Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 20:05 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 69556
Location: Your Mum
Cras wrote:
Can it chill as well as heat?

It appears so.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 20:20 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 49232
Well.

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 21:28 
User avatar
chewbacca -future arc welder

Joined: 25th Oct, 2011
Posts: 2655
Location: Kashyyyk
I want to know how much noise it makes. Other than that: want.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 22:22 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 49232
Uh...

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 22:29 
User avatar
chewbacca -future arc welder

Joined: 25th Oct, 2011
Posts: 2655
Location: Kashyyyk
What am I missing? Is it another elaborate Grim... Joke?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 23:14 
SupaMod
User avatar
Commander-in-Cheese

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 49232
I thought it was just heated, I didn't realise it was self-inflating to unfold.

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:03 
User avatar
Bad Girl

Joined: 20th Apr, 2008
Posts: 14364
nPower are pestering me to install a “Smart Meter” as part of some “government” “Initiative” but should I let them?

Is there any benefit to me in not letting them “monitor” my “activities”?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:19 
User avatar
Master of dodgy spelling....

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 22558
Location: shropshire, uk
It gives accurate meter readings, why would you not want one?

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:23 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 17826
Location: Oxford
The main concern is to avoid the first generation of devices as these don't currently allow for continued use of the automatic reporting functions if you change your supplier, rendering it into nothing other than a prettier way to manually read your meters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:28 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 25628
I feel like the only house left in the UK that’s never been offered a Smart Meter.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:34 
User avatar
Master of dodgy spelling....

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 22558
Location: shropshire, uk
Kern wrote:
The main concern is to avoid the first generation of devices as these don't currently allow for continued use of the automatic reporting functions if you change your supplier, rendering it into nothing other than a prettier way to manually read your meters.


yes that happened to me.. i am now awaiting a new smart meter..

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:58 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 17029
Location: Parts unknown
I've been offered one loads of times but have turned them down every time.

I don't see the benefit really? Apart from not having to read the meter every 3 months, what else do they do?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:12 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 11128
TheVision wrote:
I've been offered one loads of times but have turned them down every time.

I don't see the benefit really? Apart from not having to read the meter every 3 months, what else do they do?


That alone is benefit enough for me, given that literally the only reason a meter exists is to allow your suppliers to bill you accurately. Why give yourself a manual job to do to make sure you're not being overcharged when you can totally not have to do that?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 22:16 
User avatar
UltraMod

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 55717
Location: California
Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:
I've been offered one loads of times but have turned them down every time.

I don't see the benefit really? Apart from not having to read the meter every 3 months, what else do they do?


That alone is benefit enough for me, given that literally the only reason a meter exists is to allow your suppliers to bill you accurately. Why give yourself a manual job to do to make sure you're not being overcharged when you can totally not have to do that?

I can't think of a single reason why.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 22:27 
User avatar
Sitting balls-back folder

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 10091
Big Clive on YouTube keeps going on about how smart meters will let them charge for apparent power use not actual power. Something to do with modern electronics, I don't get it, but the gist is that they want to start reclaiming the profit lost in the mass switch to LED lights and such.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 17:37 
User avatar
Noob as of 6/8/10

Joined: 6th Aug, 2010
Posts: 5341
Location: , Location, Location.
We just received an email from Hive Home .....

Hi Mrs Warhead,
Have you seen your savings start to stack up since you started using Hive Heating Plus? By being smarter with your heating, you've not only racked up savings, but also lowered your carbon footprint! Your free trial is coming to an end, so renew now to stay warm and stay saving.


1) Have you seen your savings start to stack up since you started using Hive Heating Plus?
No. I haven't started using Hive Heating Plus. Fuck off.


2) By being smarter with your heating, you've not only racked up savings, but also lowered your carbon footprint!
Show me the evidence. You can't, can you? Fuck off.

3) Your free trial is coming to an end, so renew now to stay warm and stay saving.
If you're so clever you should know that the hub you supplied has never been plugged in because it's not going to tell me anything I don't already know and I don't give a shit about being able to turn my heating on or off when I'm not at home, nor do I need your 'hints' on how to save money on my energy bills for £3.99 per month. Fuck off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 19:12 
User avatar

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 25628
Bad day, Mr Warhead?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 22:33 
User avatar
Noob as of 6/8/10

Joined: 6th Aug, 2010
Posts: 5341
Location: , Location, Location.
Oh, I felt better after my little rant.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:33 
User avatar
Master of dodgy spelling....

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 22558
Location: shropshire, uk
Warhead wrote:
We just received an email from Hive Home .....

Hi Mrs Warhead,
Have you seen your savings start to stack up since you started using Hive Heating Plus? By being smarter with your heating, you've not only racked up savings, but also lowered your carbon footprint! Your free trial is coming to an end, so renew now to stay warm and stay saving.


1) Have you seen your savings start to stack up since you started using Hive Heating Plus?
No. I haven't started using Hive Heating Plus. Fuck off.


2) By being smarter with your heating, you've not only racked up savings, but also lowered your carbon footprint!
Show me the evidence. You can't, can you? Fuck off.

3) Your free trial is coming to an end, so renew now to stay warm and stay saving.
If you're so clever you should know that the hub you supplied has never been plugged in because it's not going to tell me anything I don't already know and I don't give a shit about being able to turn my heating on or off when I'm not at home, nor do I need your 'hints' on how to save money on my energy bills for £3.99 per month. Fuck off.



it is a good little system :)

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hive (Central Heating)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 13:55 
User avatar
Noob as of 6/8/10

Joined: 6th Aug, 2010
Posts: 5341
Location: , Location, Location.
KovacsC wrote:
Warhead wrote:
We just received an email from Hive Home .....

Hi Mrs Warhead,
Have you seen your savings start to stack up since you started using Hive Heating Plus? By being smarter with your heating, you've not only racked up savings, but also lowered your carbon footprint! Your free trial is coming to an end, so renew now to stay warm and stay saving.


1) Have you seen your savings start to stack up since you started using Hive Heating Plus?
No. I haven't started using Hive Heating Plus. Fuck off.


2) By being smarter with your heating, you've not only racked up savings, but also lowered your carbon footprint!
Show me the evidence. You can't, can you? Fuck off.

3) Your free trial is coming to an end, so renew now to stay warm and stay saving.
If you're so clever you should know that the hub you supplied has never been plugged in because it's not going to tell me anything I don't already know and I don't give a shit about being able to turn my heating on or off when I'm not at home, nor do I need your 'hints' on how to save money on my energy bills for £3.99 per month. Fuck off.



it is a good little system :)


I'm sure it is, if you've got smart valves on your radiators, smart lightbulbs, etc. etc.

But I don't have those things and have no intention of getting them in the foreseeable future. I'm very happy with the Hive Thermostat and the new boiler should be more efficient than the old one. It's costing less on the loan to pay for the boiler than I was paying on the full maintenance contract for the old one, so it's a good deal, I just don't want or need the additional whistles and bells.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hearthly and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen. RIP, MrC. RIP, Dimmers.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.