Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pokemon Go
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 15:04 
Hibernating Druid

Charge your phone!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 15:05 
Hello Hello Hello

Apparently the levelling curve past Level 20 gets pretty brutal, and ridiculous past 30 - certainly with the current structure of XP gains.

The best way to POWER LEVEL I've found is have as many eggs as possible close to hatching, and loads of pokemon ready to evolve. Pop a lucky egg and an incense, then go on a BRISK WALK, evolving and hatching like a motherfucker, whilst capturing pokemon and pokestopping as much as possible - all in the 30 minute window of the stacked egg and incense effects.

I put on two full levels doing this yesterday, and am nearly Level 18 now.

The limitations of the game are pretty clear, here on the IOM you really can't do better than just marching up and down Douglas prom for the sheer volume of pokemon, pokestops, and gyms. A mate went out on a proper hiking expedition over the weekend and unsurprisingly but quite disappointingly, despite covering many miles over all sorts of terrain, they didn't encounter a single pokestop or pokemon, no gyms to capture, nothing, so all they got was kilometres towards egg hatching.

I'm not bothering spending any candies or stardust on powering pokemon up at the moment, as it'd basically just be wasted as once I'd levelled up a couple of times, the pokemon I'm naturally catching are better than the stuff I've previously powered up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 15:06 
Awesome
Yes

The chap at work was telling me how he had a really powerful magicarp, collected the 400 candy, and then in his excitement evolved the one that only had 39CP.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 15:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That doesn't necessarily matter. The Gyrados he's ended up with will probably be able to be powered up more than it would have been able to be if he'd evolved the other one.

Tortured sentence much?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 15:43 

Why's that, then?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 16:13 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It just is. Compare something you've got two of, one high CP and one low CP. Then look at the white arc above their picture - that's how far along the upgrade path they are. I'll bet the higher CP is already quite a way along the arc compared to the low CP one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 16:25 

Cras wrote:
It just is. Compare something you've got two of, one high CP and one low CP. Then look at the white arc above their picture - that's how far along the upgrade path they are. I'll bet the higher CP is already quite a way along the arc compared to the low CP one.

Well... Yes... But doesn't that make sense?

I mean, if the max CP of a Jigglypuff is 1000, say, one with a CP of 100 would be 10% of the way sling whereas one with a CP of 500 would be 50%.

I do t know why it would be beneficial to evolve the 100CP though, as surely that's just mean it needed more stardust to power up after evolution?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 16:43 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Their attack/defense/hp stats aren't necessarily in line with their CP though. So if you had a 10CP one with great attack stats for its level, it'll probably be better when fully evolved than a 100CP one with average attack stats for its level.

And no, there's no way to really have much of a clue which is best other then spending hours building spreadsheets of what sort of numbers you get for each type of pokemon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 16:50 

Like this? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ME2Uk/copy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:31 

My little brothers and I have a group conversation that's been going on some time now. Recently it features Pokemon Go quite a lot. This made me smile this morning :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 17:47 
Sleepyhead

Egg hatching:

Do they sometimes hatch without telling you? Coz I just checked mine and I only have two incubating instead of three. Is there a way to tell? I can't see any new Pokemon, but it could just be yet another pidgey, or something.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 17:48 

Hmm, that's odd. I think ice always seen mind hatch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 17:57 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It would usually pop up and tell you, but I think there are edge cases where it won't - like you switching away from the app when it's about to do it, and stuff. I've missed out on two sets of level-up rewards because the game has been weird about actually telling me when I level up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 17:58 
ugvm'er at heart...

They sometimes do, it's a bug.
If you go check your pokemon, you should have it in there, it doesn't show in the journal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 18:03 

Cras wrote:
It would usually pop up and tell you, but I think there are edge cases where it won't - like you switching away from the app when it's about to do it, and stuff. I've missed out on two sets of level-up rewards because the game has been weird about actually telling me when I level up.

I've missed out on three level up rewards, too! Chesty things!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 18:17 
Paws for thought

Mimi wrote:
Cras wrote:

I've missed out on three level up rewards, too! Chesty things!

The game is a little buggy. Boobs!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 18:53 

Ooh, I have a question:

Question: Why do some Pokemon have a blue glow around them? Here one caterpie has a glow, but not the other.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 18:55 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

They're the ones you've caught most recently

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 18:57 

Ah, okie doke. Ok, yes, Internet suggests kast 24 hours. Cheers! Only just noticed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 22:30 
Sleepyhead

Worked out it must have been a Bulbasaur.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:51 
Hello Hello Hello

Pokevision, Pokehound and other similar services all now shut down, the sites are still there but they show as their services being unavailable. It looks like Niantic lawyered up rather than actually doing anything on their backends to stop them from working.

Still, no one would really mind as long as Niantic had fixed the three-steps bug which made it impossible to hunt Pokemon 'properly'.

Well, Niantic have indeed removed the three-steps bug from the game in a patch issued yesterday by..... REMOVING THE STEPS ICONS ALTOGETHER.

