Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 49
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 14:32 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Warhead wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Warhead wrote:
Kern wrote:
I don't think 'Where's Wally' counts either. There's very little actual story, or indeed text.

Maybe so, but he’s in a book, so I think he qualifies.

You know who else is in a book? Literally Hitler. See if you could dress your kid up like Adolf and get away with it :)

You’re just being silly.

Having said that, if you Google ‘inappropriate WBD costumes’ there have been quite a few contentious ones over the years.

Having had a little time to mull this over, whether or not anyone would get away with going as Hitler makes no difference to my assertion that Wally’s in a book, and a children’s book at that, so MY view is that he qualifies as a costume for WDB.

So ner.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 14:34 
Noob as of 6/8/10

It’s all very well locals taking supplies to people stranded in snow on the M80 overnight, but what those people need a poo?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 14:36 

Warhead wrote:
Having had a little time to mull this over, whether or not anyone would get away with going as Hitler makes no difference to my assertion that Wally’s in a book, and a children’s book at that, so MY view is that he qualifies as a costume for WDB.

So ner.

I'm in the phone book. Dress as me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 14:38 

This isn't the smallest hill I'm willing to die on, but Wally shouldn't count because the purpose of the event is to encourage children to read. So superheroes, yes, because even in comic books there's text that follows a story.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 14:39 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Kern wrote:
Warhead wrote:

So ner.

I'm in the phone book. Dress as me.

Is the phone book in the roolz? Well, ISIT?

(N.B. I don’t know the answer to this.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 14:44 

It has text but no story, so no.

So far according to my criteria: Wally and me are no-nos, but Hitler's fine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 14:49 
Excellent Member

I'm all for what the day promotes, we have always read to our son from an early age and he loves books.

What I don't like is the way its how its becoming a mother days\valentines thing at the supermarket with constumes all over the place.

Of course you can make something but thats never going to happen in our house as we are both shit at that sort of stuff :D

Would also appear we have our choice narrowed by the school as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 14:51 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Kern wrote:
This isn't the smallest hill I'm willing to die on, but Wally shouldn't count because the purpose of the event is to encourage children to read. So superheroes, yes, because even in comic books there's text that follows a story.

Good point, well made. Technically, I agree.

Even so, WBD is surely a light-hearted event as far as junior schools are concerned, so I’d think it’s a bit churlish if a school told a kid that a Wally costume was not acceptable.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 14:54 

We know so little about his background. Why is he lost? Is he on the run from somewhere? Why must we find him? Is it to hold him to account for his actions?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 14:59 
Noob as of 6/8/10

asfish wrote:
I'm all for what the day promotes, we have always read to our son from an early age and he loves books.

What I don't like is the way its how its becoming a mother days\valentines thing at the supermarket with constumes all over the place.

:this:

[quote=“asfish”]Would also appear we have our choice narrowed by the school as well.[/quote]

Yes, I’ve heard of examples of that as well. Mumble, mumble, mumble, commercial pressure/incentives from publishers, mumble, mumble, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 15:00 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Kern wrote:
We know so little about his background. Why is he lost? Is he on the run from somewhere? Why must we find him? Is it to hold him to account for his actions?

He could be Hitler with a mega-makeover.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 15:06 

The supermarkets amping up the pre-bought costume store bothers me as well, but i well know that lots of parents won’t gave the time or energy to make costumes, especially for multiple kids. What would bother me is just rooms full of ifentikit costumes and then the worry that some kids would be teased for their costumes being handmade. And is it mandatory? If not, it must be horrible to be the only kid not dressed up because your parents can’t affird the time and money, and if it is, what a horrible situation to have to struggle to meet it. In days of high food bank usage £10+ per pew bought costume is a huge outlay. And I bet a load of those costumes are never worn again, and end up single-use landfill, and they are all 100% plastic fibre.

