Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next

How do you feel about Britain leaving the EU?
1) I want the UK out of the EU at all costs. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2) I want out of the EU, unless there is some show stopper that means we should stay in. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3) I want out of the EU, but could easily be persuaded to stay in. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
4) Not sure if we should stay in or out. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
5) I want to stay in the EU, but could easily be persuaded to leave. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
6) I want to stay in the EU, unless there is a showstopper that means we should leave. 59%  59%  [ 22 ]
7) I want the UK to stay in the EU at all costs. 27%  27%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 37
 Post subject: Re: EU in or out?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 17:45 

Curiosity wrote:
Yup. Today I'm all about idealism. Tomorrow, maybe not.

Well, there's a first time for everything, I guess. :D

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
joke obv :kiss: Yes, the world needs both types, I'm just a gnarled, cynical old twatto. :)

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 17:57 
Sleepyhead

I have to be uber-pragmatic at work, so I need to be an idealist outside or I'd just die of despair.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 18:04 
Gogmagog

Curiosity wrote:
I have to be uber-pragmatic at work, so I need to be an idealist outside or I'd just die of despair.

Or dat pear. I poisoned two of the lot you bought.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 19:11 
Sleepyhead

MaliA wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

That's bad, even for you!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 20:05 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:
I'm amazed that we're all here discussing how Izzard looked and not what he said, and yet some people are saying it didn't matter how he looked.

He totally should be able to wear what he likes, but it's certainly going to affect what people think about him. We're proving that right now.

I don think anyone said it didn't matter what he wore. That's why I agreed with Cavey that it did, but I think it mattered far more the more close-minded that you are.

What has surprised me is that people are surprised at it. Izzard has worn make up and elements of women's clothing ranges for years and years. How is this news? Why are people suddenly shocked by it?

I wasn't shocked at all, he just annoyed me.

Firstly I'm not a fan of him at all, don't hate him or anything just don't find him funny. I have tried, download a load of his stand up and tried to get into into it once.

Then he for a so called wordsmith or wit he was shit. Farage the one trick pony was all over him, mostly as he was so bad.

Then the state of him, I guess my description upset some people, I thought it was pretty mild for me :)

He just looked like a half finished panto dame, I appreciate a good lady boy as much as the next man, they always dress well, better than a lot of women I know, so he should have made more effort if thats his thing. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 20:14 

So it's not his way of life that bothers you, more that he's not attractive enough for you in women's clothing items (a hat... I think he was wearing a plain cut t-shirt and men's suit jacket) but you'd be more accepting/interested if you found him a more attractive transvestite (politics/celebrity/wit aside... Of course it's absolutely fine not to like him as a celebrity, personality or social commentator, that's a given)?

That's cool, I'm not judging that, I just wondered. It might be hypocritical of many to judge too much on that due to the amount of 'would' posts and judging people's worth on the value of their looks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 20:28 

asfish wrote:
Then the state of him, I guess my description upset some people, I thought it was pretty mild for me :)

In general, I believe referring to any group of people by a pejorative that could feasibly be shouted at them as they are beaten up by a gang of thugs in a dark alleyway is not a good look. This is "mild", you say. So what other slurs do you use freely when you're actually mad, then? Fag? Paki? Nigger?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 20:50 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

That's bad, even for you!

I didn't even want to go near that one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 21:03 
Hello Hello Hello

I agree with Cavey on this one, I'm sure we've all got our preferred manner of dressing, whether we're transvestites or anything else.

The point is that sometimes you just have to dress to the occasion, whether you like it or not, and Izzard chose not to, and in doing so he damaged his case.

It's so blatantly obvious I'm surprised there's a debate about it, even by BEEX's famously right-on standards. (Which on the whole I tend to align with.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 21:08 

To be honest, in that particular screencap at least he looks like a kooky old lady.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 22:59 

The Sun is backing Leave:
https://twitter.com/vote_leave/status/7 ... 6988257280

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 23:13 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
The Sun is backing Leave:
https://twitter.com/vote_leave/status/7 ... 6988257280

Umm, looking at its front pages for the last few months surely it's been backing Leave for ages?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 23:20 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Not like that.

The Sun often intimates a view, possibly strongly, but only expresses it formally when they've decided that they know they're backing the winner.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 23:30 
UltraMod

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Not like that.

The Sun often intimates a view, possibly strongly, but only expresses it formally when they've decided that they know they're backing the winner.

Well yeah. But is anyone surprised?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 23:38 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

That theyve called the winner a week early? Depressing more like.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 0:06 
UltraMod

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
That theyve called the winner a week early? Depressing more like.

I'm sure it won't affect your job one bit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:08 
Sleepyhead

That pretty much seals the win for OUT.

Oh well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:57 
Hello Hello Hello

Activate MAXIMUM PINK BERET defences.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:01 

I STILL say Remain will win the day, notwithstanding their really shit campaign (and Izzard's, ahem, dress sense). We'll see; the influence of print media isn't what it was.

