Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 924 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Techno hats - now available for PS4
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:53 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
It was more like six months. I shall rephrase:

I still wish the Kinect had been bundled with the Bone forever, because then people might have done some really cool stuff with it.

Probably not. It would have just meant the Bone suffered even poorer sales.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Stick to your guns, MS!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:07 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I have a Kinect but have rarely used it for games. There is one game which is ace though. It's called Fru.

It's basically a platformer but your shadow needs to make the platforms and block out obstacles for your character to pass through. I haven't described that very well but it's a novel use of the Kinect. The only one I can think of mind.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:17 
Unpossible!

I regularly play OG Kinect games with the kids on the 360. Great fun.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:23 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

DavPaz wrote:
I regularly play OG Kinect games with the kids on the 360. Great fun.

Oh yeah, that reminds me. They're a bit young now but my kids have played Fruit Ninja on it. They're a bit small for the Kinect to recognise them but we got their in the end and they loved it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:44 
UltraMod

That reminds me, I need to get Fruit Ninja VR on the Rift seeing as it's one of the greatest games of all time as voted by Beex members.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 13:06 

It is pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:01 
Paws for thought

Lonewolves wrote:
That reminds me, I need to get Fruit Ninja VR on the Rift seeing as it's one of the greatest games of all time as voted by idiots.

I wouldn't trust them, they rated Try Not To Fart as one of the very best games of all time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:49 

Robo Recall is pretty damn gud.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:49 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:54 
Can you dig it?

Mr Dave wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
That reminds me, I need to get Fruit Ninja VR on the Rift seeing as it's one of the greatest games of all time as voted by idiots.

I wouldn't trust them, they rated Try Not To Fart as one of the very best games of all time.

I quite enjoyed Try Not To Fart. A VR version would be great.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:44 

GazChap wrote:

And not out for PSVR so screw you buddy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:54 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
GazChap wrote:

And not out for PSVR so screw you buddy.

Yeah, but you get to *be* Batman.

Just noticed I double posted that. Not sure how though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:56 

Platform exclusives are dangerous at this point so early in the lifecycle. RE7 is exclusive for a year, too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 13:06 

I agree, but on the other hand Oculus/Facebook funded the development of Robo Recall almost entirely from what I can gather, so I can see why they insisted on it.

I'm quite concerned that the spat between Zenimax and Oculus is going to mean that when Fallout 4 VR is finished they'll lock it away from the Rift (as Google did with Google Earth)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 17:15 
UltraMod

I actually think long-term Oculus are in trouble. Valve are developing multiple headsets to use the Steam platform, Sony will have the console side sewn up. Oculus have their own store with pitiful sales and overpriced games and a relative handful of users.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 17:35 

On the other hand, Zuck has extremely deep pockets and appears to be personally (as well as commercially) invested in VR as a platform. If VR turns out to not be commercially successful (again), I could see Sony and Valve throwing in the towel but Facebook sticking by it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:28 
Excellent Member

Started playing I Expect You To Die last night and enjoyed it muchly. I could probably have hammered through more of it than the first two missions that I did, but after the first completion I spent time trying to discover and carry out the optional tasks which adds a decent amount of re-playability. I particularly like the fact that there are different ways to carry out some of the tasks. So, for instance, in the first mission
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I initially blew open the cargo doors by lighting a dynamite stick then physically chucking it out of the rolled down window, and only after struggling to replicate that feat loads of times on subsequent playthroughs did I even realise there was a grenade launcher in the car
. And there's a control panel on the second mission that I haven't even worked out the purpose off yet so there's obviously something else going on there as well. The only criticism I'd have is that the controls are a bit of a pain in the arse when you're manipulating objects at a distance and when under time pressure I still keep pressing the wrong buttons. I feel that could've been better implemented maybe using gesture controls to move things to towards/away from your character because the face buttons on the Move controllers are just shit, but possible that would bring it's own problems. Anyway, highly recommends based on what I've played so far and I look forward to seeing other people have a go at the puzzles even after I've completed it. Obviously, I Expect Them To Die.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:30 
Excellent Member

On the downside, this is the first time I've used my VR setup since taking it to/from my mate's house at the weekend and I'm seeing some weird 'ghosting' going on that I don't think happened previously. So when I move my head it's as if the display isn't updating fast enough, or something. I'll have a check of all the various connections again this evening but it's a worry; has anyone else ever seen anything like that?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:39 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

IEYTD really is great. I very much like that there are multiple ways to solve many of the puzzles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 16:02 
Excellent Member

On a general technohat type note, I had a go on the Microsoft HoloLens the other day (spoiler alert: it's balls).

