Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Pokemon Go
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 16:27 
Awesome
Yes

We went to a National Trust place last week, and I trained up a gym and put an extra space in it, but it killed all my good pokemon doing it and so I could only put a low powered pokemon in it.

It's still there a week later, earning me ten coins every day, yay!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 17:32 
Sleepyhead

Mr Russell wrote:
We went to a National Trust place last week, and I trained up a gym and put an extra space in it, but it killed all my good pokemon doing it and so I could only put a low powered pokemon in it.

It's still there a week later, earning me ten coins every day, yay!

The wife put her best Pokemon in a gym at a rural pub, and it took a month for her to get it back! :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 13:22 
UltraMod

Gen 2 Pokemon out today!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 14:38 
Sleepyhead

My daughter is very excited by this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 15:03 
UltraMod

I've got five new'uns already!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 15:19 
Paws for thought

Lonewolves wrote:
I've got five new'uns already!

Stop abducting children.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 16:24 
Hibernating Druid

I'm swamped on new Pokégoodness but I'm stuck in work and completely ball-less.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 16:56 
EvilTrousers

Zardoz wrote:
I'm swamped on new Pokégoodness but I'm stuck in work and completely ball-less.

50% of that statement is your default position.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 17:22 
Hibernating Druid

My default position is reverse cowgirl.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 15:27 
Excellent Member

For anyone who, like me, is still playing this even though you don't really know why; there's a new event going on:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/ ... sp?c=73387

Also, the currently pretty rare extra items needed to get some of the new evolutions are now given as a reward when you spin a pokestop at least once a day for a week.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 16:05 
Awesome
Yes

Bamba wrote:
Also, the currently pretty rare extra items needed to get some of the new evolutions are now given as a reward when you spin a pokestop at least once a day for a week.

Good, Mimi and I are on three or four successive 7 day streaks and have only managed to get one rare item each.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 17:10 
Excellent Member

Mr Russell wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Good, Mimi and I are on three or four successive 7 day streaks and have only managed to get one rare item each.

I got four of them from just spinning normal pokestops which was pretty lucky.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 17:22 
Hibernating Druid

I've had three so far, used one of them on my Slowpoke.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 16:27 
Hibernating Druid

YES MAGIKARPS. COME TO ME. NEARLY THERE!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:00 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

From the mobile thread I did not realize that anyone other than me was still playing this so if you are still doing stuff on a regular basis then worth posting your friend code and you can get some gifts and XP

(XP for reaching best friend is crazy - if your bothered about XP then try to co-ordinate it with a lucky egg)

And if you've not played in a lot time the game has changed a lot from its first release

Friend codes :

Zaphod79 - 672151128147
Mop - 821929908923

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:06 
UltraMod

Mine is 8219 2990 8923.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 19:08 
Awesome
Yes

Ooh, will add you both and see if you’re still playing
6654 2308 9841 is me.
3311 5668 8885 is Mimi.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 20:40 
8-Bit Champion

Got the requests - and have accepted - no gifts in my bag just now but will send some out tomorrow

Probably not that many players since its new but if you want to add me on the Harry Potter game as well my code is :

9918 8445 8679

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 23:18 
Awesome
Yes

We tried the Harry Potter one but I don’t think it clicked with us.

Rick is on it though, he was tweeting his friend code the other day.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:08 
8-Bit Champion

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier ... 415c233036

Quote:
Why You Should Be Playing 'Pokémon GO' Right Now, No Matter Who You Are

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Quote:
Do people still play that? It's a question I get a lot, particularly if I'm ranting about a Gible to some confused friends or for some reason telling the checkout person at the grocery store that there's a Raid Hour today, and they should really go, it's fun. That's because almost everyone knows about Pokémon GO, on some level: the thing basically took over the world in the summer of 2016 to the point where the presidential candidates had to make cringey jokes about it, but it seemed to disappear from the popular consciousness soon after that. The game had a ton of problems at launch, and we don't need to get back into that. Pokémon GO just had its best month since September of 2016. At this point, it doesn't look like that's going to slow down anytime soon. Yes, people still play Pokémon GO. You should too.

I hesitate to say that Pokémon GO is unrecognizable from its launch state because that's not really true. The core concept that lit the world on fire back in 2016 remains intact: there are Pokémon in the world, you can catch them. That's it. That's all you need to get started. What the game has now is an answer for what happens after that, and the answer is: a whole lot. We have a tracker that lets you see where nearby Pokémon are located so you can break off your path to go find them, we have a buddy system that lets you evolve that special creature you happened upon the other day and haven't seen since. We have a weather system that spawns water-types when it rains and fire-types when the sun is shining. We have an adventure sync system that counts your steps even when you're not playing, whether that's on a leisurely walk or on a treadmill at the gym. We have hundreds of new, weird creatures living in our world, ready to be discovered, ready to have Instagram-ready pictures to be taken with enhanced camera tools.

That's the game, and the game either interests you or it doesn't. But it's the social aspects that make this into something different, an experience worth it even if you don't know Pikachu from Politoed. We have Raids that let you meet up with friends and strangers to battle powerful Pokémon, we have a friend, trading and battling system that gives you something to do with the trainers you meet out on your travels. We have Community Days, Raid Days, Raid Hours and other special events, limited-time bonuses that push millions of people into the streets at the same time, creating a festival atmosphere where you can see that random group of people with power cords trailing from their phones down to a battery pack in their pocket and know that you're in it together, even if you don't even speak to them. There are not many experiences like this in the world, and they are valuable where they are found. They are found constantly in Pokémon GO.

I can't give you any demographic information about the people I see playing Pokémon GO in Philadelphia--admittedly, it's an exceptionally good city to play in. You need a smartphone, so that does nix a certain percentage of the population right there. But after that, it's everyone: professionals, kids, die-hard Pokémon fans and retirees. I see people that might need to scrimp to get some extra raid passes and others wearing shoes easily worth a thousand super incubators, high-powered lawyers that defer to an 18-year old kid because that kid is level 40. I see people that come stacked with a collection of 100 IV Shiny legendaries and others that are just happy to get a flower crown Eevee. I see whole communities of people, thousands strong, that want nothing more than for everyone else in the community have a good time and maybe pick up a Carnivine on their trip to Virginia because we don't have that up here. You're never alone when you travel with Pokémon GO: just find a Raid.

The other week, I was gearing up for my normal weekend routine: children's museums and parks, mostly, because that's what it is to have a toddler. Which is totally fine, and would have been great. Instead, I saw a news item that I had missed earlier: an ultra-rare Pokémon was going to be available in Washington D.C. for the Pokémon World Championships. The hell with it, we said: D.C. is just a two and half hour drive from Philadelphia, so we drove on down. We saw some friends I haven't seen in ages, we got ice cream and swam in a hotel pool, we saw some monuments and thousands of like-minded Pokémon trainers swarming the streets and bought a Flareon plush. And I caught Relicanth, though at that point it almost felt incidental. We had a blast.

This is what Pokémon GO is. It's a little push. A push to go somewhere you might not have otherwise, a push to walk instead of drive. A push to talk to someone that you might not have otherwise, a push to head out of the house at 6:00 PM on a Wednesday because you want a Shiny Rayquaza. You can do as much or as little with it as you want, but once you start playing it's always there, in your pocket, reminding you that there are small and large adventures to be had at every moment.

Technology gives us new lenses on the world, and in the age of social media it's easy to think that most of these lenses are sort of crap, new ways to see the worst of those around us. Pokémon GO shows us the best in the world and the people in it. You should play Pokémon GO if you're feeling bad; you should play Pokémon GO if you're feeling good; you should play Pokémon GO.

Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11