I think the promotion of books is fab, but every year there seems to be more and more pressure and money, and the rest of it surrounding the day, and my kid isn’t even at the age that it’s a thing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 15:10 

A man just walked by my window in the falling snow in shorts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 15:10 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Mimi wrote:
The supermarkets amping up the pre-bought costume store bothers me as well, but i well know that lots of parents won’t gave the time or energy to make costumes, especially for multiple kids. What would bother me is just rooms full of ifentikit costumes and then the worry that some kids would be teased for their costumes being handmade. And is it mandatory? If not, it must be horrible to be the only kid not dressed up because your parents can’t affird the time and money, and if it is, what a horrible situation to have to struggle to meet it. In days of high food bank usage £10+ per pew bought costume is a huge outlay. And I bet a load of those costumes are never worn again, and end up single-use landfill, and they are all 100% plastic fibre.

I think the promotion of books is fab, but every year there seems to be more and more pressure and money, and the rest of it surrounding the day, and my kid isn’t even at the age that it’s a thing.

I’m with you 100% on this one. And don’t get me started on school proms. >:(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 15:11 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:

Have the clocks changed?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 15:13 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Mimi wrote:

Must be a Geordie. I’ve seen a couple riding bikes to work this morning wearing shorts and even one in a T shirt as well. We’re ‘ard up north, ya know.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 15:16 
sneering elitist

Don't understand costume snobbery. Oliver went to school in his own jeans and a striped top from Asda last year - as Kip from the Biff & Chip books. Lowest effort ever. Nobody gave a crap (least of all Olly).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 15:19 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Have the clocks changed?

Giphy "i understood that reference":
https://media3.giphy.com/media/MKN57cTF4ZAHe/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 15:29 
Gogmagog

Jem wrote:
Don't understand costume snobbery. Oliver went to school in his own jeans and a striped top from Asda last year - as Kip from the Biff & Chip books. Lowest effort ever. Nobody gave a crap (least of all Olly).

:thumbsup:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 15:31 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Jem wrote:

This is the true spirit of WBD.

100 bananas.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 15:33 

Jem wrote:

That may be true of most/all kids or you’ve been particularly lucky or skilled with your two in managing expectations and understanding what is rewarding aboutvthe day (and being lucky his favourite book isn’t about a family of dragons, or whatever), I honestly don’t know because I’ve never been part of it. It’s a fear of mine, though.

This is what we are doing for World Book Day. Collaborating fan art based on Darwin’s favourite book.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 15:34 
Unpossible!

I love that smile!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 15:36 

It’s nice to have it back after a few fraught mornings following the first days of Nursery!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 15:57 
sneering elitist

Mimi wrote:
Jem wrote:

you’ve been particularly lucky or skilled with your two in managing expectations

HA! I wish. As I said, I had world war 3 about WBD with Izz on Tuesday :'( :'( :'( Monstrous child. >:(

(They do both love books and don't generally need a day to celebrate them, mind.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 15:58 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Send kids to school dressed as schoolkids on the basis that there are many books about schoolkids.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 16:02 

Cras wrote:
Send kids to school dressed as schoolkids on the basis that there are many books about schoolkids.

Well, Harry Potter is a book about Schoolkids. Not all uniforms are the same. Sadly.

Asda do two white polo shirts for £2.50, which is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 16:05 
Unpossible!

Essentially, my Boy is in his school uniform, with an added Gryffindor tie and drawn on scar.

And a wand. Natch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 16:05 

Could Izzy be struggling with pressure from her peers? That’s my main worry about events like this. I think that pressure starts piling on and kids can be horrid :(. That horrendous ness is so likely not just from her.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 16:42 
Excellent Member

Quote:
Don't understand costume snobbery.

My son is in reception so not sure that happens much at his age, they are just excited at dressing up

Can see it becoming a thing though, but this has always been the case sadly, in my day at school it was trainers, which were not allowed with uniform but everyone had them on anyway.

It was Nike or nothing back then :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 16:49 

Mimi wrote:
Could Izzy be struggling with pressure from her peers? That’s my main worry about events like this. I think that pressure starts piling on and kids can be horrid :(. That horrendous ness is so likely not just from her.

