Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 567 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:52 
User avatar
Bad Girl

Joined: 20th Apr, 2008
Posts: 12639
KovacsC wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
It's possible to make an informed decision about a game without actually playing it.


If you say so. I don't think it is really.


That’s daft as shit. Haven’t you ever in your entire life read a review in a magazine or on a gaming site to decide whether to buy a game? They exist to inform consumers about the quality of games. People haven’t got the money to buy all the games on the off chance that they might like it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:12 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10349
KovacsC wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
It's possible to make an informed decision about a game without actually playing it.

See, Bamba did it here and no one batted an eyelid.

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 8#p1007778


If you say so. I don't think it is really.

I can't say I have read a review, saying carrots are bad, so I won't like carrots.. I will know once I have tried carrots.


This is sort-of technically true, but in reality people make decisions all day every day about stuff they might/might not like based on not actually experiencing that thing because lifetimes are finite and it's the only way to exist. In this case it's even more true because RDR2 is GTA with horses so if you've played the most recent GTA game then you've got a very good basis for making that decision depending on how much you enjoyed GTA. I didn't think a great deal of it myself and generally agree with Hearthly's reasons for not bothering with RDR2.

Also, that's a good video that says interesting things about game design in a funny and very watchable way so it's worth checking out whatever your opinions on RDR2.

That said, for the sake of balance, I think Hearthly's--entirely valid--message about RDR2 has been more than successfully delivered at this point and continuing to flog this already thoroughly deceased horse won't be making him any more popular. Indeed, to address his own point, the likely reason no one batted an eyelid when I said something very similar is that I generally delivered my opinion and then moved on; something he seems to struggle to do in general. And I say that expecting it to make no difference though because when has it ever?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:31 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47787
I think it's perfectly valid to decide you don't like the look of something and don't want to play it. What comes across a weird is the seemingly weekly updates of more videos confirming that yes, Hearthly still doesn't want to play it this week, for those keeping track.

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:35 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10349
Cras wrote:
I think it's perfectly valid to decide you don't like the look of something and don't want to play it. What comes across a weird is the seemingly weekly updates of more videos confirming that yes, Hearthly still doesn't want to play it this week, for those keeping track.


:this:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:50 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 12308
See, you're completely misinterpreting my intentions if that's how it comes across, and DocG missed the mark by a million miles in this post here:

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 8#p1005538

The most recent video I posted the link to is fantastic. Really well made, genuinely entertaining and makes a load of valid points in a constantly amusing fashion - I figured a few of the folks here would enjoy it, so thought I'd share the link with you. (I also made a very specific point of adding the information that he's talking about Rockstar's general game design, not just specifically RDR2.)

I honestly considered putting it another thread precisely because I was wary of being accused of deliberately flogging a dead horse to annoy people, but this thread is clearly the best fit for it so I put it here, and I did so because I figured some of you would like it.

_________________
The Premium YouTube Fruit Machine Emulation Experience - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth
Only £2 per month! *
* Not really.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 13:31 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10349
Hearthly wrote:
I honestly considered putting it another thread precisely because I was wary of being accused of deliberately flogging a dead horse to annoy people, but this thread is clearly the best fit for it so I put it here, and I did so because I figured some of you would like it.


That's entirely fair in itself, but in context of your other posts in this thread I don't think anyone can be blamed for being all, "Ffs Hearthly!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 13:41 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47787
Doc may be massively missing the mark regarding your intentions, but that is how it comes across. Like you're continuing to post videos as some way of proving that your initial decision to dislike the game was the correct one. I'm sure that's not the case, as you say, but I don't think you can really blame people for thinking that if you don't like the look of a game, move on to something else.

I'm sure you'd feel the same if someone was dropping regular diss videos in the WoW or Hearthstone threads, for example.

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 14:13 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Joined: 17th Dec, 2008
Posts: 8236
I haven’t watched the 30 minute long video and neither am I going to. However I’m going to speculate that it talks about the fact that nearly all of the game is entirely unnecessary fluff compared to the storyline.

Which it is. You don’t need to hunt, or do any of the collectibles, or monitor your heat/weight/strength/horse bonding or contribute to the ledger or maintain your honour or any other 100 things to finish and enjoy the game.

But you can if you want. However aside from a different ending under the honour system not participating on any of them will not affect your ability to complete all of the 107 story missions and enjoy them/not enjoy them if they are the reason you’re playing the game. This is the same as every other rockstar open world game with the huge number of optional side distractions and so is nothing new in the slightest.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 15:15 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 19117
Location: shropshire, uk
Satsuma wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
It's possible to make an informed decision about a game without actually playing it.


If you say so. I don't think it is really.


That’s daft as shit. Haven’t you ever in your entire life read a review in a magazine or on a gaming site to decide whether to buy a game? They exist to inform consumers about the quality of games. People haven’t got the money to buy all the games on the off chance that they might like it.


Yes of course. I will do that once or twice. I won't keep doing it, and posting in a thread to use videos to back my views.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 15:16 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 19117
Location: shropshire, uk
Hearthly wrote:
Huh?

Quick example, Mrs Hearthly hates any sort of torture scene in a film or programme, like, she seriously can't watch them. The ear scene in Reservoir Dogs? Way off her scale, even though of course you don't actually see the ear getting cut off.

There's a French horror film called 'Martyrs', part of its Wiki entry reads as follows.

Quote:
Their experiments inflict systematic acts of torture upon young women in the belief that their suffering will result in a transcendental insight into the world beyond this one. Mademoiselle also believes the world is divided into victims (people who can't hold tortures and fall into madness, like Lucie and Sarah) and martyrs (people who "accept" tortures and transcend).

