Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:47 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
Got any LightScribe CD-Rs?

Hmm... it's entirely possible that I have some at home.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:49 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

You're inspiring me... I think I'm going to bite the bullet and install it. Here's some of the discs I've done on it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:51 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

This one is my favourite...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:55 
Unpossible!

Those classic lines!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:11 
Excellent Member

YouTube is blocked in my office. What's not block though is YouPak, a proxy of sorts for YouTube. Currently if there's anything I want to see I just manually change the URL but it would be nice if there was a way to do that automatically. I can't edit the HOSTS file on my machine but I was wondering if anyone knew of a Firefox browser extension that would implement that sort of find/replace on URLs automatically?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:12 
Comfortably Dumb

Bamba wrote:
YouTube is blocked in my office. What's not block though is YouPak, a proxy of sorts for YouTube. Currently if there's anything I want to see I just manually change the URL but it would be nice if there was a way to do that automatically. I can't edit the HOSTS file on my machine but I was wondering if anyone knew of a Firefox browser extension that would implement that sort of find/replace on URLs automatically?

Looks like you can do it with a Greasemonkey script.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:38 
Hibernating Druid

Trooper wrote:
I bought a laser printer for £50 t'other day, as my inkjet printer had dried up ink...again...after printing about 2 pages a month or so ago... It was £25 for more ink, that would dry up again through low use. Didn't want to get on that merry go round again, so looked for other option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Xpress ... B00YU62KR6

Cost me £50 from ebuyer, ink lasts for 1000 pages (against 200 for an inkjet), ink doesn't dry out, replacement ink costs £10, it's tiny, it's quiet, super easy to setup, wifi enabled, spits out a page every couple of seconds, it's bloody brilliant.
Only downside is that it is black and white only, but other than that I can heartily recommend it, should have bought one years ago.

I give it 9.2 troopoints

I have that! Only wanted a B&W laser to make transparencies for my screen prints. It's a great little printer.

Mine was cheaper too!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:01 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
I'm not in Wirral tomorrow (work) but I am over the weekend if you would like to pop by

Oh, yes, that'd be ace.. I shall consult timetable and let you know.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:

This one looks all right: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /url-swap/

I don't use Firefox though, so use at own risk etc etc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:09 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Mimi wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
MaliA wrote:
I think someone that went on a rampage and ended up holed up in a field is pretty newsworthy, but I see the points regarding the Damien Day style of news reporting

Not really, it's just one wingnut who didn't deserve even a tiny amount of the attention he got. Makes for easy, sensational 'news'.

It was (maybe remains to this day?) British police’s biggest ever manhunt. It was much hyped and over-sensationalised (they got the survival guy... not the Bear chap... the cuddly one who likes to carve spoons...) involved at some point. There’s no doubt the news stories and reporting style was ridiculous at points, but the scale of the operation that was put in place to track and apprehend this guy was newsworthy. Not of interest to me, or you by the sounds of it, but it would have been perhaps stranger if Britain’s biggest ever manhunt wasn’t a sizeable news story.

Yes, the story was newsworthy, but not reported in the gutter press way that they did it. I was really hoping that when they asked some random geezer on the street he’d say something like, “The guy’s a complete cunt and derserves to have his bollocks ripped off and stuffed down his throat, live, on the 10 o’clock news, but right now, while there’s fuck all happening, why don’t you piss off back to your camper van for a wank or something else to pass your time, instead of asking fatuous questions of people whose opinion isn’t worth noting down on used bog roll, you fucking tosser.’

Now THAT would be worth the license fee.... but I bet the director had a two second delay to cut off anything unsavoury like that, before it hit our screens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:47 

Poor quality press coverage can turn any story into a circus. I think it’s a problem when a big story breaks on 24hr rolling news. Nothing usually happens, so then they prioritise that and provide blanket coverage of a story which is only starting to develop, with no actual content or information, so then they go to ridiculous lengths to form a story out of hearsay. It serves nobody.

I think there was a place for 24hr news channels pre-internet, but more in providing a news program to those that couldn’t sit down to the news at the traditional prescribed times, but ‘big event’ coverage is mostly dead air filled with imbeciles.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 13:17 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:

This one looks all right: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /url-swap/

I don't use Firefox though, so use at own risk etc etc.

