieve the accuser. I do not know any of them personally. That's for the courts to decide.


But things happen that don’t go to court. If you heard that a friend was being a dick on a night out from a few sources, you wouldn’t assume they were being fine because it didn’t go to court.

_________________
I've got a bad feeling about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:58 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 12374
If 'Rain Man 2, He Still Won't Fly' gets cancelled because of this shit, I'll be very upset.

_________________
The Premium YouTube Fruit Machine Emulation Experience - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth
Only £2 per month! *
* Not really.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 15:59 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 53224
Location: Liberty City
It's weird how it's only sexual assault victims we don't automatically believe. If I say my car has been stolen, everyone is sympathetic. No one asks to see my empty driveway or police report or waits until the alleged burglar is found guilty.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 16:01 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 12374
Sorry to hear about your car man, that sucks.


<< hugs >>

_________________
The Premium YouTube Fruit Machine Emulation Experience - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth
Only £2 per month! *
* Not really.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 16:01 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3538
Curiosity wrote:
RuySan wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Burden of proof is a legal definition. We've been over this time and time again. Believing victims has nothing to do with court cases or trials or any other legal definitions, considering most victims never press charges for all the reasons we've stated before.

You can believe victims yet still believe in the rule of law. It isn't hard to understand.


The thing is, why should I believe anyone I don't know? I don't believe or disbelieve hoffman nor i believe or disbelieve the accuser. I do not know any of them personally. That's for the courts to decide.


But things happen that don’t go to court. If you heard that a friend was being a dick on a night out from a few sources, you wouldn’t assume they were being fine because it didn’t go to court.


You're talking about something personal and people whom i know. I might have believed more or less depending who was the friend being a dick.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 16:02 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 53224
Location: Liberty City
Hearthly wrote:
Sorry to hear about your car man, that sucks.


<< hugs >>

If only. It's been a complete money sink since I got it. :'(

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 16:04 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3538
Lonewolves wrote:
It's weird how it's only sexual assault victims we don't automatically believe. If I say my car has been stolen, everyone is sympathetic. No one asks to see my empty driveway or police report or waits until the alleged burglar is found guilty.


What a silly analogy. When you say your car has been stolen you're not accusing anyone. The potential for slander is zero.

Do you think if this woman accused Hoffman of stealing her car, then everyone would believe?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 16:05 
User avatar
EvilTrousers

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3070
RuySan wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Burden of proof is a legal definition. We've been over this time and time again. Believing victims has nothing to do with court cases or trials or any other legal definitions, considering most victims never press charges for all the reasons we've stated before.

You can believe victims yet still believe in the rule of law. It isn't hard to understand.


The thing is, why should I believe anyone I don't know? I don't believe or disbelieve hoffman nor i believe or disbelieve the accuser. I do not know any of them personally. That's for the courts to decide.


That is effectively saying the ONLY way to resolve these matters is through the courts.

Jimmy Saville was never convicted in a court.

_________________
Everyone but Zardoz is better than me at videogames.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 16:09 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66806
Location: Your Mum
Lonewolves wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Sorry to hear about your car man, that sucks.


<< hugs >>

If only. It's been a complete money sink since I got it. :'(

At least it has cupholders.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 16:10 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3538
Trousers wrote:
RuySan wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Burden of proof is a legal definition. We've been over this time and time again. Believing victims has nothing to do with court cases or trials or any other legal definitions, considering most victims never press charges for all the reasons we've stated before.

You can believe victims yet still believe in the rule of law. It isn't hard to understand.


The thing is, why should I believe anyone I don't know? I don't believe or disbelieve hoffman nor i believe or disbelieve the accuser. I do not know any of them personally. That's for the courts to decide.


That is effectively saying the ONLY way to resolve these matters is through the courts.

Jimmy Saville was never convicted in a court.


Wasn't this a case of there being multiple witnesses corroborating a modus operandi?

Isn't Hoffman a case of "he said/she said" instead?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 16:10 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 53224
Location: Liberty City
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Sorry to hear about your car man, that sucks.


<< hugs >>

If only. It's been a complete money sink since I got it. :'(

At least it has cupholders.

:kiss:

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 16:18 
User avatar
EvilTrousers

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3070
RuySan wrote:
Trousers wrote:
RuySan wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Burden of proof is a legal definition. We've been over this time and time again. Believing victims has nothing to do with court cases or trials or any other legal definitions, considering most victims never press charges for all the reasons we've stated before.

You can believe victims yet still believe in the rule of law. It isn't hard to understand.


The thing is, why should I believe anyone I don't know? I don't believe or disbelieve hoffman nor i believe or disbelieve the accuser. I do not know any of them personally. That's for the courts to decide.


That is effectively saying the ONLY way to resolve these matters is through the courts.

Jimmy Saville was never convicted in a court.


Wasn't this a case of there being multiple witnesses corroborating a modus operandi?

Isn't Hoffman a case of "he said/she said" instead?


