Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 704 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Food & cooking
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 13:32 

How is the air fryer, @Cras ?

Would you say they were a worthwhile investment/use of space in a small kitchen (not to suggest that you have a small kitchen, but I have a small kitchen :) ).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 13:52 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I do have a small kitchen. They're not small, but I do use it really quite a lot. It's earned its space on the counter for me, definitely

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 15:05 
ugvm'er at heart...

It's perfect for frozen hash browns.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 15:23 

Fab. I have a halogen oven on the counter at the moment, but now that I have a real oven I could potaentially put that away to swap out for an air fryer (my counter top space limits me to kettle, toaster and one other appliance. I use my Instant Pot a LOT but even that has to stay in the cupboard because I do not have room).

Can I ask which ones you folks have? Do you have one with the rotating paddle and if so does that help a lot?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 15:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

No paddle, it's this one...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Brands ... B08VDXMQ2P

£70 from the Amazon treasure truck.
I really like mine, it's basically a turbocharged fan oven, so anything you can cook in an over you can do in the air fryer, pretty much.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 17:14 
Prince of Fops

Findus Fop wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I know a lot about cooking vegetarian food, but absolutely nothing about barbecues. Depending on the brand of sausage you are using they tend to cook slightly quicker than meat sausages in the oven/grill/frying pan. They only need to be hot all of the way through.

Cheers! That's helpful. Going to give them 10 mins indirect heat and I'll see if I kill anyone

Nobody died.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 17:24 

…yet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 18:14 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:
No paddle, it's this one...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Brands ... B08VDXMQ2P

£70 from the Amazon treasure truck.
I really like mine, it's basically a turbocharged fan oven, so anything you can cook in an over you can do in the air fryer, pretty much.

As with all things Amazon these days, the listing is overloaded with different variants.

It's the 6L vortex in black. They do smaller ones, but you really need a 6l, as it's still a pretty small cooking space.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 19:01 

Oh, that’s good. I couldn’t work out what the difference between the vortex and vortex plus was, so that’s handy.

I think I will get one.

If I made potato wedges (which I usually do in the halogen) could I add my spices, etc to the raw potato wedges before cooking them, or would that cause problems? I usually toss the wedges in a bowl with half a teaspoon of oil, then sprinkle my spices or seasoning on before cooking, but I don’t know enough about air fryers to know if that’d be a problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 19:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That's exactly the perfect way to prep them for an air fryer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 19:34 

Then I am sold. Which one do you have, Cras, if you don’t mind me asking?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 21:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Exactly the same one Trooper linked above!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 22:01 

Fab. Then there’s not even a decision for me to make :D

Thanks both. x

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 22:15 
Prince of Fops

Mimi wrote:
…yet

*Sharpens noose*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 22:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:
It's perfect for frozen hash browns.

I didn't realise it could make things cold.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:39 

Second go at some brisket. About 1.7kg smoked over cherry and hickory for, in the end, just under 5 hours (+1.5 resting)

Must have used too much fuel in the first instance - my WSM sits out in a sun trap so was warm right from the off, and whereas often it struggles to get up to 250 with a full water pan, it kept topping out at 280!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 16:56 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I saw this picture of a t-shirt, and it reminded me of this thread...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 17:28 
Best
Board Mother

:DD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 17:53 

Noice.

Relatedly, my new barbecue arrived today - Weber Mastertouch 57cm with the Gourmet Barbecue System! Haven't put it together yet, but it's huge compared to my existing drum barbecue!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 19:01 

My brother sent me some of the menu options for the place he went yesterday, and one of the ingredients/components of one of the salads was ‘smacked cucumbers’ and when I looked it up it’s someone actually hitting a cucumber with a rolling pin until it breaks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:59 

Set everything up to smoke a brisket on Friday evening, with the intention of doing it overnight to give it plenty of time to rest before taking it to the social occasion we were attending that afternoon.

Apparently I was a lot more tired than I thought because I just flat out didn't wake up at any point during the night to check on it (I hadn't set any alarms, stupidly, on the grounds that the last time I did this I woke up pretty regularly anyway and I didn't want to annoy Jem and/or our neighbours with unnecessary alarms)

My cheapo BT thermometer app doesn't keep a full history of temperatures so I had no way of working out what it had got up to, but it was at 117(F) when I woke up having been at about 150 when we went to bed. I'm assuming it overcooked as it was as tough as boots, but I stuck it in the oven at 225 until it got back up to 203 to see if it just needed "finishing off" - no, still shite.

Fortunately it wasn't a huge joint so wasn't mega expensive. Think I'll stick to during-the-day smokes for now... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 21:29 
Sitting balls-back folder

Smoker is clean. Gazebo is up. Pork shoulder (not ham because I didn't start days ago) and turkey crown are brining in the fridge, and a 1.8kg piece of brisket flat is sitting there not becoming corned beef because I forgot to buy Prague powder (and also didn't start days ago). Not sure what to do with that to be honest, might just do it boxing Day or day after.

