Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 778 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Netflix
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 23:17 
UltraMod

We can't stop watching the trailer for Safe - it's car crash television. Michael C Hall's British accent is just so so bad.

I don't want to actually watch the show, but we've started quoting the trailer to each other now. It's incredible.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 23:23 
Excellent Member

I don't know if this is the place to mention it, but: we recently shotgunned most of the first season of The Santa Clarita Diet and it's absolutely everything you all said it was. Well done, you lovely idiots.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 23:28 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lonewolves wrote:
We can't stop watching the trailer for Safe - it's car crash television. Michael C Hall's British accent is just so so bad.

I don't want to actually watch the show, but we've started quoting the trailer to each other now. It's incredible.

The acting is apparently atrocious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:07 
Hello Hello Hello

Lonewolves wrote:
I've finished the whole season now and it's definitely worth watching.

Yes, I thought THE RAIN's first season was pretty good. It's entirely derivative but nicely done, coherent, gives you characters you care about (giving each of the main characters a proper backstory was a lovely touch), who mainly do fairly logical things for believable reasons.

Definitely watch it in Danish with the subs.

Solid 750/1000 material I reckon, I watched the whole thing in about five evenings.

Also, Alba August is a very nice young lady.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:21 

Cras wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

There is some pretty dodgy acting going on, it felt a bit like some TV thing from the eighties in parts. But the plot made up for it, it was sufficiently decent that we at least bothered to stick with it. And I don't know about the bits in the trailer but I thought his accent was actually pretty good, at least I'm struggling to think of an example of an American actor (who wasn't raised in the UK or something) doing a better one. Anyway, all told it certainly wasn't anything like the worst shite we've seen on Netflix. 6/10.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:34 
Hello Hello Hello

My current Netflix watch is THE STAIRCASE, which is now up to Episode 13 and will presumably be finishing soon. It's a documentary mini series, a bit like Making A Murderer.

QUICK SYNOPSIS - Woman dead at bottom of stairs. Frantic 911 call by husband, he says she fell. Police arrive, they decide he killed her. INTRIGUE COMMENCES, and I mean LOTS OF INTRIGUE.

Really compulsive viewing, I only stop watching it of an evening because I need to go to bed for a 6:30am alarm.

Go into it with nothing more than that and watch it unfold in front of you.

Pretty hefty time commitment, but worth it IMO.

Will give it a mark out of 1000 when I've finished the series, which should be tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:02 

Same. Although I was left feeling unimpressed with Making A Murderer. I think that the filmmakers overstepped nearly as much as the police did in the case. It was as though they felt the need to present the defendant as innocent rather than just show that there was probably reasonable doubt, highlight malpractice in the justice system and demonstrate that it was an unsafe conviction. I wonder if this is the price that these filmmakers pay for such close access to the defense lawyers etc. and if that is the case then what am I even watching?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:45 
Prince of Fops

Almost finished Wild Wild Country. After the first episode I found it hard to imagine how they could stretch it to several episodes, but obviously I didn't know the story to come. All kinds of nuts.

And bonus minced beaver.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:46 
Hibernating Druid

markg wrote:
Cras wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

There is some pretty dodgy acting going on, it felt a bit like some TV thing from the eighties in parts. But the plot made up for it, it was sufficiently decent that we at least bothered to stick with it. And I don't know about the bits in the trailer but I thought his accent was actually pretty good, at least I'm struggling to think of an example of an American actor (who wasn't raised in the UK or something) doing a better one. Anyway, all told it certainly wasn't anything like the worst shite we've seen on Netflix. 6/10.

Yeah, I thought he did well with the accent. If it wasn't for the fact I'd watched Dexter I wonder if I'd notice at all.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:01 
UltraMod

It must be totally different in the full show because in the trailer it's the most stilted wrong accent I've ever heard.

"Jennay it's dahd. Where are you gohing." 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:09 
Hibernating Druid

Racist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lonewolves wrote:
It must be totally different in the full show because in the trailer it's the most stilted wrong accent I've ever heard.

That's clearly Arnie.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:05 
Hibernating Druid

*in Southernish*

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:41 
Sitting balls-back folder

Lonewolves wrote:

It's a fucking atrocious accent and an unwatchable show.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 14:26 
Soopah red DS

Hearthly wrote:
My current Netflix watch is THE STAIRCASE, which is now up to Episode 13 and will presumably be finishing soon. It's a documentary mini series, a bit like Making A Murderer.

QUICK SYNOPSIS - Woman dead at bottom of stairs. Frantic 911 call by husband, he says she fell. Police arrive, they decide he killed her. INTRIGUE COMMENCES, and I mean LOTS OF INTRIGUE.

Really compulsive viewing, I only stop watching it of an evening because I need to go to bed for a 6:30am alarm.

Go into it with nothing more than that and watch it unfold in front of you.

