Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 924 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Techno hats - now available for PS4
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

For some reason, talking to car strikes me as odd compared to talking to a spaceship, even though I actually own a car that you can use voice commands with.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:39 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
For some reason, talking to car strikes me as odd compared to talking to a spaceship, even though I actually own a car that you can use voice commands with.

So do I.

"start, you bastard!"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:40 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:

So do I.

"start, you bastard!"

Actual lol! Good work.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:48 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:

Pretend you're talking to your race engineer: "2 gallons of fuel, four tyres!"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:53 
Gogmagog

Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Pretend you're talking to your race engineer: "2 gallons of fuel, four tyres!"

"i'm gonna give you an engine low to the ground... extra thick oil pan to cut the wind from underneath you. It'll give you thirty or forty more horsepower. I'm gonna give you a fuel line that'll hold an extra gallon of gas. I'm gonna shave half an inch off you and shape you like a bullet. I'll get you primed, painted and weighed, and you'll be ready to go out on that racetrack. Hear me? You're gonna be perfect"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:

So do I.

"start, you bastard!"

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/aeroso ... ne_Starter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 20:05 

I just ordered a Daydream, Google's VR headset.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 20:37 
Unpossible!

Are they making you pay for it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 20:50 

Yup.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 21:23 
Unpossible!

I bet you have to pay the tax, as well. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 21:50 
Hello Hello Hello

PS4 TECHNOHAT REPORTAGE.

So instead of talking mindless drivel about something I know nothing about, now I can talk mindless drivel about something I know a bit about - huzzah!

Two of us popped round to our VR-enabled chum after work today to have a go on his PSVR, we divided Matrix-esque VR immersion between the two of us, with our gracious host acting as our guide through the experiences/games and also providing a posh fizzy orange drink that I think was called Pelligrino and is fancier than anything I would tend to have in the house, and came in a nice can with a foil lid on it.

He is also very good at getting the headset in place properly, providing the earphones once the headset is in place, handing over the pad (which at this point you can't see), and suchlike, which whilst not particularly onerous could be a bit of a faff to start with if it was just you doing it.

I should note that he has a pretty much perfect VR setup, in a dedicated games room, with a nice gaming chair in the centre of the room with decent clearance all round, the camera positioned perfectly on a monitor, and he's done some sensible cable routing so you can kind of spin around a bit and even do some movement on the floor (whilst sat in the chair) without any issue. He's also got a ceiling fan just above the chair to keep you cool as it does get quite hot with the headset on.

As such your mileage may vary if you're in a less optimal scenario.

VR REPORT FIRST THING, THE DEEP:

So we both had a run through this diving experience called 'THE DEEP', it's entirely non-interactive and is designed to be a 'WOW ZOMG' VR introduction piece, you're basically just in a diving cage contraption and descend from the surface of the sea through a couple of 'levels' to what lies at the bottom, there's a well acted voiceover track and plenty of stuff going on.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
SHARK ATTACK at the end!

This was very impressive and we both loved it, when the diving cage starts descending you really do feel like you're descending as well, and I just wanted to reach out and touch the control panel of the cage as it felt like it was right there in front of me.

It's a bit weird as you have no appendages so you're sort of like a disembodied soul in the cage, but that didn't spoil things for either of us - the way you can genuinely look around you and track things is quite something.

The surprise bit (spoilered above if you want to see what it is) was kind of expected anyway, but still worked very well, on top of that I did THE DEEP second so had watched it all already on the monitor that mirrors what the VR person sees, but nonetheless had instinctive reactions of recoiling and dodging to what my brain was telling me was happening.

Would you want to go through it more than once? Probably not, but as an introduction to what VR can feel like it worked splendidly. I would give this a very big thumbs-up.

SECOND THING, EVE VALKYRIE:

I didn't have a go on this but I am told it worked well and was pretty effective. It looked fine on the monitor (which does nothing to convey the VR-ness of the experience, as watching and experiencing THE DEEP were two massively different things) and my mate enjoyed it well enough but wasn't really blown away by it, as he got up he said he did feel ever so slightly woozy as well. He also had to leave at this point as he had a badminton match to get to.

The VR-owning chap says he's had a reasonable amount of fun with it, although it's quite limited as a game and the arenas seem very small, and about 30 minutes at a time max is enough.

