Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:33 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 32201
Cras wrote:
Get a sim tool or a safety pin right up in that charging port

I'd favour a non-conductive non-scratching toothpick, personally. Or - even better - a spudger, if you have one to hand.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:38 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 19285
Location: shropshire, uk
A prong of a plastic fork worked..

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:50 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35295
KovacsC wrote:
A prong of a plastic fork worked..

I'll invoice you at the cottage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:51 
User avatar
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Joined: 18th Apr, 2008
Posts: 11673
invoice him now, so he has the payment available at the cottage

_________________
No, it was a giant robot castle!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:56 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45212
Location: West Yorkshire
Tie him to an office chair and push him down the stairs.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:59 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35295
Bobbyaro wrote:
invoice him now, so he has the payment available at the cottage

Quite right...

Attachment:
100-Kovacs.pdf


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:27 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 19285
Location: shropshire, uk
DavPaz wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
A prong of a plastic fork worked..

I'll invoice you at the cottage.


want me to pay in kind?

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:53 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35295
KovacsC wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
A prong of a plastic fork worked..

I'll invoice you at the cottage.


want me to pay in kind?

Now you're talking!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:50 
User avatar
Decapodian

Joined: 15th Oct, 2010
Posts: 3805
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cras wrote:
Get a sim tool or a safety pin right up in that charging port

I'd favour a non-conductive non-scratching toothpick, personally. Or - even better - a spudger, if you have one to hand.


Swiss Army knife toothpick is perfect I find.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 17:29 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 67000
Location: Your Mum
DavPaz wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:
invoice him now, so he has the payment available at the cottage

Quite right...

Attachment:
100-Kovacs.pdf

:DD

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 20:41 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 19285
Location: shropshire, uk
I feel a right numpty now. It is charging properly.

No iPhone 8 for me

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 21:02 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47982
I got as far as taking my phone to a genius bar to have this pointed out to me, so don't feel too bad.

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 21:48 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35295
Cras wrote:
I got as far as taking my phone to a genius bar to have this pointed out to me, so don't feel too bad.

Amazing, Jeff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:35 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35295
Just over 2 weeks to upgrade day and I'm leaning towards the Huawei P10. The Nokia 8 is an option, but it seems overpriced.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:40 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45560
Location: The erogenous zone
Cras wrote:
I got as far as taking my phone to a genius bar to have this pointed out to me, so don't feel too bad.

Did they offer to defrag your pockets with an iVacuum while you were there?

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:40 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47982
Recommend looking at the OnePlus 5, it really is very nice, and around the same price as the P10

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:45 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35295
Cras wrote:
Recommend looking at the OnePlus 5, it really is very nice, and around the same price as the P10

I would, but I'm not in a position to buy outright. Gotta take what the network offers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 16:28 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 53376
Location: Liberty City
DavPaz wrote:
Cras wrote:
Recommend looking at the OnePlus 5, it really is very nice, and around the same price as the P10

I would, but I'm not in a position to buy outright. Gotta take what the network offers.

Change networks?

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 16:29 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15329
Location: Parts unknown
DavPaz wrote:
Just over 2 weeks to upgrade day and I'm leaning towards the Huawei P10. The Nokia 8 is an option, but it seems overpriced.


I should have a Nokia 8 in time for the cottage in case you want to take a look at it? Not sure what you'll see... It's just Android isn't it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:04 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35295
It's just occurred to me that I didn't poke TheVision's phone :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:10 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15329
Location: Parts unknown
You did not! Sorry... Shame, it's a nice phone. I'm pleased with it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:09 
User avatar
SavyGamer

Joined: 29th Apr, 2008
Posts: 7497
I might get a Xiaomi Mi A1.

I've liked the look of their hardware for a while, but didn't like the look of their custom version of Android, but this one is an "Android One" phone, so ships with a stock build of android, and is guaranteed to be updated to the latest version for two years.

Kind of looks the same to me as what the Nexus lineup used to be. Cheap phone with solid specs and nice if fairly plain hardware, with a clean android experience. Before Google shifted to making high end expensive flagship phones with the latter Nexus and Pixel models.