Yes, they're not even pretending that there's an official way to go Pokemon hunting now, you literally just have to wander around aimlessly and hope you bump into something good. (However, they have announced that the spawning behaviour of Pokemon has changed, which early reports are suggesting seems to manifest itself in interesting and rare Pokemon spawning more readily in locations where normally you just get shit Pidgeys and Caterpies and whatnot.)

Personally I'm not too fussed, I did use Pokevision once insofar as I verified that it worked correctly by collecting a few Pokemon nearby which were exactly where Pokevision said they would be (and they were all commons), but I can honestly say I didn't use it after that in any way whatsoever, and therefore didn't gain any advantage from it.

Oh yes, turning AR off seems to be an increasingly popular choice because it means the Pokemon are always centre screen in whatever direction you're facing when capturing, rather than having to 'track' them up and down and left and right like you do in AR mode.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 15:34 

One of the new updates has good intentions behind it, as you Dan now Mark 'favourite' Pokemon that stops you accidentally transferring them to the professor. This is good as I have accidentally transferred my best of a Pokemon type a couple of times, when trying to mass evolve during lucky egg phase.

But, seriously, what bum nugget put the button to add favourite RIGHT NEXT TO THE TRANSFER BUTTON?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 15:58 
Hello Hello Hello

You still get the ARE YOU SURE? prompt when you hit transfer so you'd have to double idiot-out to candify a Pokemon you want to keep. I much prefer having the transfer option closer to hand like that, rather than having to scroll down for every single Pokemon when there are three million bastard Pidgeys to get rid of.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 15:59 
UltraMod

You still need to confirm it, so just don't balls up twice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 16:13 
ugvm'er at heart...

There is one thing i'm not to sure about now though.

Do you love the feet?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 16:29 

Lonewolves wrote:
You still need to confirm it, so just don't balls up twice.

Pfft, who reads stuff?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 16:30 

Trooper wrote:
There is one thing i'm not to sure about now though.

Do you love the feet?

Everyone loves the feet, Trooper.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 15:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Quite amusing walking up the prom at lunch with my Pokechum. He was there with his three million pound iPhone 6 mega-plus S-amazeballs wank-phablet, and yet due to the rain was constantly hiding under things to interact with the game thanks to his inferior device's non-waterproof nature.

And yet there I was, with my plucky cheap and cheerful* Android device, standing out in the driving rain without a care in the world, snagging Pokemon with gay abandon, as he ran to the sanctuary of yet another bus shelter, or shop frontage, to frantically scrabble at the screen of his fragile device.

He's a fucker though, as on the drive down he gets to snaffle everything along the way, which I can't do, because I'm driving.

I have a lucky egg and an incense ready to pop for the walk back down, along with fucktons of evolutions to do. The XP bonanza should see me comfortably up to Level 20.

* Yes I know the S7 costs as much as an iPhone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 15:23 
Hibernating Druid

Hearthly wrote:
He's a fucker though, as on the drive down he gets to snaffle everything along the way, which I can't do, because I'm driving.

Bwaaaark! Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 15:43 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Hearthly wrote:
Quite amusing walking up the prom at lunch with my Pokechum. He was there with his three million pound iPhone 6 mega-plus S-amazeballs wank-phablet,

you really are a tool :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 15:49 
Hibernating Druid

Hearthly wrote:
plucky

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 20:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Blimey that worked well, the incense was largely surplus to requirements as I spent most of the 30 minutes of the lucky egg evolving like a motherfucker, so catching Pokemon as well was a risky use of time. (The evolve animation is quite long and unskippable.)

Went from about 1000XP into Level 19 to 31000XP into Level 20, for a total XP gain of around 55000. (I think it's 25000 from 19 to 20.)

Nothing fancy, just LOTS of Pidgeys, Weebles and Caterpies to evolve which I've been stacking for a while, and also the first time I've managed to evolve some of the slightly rarer ones like Magmetites and Drowsees (50 candy required for each IIRC, and you don't get an awful lot of them), so they were giving me the doubled evolve XP and also doubled 'new Pokemon captured' XP. Also had a handful of Zubats and Spearows and suchlike to evolve.

It'll be a few days until I can do another big XP push, but the rewards for Level 20 are quite generous, including two lucky eggs and two incubators, so I can start to get things stacked again for the next lucky egg. (I've got loads of shit 2km eggs at the moment though.)

I'm still not sure that there's any real point to this game, but since I walk about five miles every day anyway, it's no big deal to chuck Pokemon Go into the mix.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 20:39 
Sleepyhead

There's no point to most games, tbf.

Different locales having different common Pokemon is a bit funny. All I get at home and in The City are Pidgey, Spearow and Rattata, with the odd Drowzee. In Brighton there were magnet things everywhere, and I got like 100 magnet candy in a couple of days.

