Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: DLC and microtransactions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:20 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66492
Location: Your Mum
Grim...-o-note: This has been split from the Wonga Watch thread. Read on for thrilling talk about DLC, microtransactions and meta conversation!


Festive Warrior wrote:
iRacing (PC):
NASCAR Camping World Toyota Tundra
NASCAR Camping World Chevrolet Silverado
Chicagoland Speedway
Las Vegas Motor Speedway
Iowa Speedway
Talladega Superspeedway <42.62>

Micro-transactions are The Worst Thing, but they're not micro if they're £8 each so everything is fine here!

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:55 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10271
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
Festive Warrior wrote:
iRacing (PC):
NASCAR Camping World Toyota Tundra
NASCAR Camping World Chevrolet Silverado
Chicagoland Speedway
Las Vegas Motor Speedway
Iowa Speedway
Talladega Superspeedway <42.62>

Micro-transactions are The Worst Thing, but they're not micro if they're £8 each so everything is fine here!


I'd draw a line between nickle-and-diming-you-to-death actual genuine microtransactions vs genuine DLC as it should be done (i.e. some amount of money for quality extra added game content).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:00 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66492
Location: Your Mum
Remember when everyone hated DLC?

I wonder what's coming next make make us think micro-transactions are the way things should be.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:02 
User avatar
Paws for thought

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 16426
Location: Just Outside That London, England, Europe
This is pretty much the way decent simulators have worked since before the term Mictotransaction was coined.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:13 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10271
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
Remember when everyone hated DLC?


No. Everyone always hated shite DLC (i.e. fucking horse armour and the like) but when did anyone ever hate good DLC (e.g. Fallout expansion packs)?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:16 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66492
Location: Your Mum
Bamba wrote:
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
Remember when everyone hated DLC?

No. Everyone always hated shite DLC (i.e. fucking horse armour and the like) but when did anyone ever hate good DLC (e.g. Fallout expansion packs)?

But it's okay to hate all MT just because?

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:17 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10271
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
Remember when everyone hated DLC?

No. Everyone always hated shite DLC (i.e. fucking horse armour and the like) but when did anyone ever hate good DLC (e.g. Fallout expansion packs)?

But it's okay to hate all MT just because?


Is it? Who actually said that?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:19 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10271
I mean yeah, I think it is okay (depending on what your definition of micro transaction actually is) but I'm curious to see what you're actually arguing about here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:19 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66492
Location: Your Mum
Bamba wrote:
Who actually said that?

Myp, the person I was talking to / about.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:21 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10271
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Who actually said that?

Myp, the person I was talking to / about.


Well why were you asking me why it was okay then?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:23 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66492
Location: Your Mum
Because we were talking about it?

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:23 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34867
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
Because we were talking about it?

Your edit robbed me of a Mum joke, you bastard.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:25 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66492
Location: Your Mum
DavPaz wrote:
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
Because we were talking about it?

Your edit robbed me of a Mum joke, you bastard.

Your mum had a bastard.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:25 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10271
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
Because we were talking about it?


We were talking about DLC, micro-transations and (my perceived) differences between the two; I didn't step up and say, "I'm claiming all of myp's opinions as my own, please question me accordingly."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:26 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66492
Location: Your Mum
Who remembers when we used to be able to have a conversation without having each syllable we scribbled down micro-analysed?

Good times.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:28 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10271
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
Who remembers when we used to be able to have a conversation without having each syllable we scribbled down micro-analysed?

Good times.


Who remembers when we used to be able to have a conversation without having other people's opinions assigned to participants just because they made a comment?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:42 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66492
Location: Your Mum
I was writing a long old post but gave up because I know it's ultimately pointless and it wasn't making much sense anyway.

I'm sorry for making assumptions on your opinion based on the conversation, Bamba (even if they turned out to be right, because I didn't know that at the time). Let's just carry on, shall we?

So. How come you don't think there's good MT? Something like when I bought a cool new type of weapon in some tower defence game I had, which I didn't need to win the game, but happily paid 69p for because it looked cool (and I liked the game anyway, which was free)? Or when I bought a new map in Bloons (I apparently have a thing for MT in tower defence games, so I'm going to think of another in a bit).

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:46 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66492
Location: Your Mum
Ah! I bought a car in some mini racing thing I have because it looked a bit like my Tomcat, and I was fucked if I was going to pay 50,000 coins for it (I needed those coins to get better tyres and stuff). I didn't think that was too hateful.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:52 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 52781
Location: Liberty City
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Who actually said that?

Myp, the person I was talking to / about.