It's £170 + any import duties, full specs here, but it's 1080p 5.5" screen, 64gb/4gb, mid range but power efficient processor, solid metal frame and good battery life. Reviews say it's very similar in design, look and feel to the iPhone 7+.

Biggest weakness seems to be no NFC, battery life is good but some other similar models have a bigger battery (but stock Android is more power efficient), and the processor/GPU can't match performance of top end models, but since it's only pushing a 1080p display I don't think it will be a problem.

I don't really need an expensive phone these days, and the main advantage that the high end phones have is the lack of bezels, which is obviously nice to have, but not really necessary.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:26 
User avatar
SavyGamer

Joined: 29th Apr, 2008
Posts: 7497
I ordered one. Update in 2/3 weeks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:29 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35295
I've ordered the Pixel 2. It wasn't any more expensive on a monthly plan than the Nokia or the Huawei.

Well, it was. A bit.

I'm weak.

But I did get a free Google Home Mini so it can listen to me 24/7 and report back the CIA about my nefarious activities


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:35 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15329
Location: Parts unknown
I was tempted by the Pixel 2 but it was just a bit too expensive for me and also, the headphone socket. That was a deal breaker.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:41 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35295
TheVision wrote:
I was tempted by the Pixel 2 but it was just a bit too expensive for me and also, the headphone socket. That was a deal breaker.

I don't use the headphone socket on mine anyway. Oh, wait I do. But it's only for testing audio at work and my work phone has a socket. Most of my music and audio listening is done via bluetooth.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 13:39 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 53376
Location: Liberty City
DavPaz wrote:
TheVision wrote:
I was tempted by the Pixel 2 but it was just a bit too expensive for me and also, the headphone socket. That was a deal breaker.

I don't use the headphone socket on mine anyway. Oh, wait I do. But it's only for testing audio at work and my work phone has a socket. Most of my music and audio listening is done via bluetooth.

That's bc you live in 2017

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:47 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35295
I'e had the Pixel 2 for a few days and here are a few thoughts.

Firstly, it's a really nice phone. Having being stuck in budget phone land for about a year, it feels really good to have a premium model in my hands again. Everything is fast, no delays, no lock ups. Very snappy. It's got plenty of space without having to lean on an SD card and that improves matters no end. No doubt about it, it's a really nice phone.

Second though. This marks the first time in my phone-ownership career (going back to probably 1998 or so) that I've got a new phone with a *smaller* screen than my last one. I feel that the 5" screen is pretty much perfect for a pocketable phone. Certainly more pocketable than the Moto G4 with a case on.

The camera is lovely. It has optical and digital stabilisation on it which (much like my telephoto lens on the SLR) gives me a bit of motion sickness! Weird. But it takes really good pictures.

Criticisms? Without a case on, it felt really slick to hold. I don't know if this is thing with aluminium phones, but it felt like it was going to slip off anything that I put it on. A simple bumper case has fixed that though. No gallery app. Grr, forgot about that from the Nexus. Annoying.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:53 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10492
DavPaz wrote:
No gallery app. Grr, forgot about that from the Nexus. Annoying.


Google Photos doesn't come preloaded?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:58 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35295
It does, but I like to have a simple gallery app for browsing local files


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:05 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 67000
Location: Your Mum
Google Photos is complicated?

Also, the back of the P2 is meant to be grippy.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:06 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45212
Location: West Yorkshire
Google photos is brilliant.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:09 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35295
MaliA wrote:
Google photos is brilliant.

Yes of course it is. I know that. But I like to have an app that just shows local files. As I said above. Just now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:10 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35295
Well, with literally 5 seconds of digging, I have found the "local files only" option. Never mind me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:13 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45212
Location: West Yorkshire
DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Google photos is brilliant.

Yes of course it is. I know that. But I like to have an app that just shows local files. As I said above. Just now.


I just like saying it.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:20 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35295
Grim... wrote:
Google Photos is complicated?

Also, the back of the P2 is meant to be grippy.