All we need now is for Taylor Swift to come out for Remain on her Twitter feed, and we're home and dry ;)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:07 

Hearthly wrote:
Activate MAXIMUM PINK BERET defences.

:D

/ICBMs emerge from their silos

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:19 
Hello Hello Hello

I guess this is the danger when you abrogate responsibility for massively important decisions to the general public.

It'd be interesting if:

1) The REMAIN camp's doomsday warnings turn out to be true

and

2) BREXIT wins

Then it will have been on a Conservative government's watch that the biggest economic calamity in living memory befell the UK, making all that winter of discontent stuff look like a gentle stroll in the park by comparison.

I've forgotten how we even ended up with this referendum in the first place, was it Cameron promising it to shut up the Eurosceptics in his own party leading up to the election, or something?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:23 

Hearthly wrote:
I guess this is the danger when you abrogate responsibility for massively important decisions to the general public.

Or, perhaps, if politicians go too far away from the mass of the people. Perhaps if we had had a vote on the Lisbon Treaty, or on Maastricht, or if our leaders had been more open and willing to engage in the EU rather than see it as a thing to get 'victories over red lines' from we wouldn't be here now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:24 

Hearthly wrote:
I've forgotten how we even ended up with this referendum in the first place, was it Cameron promising it to shut up the Eurosceptics in his own party leading up to the election, or something?

Helped to fend off the UKIP vote.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:36 

To elaborate on our historic lack of engagement, here's one example:

As the Lisbon Treaty said that the President of the EU Commission (the executive body of the Union) should be appointed after taking into account the outcome of the European Parliament elections, the leaders of the Euro-parties (the coalitions of national parties) all agreed to nominate a candidate each and push the Council to choose the one that came from the largest party. There were TV debates between the various nominees, and as a result Mr Junker considers himself elected by the people of the EU. None of this was picked up the British media and I doubt people voting Labour did so because they wanted Martin Schulz. The Tories aren't in the EPP and their group stayed out of this.

Whether this is a good development or not is for you to decide.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:49 

It's entirely down to Tory infighting that we're in this mess. UKIP are just some Tories.

But it's alright because when we do end up leaving the EU it'll all be Eddie Izzard's fucking fault.

Christ we won't even be able to easily flee this right wing shithole of a country.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:50 

markg wrote:
Christ we won't even be able to easily flee this right wing shithole of a country.

Not once we've rebuilt Hadrian's Wall (and got the Scots to pay for it).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:51 

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/el ... pean-union

Quote:
Within the Labour party, the mood is bleak. “We are sleepwalking to losing the damn thing,” lamented one senior source. One frontbencher returned from canvassing and announced to his office: “It’s just like the general election. The polls say it’ll be fine but every doorstep someone tells you to f*** off.”

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:56 

I'm looking forward to Merkel, Junker, and Hollande swimming across the Channel in the last week with a VOW OF CHANGE.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:04 

If only Eddie Izzard had plumbed for a more demure beret colour, huh. :(

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:08 

Hearthly wrote:
the biggest economic calamity in living memory befell the UK, making all that winter of discontent stuff look like a gentle stroll in the park by comparison

That square's already taken old chap; even Brexit is nowt compared to "the banking crisis".

But yeah, democracy and handing over the reigns of power to the people come at a heavy price? Time and again, you'll not get the vote or outcome you want, but worth it nonetheless IMO. If Brexit's what the people want than that is what we shall have. Remain's campaign has been SHIT

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:09 

Cavey wrote:

If only David Cameron hadn't promised a referendum and then failed to run a strong campaign for the outcome he wants.

At least if we leave and it's a disaster we can take some cold comfort in the fact it'll be forever Cameron's legacy, like Tony "Illegal War" Blair.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:11 
Excellent Member

Reckon an exit is on the cards. People’s beliefs are too fixated on immigration and the Daily Mail headlines of EU interference on shite like hoovers.

Scary thing is that most people in this camp are not bigots or racists, they just pick up on the negative headlines and feel that they get little from the EU.

Remain has just rolled out ex PM’s who between them will have pissed off a lot of voters with their time in power regardless of their political beliefs so don’t really get the benefits of this across well.

I'm going to vote to stay in, not that I’m a huge fan of the EU, but we are in and the 2-3 years of untangling us from them and the negotiations for all the things we will want will cause chaos and probably cost more money when the dust has settled.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:17 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cavey wrote:

If only David Cameron hadn't promised a referendum and then failed to run a strong campaign for the outcome he wants.

At least if we leave and it's a disaster we can take some cold comfort in the fact it'll be forever Cameron's legacy, like Tony "Illegal War" Blair.

You're right, yes. Politicians make terrible mistakes though even in hindsight, difficult to see how Cameron could've avoided offering a referendum to halt the UKIP tide. Perhaps the EU themselves should've offered him more concessions.

Whatever happens, though, I doubt Brexit will cost the lives of half a million civilians or 350 billions in QE, another half trillion to the national debt and a decade of austerity, so that's something, right?

