Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: FEAR 3
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 22:12 
Bad Girl

This'll soon fall off the front page, but hey.

Anyway, it's pretty damn good!

Just played the first level and I've really really enjoyed it. Terrific shooting and more slow mo face exploding. And the AI is massively underrated in favour of, say, Halo. The generic soliders have some great chatter and run about flanking and throwing grenades to flush you ou. Hell, they even shout out that's what they're doing. It's great!

The only thing that's fucking wound me up though is that the scares have gone in favour of achievement/stat crunching nonsense. 'You spent 100 seconds behind cover!' Brilliant I'm supposed to get saving the world not being reminded every 2 minutes that I'm playing a computer game. Oh and it's gone all Duke Nukem as you can only hold two weapons. Tch. And the story is now just a load of nonsense.

Three things then.

Post subject: Re: FEAR 3
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 22:34 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I enjoyed it, but nowhere near as much as Fear 2, which properly freaked me out on more than a few occasions. It's a good, solid shooter, but it's very short, a bit too bright, and the story is gash. Definitely worth a play, but perhaps not worth the £40 I paid.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 0:00 
Rude Belittler

It's good. Solid shooting, Some bits were awesome. Interval 3 is actually pretty creepy. The bit with the TVs... brrr. Make sure to give Fettel a go... plays differently. Some nice set pieces.

Weapons have always been limited in FEAR, its just dropped the limit by one. And considering you'll mostly be using SMG/Assault Rifle plus one it doesn't really matter that much. Mech bits are still awesome.

Didn't like the last level that much.

Anyone up for co-op?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 0:07 
Peculiar, yet lovely

I never even liked the first fear, so am highly unlikely to ever play this, but thought I'd just pop in to say that I appreciate your spelling the title properly. Stupid bloody marketing twats.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:33 

sinister agent wrote:
I never even liked the first fear, so am highly unlikely to ever play this, but thought I'd just pop in to say that I appreciate your spelling the title properly. Stupid bloody marketing twats.

I didn't like the first one, either, but the second is a massive, gigantic improvement, and genuinely a bloody cracking game. It should be mere pennies now, so go and buy it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:12 
Excellent Member

Hi..

I heard about this game.But i didn't play this game. I want to play this game as this game has good reviews. So please tell me where can i play this game, so that i can share my views about this game with you and my friends also.

Thanks,

A Spamcunt.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 19:41 
Bad Girl

I really liked FEAR although it hasn't really stood the test of time, but at least it tried something different with the average shooter mixing it with Jap horror. It had a cracking little multiplayer too.

FEAR 2 was great though even though the multiplayer was gash. Nice story, reasonable scares, and a decent sized campaign more than made up for the empty MP rooms.

Can't wait to have another crack at this tonight now. I was surprised how good it all looks. The images on XBL seriously do it a disservice.

Oh and I haven't tried fettel yet but I'd like to.

With some crackers. Ho-ho.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 20:01 

Fettel is fun, though I've only got a chapter or so into the game with him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 20:10 
Hello Hello Hello

This is a 'Steam Sale' purchase for me, liked the original FEAR although it ran out of ideas dreadfully towards the end, and never played FEAR 2.

Not going to risk £30 on FEAR 3 but under a tenner and I'll have a look.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 23:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Ian Fairies wrote:
Oh and it's gone all Duke Nukem as you can only hold two weapons.

Could you carry a boatloat of weapons in the first one? My head is telling me you could have a pistol, SMG, and a 'big' gun, but it was a fair while ago so I could well be wrong.

