Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Can you swim?
Yes 89%  89%  [ 26 ]
No 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Yes, but only in a position of what looks like somebody sitting in a recliner and moving their hands and feet to propel them in this half-sitting, half-laying back stance. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 29
 Post subject: Re: Can you swim?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:12 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Mimi wrote:
How flirty are you?

Very

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 15:33 

I taught myself to swim last Sunday. Only widths so far but I did about 12-ish. Haven’t braved lengths yet as the deep end is deeper than I am tall, and I am scared, but I am happy that I taught myself somehow.

I did more swimming yesterday to prove to my friend it was not a fluke.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 15:39 
Hibernating Druid

You'll gain confidence by keeping at it. Well done!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 15:40 
Awesome
Yes

To add to this, I have seen said swimming, and it is awesome and I am very proud of her.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 15:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

I wish I could swim, but I can't, for multiple reasons.

As a kid I was very short sighted, and had to try to swim without glasses. Not being able to see anything in a scary environment is not good for learning.
Used to be taken every week with the school, and if you couldn't swim they didn't give a shit and basically pushed you in if you were a bit timid, which was awful. Again, increasing the fear factor when you are already scared is bad thing for kids.
I don't float. To stay above water is a fuck load of effort for me, I can't just lie back and wiggle my hands like some people. If I'm not moving at full speed forwards, I'm moving at full speed straight downwards. The amount of people who tell me that everyone floats and I'm doing it wrong. It's a bit frustrating to say the least. The only thing that shuts them up is to go in the water with them and have them see what happens.
I find being in the water very claustrophobic, which is weird. As soon as my chest is under water it freaks me out, the extra pressure making breathing feel different. I'm not in the slightest bit claustrophobic in other small places, it's just water that freaks me out. I expect it is to do with my experiences of swimming as a kid.

So, yeah, I can't swim :D

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 15:55 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I hate swimming but I am stubborn. Open water makes me panic, but I still can do 1.2 miles in it (mix of crael and breast stroke)

well done Mimi.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 16:11 
Unpossible!

I don't float either, unless I'm on my back.

Well done, Mimi!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 16:21 
Comfortably Dumb

Trooper wrote:
Used to be taken every week with the school, and if you couldn't swim they didn't give a shit and basically pushed you in if you were a bit timid, which was awful.

My old school was a bit like that. They'd basically push everyone equally regardless of fitness and ability, so I'm swim my hardest and end up swallowing a load of water as I got more and more breathless and then after the lesson, I'd be throwing up. Fun times.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 16:59 
Excellent Member

Not really a strong swimmer and as such don't like to be in deep water unless land or something solid to grab onto is close by.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 17:05 

I don’t float either, Trooper, and totally understand the frustration at everyone telling you that everybody floats. If everyone floated, drowning would be impossible!

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I can float now, in very specific circumstances and conditions. Dead still water. On my back. Completely flat as a plank. No moving. Feeling brave. As soon as I stop one of those things I feel less brave and bend in the middle and then floating stops.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 17:34 
ugvm'er at heart...

devilman wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Used to be taken every week with the school, and if you couldn't swim they didn't give a shit and basically pushed you in if you were a bit timid, which was awful.

My old school was a bit like that. They'd basically push everyone equally regardless of fitness and ability, so I'm swim my hardest and end up swallowing a load of water as I got more and more breathless and then after the lesson, I'd be throwing up. Fun times.

I'm talking about physical pushing into the water though. i.e. i'd be standing on the side trying to pluck up the courage to jump in, and the "teacher" would come up behind me and physically shove me in. If you want to give a young kid fear of water, that's a pretty good way of going about it! :D I'm pretty sure that sort of thing is essentially assault these days ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 17:37 

It’s certainly unhelpful, and upsetting.

I couldn’t swim simply out of fear. I knew I was physically able to, but panic stopped me. It’s taken me nearly a year to work up the courage to just do it, and I finally did last Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 17:46 
sneering elitist

Mimi wrote:
I don’t float either, Trooper, and totally understand the frustration at everyone telling you that everybody floats. If everyone floated, drowning would be impossible!

:this:

One of the most frustrating parts of being a shit swimmer is everyone who can swim tells me "you can just float!" and I CAN'T FLOAT AND THAT LINE IS NOT HELPFUL. >:(

Also well done Mimi on your widths :luv:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 17:55 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Stop not floating, weirdos.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 18:27 
chewbacca -future arc welder

I can't float. I've genuinely tried for quite a long time before but nope, straight down. I'm probably too dense. And I detest swimming, that's what botes are for.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 18:34 

krazywookie wrote:
I can't float. I've genuinely tried for quite a long time before but nope, straight down. I'm probably too dense. And I detest swimming, that's what botes are for.

The friend I proved my swimming excellence to yesterday kept in telling me I could definitely float. To prove this she held me at the surface of the water, got me in the perfect t floaty position, and slowly let go, nearly killing me.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 19:02 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mimi wrote:
krazywookie wrote:

The friend I proved my swimming excellence to yesterday kept in telling me I could definitely float. To prove this she held me at the surface of the water, got me in the perfect t floaty position, and slowly let go, nearly killing me.