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26312001

It always starts off with denial or some attempt to reduce the impact or to undermine the accuser.

_________________
Everyone but Zardoz is better than me at videogames.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 16:28 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3538
Trousers wrote:
RuySan wrote:
Trousers wrote:
RuySan wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Burden of proof is a legal definition. We've been over this time and time again. Believing victims has nothing to do with court cases or trials or any other legal definitions, considering most victims never press charges for all the reasons we've stated before.

You can believe victims yet still believe in the rule of law. It isn't hard to understand.


The thing is, why should I believe anyone I don't know? I don't believe or disbelieve hoffman nor i believe or disbelieve the accuser. I do not know any of them personally. That's for the courts to decide.


That is effectively saying the ONLY way to resolve these matters is through the courts.

Jimmy Saville was never convicted in a court.


Wasn't this a case of there being multiple witnesses corroborating a modus operandi?

Isn't Hoffman a case of "he said/she said" instead?


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26312001

It always starts off with denial or some attempt to reduce the impact or to undermine the accuser.


We had a similar case here. Our ex-most respected TV presenter was more than 10 years in jail for being a peadophile.

Which he was most certainly was. But in the same case every day there was a new name of a celebrity being called as belonging into the same paedophile ring. The victims lawyer said to a tv reporter "children never lie" and that was indeed the case with the public opinion because many of those accused had their names forever smeared. I don't doubt there were many molesters that escaped conviction but there were many accused that were cleared of all charges were their careers finished.

So i don't know where this "people never believe the victims" comes from.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 16:29 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3538
Also, I would most certainly believe a child much faster than an adult, so it's not as if i'm any different.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 16:31 
User avatar
EvilTrousers

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3070
RuySan wrote:
We had a similar case here. Our ex-most respected TV presenter was more than 10 years in jail for being a peadophile.

Which he was most certainly was. But in the same case every day there was a new name of a celebrity being called as belonging into the same paedophile ring. The victims lawyer said to a tv reporter "children never lie" and that was indeed the case with the public opinion because many of those accused had their names forever smeared. I don't doubt there were many molesters that escaped conviction but there were many accused that were cleared of all charges were their careers finished.

So i don't know where this "people never believe the victims" comes from.


I said it starts off with denials - I certainly said didn't say "never". Those people that do come forward first are brave as fuck because they are going to face the most vehement denials and character assassinations.

_________________
Everyone but Zardoz is better than me at videogames.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 20:24 
User avatar
SavyGamer

Joined: 29th Apr, 2008
Posts: 7475
Looks like Bryan Singer has been fully fired, and his production company kicked out of the fox studios.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 20:41 
Excellent Member

Joined: 5th Dec, 2010
Posts: 3353
Quote:
Jimmy Saville was never convicted in a court.


He did die before all of his abuse came to light!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 20:44 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45070
Location: West Yorkshire
asfish wrote:
Quote:
Jimmy Saville was never convicted in a court.


He did die before all of his abuse came to light!


Because nobody spoke out, as he was in a position of power. Which is sort of a point here

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:09 
User avatar
SavyGamer

Joined: 29th Apr, 2008
Posts: 7475
Max Landis accused of having beaten up several women. Seemingly those he was in abusive relationships with.

Fourth high profile instance of something along these lines from Netflix in the last few months, right? I wonder if it's them being new kids on the block and not having policies to combat this stuff. Or maybe not being as experienced in covering it up. Or not having as many establishment connections etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:29 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 53224
Location: Liberty City
A lot of people said he was a complete arsehole which was enough to put me off watching Dirk Gently, so I'm not entirely surprised by this.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:34 
User avatar
SavyGamer

Joined: 29th Apr, 2008
Posts: 7475
Yeah Chronicle was good, but rest of his work I've seen has been pretty bad.

And from what I've seen him voluntarily say/do publicly I thought he was probably a bit of a jerk, so hearing these allegations about his private life didn't come as much of a surprise.

Being the son of a famous Hollywood director is probably somewhat conducive to thinking you can get away with anything. Kinda feels like he's fallen upward for most of his career.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:37 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 20445
Closest fitting thread I could find: I Made the Pizza Cinnamon Rolls from Mario Batali’s Sexual Misconduct Apology Letter

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:54 
User avatar
EvilTrousers

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3070
Mimi wrote:


I just read that after you Tweeted it and thought it was excellent. Not the rolls though.

The Scroobius Pip Distraction Pieces podcast with Lena Heady covers the subject well - Lena Heady seems to be a bit awesome.

_________________
Everyone but Zardoz is better than me at videogames.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 23:32 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 53224
Location: Liberty City
Aziz Ansari. :'(

https://babe.net/2018/01/13/aziz-ansari ... ssion=true

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:12 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66806
Location: Your Mum
Eliza "Faith off Buffy" Dushku was apparently assaulted on the set of True Lies by her stunt coordinator.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... llegations

She was twelve.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hollywood Assaults
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:02 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47852
Fucking hell

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KovacsC, Pod People, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.