Malabelm wrote:
I didn't like the first one, either, but the second is a massive, gigantic improvement

THE BELM, IT BURNS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:28 

Grim... wrote:
THE BELM, IT BURNS

It was a good game underneath that same corridor over and over, I'll admit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:38 
Bad Girl

That third level in the warehouse was brilliant. Yes, it was a warehouse, but it felt like a proper retail warehouse. It was creepy, looked great, has its own internal story with homes being built in the gantries and the TV section was done tremendously. I loved every second of it after the tedium of the second level. It seemed like a cross between FEAR and the first Condemned. The meat locker, the industrial freezers section, the garden centre bit. Brilliant. Please, please, please keep this up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:44 

I quite enjoyed the first two games so I think I'll probably just hire this out and run through the single player.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:01 
Hibernating Druid

Don't think I've played one, maybe just a little bit round yours Mark, but that's it.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 18:50 
Hello Hello Hello

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... 3-face-off

Quote:
The PC version is by far the best version of F.E.A.R. 3 available, with the ability to run at much higher frame-rates and resolutions providing a tangibly more immersive, playable experience.

Quote:
Speaking of performance, you should be able to get a 60FPS update with max settings on something approaching a Core i5 and GTX460 set-up easily.

(The £500 gaming PC will match this spec easily - viewtopic.php?p=563103#p563103)

Quote:
There's no question that the PC version of F.E.A.R. 3 offers up the finest experience of the three releases.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 18:55 

Thanks for answering a question nobody was asking :shrug:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 19:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Malabelm wrote:
Thanks for answering a question nobody was asking :shrug:

It's an observation about FEAR3, in the FEAR3 thread :)

Still not spending £30 on it though. DiRT3 is in the bloody Steam sale why can't FEAR3 be too, dammit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 19:52 
Bad Girl

To give a balanced opinion (and not giving two steaming shits about megatexturedsuperantialiaising) I just want to add that the 360 version looks great and runs smoothly with no noticable drop in frame rate. And when the big effects run in slow-mo why would they.

Bit bemused with the cut-scenes have large black borders though - it looks shit, not cinematic.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 19:58 
Hello Hello Hello

Ian Fairies wrote:
To give a balanced opinion (and not giving two steaming shits about megatexturedsuperantialiaising) I just want to add that the 360 version looks great and runs smoothly with no noticable drop in frame rate. And when the big effects run in slow-mo why would they.

Bit bemused with the cut-scenes have large black borders though - it looks shit, not cinematic.

30FPS is not smooth, man.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 19:58 

Ian Fairies wrote:

I don't mind them being there, but I'm confused as to why they though adding a texture to them was a good idea. Very jarring.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 19:59 

AtrocityExhibition wrote:

Yes it is. Unless you have a shit brain. We've already been over this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 20:11 
Hello Hello Hello

Malabelm wrote:

Well it's not as smooth as 60FPS.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 20:24 
Hello Hello Hello

Malabelm wrote:

I forget the specifics, but there are a load of variables that influence what the eye/brain can perceive in any given situation and it's not always consistent.

Motion blur however is employed in films to reduce the effect of the judders, which you generally don't have in games.

There's a decent Wiki explanation here, albeit lacking in citations - #cite_note-11">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate#cite_note-11

There's also an excellent online toy here - http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

So let me rephrase, 30FPS is smooth to an extent, but 60FPS is visibly and perceptibly smoother (and IMO better), plus it inherently means less input lag.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/peter-ja ... 2861171558

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 20:26 
Bad Girl

It's supposed to be a slow burning horror FPS not a driving game where I might give a shit. Which I don't. I haven't felt the need to go thundering around once so your point is largely meaningless.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 20:37 
Hello Hello Hello

Ian Fairies wrote:
It's supposed to be a slow burning horror FPS not a driving game where I might give a shit. Which I don't. I haven't felt the need to go thundering around once so your point is largely meaningless.

So Eurogamer's point is entirely incorrect/meaningless as well?

Is Peter Jackson wrong when he explains why he's chosen to shoot The Hobbit at 48FPS instead of 24FPS?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 20:48 
Bad Girl

Eurogamer: Wouldn't be the first time I've disagreed with anything on that site. Plus, I think I've already made my point, I don't give a shit. I'm a gamer not a tedious nerd.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 20:49 

Is Peter Jackson wrong when he explains why he's chosen to shoot The Hobbit at 48FPS instead of 24FPS?
He's doing WHAT? That fucking sucks.

