And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:52 
Bad Girl

KovacsC wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
It's possible to make an informed decision about a game without actually playing it.

If you say so. I don't think it is really.

That’s daft as shit. Haven’t you ever in your entire life read a review in a magazine or on a gaming site to decide whether to buy a game? They exist to inform consumers about the quality of games. People haven’t got the money to buy all the games on the off chance that they might like it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:12 
Excellent Member

KovacsC wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
It's possible to make an informed decision about a game without actually playing it.

See, Bamba did it here and no one batted an eyelid.

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 8#p1007778

I can't say I have read a review, saying carrots are bad, so I won't like carrots.. I will know once I have tried carrots.

This is sort-of technically true, but in reality people make decisions all day every day about stuff they might/might not like based on not actually experiencing that thing because lifetimes are finite and it's the only way to exist. In this case it's even more true because RDR2 is GTA with horses so if you've played the most recent GTA game then you've got a very good basis for making that decision depending on how much you enjoyed GTA. I didn't think a great deal of it myself and generally agree with Hearthly's reasons for not bothering with RDR2.

Also, that's a good video that says interesting things about game design in a funny and very watchable way so it's worth checking out whatever your opinions on RDR2.

That said, for the sake of balance, I think Hearthly's--entirely valid--message about RDR2 has been more than successfully delivered at this point and continuing to flog this already thoroughly deceased horse won't be making him any more popular. Indeed, to address his own point, the likely reason no one batted an eyelid when I said something very similar is that I generally delivered my opinion and then moved on; something he seems to struggle to do in general. And I say that expecting it to make no difference though because when has it ever?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I think it's perfectly valid to decide you don't like the look of something and don't want to play it. What comes across a weird is the seemingly weekly updates of more videos confirming that yes, Hearthly still doesn't want to play it this week, for those keeping track.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:35 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
I think it's perfectly valid to decide you don't like the look of something and don't want to play it. What comes across a weird is the seemingly weekly updates of more videos confirming that yes, Hearthly still doesn't want to play it this week, for those keeping track.

:this:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:50 
Hello Hello Hello

See, you're completely misinterpreting my intentions if that's how it comes across, and DocG missed the mark by a million miles in this post here:

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 8#p1005538

The most recent video I posted the link to is fantastic. Really well made, genuinely entertaining and makes a load of valid points in a constantly amusing fashion - I figured a few of the folks here would enjoy it, so thought I'd share the link with you. (I also made a very specific point of adding the information that he's talking about Rockstar's general game design, not just specifically RDR2.)

I honestly considered putting it another thread precisely because I was wary of being accused of deliberately flogging a dead horse to annoy people, but this thread is clearly the best fit for it so I put it here, and I did so because I figured some of you would like it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 13:31 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
I honestly considered putting it another thread precisely because I was wary of being accused of deliberately flogging a dead horse to annoy people, but this thread is clearly the best fit for it so I put it here, and I did so because I figured some of you would like it.

That's entirely fair in itself, but in context of your other posts in this thread I don't think anyone can be blamed for being all, "Ffs Hearthly!"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 13:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doc may be massively missing the mark regarding your intentions, but that is how it comes across. Like you're continuing to post videos as some way of proving that your initial decision to dislike the game was the correct one. I'm sure that's not the case, as you say, but I don't think you can really blame people for thinking that if you don't like the look of a game, move on to something else.

I'm sure you'd feel the same if someone was dropping regular diss videos in the WoW or Hearthstone threads, for example.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 14:13 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I haven’t watched the 30 minute long video and neither am I going to. However I’m going to speculate that it talks about the fact that nearly all of the game is entirely unnecessary fluff compared to the storyline.

Which it is. You don’t need to hunt, or do any of the collectibles, or monitor your heat/weight/strength/horse bonding or contribute to the ledger or maintain your honour or any other 100 things to finish and enjoy the game.

But you can if you want. However aside from a different ending under the honour system not participating on any of them will not affect your ability to complete all of the 107 story missions and enjoy them/not enjoy them if they are the reason you’re playing the game. This is the same as every other rockstar open world game with the huge number of optional side distractions and so is nothing new in the slightest.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 15:15 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Satsuma wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

That’s daft as shit. Haven’t you ever in your entire life read a review in a magazine or on a gaming site to decide whether to buy a game? They exist to inform consumers about the quality of games. People haven’t got the money to buy all the games on the off chance that they might like it.