Yeah, that's how i proved to my ex I don't float, nobody believes until they physically do that test. It's inconvenient.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 19:11 
UltraMod

I can't float either. I don't particularly enjoy swimming, but I'm not afraid of it either. It's just boring and I hate getting water up my nose or in my eyes.

Well done, Mimi!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 19:21 

Trooper wrote:
Mimi wrote:
krazywookie wrote:

Yeah, that's how i proved to my ex I don't float, nobody believes until they physically do that test. It's inconvenient.

Yup! My friend said ‘well, that’s odd...?’ :DD

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I can swim like a motherfucker.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:14 
Noob as of 6/8/10

That could be brill or rubbish.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:37 
ugvm'er at heart...

Lots of hip action involved I imagine.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 21:14 
Participant in dramatic games

Mimi wrote:
I taught myself to swim last Sunday. Only widths so far but I did about 12-ish. Haven’t braved lengths yet as the deep end is deeper than I am tall, and I am scared, but I am happy that I taught myself somehow.

I did more swimming yesterday to prove to my friend it was not a fluke.

Jay!

In nl everybody needs t swim at least a certain level because of all the water. Recently they do ot a school anymore which leads to some groups not learning to sqom. Which is bery vad.

I got a, b, c , rescue, padi (owd, turtles, shore).

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 21:21 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

romanista wrote:

In nl everybody needs t swim at least a certain level because of all the water. .

Romanista, yesterday:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 14:10 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Those armbands are rubbish. He’s even managed to lose one of them.

And why aren’t those two people in the background using the heads instead of shitting on deck?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 22:36 

I tried opening my eyes underwater today to look around at peoples feet and stuff but all I could see was blurry shapes. I was not impressed.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 22:43 

Yeah? I haven't tried that, is it not sore?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 22:51 

No, not at all. I thought it would be, but the fumes from a chlorinated pisting far more than the actual water. Mind you, I was in a brine pool (Still chlorinated, but also salt water) so I’m not sure if that makes a difference, because of salt in tears?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 22:53 

I’d say you weren’t missing out on much, apartcrrom tve experience. Maybe I need goggles (I don’t, really. I don’t need to see people’s feet underwater. I actually hate feet. I don’t really know why I was looking. I guess just to see if I could?)

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 23:20 

Think it might be clearer in fresh water? Give it a try and report back please.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 23:55 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Still blurry in fresh water. You DO need goggles to see clearly, but even that’s a bit complicated as they have to be a really good fit and they can steam up.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:00 
Can you dig it?

I came late to swimming. I'll never be 'good' at it but am now quite happy in any depth of water and can play and have fun, with care. We did those awful group lessons at school where all the non-sport kids (like me, at the time) ended up basically being embarrassed and uncomfortable. Totally demoralising.

Weekend group lessons when I was a kid (maybe 10-12 years old, I can't really remember) didn't get me far, I could uncoordinatedly thrash my way across a width, just, and after staggeringly little progress we all gave up and resigned ourselves to being a mostly non-swimming family.

But then, when I went away on holiday to Magaluf with the young future Lady T at around 21 years old (I can't really remember how old I was TBH), I finally cracked it. Lady T basically told me to slow down, relax, and try a more graceful coordinated movement instead of thrashing arms and legs around... and that was it, off I went, happily swimming lengths within a few days. It made me incredibly happy, but also quite pissed off that the organised lessons hadn't managed to even realise to try getting such a simple message through. Instead of trying to teach 3 or 4 different strokes, just getting one right was enough to build confidence, begin having fun, get comfortable in the water.

As for floating... well, I think that most people can float but there are degrees of what may be called 'floating' and it takes some time and practice. I used to just sink like a stone too until I realised that it's not quite as simple as it seems - it is possible for me now but it takes a bit of calm effort. As daft as it may sound, the realisation that I wasn't going to float 'on' the surface, but under it, with just a bit poking out ( :hat: ) of the water, made a huge mental difference. Takes effort (a little bit core muscle effort too) - if you want to float with your nose/mouth out of the water it's not a passive activity

I don't know if it'll help you, but it took me quite some time to get comfortable enough to try floating without feeling panic-y if/when I slipped under more, but it finally came - probably years after I could swim 'lengths'. When I finally thought about it and realised that the first step is to get the lungs nice and full of air, my chest becomes like the 'barrel' that'll float. Then, kind of push away a little, lay back and mentally relax, but keep my lungs full and puff my chest out and up - but don't worry about letting the head go back - use the air in the chest to keep afloat. OK, but then my legs sink downwards and take me with them, right... but not if I use my core, tummy and back muscles to keep my pelvis up near the surface - not trying to thrust my junk out of the water, but just to stop my legs from slipping under me. Then gentle tension in the upper legs to hold them outwards. Doesn't really matter too much about the lower legs so much for me, a very slow and gentle kick or motion is enough to keep them up. Gently use arms to move yourself around just a touch. And of course, my head is mostly under water but the important breathy-bits are either out, or vey close to the surface and can easily pop up if I move my neck. Trying to 'sit up' will not work.

It's maybe not so much floating as just slowly, very slowly, swimming nowhere in particular. It's also far, far easier in the salty sea - but, waves and stuff.

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next