We think she's going through the very early stages of puberty, which doesn't really help matters - but yes, there's almost certainly a significant element of this too. When I first met Jem, Izzy was quite content to play with anything and didn't really consider "gender stereotypes" when it came to toys, but now she's very much all about the girly stuff - TV advertising and her peers probably being mostly to blame for this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 16:50 
sneering elitist

There are a couple of kids in the class that are "you have to do things my way" but I don't think that this is an issue in this specific instance - she's just going through a particularly difficult phase (start of the pre-pubescent hormones) so everything is wrong, even if it's what she actually wants to do.

She decided last minute she wanted to be the princess from one of her books, but that her costume had to be absolutely identical to one of the pictures (never mind that this was different on each page). This proved more difficult than expected as most non-disney princess costumes are fairly generic pink frills which was "wrong". Finally found a costume that was very similar on Amazon but she was watching over my shoulder and saw another dress she liked more (with pink and frills?!) and decided she HAD to have despite it not being "correct" in any way shape or form, and when I said no she then a huge melt down over how clearly I hated her and loved Olly more etc etc (usual melodramatic nonsense).

This is one minor element of a series of bizarre and unbearable tantrums recently. Didn't realise I'd still be reciting "this too shall pass" at the grand old age of 8, but there we go.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 17:03 
Excellent Member

Quote:
TV advertising and her peers probably being mostly to blame for this

Youtube is the worst, I used to let my son watch Thomas on it, I kept an eye on him and anything I looked at on there I removed from the history.

He never found anything nasty, it was the channels fronted by kids his age with millions of subscribers. His favourite was in the news last year, I think the kid made $10 million from it.

Sets such a bad mindset when he watches a kid his ages with every Thomas toy there is (as he has been sent them for nothing)

Weened him off it for a while and now he looks at Lego on there, but just people doing their own movies etc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 18:18 
Sleepyhead

Mine went as Ruby the Red Fairy from the Rainbow Fairy books.

Basically we bought her a red dress and repurposed some fairy wings we had. Worked a treat!

Had to buy her a long sleeved vest though (isn't that technically a t-shirt?) to wear under it. Those in the 'girl' section all have bows and are short sleeved, so we had to get 'boy' ones. FFS, supermarkets, they're just fucking vests.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 18:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mimi wrote:
Cras wrote:

Well, Harry Potter is a book about Schoolkids. Not all uniforms are the same. Sadly..

They are as long as you don't choose a book about schoolkids that was turned into a major film series.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 18:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Show off.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 18:49 

Cras wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Cras wrote:

Well, Harry Potter is a book about Schoolkids. Not all uniforms are the same. Sadly..

They are as long as you don't choose a book about schoolkids that was turned into a major film series.

I guess a lot of the most popular books make popular shows and films, though :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 18:50 

Grim... wrote:
Show off.

That’s brill. He deserved that!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 18:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

His mother did.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 18:51 

Ah... well then he should give it back :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 19:54 
Decapodian

Mimi wrote:

Was it Lionel?
https://www.facebook.com/TheStourbridgeShortsMan/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 20:18 

Haha, no, though I did wonder for a second. He wasn’t even walking fast.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 20:25 

Whoever coined ‘The Beast From The East’ needs a good talking to. It sounds ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 20:31 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Mimi wrote:
Whoever coined ‘The Beast From The East’ needs a good talking to. It sounds ridiculous.

Giphy "bam bam bigelow":
https://media0.giphy.com/media/1IAoCxx0ZhMdi/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 20:32 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That's not Bam Bam Bigelow!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 21:03 
Sleepyhead

"Get it right, Giphy!"
\

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 22:02 
Hibernating Druid

Is it Dimrill?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 22:07 

Mimi wrote:

Some of my Napoleonic re-enactor friends must be really enjoying themselves right now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:11 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

It's a snow day today so MrsThevision and the kids are off school. We found out the girls school was closed after they went to bed last night... So why, oh why have they got up even earlier than they would normally? On a normal school day, I'm getting them out of bed at half 7.. This morning they both came in well before my alarm went off.

How did they know?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:20 
Gogmagog

Fear not, I'm keeping the wheels of industry turning. I'm not letting Britain down.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:24 
UltraMod

Thanks Gideon. Got to keep the pressure on Mrs May.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 60  Next