Let's hold off the post morgen until we lose, yeah? Hold your nerve.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:26 
Rude Belittler

Post-morgen? You are the Swedish Chef and I claim my five pounds.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:27 

:D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:29 

asfish wrote:
Scary thing is that most people in this camp are not bigots or racists, they just pick up on the negative headlines and feel that they get little from the EU.

Shouldn't people feel some connection with those who govern them, and with the wider electorate who select them?
We tend to see EU law as something that's done to us, not as something we are a part of. Sure, the media might have a lot to blame but the complexity and opacity of EU decision-making also play a part in this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:34 

No I think the media is almost entirely to blame. People had absolutely zero interest in any of it and only started moaning that they felt "disenfranchised" when their right wing tabloids told them to. Idiots.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:35 
Excellent Member

Kern wrote:
asfish wrote:

Shouldn't people feel some connection with those who govern them, and with the wider electorate who select them?
We tend to see EU law as something that's done to us, not as something we are a part of. Sure, the media might have a lot to blame but the complexity and opacity of EU decision-making also play a part in this.

Of course, but many people outside of London feel that UK government does little for them, so see the EU as a even more distant organisation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:35 
Soopah red DS

Kern wrote:

Surely you could change that to "see law as something that's done to us". With a referendum focusing on the EU, so people look at the EU in isolation, forgetting their disconnection from most/all politics.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:38 

asfish wrote:
Of course, but many people outside of London feel that UK government does little for them, so see the EU as a even more distant organisation.

Yep. Home Rule all round!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:39 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
No I think the media is almost entirely to blame. People had absolutely zero interest in any of it and only started moaning that they felt "disenfranchised" when their right wing tabloids told them to. Idiots.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexi ... 189e25e615

Not everything is right wing shite!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:40 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:

Should we stop C2DE income groups voting to prevent this?

JBR wrote:
Surely you could change that to "see law as something that's done to us". With a referendum focusing on the EU, so people look at the EU in isolation, forgetting their disconnection from most/all politics.

Oh, I agree. But I think most people have rough idea who the Prime Minister is, what the Commons is, and the relationship between the election and the direction of the country.

markg wrote:

Do you know what powers are delegated to the Union, and which ones are reserved to the member countries? Who the five presidents are, who elects/nominates them, and the extent of their power?

Do you pay attention to debates in the European Parliament, and monitor outpourings from the Commission? Do you know who to contact/kick for redress of grievance? Have you even read the treaties?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:41 

MaliA wrote:
markg wrote:

Should we stop C2DE income groups voting to prevent this?

Spellcasting B-R-E-C-H-T:
Quote:
After the uprising of the 17th of June
The Secretary of the Writers' Union
Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee
Stating that the people
Had forfeited the confidence of the government
And could win it back only
By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

markg wrote:

I completely agree, but think it's an issue on both sides, not just a right-wing problem. Referendums for issues this incredibly complex really are stupid. There is no way whatsoever that a majority of the voting public could ever have any idea what the implications of either in or out are, for our social and economic future. The people who actually understand macroeconomics have no idea what will happen if we leave. This is just not a question that anyone should have allowed to be thrown to the general public.

When you have a majority of the population uninformed about the issue (not a pejorative, I certainly don't think I understand it enough to have a valid opinion!) they turn to sources that they trust to inform them. The main problem we have is that those sources are people's existing political loyalties and their existing media preferences. And unfortunately, as the AV vote, Indy vote, and EU vote are ably demonstrating, all of those trusted sources are quite happy to lie through their teeth, and the general public do not have the capability to critically assess and discard those lies.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:50 

Kern wrote:
markg wrote:

Do you know what powers are delegated to the Union, and which ones are reserved to the member countries? Who the five presidents are, who elects/nominates them, and the extent of their power?

Do you pay attention to debates in the European Parliament, and monitor outpourings from the Commission? Do you know who to contact/kick for redress of grievance? Have you even read the treaties?

No, because I have been perfectly happy for our elected representatives to look after all this shit on our behalf. Nearly all of whom maintain that leaving would be a very bad idea. I'd sooner not be having to vote on this at all but as it is I'll go with their opinion. By and large it's the leave voters who have insisted on talking to me that seem to profess some sudden knowledge of the workings and shortcomings of the EU.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:53 

I always find it fascinating to note how terrified the Left is of giving the people an actual, real say about stuff, as opposed to leaving such things to technocrats, men in grey suits (more pink berets needed? :D ). The Right just doesn't have this problem.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:53 
Isn't that lovely?

Kern wrote:
markg wrote:

Do you know who your local Councillor is?
Do you know what responsibilities your county council has over the district council or the town council?

You quite possibly do, but I bet that most of the people who are complaining that they don't know anything about the way the EU works, also don't know too much about how their local authorities work either. They may know who their local MP is (although I'd bet quite a lot don't know this either) and maybe a couple of high profile Cabinet Members, but I think the vast majority don't know much more than that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:59 
UltraMod

Cavey wrote:

What, like green? You warmongerer.

Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next