Pretty hefty time commitment, but worth it IMO.

Will give it a mark out of 1000 when I've finished the series, which should be tonight.

That sounds like the Radio 5 podcast (Beyond Reasonable Doubt), which wanted to be Serial so hard it hurt. I stuck with it, but the presenter was not good. Have they had an episode on Owl Theory?

Stick with the TV, anyway, unless you're desperate to hear more.

Edit: Oh yeah, now the search results come up - definitely the same one. They talked about the documentary quite often in the podcast.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:48 
Hello Hello Hello

Finished THE STAIRCASE last night, 13 episodes at 45-55 minutes is a large time investment but one I honestly think is worth it. If you've got Netflix, I would highly recommend you check it out.

905/1000

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
But no closure at the end, which is a shame, but those are the facts of the case and not the 'fault' of the film makers.

Did he do it? Honestly? I don't quite know, on balance I'd say no. What I do know is there was most certainly reasonable doubt and the shenanigans the forces of law and order got up to was shocking, And as Peterson's lawyer says, not that unusual.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 13:16 
Esoteric

Hearthly wrote:
Finished THE STAIRCASE last night, 13 episodes at 45-55 minutes is a large time investment but one I honestly think is worth it. If you've got Netflix, I would highly recommend you check it out.

905/1000

But no closure at the end, which is a shame, but those are the facts of the case and not the 'fault' of the film makers.

Did he do it? Honestly? I don't quite know, on balance I'd say no. What I do know is there was most certainly reasonable doubt and the shenanigans the forces of law and order got up to was shocking, And as Peterson's lawyer says, not that unusual.

Yeah I watched that through in a few sessions. Ace TV. That and Evil Genius are excellent.

I'd watched and read a lot about the Peterson case, but never in such detail. I'd also see plenty of stuff about Evil Genius, but never him actually exploding.

I don't think I am buying a TV license this year. All I am watching now is Master Chef, and it's cheaper to buy a second hand SD TV PVR and just set it to record at my bolt hole (mum's) and then just binge watch it there of a weekend. I really don't use my TV for anything else any more, especially since the BBC cancelled Robot Wars. Which I was absolutely furious about, given it is the best thing they had done in years.

I bought Netflix 4k quite a while ago so I could share it with my family, but it wasn't until I got the XB1X that I could actually watch it in 4k. I love Netflix, best thing to ever happen to TV.

Making a Murderer (not once but twice, I added that btw) is good too if you are in for the long haul.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 13:18 
Gogmagog

I named first born after one of the house robots.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 13:19 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:
I named first born after one of the house robots.

Cute little Sir Killalot :luv:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 13:21 
ugvm'er at heart...

Hearthly wrote:

905/1000

If you go and read up more about the case, there is no doubt in my mind that he did it. Lots of things that were talked about during the trial just weren't shown on the documentary, the most damning of which was a bloody footprint from his trainers on the back of her trousers, the unexplained bloodstains on the front door and the blood on the walls that was from "coughing" wasn't oxygenated and couldn't have come from the lungs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 14:00 
Comfortably Dumb

I watched Hannah Gadsby's Nanette on Netflix the other night. I went in knowing it was a stand-up thing and had received some rave reviews, but it's definitely a lot more than just a stand-up comedy routine. Might be a tough watch for some though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 14:27 
Esoteric

I tell you what I had trouble watching... Alison. Look it up, well worth a watch if you can handle it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 15:37 

Trooper wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

905/1000

If you go and read up more about the case, there is no doubt in my mind that he did it. Lots of things that were talked about during the trial just weren't shown on the documentary, the most damning of which was a bloody footprint from his trainers on the back of her trousers, the unexplained bloodstains on the front door and the blood on the walls that was from "coughing" wasn't oxygenated and couldn't have come from the lungs.

I'm going with the owl theory, either that or he did it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 15:39 

Long Shot is a good crime doco on Netflix. It's only one 40 min episode. Watch it without seeing the trailer first for maximum wtf-ness at the unexpected special guest star.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 15:43 

Drug Lords is pretty good too. If only to see how flattering the casting director on Narcos was.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 17:08 
Esoteric

markg wrote:
Drug Lords is pretty good too. If only to see how flattering the casting director on Narcos was.

I watched one series about Mexican cartels. Jesus, some of it was horrific. Some guy was decapitated then they burnt his body in his truck.

Which led onto watching numerous docus about Escobar and pals.

God I love Netflix.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:00 
Hello Hello Hello

Last night's film was 'CALIBRE' which is a new NETFLIX EXCLUSIVE.

Two old friends go on a hunting trip in a remote part of Scotland. A THING happens which causes them to have some friction with the locals. Then MORE THINGS happen but some of them are not what you would expect.

I liked this, you kind of think you know the genre, but this subverts it in some creative fashions.