I still don't get battles, really. I took one slow and dodged as much as possible, but even when it said I dodged the attack, I still took just as much damage as from a normal attack. I think that is as buggy as the rest of it!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 20:57 
Sleepyhead

Brighton is also full of Voltorbs. Evolved a few of those while I was there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 20:57 
Sleepyhead

Curiosity wrote:
Brighton is also full of Voltorbs. Evolved a few of those while I was there.

Title.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:52 
Hello Hello Hello

If it weren't for the fact I've got a tappable Pokestop from where my phone sits on its wireless charger * all day, I'd probably have binned this off by now. (They can be tapped every five minutes.)

As it is because I always have a decent inventory of Pokeballs, the various detrimental changes that Niantic have made to the game recently (not least the much increased escape rates of even shit Pokemon) haven't resulted in me running out of anything, from Pokeballs through to Great Balls and Ultraballs, and also Razzberries.

If the game had left me at the point I was needing to spend real money for the basic tools to catch Pokemon with, I suspect we'd have parted company.

* Wireless charging may not be available on all smartphones, even 'premium' ones.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:01 
Sleepyhead

I've not run out of anything yet (I have about 70 raspberries and must have binned 50 of them), though I'm low on regular pokeballs. I do have about 70 blue balls though.

The increased escape rates are weird. Some go in easy as pie, but I had a freaking Rattata take TEN captures to stay in the damn ball this morning.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:18 
Hibernating Druid

Yeah I noticed the escape rates have shot up.

I stock up on balls when I'm out and about at lunchtime, my regular walk is littered with stops. Then I use them all up sat at my desk at work :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:20 

Curiosity wrote:
I do have about 70 blue balls though.

Title.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 13:00 

Are the escape rates not just due to the levelling up rather than a change in game?

The only change that has bothered me thus far is that they've ditched power-saving mode, but I had a quick Google and they are bringing it back.

I'm only on level 16, so maybe you've hit a more frustrating part of the game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 13:20 
Hello Hello Hello

It's across all levels and Niantic have acknowledged it now I believe, there are articles up about it at places such as Eurogamer and Kotaku. They also removed the XP bonus for nice/great throws and a few other nasty little tweaks, such as Pokemon attacking more often (which means the ball misses) and smaller secondary targeting circles. (Last I heard Niantic said these were 'issues' suggesting that they weren't intentional, which I find rather hard to believe.)

Mrs Hearthly only dinged Level 10 yesterday and she's been having all manner of crap Pokemon bursting out of their balls repeatedly, and then often escaping completely - in a way they weren't previously.

I'm at the point now where unless it's something I really don't want to get away, I just chuck regular non-razzberried Pokeballs at it until the capture happens, and save Great Balls/Ultra Balls for higher value quarry. (I've just dinged Level 21, for reference.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 13:59 
Hello Hello Hello

Oh and just for reference from the last few levels as best I can remember:

18 > 19 = 20K XP
19 > 20 = 25K
20 > 21 = 50K
21 > 22 = 75K

So it's really started ramping it up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 14:00 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've just ordered Pokemon moon. The first Pokemon game I've ever ordered before the release date.... Damn you Pokemon! Look what you're doing to us?!?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 14:37 
Hello Hello Hello

Blimey that 75K XP to Level 22 is a bit of a grind, and if anything XP is harder to come by now as there are less and less new Pokemon to add to my collection, and they represent a substantial XP boost when collected with a lucky egg on the go.

Did a mega lucky egg evolve-o-thon and hatch-o-thon at lunch and managed to get to 55K out of 75K XP, but it'll be a fair few days before I can have another XP push.

Looks like the XP requirement goes up 25K per level for the next few levels, it's going to get pretty brutal.

Also, game update today has brought back some vague semblance of tracking with a new 'sightings' feature which apparently should show which pokestop particular Pokemon were last seen closest to, but it didn't seem to be working for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:43 

The new update has Pokemon 'sightings' (unless you are one of the new subset of selected users with the new system...) I'm not sure at all his the sightings feature is any different from the previous idea, though?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:45 

Sorry Hearthky, had obviously missed your post earlier. How does the sightings feature show ehuchbpokestop the pikemen were last sighted near? It's just a list of pictures on mine, and I can't seem to interact with them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Mimi wrote:
Sorry Hearthky, had obviously missed your post earlier. How does the sightings feature show ehuchbpokestop the pikemen were last sighted near? It's just a list of pictures on mine, and I can't seem to interact with them.

It's not live for everyone yet, they've put the sightings icons in as sort of placeholders for now, only a subset of the user community has the feature running live.

There have been quite a few postings about in the Pokemon Go Isle of Man Facebook group, it looks like it should be pretty good.

By all accounts you get the Pokemon image and a picture of the Pokestop it was last seen closest to.

Attachment:
Screenshot 2016-08-10 at 09.07.08.png

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:12 
EvilTrousers

Mimi wrote:
ehuchbpokestop the pikemen

One of the most feared Klingon infantry units.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:19 
Hello Hello Hello

Mimi's random autocorrects and phone-barbles are absolutely the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:47 
Hibernating Druid

Level 20! Nice haul of goodies!

Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next