Incidentally, I can't perceive any difference between the second and third animations on http://www.boallen.com/fps-compare.html.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 20:52 
Hello Hello Hello

Ian Fairies wrote:
Eurogamer: Wouldn't be the first time I've disagreed with anything on that site. Plus, I think I've already made my point, I don't give a shit. I'm a gamer not a tedious nerd.

Well at least I'm not abusive.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 21:00 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Incidentally, I can't perceive any difference between the second and third animations on http://www.boallen.com/fps-compare.html.

8) Seriously?

Without getting into 'who's got the broken brain', there's a really obvious difference to me between the two (not as night and day as the 15FPS and 30FPS squares I'll grant you), particularly at the top of the bounce where the square spins around, the corners of the square 'break up' at 30FPS quite clearly as my eyes perceive more than one square, whereas the 60FPS square remains entirely coherent and solid.

It's possible it's just my eyes and brain I suppose, I can hardly see the 3D effect on the 3DS at all and even when I can it gives me a headache in about a minute.

Need For Speed Most Wanted is the last 360 game I played in anger, and the 30FPS on that made my eyes hurt after a session, I never got that with Ridge Racer 6 (60FPS).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 21:04 

So... how do you ever watch any films then?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 21:08 

My willy, watch me wave it Image

In other news using flash to show differences in framerate is a fools game. It's a stuttering mess at the best of times, how have your magic eyes not noticed this? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 21:13 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
So... how do you ever watch any films then?

Motion blur I believe. (You only need to pause any DVD and the individual frame is hardly ever 'clean' during fast sequences, it's basically blurred or smeared.)

According to Peter Jackson:

Quote:
Looking at 24 frames every second may seem ok--and we've all seen thousands of films like this over the last 90 years--but there is often quite a lot of blur in each frame, during fast movements, and if the camera is moving around quickly, the image can judder or "strobe."

I can definitely see the judder and strobing he refers to, and often find it very off-putting during certain sequences, especially panning shots (even relatively slow ones), to the extent that it can sometimes take me out of the film a bit.

Also, it's easy when watching a film to de-focus your eyes a bit but a game requires your constant attention.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 21:14 
Hello Hello Hello

Wullie wrote:
In other news using flash to show differences in framerate is a fools game. It's a stuttering mess at the best of times, how have your magic eyes not noticed this? ;)

Which is why he's helpfully included an 'fps ok' check to each animation to ensure it's being displayed at the correct framerate :)

Quote:
Note: "fps ok" means you're seeing the animations at the intended rate. If you see "fps too slow", it means your computer is slow, and isn't rendering the animations fast enough.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 21:22 

Unless my eyes have somehow developed a stutter* that check is humped :DD

*Could happen :nerd:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 21:29 
Hibernating Druid

60fps is 35.7% smoother on a Mac than a PC.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 21:33 

I can definitely see the judder and strobing he refers to, and often find it very off-putting during certain sequences, especially panning shots (even relatively slow ones), to the extent that it can sometimes take me out of the film a bit.
That's the entire goddamn point. It's why I turn those 100Hz frame interpolation modes right off, and cannot bear to watch on any TV that has them switch on.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 21:47 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
That's the entire goddamn point. It's why I turn those 100Hz frame interpolation modes right off, and cannot bear to watch on any TV that has them switch on.

I'm confused, are we talking about two different things now or are they linked in some way?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 22:38 
Bad Girl

Definitely two different things: FEAR 3 and some tedious shit that you should take to another topic.

Please. :kiss:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 19:44 
Bad Girl

Finished ithis with Point Man and it was...terrific! Loved every minute of the short campaign. I've no idea how long it took but it might have been around the 5 to 7 hour mark. Seemed like the former but that could have been because I couldn't put it down once I'd started and the levels are nice and lengthy.