That one looked the part but I couldn't actually open the options for it for some reason. I tried a couple of others ones though and eventually got this one working:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... edirector/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 16:13 
Prince of Fops

Trooper wrote:
I bought a laser printer for £50 t'other day, as my inkjet printer had dried up ink...again...after printing about 2 pages a month or so ago... It was £25 for more ink, that would dry up again through low use. Didn't want to get on that merry go round again, so looked for other option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Xpress ... B00YU62KR6

Cost me £50 from ebuyer, ink lasts for 1000 pages (against 200 for an inkjet), ink doesn't dry out, replacement ink costs £10, it's tiny, it's quiet, super easy to setup, wifi enabled, spits out a page every couple of seconds, it's bloody brilliant.
Only downside is that it is black and white only, but other than that I can heartily recommend it, should have bought one years ago.

I give it 9.2 troopoints

I have the same. It's ace. Apart from when the port for wireless printing keeps changing and I have to set the printer up on the PC YET AGAIN, but that is more likely user error than anything.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 22:54 
ugvm'er at heart...

Why does it get hotter at night when the sun has gone in, eh? I'm roasting here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 23:41 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Me too but I have just been playing Rocket League on my Xbox.. I imagine that's contributed to the heat in the room.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:58 
Soopah red DS

Heat?! It's 31deg in Darwin (yay name!), getting up to 35.

Previous page, I was wondering why you'd bother printing right onto CDs, then those screenshots above - yummy!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:04 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Sony photography award thingy. The one of the Afghan guys on horseback almost looks like an oil painting, and the solo horse is outstanding too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:36 

JBR wrote:
Heat?! It's 31deg in Darwin (yay name!), getting up to 35.

The amount of people (strangers!) that have asked me if that’s where Darwin was conceived! :rolleyes: :D

It was 28° here yesterday, so not cool by any means, but I don’t think it’s the heat that’s bothered folks, more the suddenness. We went from winter to summer in a day, with no sight of spring in between. There was no getting gradually warmer, it just hit us. I had a mad scramble to find a hat and suncream to send Darwin to Nursery in.

But I think it was somebody on here that spoke about Brits Miami g about the heat of summer last year, which is never thought of before. Houses here have always been built with the purpose of holding in heat, so inside it can get very uncomfortable. A few people on here will know that my living room has THE WORLD’S BIGGEST WINDOWS, which the sun hits the entire day, starting from the left and ending at the right. Yesterday it was 43° in my greenhouse living room, with the windows open throughout the house. Eek!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:43 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mimi wrote:
But I think it was somebody on here that spoke about Brits Miami g about the heat of summer last year, which is never thought of before. Houses here have always been built with the purpose of holding in heat, so inside it can get very uncomfortable. A few people on here will know that my living room has THE WORLD’S BIGGEST WINDOWS, which the sun hits the entire day, starting from the left and ending at the right. Yesterday it was 43° in my greenhouse living room, with the windows open throughout the house. Eek!

Exactly that. Our houses are built for dreary weather, they hold onto heat and nobody puts in air con. Live in a 1st world country in a hot climate and air con will be everywhere, so a bit of sun is less of an issue.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:10 
Hibernating Druid

Warhead wrote:
Sony photography award thingy. The one of the Afghan guys on horseback almost looks like an oil painting, and the solo horse is outstanding too.

Love that storm cloud. Some crackers in there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:33 
Excellent Painter

Trooper wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Exactly that. Our houses are built for dreary weather, they hold onto heat and nobody puts in air con. Live in a 1st world country in a hot climate and air con will be everywhere, so a bit of sun is less of an issue.

I was doing some cabinet making for a friend during that heatwave last year. On the top floor of a terraced mews house, half the roof was glass and 3/4 of the front and back walls. I had to take the week off as it was significantly higher than 50 degC with 100% humidity. I won’t mention the total ballache that was warp factor of working with plywood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:35 

Giphy "warp factor":
https://media2.giphy.com/media/ZTJ2fedkeZ1pS/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:36 

I thought that would be a more Wooshy graphic!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:41 
Hibernating Druid

Giphy "wooshy":
https://media1.giphy.com/media/KHI0BQku7THGM/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:58 
Excellent Member

A mate of mine is married to a Romanian girl and he was telling me she got her UK citizenship approved this morning. The thing is though, it cost them the better part of seven fucking grand! Apparently the fee for processing the application is £1300 and when she initially sent it off they rejected it because she's included some wrong form to prove the length of her history in the UK. No problem, just fix that one thing and send it off again right? Well, yeah, except they then charge the whole fucking £1300 all over again! Throw in the other assorted costs you rack up for mandatory language tests and whatnot and boom; £7k. What the actual fuck?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:38 

Bamba wrote:
A mate of mine is married to a Romanian girl and he was telling me she got her UK citizenship approved this morning. The thing is though, it cost them the better part of seven fucking grand! Apparently the fee for processing the application is £1300 and when she initially sent it off they rejected it because she's included some wrong form to prove the length of her history in the UK. No problem, just fix that one thing and send it off again right? Well, yeah, except they then charge the whole fucking £1300 all over again! Throw in the other assorted costs you rack up for mandatory language tests and whatnot and boom; £7k. What the actual fuck?