Yes of course. I will do that once or twice. I won't keep doing it, and posting in a thread to use videos to back my views.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 15:16 

Hearthly wrote:
Huh?

Quick example, Mrs Hearthly hates any sort of torture scene in a film or programme, like, she seriously can't watch them. The ear scene in Reservoir Dogs? Way off her scale, even though of course you don't actually see the ear getting cut off.

There's a French horror film called 'Martyrs', part of its Wiki entry reads as follows.

Quote:
Their experiments inflict systematic acts of torture upon young women in the belief that their suffering will result in a transcendental insight into the world beyond this one. Mademoiselle also believes the world is divided into victims (people who can't hold tortures and fall into madness, like Lucie and Sarah) and martyrs (people who "accept" tortures and transcend).

Anna becomes the group's latest subject. After a period of being beaten and degraded, Anna hallucinates a conversation with Lucie, and is later told she has progressed further than any other test subject, and has reached the "final stage." She is flayed alive and survives the procedure, entering a state that is "euphoric" and likened to achieving transcendence.

So Mrs Hearthly needs to sit down and watch this film to decide she doesn't like it? Or do you reckon she could determine with a high degree of confidence she wouldn't enjoy it without ever seeing a single second of it?

Yes but will you check 15 different reviews and post them in a thread in which people are enjoying that film?

Or, will you look, and go that is not for Me and not watch it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 15:41 
Bad Girl

For completeness, I like NakeyJakey’s videos and have been subbed for ages.

I would watch his videos.

I have no objections to one of his videos being posted.

I am pleased if even one person watched a NakeyJakey video that wouldn’t otherwise know about him because I like his content.

I consider the NakeyJakey video makes good points about RDR2.

There was a sustained lull in posting negative RDR posting from hearthy that I didn’t find it objectionable.

I accept Hearthy’s comments about where to post his video.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 15:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Oh he can post it where he likes, obv

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 15:50 

Cras wrote:
Oh he can post it where he likes, obv

of course.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 18:22 
Paws for thought

Satsuma wrote:
I am pleased if even one person watched a NakeyJakey video that wouldn’t otherwise know about him because I like his content.

Is this going to be like Jonarobs youtube reviewer recommendation, where he turns out to be a colossal bellend.

(And surely all the youtube gamer you need is Kwebbelkop)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:02 
Hello Hello Hello

I think my intentions in this thread are being misunderstood, I take Cras's point that it may look like I'm trying to piss on chips or generally just troll about, but I'm geniunely not. (And on his point, I'd be more than happy to do discuss WoW or Hearthstone in their threads, with critical comments or otherwise.)

I'm not just posting links to any random video I can find that's critical of the game, in every case these are videos I've watched in full, from content creators I respect, which I felt made good points in a watchable fashion, and thought that other folks may enjoy watching them. (And the number of videos I've watched that I haven't mentioned or posted links to here, far outweighs those that I have.)

And as best I can recall, none of the videos are saying that the game is bad, quite the opposite in fact, but each of them are making points around the fact that whilst Rockstar may be extending the visual fidelity and world creation to new heights, the mechanics of many aspects of their games simply aren't good enough these days. (I mean, we all watched Satsuma's video of his gunfight, right?)

One of the main bones of contention seems to be 'I haven't even played the game' but I've played damn near every other Rockstar game and it's abundantly clear from the hours of videos I've watched about RDR2, the reviews I've read, the conversations I've had with my friends about it, and the many comments in this thread - that this game truly is Rockstar 101 with more shinies, so I know its gameplay beats perfectly well.

I don't what else to say really? I like analysing things and going into great detail, (if a film catches my attention, I'll watch analysis videos well in excess of the running length of the actual film), and if me posting links to what I think are interesting and entertaining videos annoys you then I'm sorry, because it's absolutely not my intention. (And it's not like I'm averse to taking the time to write my own very detailed posts about games, off the top of my head Bioshock Infinite, Dishonored 1 and 2, Borderlands 2, DOOM, God Of War, for example.)