I'd say it was very similar to FEAR 2 with co-op and statistics. I was a bit annoyed by the stats at first but eventually you rather enjoy them being there especially when you remember "Oh yeah, I haven't made enough faces explode with the shotty today" and decide to remedy it. It nicely encourages you to play with the other weapons. You only accumulate stats during combat so they don't get in the way of the scares. Scares which are few and far between after the mid-way section so it's a good job that the combat is so immensely satisfying. The shotty rips arms and legs from their sockets and often makes entire bodies explode in crimson. Combat which is significantly less entertaining with Fettel who doesn't possess the slow-mo ability (Ho-ho, see what I did there). I've played a couple of levels with Fettel and, although he's perfectly servicable, I won't be returning to.

The last level was utter nonsense and a real disappointment. One minute you're heading towards the tower where Alma is giving birth and the next you're exploring some laboratory from the past fighting some dream monster. I just didn't get it. It was as if it was missing a level. Which is a real shame cause what is there is great stuff a few levels of shooting and a few weird levels (although the empahsis is on the straight shooting than the weird levels). It seems like a real mistep to reintroduce Fettel as a ghost though - his distinctive voice is brilliant, but only in short doses because he sounds like a pervy uncle tempting you into seeing his puppies. Plus I've no idea how you kill a ghost, but apparently you shoot them in the head. Strange. And plus he now looks like a teenage postal worker. And whoever thought making Point Man look like Wolverine needs shooting. In slow mo.

This is a perfect rental game. 7/10.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 22:25 
UltraMod

I actually really enjoyed the first game, despite being really stingy with achievements (~110G after completing it on Normal, finishing the challenge rooms and collecting all the answerphone messages).

I should probably pick up the second.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:09 

Can anyone who's done this offer advice on taking down the mecha in Interval 05 - Tower? It appears to be immune to all weapons. It has Danielle stumped, and I can't get past it either, on the easiest difficulty. Not having played the rest of the game, I imagine I'm missing some trick -- but what?

Post subject: FEAR 3
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:20 

Is that the bit where it drops down in the middle, loads of pillars around?

If so, it's an arse, but there's a laser weapon at one end. It still required a lot of restarts and patience when I did it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 13:33 

Yeah, we got it in the end. That was a tedious difficulty spike. Part of the key seems to be to kill all the grunt before killing the blue supersoldier guy, immediately before the mech lands. More grunts eventually spawn, but it means you can get some good hits in against the mech without being distracted with running idiots.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 20:17 
Excellent Painter

I'm deeply envious of your gamer chick wife ;o)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 18:55 

The first two levels sucked, then the third was really rather good, then during the fourth rather sucky level I was attacked by a mech with nowhere to hide, soldiers constantly respawning, no special weapon lying around and no other indication of what I was supposed to do. After dying 10 times I uninstalled because FUCK THIS. No more F.E.A.R. for me, I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 20:16 
Excellent Member

The first FEAR was actually great, and probably one of the best FPS i've ever played. The second one was among the dullest i've ever played. So, I never even cared to try the 3rd one, and it seems I didn't lose much.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 21:46 
UltraMod

I really enjoyed the first one too. There was something about the slomo mechanic that was really satisfying. I played the demo for FEAR 2 and I was like yep nope

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 21:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

May Payne has more slo mo goodness.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 22:21 
What-ho, chaps!

FEAR 3 is great. GREAT. You shoot mens, and be a man with long hair and a beard. It is my autobiography.

It surely must be incredibly cheap everywhere by now? I got it for 360 for tuppence hapenny. If you see it for a fiver and don't get it, you're the fool. It might not be as fun as sliding around in a dated-looking-but-quite-nice warehouse collection hearing everybody yell 'OH SHIT' over and over, but I can't think of anything better than FEAR 3 off the top of my head.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 22:32 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
May Payne has more slo mo goodness.

Different. Max Payne was third-person and you just slomo jumped into every room. In Fear you ran into a room, saw an effload of enemies, hit slomo and FUCKED THEM ALL UP

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next