Helen just made me open my Christmas pressie early because I too am now a member of the Meater Block club! Woo!

Also we have extra tons of streaky bacon this year because I now know sprouts in blankets are a thing. Unfortunately I didn't buy a pork belly a week ago and make my own bacon. Definite theme to my prep this year, even though I've only been "in the office" 5 days in the last 4 weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 21:51 

I’m making a simple veggie roast with all the trimmings that will take me under and hour from start to finish. It’s not fancy, but it’s completely stress free and will leave loads of time free for family stuff. I usually prep my sprouts the night before by halving and steaming them, then I usually sauté them in butter and chopped bacon with a splash of Worcester sauce for Russell (this is the only non-veggie component as I don’t eat them). This year I’m too tired to steam them tonight so I’ll do them tomorrow and will dry them with some chorizo. Now I’ve heard of sprouts in blankets I’ll do those for Russell next year too.

This is the first year in a decade that I’ve had an oven, so I’ve been catching up with some baking. I’ve made two batches of marzipan lidded mince pies, two batches of veggie sausage rolls and the most gigantic gooey chocolate chip cookies.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 22:08 

Those sausage rolls look gorgeous.

We'd got into the habit of making our own sausage meat but we had a couple of packs of dinky sausages in the freezer so Helen went the route of wrapping those in puff pastry and calling it done.

She wrapped the leftover pastry around mozzarella we haven't made Christmas pizza with; the cheese melted out leaving essentially baked puff pastry, and now I want to try just wrapping pastry around butter and seeing what happens...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 22:18 

Do you have a mincer to make your own sausage meet? I remember my Nan had one that screwed into the front of her Kenwood mixer.

I usually use a veggie sausage mix for my sausage rolls, but they’ve stopped selling/making the one I like this year, so I used some meatless farm sausages that I took the skins off and mixed with a bit of pepper and some herbs before re-shaping.

I shamed myself into action after writing my last post and am just steaming my sprouts. Future me will look back at now-me and love her.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 22:39 

Mimi wrote:
Do you have a mincer to make your own sausage meet? I remember my Nan had one that screwed into the front of her Kenwood mixer.

Yep - it clips into the front of our Kenwood mixer :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 22:51 

Oh! Hahaha! It just shows you that classic technology lasts, even in newer iterations. My Nan’s one was from the 60s, I believe!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 23:18 

One of my memories from childhood in the 80s is how reliable my mum's Kenwood was, and I think she even inherited that well-used, so when it came time for us to buy one and there was a crazy deal on Kenwoods that included all the paddles and 2 accessories plus discounts on further accessories, it wasn't a difficult choice.

We got the blender, grinder, spice/nut mill and processor ones. I think the processor is the only bit we don't use regularly, and none of it has broken in going on a decade, so can't argue! (I would if it did mind, it was a bargain but still expensive!)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 19:41 

Somehow the shops heard about the Christmas pizza we've made for years which has dulled the shine on that tradition.

Handily we accidentally invented Christmas kebabs today!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 14:01 

I finally bought the air fryer I was talking about buying half a year ago. Just used it for the first time. Not to cook bacon, but in some ways the anti-bacon.

I made some chickpeas with nutritional yeast and cayenne. They came out SO good. Much better than in the halogen cooker. And so quick. 15 minutes. I am very happy.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 22:12 

BikNorton wrote:
Helen just made me open my Christmas pressie early because I too am now a member of the Meater Block club! Woo!

So, a review.

Use 1: probe 2 would not stay connected even with the Block kept within 3 feet, either using the Weber smoker or kitchen oven.

Use 2: same.

Use 3: cooking using the Weber smoker and probes 1-3. Probe 3 now behaving same as probe 2.

Use 4: probe 4, previously unused, in the kitchen oven. Connection drops repeatedly, not as bad as 2 but worse than 3. Probes 1 and 2 no longer talking to the Block after several hours of charging, presumably because I dared to not wash 1-3 for a week after use 3.

I feel terrible for having had to tell Helen the thing she was excited to buy me with lots of money for Christmas is shit, she feels terrible for something she bought me for Christmas knowing I find Christmas stressful because I hate this kind of situation, is exactly this kind of situation, but with lots of money involved.

I haven't even told her about today's use.

I fucking hate it but will carry on using it anyway, knowing it's going to ruin the mood of everything I cook with it. Assuming any of the probes continue "working" at all, anyway.

0/10.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 22:35 

The Weber igrill2 I was previously bought as a gift is also terrible, but I believe costs less and has at least given number on all 4 probes consistently in several more years. You just have to ignore the abysmal Bluetooth range.

At least I can get numbers by going and looking at it, unlike the meater when it's not behaving. Which I still do, as I use it for ambient readings while the smoker is heating

2/10

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:44 
Can you dig it?