Not made with a huge amount of money, but it's beautifully shot with a haunting soundtrack, and some really great performances from all the cast. The scenery is very nice too.

875/1000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 13:00 
Esoteric

I thought Wee Man was pretty good too. I think it was on Netflix..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 20:59 
Esoteric

https://www.netflix.com/title/80171561

OMG that is good. Was starting to run out of shit to watch and then that popped up. Thought "nah, not something I would get into" but man it's good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 21:02 
UltraMod

Luke Cage S2 even better than the first, imo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 21:06 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm 2/3rds through The Punisher, enjoying it, way better than iron fist or Defenders.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 21:40 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:
I'm 2/3rds through The Punisher, enjoying it, way better than iron fist or Defenders.

And just as I say that, we have a shitty flashback episode, I hate those.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 22:14 
Hello Hello Hello

This is a fantastic documentary, but also very upsetting.

People (and especially women) knowingly maimed, for profit.

Attachment:
bleedo.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 0:13 
ugvm'er at heart...

My Sunday afternoon/evening has been taken up with GLOW season 1, it's bloody great :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:22 
UltraMod

Trooper wrote:
My Sunday afternoon/evening has been taken up with GLOW season 1, it's bloody great :D

It is good. I'm only about four episodes in though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:32 
Esoteric

Started watching the thing about the L.A riots last night. Words can't convey how disturbing it is.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 15:43 
Hello Hello Hello

JohnCoffey wrote:
Started watching the thing about the L.A riots last night. Words can't convey how disturbing it is.

LA92?

I'm finding it genuinely difficult to watch works of fiction these days, there are just so many good documentaries to choose from, and I want to learn things.

I haven't seen LA92 but it looks like what you're referring to, I've added it to my Watch List.

(I would really recommend The Bleeding Edge JC, it's an upsetting watch but worthwhile IMO.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 17:27 
Esoteric

Hearthly wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

LA92?

I'm finding it genuinely difficult to watch works of fiction these days, there are just so many good documentaries to choose from, and I want to learn things.

I haven't seen LA92 but it looks like what you're referring to, I've added it to my Watch List.

(I would really recommend The Bleeding Edge JC, it's an upsetting watch but worthwhile IMO.)

Yeah that's the one.

I watch nothing but docus. I guess a big part of that is me being autistic. The only one of those "cool American fiction things" that I ever got into was The Walking Dead, and that was only because I used to watch it with my wife. Since she's gone? yeah, I don't watch any fiction at all. I much prefer to watch reality, and like you say learn things. The urge to learn in me has never died really.

I must say since I have gone on my quest to watch as many docus as I can I really don't like America much at all. I have watched several docus now about innocent people who have been thrown in prison, released 20 years after but only if they accept guilt so the state does not have to pay them anything. It's just mind boggling how bad it is out there, and really does remind me of all of my immigration bullshit (where no matter who makes a mistake, *cough cough them twice* it is still your fault). There just seems to be this upper echelon of severely narcissistic cunts running their country. Even if it weren't for the prison docus you then move onto Flint (IIRC it is just called that, Flint, but is about Flint in Michigan) where the U.S govt fed an entire town poisoned water because it was cheaper. Poor people, again, BTW.

Not heard of The Bleeding Edge, will have a look later. I warn you though, there is a high chance I've already watched it and just forgot the name though.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5903392/

I *think* that one is/was on there too, though it *may* have been Prime. Either way again it's just a disgusting, racist portrayal of America.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:04 
Hello Hello Hello

I did indeed watch LA92 last night and it's a superb documentary. It's absolutely unflinching and as such some of the material is rather difficult to watch.

I also learned quite a lot that I didn't know about the background to the riots, the policing style at the time and suchlike. So even though I knew about the Rodney King beating and the officers being acquitted, I didn't have the full story behind it all.

Obviously this isn't a feelgood piece of cinema, but it really gives a powerful sense of the anarchy and rage of the time.

RECOMMENDED/1000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:28 
Esoteric

Hearthly wrote:
I did indeed watch LA92 last night and it's a superb documentary. It's absolutely unflinching and as such some of the material is rather difficult to watch.

I also learned quite a lot that I didn't know about the background to the riots, the policing style at the time and suchlike. So even though I knew about the Rodney King beating and the officers being acquitted, I didn't have the full story behind it all.

Obviously this isn't a feelgood piece of cinema, but it really gives a powerful sense of the anarchy and rage of the time.

RECOMMENDED/1000

Yeah I think I was a little unsympathetic back when it happened, but watching it now? pretty disgusting. I don't think we had enough info back then tbh. I hadn't gotten to the actual riots though until I watched the second half last night. Wow. Really made me find a new level of hate for humanity (if that were even possible). Was almost in tears by the end I think I am glad it ended when it did.