THIRD THING, SCAVENGER'S ODYSSEY:

I was interested in this one as our host had reported he lasted about 10 minutes before having to give up as he felt like puking, I managed better than that and did the first two chapters, but by the end of that time I was genuinely glad to get the headset off and call it quits as nausea was most definitely setting in.

It was OK to start with but once it started doing the more freaky jumps and inversions a somewhat unpleasant feeling descended on me which only got worse, to the extent that I really didn't want to try anything else once I'd taken the headset off. This nauseous feeling persisted for most of the 25 mile drive home, and I didn't even stop for a drive-through McDonald's in Douglas and that's SERIOUS SHIT as I fucking love McDonald's and eating two cheeseburgers and a large fries is a match made in heaven when you've got an automatic car so only need one hand.

It was a pretty crap game too likes, but I guess that's not the point at this stage of the VR cycle.

OVERALL:

It's impressive tech for sure, however I remain unconvinced that in its current iteration it's going to be a commercial hit. To me it's more like a fun fair than a telly at home, y'know, everyone likes to go to the fun fair once in a while but most of the time you just want to watch telly or read a book or play on a normal computer or mobile device or whatever.

The chap himself says an hour is generally about the limit for wanting to wear the headset, even from a basic comfort perspective (weight, heat, trapped by wires, and you don't just slip the headset on and off, it requires adjusting into place every time as it 'snaps back' when it's taken off), and that's before you get onto the issues of even the 'non woozy inducing' stuff starting to do woozy stuff after a while.

Graphics/framerate/immersion seemed fine to me, you don't have to look too closely to see the graininess, and I believe it uses some sort of 'cheaty 45FPS' to give a 90FPS impression or something, maybe that doesn't help with the nausea aspect - but the technical side of it all I had no complaints with at all.

Don't get me wrong here, it was great fun and I enjoyed having a play with it, and when we've got the board games night next month I'm sure we'll all be rotating out into VR world for a bit, but on the 'visit to the fun fair' basis rather than 'I must buy one of these for myself'.

We all agreed that the tech needs to go totally wireless, be a lot lighter, and generally just be a lot easier to use if it's going to get mainstream traction. Personally I think it's borderline even then but it'd definitely give it a fighting chance.

Excellent entertainment, would try again, but ain't buying one as it is now.

Here is my chum being all ZOMG AMAZEBALLS THE DEEP.

Attachment:
wowvr.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 22:03 
Decapodian

I reserved one at Argos then let that lapse, but spotted another available to reserve in a different branch so have that one available now. I'm still in two minds whether to buy it or not.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 23:18 

Reportedly the positional tracking of the PSVR is quite inferior to that of the Rift and Vive, no doubt due to the tracking technology being deployed - this would probably account for increased ease of "wooziness inducement."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 0:50 
UltraMod

Like I've mentioned before, I've used my Rift for 3+ hours in a sitting with no ill effects.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:19 
Unpossible!

The keyword in Hearthly's post was 'inversions'. That's the only thing that fucked me up on the roller coaster sim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:46 

DavPaz wrote:
The keyword in Hearthly's post was 'inversions'. That's the only thing that fucked me up on the roller coaster sim

Nah, I was talking about this bit (emphasis mine):
Hearthly wrote:
The chap himself says an hour is generally about the limit for wanting to wear the headset, even from a basic comfort perspective (weight, heat, trapped by wires, and you don't just slip the headset on and off, it requires adjusting into place every time as it 'snaps back' when it's taken off), and that's before you get onto the issues of even the 'non woozy inducing' stuff starting to do woozy stuff after a while.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:47 
Unpossible!

Then you're probably right. Any element of lag or drift is going to fuck up your lizard brain, after all

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 13:09 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

There's some sort of pop-up PS4 Technohat emporium in the Cabot Circus shopping centre in Bristol, with demo units, if anyone is nearby and fancies a try. It did appear to be jam packed with pesky teens this lunchtime, however.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 13:25 
Decapodian

You had to pre book that I believe.
Does anyone know how big the box is? I'm on my bike today and don't know if I can carry it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 13:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Does anyone know how big the box is?

https://imgur.com/gallery/UiWlo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 13:35 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Does anyone know how big the box is?

https://imgur.com/gallery/UiWlo

That's extremely specific and helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 13:37 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Yeah, seems like you do. :( The website is also really annoying so I'm not going to go through the registration process just to be told there's no free slots

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 13:47 
Unpossible!