It's always so so so awkward when gifts don't work as expected.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:31 

BikNorton wrote:
0/10.

Interesting, the only problems I've had with mine are that I need to keep the block outside and put it under a sheet when I'm using it in my WSM so that the probes can talk to the block, probably around 2-3 feet away, and that the block itself seems to run out of battery power very quickly (and by that I mean, when not in active use, the batteries drain very quickly) so I'm just going to power it from a powerbank in future.

No issues with the probes at all.

Actually, I tell a lie, I did have an issue with one of the probes dropping connection but that was just because its battery was low. Sticking it back into the block while it was powered to charge up sorted that straight out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:55 

I have bought a maslin pan and a jam funnel and am going to attempt to make marmalade today. Never made anything like this before. Send help.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 15:09 

It took three whole hours to prep the oranges

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 18:08 

Attachment:
4790CB29-BF2B-4E61-8314-2B621B25CC15.jpeg
Attachment:
88E91FEF-9ECF-40D1-AB96-65F2A641ACB1.jpeg

All went really well!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:06 

I have a couple of cooking related questions.

1) Is there a way to batter and cook something without deep frying it?

I want to make beer battered parsnips, but I’m never going to deep fry them as the idea terrifies me, and the cost of the oil alone would be prohibitive.

And if there is a positive answer to the first question:

2) can the battered things (parsnips?) be cooled, stored (fridge? Freezer?) and reheated in an oven?

I have the inlaws coming over, thought I’d make a veggie roast, and just wondered if his is possible. But also don’t want to mess about frying whilst they are here.

No worries if not, I’ll just do the standard honey roast parsnips, but thought I’d ask.

@cras and anyone else who might know? I think maybe Doc G but I do t think he reads here any more :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:41 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Not 100% sure about 1) but 2) is a Yes as you can buy battered fish / onion rings etc from the supermarket and reheat in the oven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The batter in that case will usually be part'cooked, you'll note they're dry to the touch. They'll also cover in a cooking fat so that the food partially fries in the oven.

Doing it yourself, the issue is setting the batter.When you put it in the fryer, there's an instant amount of high heat that turns the batter solid on the outside very quickly, holding it in place while it cooks. It's extremely difficult to replicate that any other way. You can give it a go in an oven on high heat but unless you have a very thick batter it will likely slide off before cooking firm. Definitely don't try an air fryer, the fan will blow the batter off the parsnips

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:14 

Might it work if I shallow fry them quickly in a little oil?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Sort of? I think you'll find a good amount of the batter will slough off as you attempt to turn them - one of the advantages of deep frying is that they're floating in the oil and can set the batter on all sides without needing to interfere with them using implements which risks knocking off the batter.
As in all thinks I'd just say give it a go :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:27 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

If it doesn't work, grate the parsnip into the batter and basically make some soft of bhaji/fritter combo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:57 
Can you dig it?

Cras wrote:
If it doesn't work, grate the parsnip into the batter and basically make some soft of bhaji/fritter combo

This sounds really nice actually, I do enjoy a good frittery bhaji-type thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 13:37 

Cras wrote:

That’s a grate (a-hahaha) idea. I’ve made some lovely pakora/bhajis in the halogen oven before, and have some gram flour. I think I’ll do that. Thanks for the superb idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 17:39 

Probably of no interest to anybody but me, but I made strawberry jam entirely out of strawberries grown in the garden. I added the juice of one and a half lemons and 3tbsp of pomegranate molasses, plus a pinch of salt to the jam. It tastes so fresh and vibrant. I’m super happy with it,

(Also I made jam jar lid covers because the strawberry shaped jars I bought are excellent).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 19:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That looks great and the jars are amazing. Did you use sugar with added pectin or was the only source of pectin the lemon juice?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 19:39 

Thanks, Cras!

I added pectin. I don’t think there’d have been enough in the lemon juice (because as far as I’m aware the pectin in citrus is mostly found in the pith and flesh, which wasn’t boiled into the jam at any time), but the set was perfect. Maybe just dumb luck on my part?

I sterilised and canned the contents while still boiling hot, and then water bath canned them afterwards. I used the sauté function on the instant pot, as I realised that’s the deepest pot I own, and the only one that would cover the jars apart from the jam pot, which was full of jam remnants. It worked really well!

I wrote up the recipe after I made it, mostly so I could remember for next time.

https://mimicodd.com/homegrown-strawber ... es-recipe/

Was in half a mind to try balsamic vinegar in the jam but went with the pomegranate molasses and it is really nice!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 13:19 

Thought we might have a barbecue later, so I made some burger buns and hot dog rolls.

Maybe could have come out of the oven a minute earlier, but they’re nice and light.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 13:21 

Forgot the picture

Reply to topic  [ 704 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next