Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch (formerly "NX")
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:17 

Sir Taxalot wrote:
It might be a little bit old now, but I hadn't read this thread for a while - that's interesting reading and I didn't really think about it in much detail before (and of course, I'm no developer or anywhere even close). Thanks for sharing that, I learned some things from reading it and a few of the comments before my poor little mind got a bit too lost in the detail.

Oh, me too. Some of the basic principles I'm familiar with (state management is crucial in the sort of distributed processing systems I do a lot of for my day job.) But I hadn't ever thought about applying those principles to games in any detail. Some of the stuff, like how checkpoints are flexible so the game engine tries to never save a checkpoint in an unwinnable state, is really interesting. Also I'd seen games where the "save my game" menu option would be greyed out - for example, I think in the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games, you can save if you character is in mid-air. But I'd never really pondered why that is.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:16 
ugvm'er at heart...

In better news today, I got a Switch Lite as an early xmas present yesterday! I have mario kart and breath of the wild coming in the post today, and i'll probably get the goose game.

Commutes are looking up :)

In other news, how come Nintendo are still riduculously shit at anything online? Need a Nintendo account to even look at the eshop, but you can't setup an account from the Switch directly? Jesus Nintendo.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 16:33 

I got this for Christmas and I love it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 23:53 
Thanks

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
The loss of old-fashioned save/load functionality (FOR ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD REASON) is one of the most teeth-grindingly annoying things about modern games IMO
In general, when making sweeping statements about how other people are wrong, it’s good form to acknowledge that maybe things are more complex than they appear to you.

For example, consider this:

Sorry I didn't see this reply at the time, hence the delayed response.

That Twitter thread seems entirely reasonable, but doesn't explain games that do have 'save anywhere' functionality, or indeed quicksave/quickload from a single key on PC.

Thinking of games I've played recently that managed to offer 'save anywhere'.

Death Stranding (PS4)
The Outer Worlds (PC)
Dishonored 2 (And Dishonored) (PC)
Zelda Link's Awakening (Switch)

So it's clearly possible across a range of genres and platforms.

From the responses to the Twitter thread it looks like it's something that needs to be thought about ahead of time, and where this is done it's achievable.

Reply to topic  [ 1404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29