The company demoing it worked with companies like Network Rail to give their workders a HUD that let them see enhanced views on things like cabling in tunnels and whatnot. The actual demo app we got our hands on had you standing in a house with the walls etc mapped to the dimensions of the room we were standing in. A floating menu then let you toggle on/off various aspects of the structure so, for instance, you could toggle the floor off so you could see down to the pipework and electrics below.

The problem is that the actual field of view (might not be the correct term there) is a tiny little rectangle in the middle of your vision and the AR content isn't very vivid so the overall effect was of peering through a tiny little window into an really insubstantial ghost house. You got so little context from the tiny window you could see through that it was actually really difficult to work out what you were looking at most of the time. When watching people ahead of me in the queue get their shot the helper woman almost always had to actually point out the menu which left you wondering how they could miss this honking great thing floating right in front of them and it was only when I got into it that it all made sense. I'd heard from reading about it that the FOV was really small but I wasn't prepared for quite how shit it actually was.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 16:21 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Wow... That sounds nothing like what I've seen from all the press shots etc. I thought it looked good but I imagine like all Microsoft products, what they promise and what they deliver are two completely different things.

Still, at least they've got a few years to get it working right. What could possibly go wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 16:59 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
Wow... That sounds nothing like what I've seen from all the press shots etc. I thought it looked good but I imagine like all Microsoft products, what they promise and what they deliver are two completely different things.

Still, at least they've got a few years to get it working right. What could possibly go wrong?

In fairness, I've got no idea how much of that is a genuine hardware limitation and how much is the actual app they were running. Maybe it's capable of a wider FOV and they'd limited it for some reason? It certainly occurred to me that they might've turned down the 'vividness' of the AR content in order to preserve battery life for the sake of the demo but I didn't think to ask at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:48 
Excellent Member

Arkham VR is coming to the other VR platforms at the end of the month: https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/03/bat ... -and-vive/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:53 
Excellent Member

HTC knock some money off the Vive and launch a subscription service that lets you play a selection of games every month for a pretty low cost: https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/03/htc ... on-launch/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 16:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

There's a sale on the PSN Store at the moment for most VR games.

EVE Valkyrie is down 54% to £25 - yoink.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 17:05 
Excellent Member

I'm very tempted by Bound for £6.39...

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:25 
Excellent Member

Statik for the PSVR looks pretty cool and there's a demo available for it on the PS Store. Why in the fuck they won't just add these things to the normal Demos section of the store I really don't understand.

https://www.destructoid.com/review-statik-434134.phtml

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 20:07 
Decapodian

Polybius has arrived on my PS4, but not had chance to play it yet. Looks great fun though

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 21:53 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:
Statik for the PSVR looks pretty cool and there's a demo available for it on the PS Store. Why in the fuck they won't just add these things to the normal Demos section of the store I really don't understand.

https://www.destructoid.com/review-statik-434134.phtml

I played that demo this very evening and it was really good fun. You're dropped into a weird lab setup with a guy at a desk mumbling at you and your hands locked in this weird box thing. Pretty much every button, stick and trigger on the controller does something and you've got to figure out what it wants you to do and how to then accomplish that. The level in the demo is part experimentation and part lateral thinking and I thoroughly enjoyed it so it goes on The List.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 13:55 

SuperHot VR confirmed for PS4, apparently

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/ ... h=c73904b1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 14:02 

Decided to get me one of these things later in the year. I've been loving Dirt Rally with the wheel and it's supposed to be amazing with a VR hat on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:01 
Excellent Member

There's a free VR thing on the PS Store to promote the up-coming Spiderman film. Obviously it's pretty short but fucking around with the various types of webbing is a good laugh and there's certainly more to it than I was expecting. Worth checking out for sure.