Anyway, NakeyJakey is arguably the best of the lot, which is why I posted the link. Not to 'remind' everyone of my issues with RDR2, but to give visibility to a great video I think a lot of folks here would enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 13:52 
Excellent Member

Got to the end of chapter 6 yesterday....

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
When Arthur put his hat on Johns head, I must've got dust in my eye.

I haven't played rdr, so I had no idea we'd been introduced to these people in the previous game, which is set after rdr2. I think if you haven't played rdr, you should probably read about the story before playing rdr2.
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I didn't understand the epilogue until I went online to read about it, which I did because after the emotion and tension of chapter 6 and the build-up to it, epilogue 1 seemed way off base. Until then, I had avoided all spoilers. I got the good ending, I didn't find high honor difficult or an issue to maintain throughout the game. I didn't do any of the bandit challenged, unless they came as a result of the story, and I generally just played it how I felt I wanted to.
So old Arthur died up on the cliff, looking at the sunset. Epilogue 1 so far seems a bit pointless? I get now that it is filling the blank between rdr and rdr2 but I'm sad that it's Johns story now and not Arthur's. When the Marston family are in the wagon, heading the Strawberry, Jack mentions King Arthur and I hoped for some nostalgic rememberance but no. The saved that family and they don't even mention him when his name is brought up. I invested in Arthur, and Tesco's Finest (my best horse that I had since first going into Saint Denis sometime in chapter 3), now they're dead, gone and forgotten. I've lost interest in the game now, I wanted to go back and do the challenges and find all the things I needed to find but it seems pointless now without Arthur...

Anyone feel like that? And is it best to just carry on playing and get through?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 14:00 

I felt the same, but I think they anticipated this and there's lots of things they've put in there, people John can go talk to who Arthur helped out etc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:56 
Excellent Member

Hullo all, I've just bought Red Dead on Steam. At last, my dreams of riding the open range made digital flesh! I've played all of forty minutes on the main campaign, which I believe is called 'Benchmark' and involves generating satisfying numbers by clicking on mysterious words like 'tessalation' and 'obtuse parmesan pipeline bias'. Finally knocking up 32, 44 and 61 respectively on minimum, average and high on the FPS count at 1440p, most settings medium, couple high, couple low, lovely textures, I'm ready to roll.

Good lord, it looks rather purdy, don't it?

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Run around in the snow!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 13:38 
Excellent Member

How do I make snow angels? I can't find the key binding.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 22:24 
Excellent Member

This is, without doubt, the most incredible looking game I have ever played.

I've just finished Chapter One, I'm now camped out at this place called Horseshoe Bend. Just had a shave, dressed for a nice potter around, and stopped by to listen to the phonograph play some light opera. The ride from the snowy wilderness to the camp on a cart was something, just being able to drink in all that scenery. I thing I must have said, "Woah," out loud at least eight or ten times playing this game so far. A few moments it looked as if I was watching a film, especially a distance shot of the wagon train skirting a lake. It's running pretty good on my 1060. I've knocked a few more options to low to enable me to go high shadows, but have discovered that the low settings still look amazing, and have found which are the superfluous performance hogs. (Reflections, near volumetric lighting, I'm looking at you.) On the benchmark setting I'm still rocking 27-36-59 which ain't bad at all.

Controls are a bit fiddly, takes a bit of getting used to. So many keys! It's almost like a sim rather than a third person shooter. Also after a mission I'll be cheerfully informed I failed in lots of things in getting a silver or gold star, which is mainly because I like to potter around just looking at things so much. And why not? The world is gorgeous, and the characters fun. I'm going to try and push Arthur Morgan a bit more to the honourable side if I can, but I suspect the joy of lassoing people will keep me from marching to far up the path of righteousness.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 22:32 
Skillmeister

Have you had any connection issues?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 22:58 
Excellent Member

Sometimes the Rockstar launcher takes a minute, but so far so good, knock on wood.