Anna becomes the group's latest subject. After a period of being beaten and degraded, Anna hallucinates a conversation with Lucie, and is later told she has progressed further than any other test subject, and has reached the "final stage." She is flayed alive and survives the procedure, entering a state that is "euphoric" and likened to achieving transcendence.


So Mrs Hearthly needs to sit down and watch this film to decide she doesn't like it? Or do you reckon she could determine with a high degree of confidence she wouldn't enjoy it without ever seeing a single second of it?


Yes but will you check 15 different reviews and post them in a thread in which people are enjoying that film?

Or, will you look, and go that is not for Me and not watch it?

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 15:41 
User avatar
Bad Girl

Joined: 20th Apr, 2008
Posts: 12639
For completeness, I like NakeyJakey’s videos and have been subbed for ages.

I would watch his videos.

I have no objections to one of his videos being posted.

I am pleased if even one person watched a NakeyJakey video that wouldn’t otherwise know about him because I like his content.

I consider the NakeyJakey video makes good points about RDR2.

There was a sustained lull in posting negative RDR posting from hearthy that I didn’t find it objectionable.

I accept Hearthy’s comments about where to post his video.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 15:44 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47787
Oh he can post it where he likes, obv

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 15:50 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 19117
Location: shropshire, uk
Cras wrote:
Oh he can post it where he likes, obv


of course.

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 18:22 
User avatar
Paws for thought

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 16481
Location: Just Outside That London, England, Europe
Satsuma wrote:
I am pleased if even one person watched a NakeyJakey video that wouldn’t otherwise know about him because I like his content.


Is this going to be like Jonarobs youtube reviewer recommendation, where he turns out to be a colossal bellend.

(And surely all the youtube gamer you need is Kwebbelkop)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:02 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 12308
I think my intentions in this thread are being misunderstood, I take Cras's point that it may look like I'm trying to piss on chips or generally just troll about, but I'm geniunely not. (And on his point, I'd be more than happy to do discuss WoW or Hearthstone in their threads, with critical comments or otherwise.)

I'm not just posting links to any random video I can find that's critical of the game, in every case these are videos I've watched in full, from content creators I respect, which I felt made good points in a watchable fashion, and thought that other folks may enjoy watching them. (And the number of videos I've watched that I haven't mentioned or posted links to here, far outweighs those that I have.)

And as best I can recall, none of the videos are saying that the game is bad, quite the opposite in fact, but each of them are making points around the fact that whilst Rockstar may be extending the visual fidelity and world creation to new heights, the mechanics of many aspects of their games simply aren't good enough these days. (I mean, we all watched Satsuma's video of his gunfight, right?)

One of the main bones of contention seems to be 'I haven't even played the game' but I've played damn near every other Rockstar game and it's abundantly clear from the hours of videos I've watched about RDR2, the reviews I've read, the conversations I've had with my friends about it, and the many comments in this thread - that this game truly is Rockstar 101 with more shinies, so I know its gameplay beats perfectly well.

I don't what else to say really? I like analysing things and going into great detail, (if a film catches my attention, I'll watch analysis videos well in excess of the running length of the actual film), and if me posting links to what I think are interesting and entertaining videos annoys you then I'm sorry, because it's absolutely not my intention. (And it's not like I'm averse to taking the time to write my own very detailed posts about games, off the top of my head Bioshock Infinite, Dishonored 1 and 2, Borderlands 2, DOOM, God Of War, for example.)

Anyway, NakeyJakey is arguably the best of the lot, which is why I posted the link. Not to 'remind' everyone of my issues with RDR2, but to give visibility to a great video I think a lot of folks here would enjoy.

_________________
The Premium YouTube Fruit Machine Emulation Experience - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth
Only £2 per month! *
* Not really.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 13:52 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 26th May, 2008
Posts: 3237
Got to the end of chapter 6 yesterday....

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
When Arthur put his hat on Johns head, I must've got dust in my eye.


I haven't played rdr, so I had no idea we'd been introduced to these people in the previous game, which is set after rdr2. I think if you haven't played rdr, you should probably read about the story before playing rdr2.
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I didn't understand the epilogue until I went online to read about it, which I did because after the emotion and tension of chapter 6 and the build-up to it, epilogue 1 seemed way off base. Until then, I had avoided all spoilers. I got the good ending, I didn't find high honor difficult or an issue to maintain throughout the game. I didn't do any of the bandit challenged, unless they came as a result of the story, and I generally just played it how I felt I wanted to.
So old Arthur died up on the cliff, looking at the sunset. Epilogue 1 so far seems a bit pointless? I get now that it is filling the blank between rdr and rdr2 but I'm sad that it's Johns story now and not Arthur's. When the Marston family are in the wagon, heading the Strawberry, Jack mentions King Arthur and I hoped for some nostalgic rememberance but no. The saved that family and they don't even mention him when his name is brought up. I invested in Arthur, and Tesco's Finest (my best horse that I had since first going into Saint Denis sometime in chapter 3), now they're dead, gone and forgotten. I've lost interest in the game now, I wanted to go back and do the challenges and find all the things I needed to find but it seems pointless now without Arthur...


Anyone feel like that? And is it best to just carry on playing and get through?

_________________
NOTHING TO SEE HERE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Red Dead Redemption 2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 14:00 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15201
I felt the same, but I think they anticipated this and there's lots of things they've put in there, people John can go talk to who Arthur helped out etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 567 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: JohnCoffey, Mr Chonks, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.