Also worth checking out is the demo for Ancient Amuletor. It's basically a tower defence game but instead of building defences you are the defences and teleport around the level murdering the various minions that are trying to destroy your stuff. I couldn't get on with the archer dude but the mage guy was fun and chucking his magic around the place was pretty satisfying stuff. Although it's lacking from the demo, the full game will have multiplayer and I reckon the frenetic chaos of multiple people zipping around trying to defend everything would be really good fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:10 

VR co-op has amazing potential because it makes you feel like you are "together" in a way that having a voice chat doesn't. Citation: Star Trek. I want to try Arizona Sunshine, which has two- player co-op in the story plus a four player horde mode.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:15 

This (regarding a jump scare in RE7) is written in dreadful internet speak but makes a strong point I think:-
https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/ ... 7/djndfvg/

VR is so effective because we're used to having a layer of abstraction between us and the game. VR breaks some of that abstraction down, and leave us vulnerable in a way that we've probably never experienced before.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

To some extent I agree, and to some extent I disagree. The way RE7 handles turning movement (while I know this is a deliberate anti-vomit compromise) provided, to me, an additional abstraction that took me out of the game. Movement isn't well sussed out yet, it's got a way to go.

Fuck Kitchen in its fucking face though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:36 

I found horror stuff scary even with Google Cardboard. I think it's mostly that you can't just look away, look around the room to take yourself out of it as easily as if it's just on telly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:36 

Cras wrote:
To some extent I agree, and to some extent I disagree. The way RE7 handles turning movement (while I know this is a deliberate anti-vomit compromise) provided, to me, an additional abstraction that took me out of the game. Movement isn't well sussed out yet, it's got a way to go.
I can't comment, I still haven't started RE7, mostly because...

Quote:
Fuck Kitchen in its fucking face though.
...this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:37 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:

You know you can turn all that off, right? I played the demo multiple times in VR and always just had normal FPS walk/look setup and it was fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:
The way RE7 handles turning movement (while I know this is a deliberate anti-vomit compromise) provided, to me, an additional abstraction that took me out of the game.

As I kept saying at the time, you can turn that off.

No-one listened to me :(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:39 
Unpossible!

I tried minecraft with full movement in VR and I nearly chucked my guts up in seconds. It didn't help that it was through a fudged up Rift Simulator type thing with the Google cardboard and there was a lot of lag, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:47 
Excellent Member

I had very minor feelings of general 'weirdness' when first playing Robinson but those disappeared pretty quickly and the RE7 and Bound demos never gave me any gyp at all even when playing with all nausea controls turned off. Admittedly all of this aside from a couple of initial hours with Robinson were played on my Pro so I'm not entirely ruling out the possibility that it's pumping out slightly higher frame rates (or somehow smoothing things out in another way) and that's why this all seemed to clear up around that time. I don't know how likely that is mind.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:54 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
I tried minecraft with full movement in VR and I nearly chucked my guts up in seconds. It didn't help that it was through a fudged up Rift Simulator type thing with the Google cardboard and there was a lot of lag, though.

Yeah, any kind of lag will really fuck you up; that's not going to be a good test of how you'd fare with a proper setup.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 13:03 
UltraMod

Minecraft VR is vomit-inducing on all platforms. They've got it badly wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 13:15 
Unpossible!

I've seen that the Gear VR version has a mode which simulates you playing on a large 3D display in a living room. Is that present in other versions?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 13:16 

DavPaz wrote:
I've seen that the Gear VR version has a mode which simulates you playing on a large 3D display in a living room. Is that present in other versions?

That's the default behaviour for playing all normal PS4 games in PSVR. It's a bit rubbish though, I don't know that you'd use it for anything when you have a perfectly good telly right there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 13:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

That's the default behaviour for playing all normal PS4 games in PSVR. It's a bit rubbish though, I don't know that you'd use it for anything.

I watched a film on Plex while lying on my back on the sofa. It was very comfy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 13:17 

I might take my Daydream on my next international flight. Mobile VR seems like a good way to watch a video on a plane.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 13:22 

Cras wrote:

Just one? Why not another?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 13:25 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cras wrote:

Just one? Why not another?

My technohat is on the other side of the room.

Reply to topic  [ 924 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next