That doesn't add up, the language tests and other smaller stuff are surely not more than £3k. MrsDoc's 2x visas plus ILTR plus citizenship was going on for £10k total, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:11 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:

That doesn't add up, the language tests and other smaller stuff are surely not more than £3k. MrsDoc's 2x visas plus ILTR plus citizenship was going on for £10k total, I think.

Oh, yeah, I've doubled 1300 and somehow landed at ~6k! Jesus, what a twat I am. So, yeah, we're looking at somewhere under £3000 then. Still ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:49 
sneering elitist

Bamba wrote:

A friend of mine from Canada has recently done her UK citizenship thingymabob and it's cost her >£5k and she now knows more about our history than I do (not hard tbh) :S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

When we're waiting for BBQ to cook, Grim... and I regularly take online example tests as drinking challenges. They're either easy as piss or hard as nails, nothing in between.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:48 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Question 1.) How do you spell 'England'?

Question 2.) How did the pre-Reformation Lollard movement differ from the Roman Catholic Church in regards to their views on transubstantiation?

Question 3.) Is Scotland real?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:50 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Giphy "bollocks":
https://media1.giphy.com/media/JZZ6hXux8iakM/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:53 
Noob as of 6/8/10

DBSnappa wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I was doing some cabinet making for a friend during that heatwave last year. On the top floor of a terraced mews house, half the roof was glass and 3/4 of the front and back walls. I had to take the week off as it was significantly higher than 50 degC with 100% humidity. I won’t mention the total ballache that was warp factor of working with plywood

'Ballache' is a word, apparently, but it looks wrong ... I mean it doesn't look like it's supposed to sound, e.g. ballash.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:57 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Warhead wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Mimi wrote:

'Ballache' is a word, apparently, but it looks wrong ... I mean it doesn't look like it's supposed to sound, e.g. ballash.

Also, Tour de France sounds like Turdy France to me.

And with that, I wish you good afternoon, as I head back from Edinburgh to Manchister in my little van.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:59 

Jem wrote:
she now knows more about our history than I do (not hard tbh) :S

Getting loading those 'Horrible Histories' clips and queuing up 'Rex Factor' episodes!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 13:03 
ugvm'er at heart...

Warhead wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I've always pronounced it ball-ache...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 13:06 
Unpossible!

Trooper wrote:

Weird. I pronounce it ball-ache

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 13:30 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Good news! I've fitted my lightscribe drive in my PC.
Bad news! I don't have any spare cables to power it so there's one on the way from eBay.

Pah.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 13:39 
ugvm'er at heart...

DavPaz wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Weird. I pronounce it ball-ache

In Welsh it's ba-llache

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 16:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I just spell it borlake.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 16:28 
UltraMod

B'lakki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 16:41 
Hibernating Druid

8/\¬¬å¥|<∂

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 17:55 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I bet you all missed Throughsilver on Pointless on the BBC yesterday didn't you?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 18:00 
Bad Girl

TheVision wrote:
I bet you all missed Throughsilver on Pointless on the BBC yesterday didn't you?

I watched it but didn’t know it was him! Which one was he!?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 18:05 
Excellent Member

Satsuma wrote:
TheVision wrote:

The stupid sexy one? With powerful eyebrows.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 18:14 
Isn't that lovely?

Satsuma wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Yeah, I watch ed it too, didn't realise it was him. However this tweet:

https://twitter.com/throughsilver/statu ... 6482914304

Says he won.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 18:43 
Bad Girl

Were you the two guys who were asked what You would like to do with the money if you won and said that you would want a holiday to Las Vegas but the pot of money was only £1000 to split between the two of you which would barely cover the flight?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 20:20 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Trooper wrote:
Warhead wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Mimi wrote:

In which case, that’s how we should spell it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 20:21 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Cras wrote:
I just spell it borlake.

Are you a pirate?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 23:37 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Malc wrote:
Satsuma wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Yeah, I watch ed it too, didn't realise it was him. However this tweet:

https://twitter.com/throughsilver/statu ... 6482914304

Says he won.

Iplayer link -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... episode-14

Its Season 19 episode 14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Clever sexy Thorghsilver

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 60  Next