I'm honestly just stood in the middle of camp completely overwhelmed. I'm not sure where to start!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 23:10 
Skillmeister

I miss that feeling. My first trip to the swamps was special.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 23:22 
Excellent Member

Within five minutes of leaving camp, hunted a deer and then saw a man get kicked in the head by his own horse. Seemed churlish to loot his body so I left his pockets alone, though I feel oddly bad about just leaving his corpse lying out there. I ride on.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 23:43 
Skillmeister

I saw that poor man die so many times. He repeats a lot, sadly. Unlike the Ku Klux Derps who I'd really like to see again.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 23:54 
Excellent Member

Maybe it's his curse, to wander the Earth being kicked in the head time and again. Oh, noticed that the Rockstar Social Club is offline in game, so yeah, looks like that's a thing. Night is falling, think I might ride into town and see if there are any card games going.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:12 
Excellent Member

I have now found the camera mode. I am now lost forever...

Attachment:
RDR2 Batch 1 Screens (2).jpg

Attachment:
RDR2 Batch 1 Screens (3).jpg

Attachment:
RDR2 Batch 1 Screens (1).jpg

Attachment:
RDR2 Batch 1 Screens (4).jpg

Attachment:
RDR2 Batch 1 Screens (5).jpg

Attachment:
RDR2 Batch 1 Screens (6).jpg

So far I am acting with Much Honour. So much so Worf would give me a curt approval nod. Failed to hunt a legendary bear but got a horse-brush, which was a fine consolation prize. Had a bath after getting unpleasantly dirty in a street brawl. Hoarded my precious $87 and fifty cents like a miser and didn't plump for the optional extra. I'm having a blast. I wouldn't mind doing some bounty-hunting for the local sheriff, but I'm not sure if that's an option yet. Oh, and hunting's quite fun.

Happened across a coal mining town as well that looks incredible. Especially the way the houses are stacked up on two levels, with the washing strung out. The detail and art design in this game are astounding.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:45 
Skillmeister

I remember Yahtzee moaning about the world being too lovely with areas that don't have story connected and I never wanted to lynch him more.

(lolz. obv.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:43 
Hello Hello Hello

If you want to tweak the settings to an optimal level whilst maximising framerate, the Digital Foundry guides for this game are very good. There are some settings that are computationally very expensive, but make very little difference to image quality, and vice versa.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 14:04 
Excellent Member

Ta, buddy! I'd already watched that video, spent an age in the settings screens. I'm not fussed about getting 60fps, I'm perfectly content with a low average of 30fps as long as it runs smoothly, so I'm happy with my balance. It seems to be reflections, water and volumetric lighting that out and out murders your card. Funnily enough I found with tesselation on Ultra, even though there wasn't much of a performance hit, the mud became too muddy for me to tolerate. I found myself going, "Yeurch!" just looking at the gelatinous gloop. So down it went again to High. Truly, I am the Jerry Seinfeld of cowboy-land.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 18:18 
Excellent Member

Obligatory shout of, "LENNY!"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 18:39 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

LENNY!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 18:47 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
LENNY!

WHU, IS THAT YEW, LENNY?!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 21:17 
chewbacca -future arc welder

LENNAY!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 21:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

LENN-AAAA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:59 
Skillmeister

I'd forgot how many tics I'd inherited from this game. AMERICAN BADGER! Stay away from me-ee! AMERICAN BADGER! Mama let me be-ee! Every. time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:48 
Hello Hello Hello

I might play this if Pete says it's good as he has better taste than most.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:21 
Unpossible!

Hearthly wrote:
I might play this if Pete says it's good as he has better taste than most.

The thousands and thousands of positive reviews not enough?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:26 
Hello Hello Hello

We all have our system.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 13:32 
Excellent Member

Could weigh in a bit with my thoughts after 14 hours play, if that's any help?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 14:14 
Hello Hello Hello

Your musings are always a joy to read regardless Pete, so if you could spare the time that would be much appreciated :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 14:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 19:37 
Skillmeister

I think I'm going to have to switch back to the controller for PC escapades. Slaughtering tiny fluffy creatures with manual aim is quite hard.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 18:27 
Bad Girl

This is coming to Xbox (Console) Game Pass.

Reply to topic  [ 595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12