I started watching "The Bleeding Edge" and got a way into it before my sleep meds started kicking in. It's very good, but I am incredibly squeamish around medical stuff so have to close my eyes a bit. Oddly I am not bothered about violence etc one bit but I guess growing up where I did I just got used to that. Ex always used to ask how I could watch films like Rise Of The Footsoldlier etc with so much ease.

One thing I know already though is I don't want a chrome cobalt hip pmsl. Screw that for a game of soldiers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:17 
Hibernating Druid

Better Call Saul - Season 4 is out!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Grrrrr.

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... =3&t=10350

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:29 
UltraMod

Zardoz wrote:
Better Call Saul - Season 4 is out!

Cool, thanks! Will get on it later.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 14:39 
ugvm'er at heart...

Stuff I watched on Netflix recently

Altered Carbon : Proper good that, really enjoyed it. Great world building, good acting, looked spiffy. Ortega had cracking norks. 780 bananas . (Incidentally, I wondered if the books was where Kov got his user name from, so googled it, and it led me to this page https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Kovacs , which I found amusing ;))

Black Mirror Season 4 : Some great episodes, I really liked the dating app one, and the star trek one. Not so keen on the archangel one, was a bit drawn out and predictable. Watched all 6 episodes in one sitting, so can't have been too bad. 812 bananas

Making A Murderer : Missed out on this when it was a "thing". As with Staircase, what is presented in the documentary is very one sided. I finished the show thinking he was stitched up, I read more about it afterwards and am certain he did it. His nephew less certain on how much he was involved and what actually happened in what sequence though. 692 bananas

Evil Genius : Crazy heist. Crazy people. Interesting story. 708 bananas

Final Space : Watched the first 4 episodes. s'alright. I struggle to get into animated series these days for some reason. Even Rick & Morty season 1 was a treck to get through for me. 512 bananas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 15:30 
Esoteric

The only thing that really concerned me over Making A Murderer was that he was clearly innocent of the original crime he went to prison for. He then gets released, and I would imagine receives a very fat cheque from the govt. Then shortly after he commits a murder that he is seemingly guilty of, and goes back to jail.

The thing is, having watched many things like this even when people are proven innocent they sometimes have to admit guilt. No doubt so that they don't get a payout. And this is what concerns me about Making A Murderer..

If he was fitted up? then they did a bloody good job of it. If not? then he is probably the dumbest person in history.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 15:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

He got $400k as a settlement, then spent all that on lawyers defending himself from the murder charge.
By all accounts he wasn't a very nice person before going to prison for the original crime (that he didn't do), and I suspect that spending 18 years in prison for a crime you didn't do, doesn't help make you a better person when you get released...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 15:37 
Esoteric

Trooper wrote:
He got $400k as a settlement, then spent all that on lawyers defending himself from the murder charge.
By all accounts he wasn't a very nice person before going to prison for the original crime (that he didn't do), and I suspect that spending 18 years in prison for a crime you didn't do, doesn't help make you a better person when you get released...

Oh yeah for sure man. I think once you experience certain very strong emotions that you are never the same.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 15:42 
Unpossible!

His expected payout was supposed to be in millions, but they settled for a smaller amount as they were desperate for funds after the murder arrest.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 15:48 
Esoteric

DavPaz wrote:
His expected payout was supposed to be in millions, but they settled for a smaller amount as they were desperate for funds after the murder arrest.

Oddly enough after watching MAM I was suggested quite a few docus about innocents going to jail in the USA. It usually resulted in them having to admit guilt (like The Staircase) so that they couldn't get bugger all from the govt.

Disgusting really. Ruin some one's life, make them spend time with animals in prison and they didn't do anything, then just screw them one more time when you let them out.

I know there is quite a high chance that he "did it" in The Staircase, but the fact is they just didn't have sufficient evidence to charge him and keep him in prison. At which point they offer him two choices. Get fucked or get totally fucked. Obviously he is going to choose to get fucked like.

Stopped watching that type of docu now, as well as the racist ones, as I found myself hating America more each time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 16:14 
ugvm'er at heart...

JohnCoffey wrote:
I know there is quite a high chance that he "did it" in The Staircase, but the fact is they just didn't have sufficient evidence to charge him and keep him in prison. At which point they offer him two choices. Get fucked or get totally fucked. Obviously he is going to choose to get fucked like.

There was enough evidence to charge him and keep him in prison though, so it's not like he was being held for no reason and had to admit guilt just to get out. IIRC he had to admit guilt to get his tag removed and stop being under house arrest.

Again, reading up more on the actual case, and what they left out of the documentary, he absolutely did it. No doubt in my mind ;)

I enjoy these types of show, but it does annoy me that even though I know how biased they are, they still get me on their side. It's only after it finishes and I go read more that I get the "FFS, they did it to me again" reaction.

Reply to topic  [ 778 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next