Hmm... maybe. But I'm a bit paranoid about my expensive gadgets. So... case. Basic case for now. Better case later.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:38 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 67000
Location: Your Mum
DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Google photos is brilliant.

Yes of course it is. I know that. But I like to have an app that just shows local files. As I said above. Just now.

It gets even more brilliant if you VPN to an American proxy and turn the facial recognition on.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:42 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35295
Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Google photos is brilliant.

Yes of course it is. I know that. But I like to have an app that just shows local files. As I said above. Just now.

It gets even more brilliant if you VPN to an American proxy and turn the facial recognition on.

Pfff... did that months ago. But yes, it's ace. And appeals to my curation fetish :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:48 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45212
Location: West Yorkshire
DavPaz wrote:
Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Google photos is brilliant.

Yes of course it is. I know that. But I like to have an app that just shows local files. As I said above. Just now.

It gets even more brilliant if you VPN to an American proxy and turn the facial recognition on.

Pfff... did that months ago. But yes, it's ace. And appeals to my curation fetish :D


Pfft. Everyone knows what I look like. You 5s.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:10 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35295
New phone time! Boringly, I've gone for the Pixel 3a. By all accounts, it's eerily similar to the pixel 2 but it has a headphone socket that I'll probably use very rarely. Further thoughts later when it's in my grubby mitts.

The best thing about the deal is I'm going from 8gb data for £50 a month to 20gb data at £30 a month. Progess, I feel. Oh, and a nice £50 voucher. I might get a new kettle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:22 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15329
Location: Parts unknown
I've recently gone for the Pixel 3a XL and it's a nice phone! I like it a lot.

I think I get 10gig for just under £30 a month? Maybe?!? I'm on a friends and family discount with EE so it was 30% off whatever the store price was. I've also got a free gift coming in the way of an Xbox One, Sonos speaker or some posh headphones.

But yeah, I can't imagine it'll be much different to the Pixel 2 just with a nicer camera I guess? Still, very good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:53 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35295
Damn one-upping Praisebot! :DD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:04 
User avatar
SavyGamer

Joined: 29th Apr, 2008
Posts: 7497
I just ordered a new phone too. Xiaomi Mi 9t Pro.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 14:05 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 30th Apr, 2011
Posts: 515
Location: NL
I got an SMS from Vodafone last week to tell me I better buy a new phone as they will discontinue 3G per jan 2020 and my phone does not do 4G
I thought that's weird spam, but turns out to be all true


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 14:45 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 20634
miki wrote:
I got an SMS from Vodafone last week to tell me I better buy a new phone as they will discontinue 3G per jan 2020 and my phone does not do 4G
I thought that's weird spam, but turns out to be all true

Really? What happens when you’re in an area that doesn’t have a 3G signal, then? When we go on trips out there’s quite often no 4G and my phone reverts to 3G.

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 15:23 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35295
Mimi wrote:
miki wrote:
I got an SMS from Vodafone last week to tell me I better buy a new phone as they will discontinue 3G per jan 2020 and my phone does not do 4G
I thought that's weird spam, but turns out to be all true

Really? What happens when you’re in an area that doesn’t have a 3G signal, then? When we go on trips out there’s quite often no 4G and my phone reverts to 3G.

I believe 2g still lingers on and will probably outlast 3g


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 15:35 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10492
miki wrote:
I got an SMS from Vodafone last week to tell me I better buy a new phone as they will discontinue 3G per jan 2020 and my phone does not do 4G
I thought that's weird spam, but turns out to be all true


That's a bold strategy, and will piss a whole load of people off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 16:01 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15329
Location: Parts unknown
Is that just for Vodaphone or a wider thing I wonder?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 16:12 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 35295
Remember Miki is in the Netherlands


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phone RMD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 16:49 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10492
TheVision wrote:
Is that just for Vodaphone or a wider thing I wonder?


They will almost certainly all do it at some point but it's a bit early to be doing it in my opinion. Vodafone UK are saying within the "next two to three years" which seems more reasonable:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2 ... years.html


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Malc and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.