Squirt wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Yeah, seems like you do. :( The website is also really annoying so I'm not going to go through the registration process just to be told there's no free slots

It's Sony. They want ya deets!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 13:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Or they could be assigning slots based on demographics.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 13:59 

They are all over the place here in Barcelona.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 20:17 
Decapodian

Techno hat acquired. Not going to try it yet though, as I've pulled a muscle in my back/neck, so putting something heavy on my head and moving it round a lot is a bad idea.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 20:17 
UltraMod

lasermink wrote:
They are all over the place here in Barcelona.

#notsohumblebrag

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 20:28 
INFINITE POWAH

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
putting something heavy on my head and moving it round a lot is a bad idea.
that's what she said etc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 14:41 
Ready for action

I'm tempted. I watched a video comparison of all the different headsets and it looks like PSVR is the one to go for if you want decent games and graphics without paying for an expensive gaming pc.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 17:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The Rift needs a less hardcore PC now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 19:28 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
The Rift needs a less hardcore PC now.

It's still not exactly softcore though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 19:55 

Is it grimcore? Let's ask MaliA.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:14 
Hello Hello Hello

FURTHER TECHNOHAT REPORTAGE.

Another couple of mates went round to Mr VR for a go on his PS4 technohat at the weekend, the tale was relayed to me this morning over coffee.

Chap one lasted about two minutes before feeling sick to the point that he put the controller down, slowly took the technohat off, and spent the rest of the session sat on the sofa, and was about 30 minutes before he felt himself again.

Chap two loved it to pieces and wants to buy one and didn't get any nausea at all, even with the Scavenger's Odyssey thing which made both me and Mr VR feel distinctly woozy.

My feeling on technohats is very much a try before you buy. I've not felt any particular urge to return to VR world after my jaunt last week, and we now have one chap who felt physically sick inside of a couple of minutes, but then again the people who like it really like it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:03 
Bad Girl

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... station-vr

GAME are charging £5 to £15 to demo the PSVR in store.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

What the fuck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:13 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I was in Game yesterday. They were demoing for free.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:14 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

And there was no need to book

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The fuck were you doing in Game?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:16 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:

Trying out the PSVR, do keep up

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:48 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:

Buying Mafia III. Online shopping doesn't sufficiently feed my need for immediate satisfaction.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Did you get me anything?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:50 
Gogmagog

Cornetto

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:17 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

MaliA wrote:
Cornetto

https://twitter.com/Loouuiissee/status/790290616336941056/video/1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 16:14 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Saturnalian wrote:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-24-game-charges-people-to-try-playstation-vr

GAME are charging £5 to £15 to demo the PSVR in store.

I'm surprised if Sony's lawyers didn't have something to say about this sharpish. This sounds like it would break all sorts of term and conditions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 17:37 

An employee from Game UK confirmed on Twitter that it was authorised by Sony, apparently.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 18:06 
Sleepyhead

GazChap wrote:
An employee from Game UK confirmed on Twitter that it was authorised by Sony, apparently.

I'm probably going to get a PSVR thing in March/April if available, based off the demo I had of Mr Dave's Vive. Smart move.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 18:07 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

GazChap wrote:

Game sort of says otherwise.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/10/24/game ... station-vr

Game wrote:
Our pay-to-play PlayStation VR experience is a GAME-led initiative. The cost to use the in-store PS4 pod is entirely refundable for customers that go on to buy either the headset or a PS4 console. The payment allows us to ensure that we have dedicated staff manning the PlayStation VR pods who have been fully trained to adhere to best practice demo guidelines.

The demos are intended to give our customers access to one of the most exciting new gaming technologies in 2016 and provide them with the opportunity to get a feel for VR before they commit to buy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 19:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

£16 off at Tesco right now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 19:51 
Decapodian

And in stock, too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 23:11 
Decapodian

So, I finally gave the headset a go tonight, and Wow! The sense of depth and immersion is really impressive, and while you can see the resolution is lower, that doesn't matter too much.

I've only tried a few games off the demo disk but I think I'm going to enjoy this.
Battlezone feels like I'm in Tron (which would be great for a VR game) though I'm not sure there's £40+ value in there.
The VR worlds games look interesting, and I'm definitely going to buy Wayward Sky.
I didn't get on well with the Driveclub demo though. One lap was enough to induce nausea so I'll I've that a miss.

Reply to topic  [ 924 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next