You seem to have created a straw man argument here. I don't mind microtransactions for cosmetic items in games like Team Fortress 2, for example, if it keeps the main game free for me to play. I object to games being created in such a way so their very mechanics are designed around catching 'whales' and fleecing them for all their cash, much like a lot of freemium mobile games. It's preying on addiction, much like fruit machines and the like. It's quite a nuanced difference so I wouldn't expect you to understand. ;)

A racing simulator isn't even a valid comparison, so I'm not sure what kind of point you're trying to make here.

-edit- also I despise FULL PRICE games which then have microtransactions on top that you need to buy in order to progress without a hell of a lot of grind (see Forza 5).

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:57 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10271
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
I was writing a long old post but got bored because I know it's ultimately pointless.

I'm sorry for making assumptions on your opinion based on the conversation, Bamba (even if they turned out to be right, because I didn't know that at the time). Let's just carry on, shall we?


And I'm sorry for my nit-picking being annoying. It just seemed like you wanted to be pissed at someone for not liking micro-transactions and if that was going to be me I at least wanted to be clear about exactly what position I was defending.

Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
So. How come you don't think there's good MT? Something like when I bought a cool new type of weapon in some tower defence game I had, which I didn't need to win the game, but happily paid 69p for because it looked cool (and I liked the game anyway, which was free)? Or when I bought a new map in Bloons (I apparently have a thing for MT in tower defence games, so I'm going to think of another in a bit).


As I touched on above it comes down to your definition of micro-transaction. Which is a difficult basis because these things are just blanket terms with no genuine hard definition. For the sake of this conversation I'd be tempted to define DLC as something (an item, an upgrade, a level pack) you pay a set amount for once and then always have. MTs though are stuff like in game currency or packs of useable power-ups or whatever.

So, given that, I have MTs because there's no end to them. It's not like you buy a single specific item and then just have it forever which is a known cost (and which I think is generally fine). These endless micro-transaction are problematic because (a) it means you can't know how much the game would ever cost in the long run and (b) generally F2P games will be tilted towards these MTs at a basic design level; which necessarily destroys the balance of a game. Obviously it's possible to do MTs well, the same as it's possible to do shitty DLC, but the 'endless' nature of these MTs means you can't ever know whether you're getting decent value or not and, frankly, I don't trust the gaming industry enough with something like that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:59 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 52781
Location: Liberty City
Bamba wrote:
So, given that, I have MTs because there's no end to them. It's not like you buy a single specific item and then just have it forever which is a known cost (and which I think is generally fine). These endless micro-transaction are problematic because (a) it means you can't know how much the game would ever cost in the long run and (b) generally F2P games will be tilted towards these MTs at a basic design level; which necessarily destroys the balance of a game. Obviously it's possible to do MTs well, the same as it's possible to do shitty DLC, but the 'endless' nature of these MTs means you can't ever know whether you're getting decent value or not and, frankly, I don't trust the gaming industry enough with something like that.

Good post here.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:04 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66492
Location: Your Mum
Festive Warrior wrote:
You seem to have created a straw man argument here. I don't mind microtransactions for cosmetic items in games like Team Fortress 2, for example, if it keeps the main game free for me to play.

I'm fairly sure you've said (more than once) you won't even try a mobile game that has "in-app purchases" on the description. Although perhaps I missed a joke - it doesn't really matter anyway.

Is DLC not just a MT but scaled up? A MT where you buy something, I mean, like in the examples I posted. You could say that the tracks you purchased took more work than the gun I bought in my Tower Defence game, but that might not be the case. It almost certainly is, but it might not be. So is "big" added content okay because of a perceived idea of the work it took to create it?

Totally agree with everyone about the "pay 69p to get more energy or wait five hours before you can play again thing, though".

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:04 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66492
Location: Your Mum
Aaaand everyone is saying the same thing :D

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:10 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 52781
Location: Liberty City
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
I'm fairly sure you've said (more than once) you won't even try a mobile game that has "in-app purchases" on the description.

It's possible I said that. I say a lot of things. Do I mean them all? Highly unlikely. You have met me, right?

Batting a thousand!

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:15 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10271
I don't actually mind a game saying it has IAP if it also costs money. Which sounds weird, but it's because in my experience if a game costs money up front then the IAP will be genuinely unnecessary cosmetic type nonsense (which I'll just ignore) or will otherwise not impact the core game. Conceptually I think it's a bit iffy of a developer to charge extra cash for useless tat but as long as it's easy to ignore I can't bring myself to care too much in reality.

Obviously someone could charge up front and then also put endless MTs front and centre but, for the moment at least, devs seem to understand that doing so will fuck up their reputation so it's not worth it. If that begins to change then my feelings and choices will move accordingly.

What will totally make me suspicious though is games that are free up front and have IAPs. Genuine free lunches are rare in life so that combination almost certainly means you're going to get hit for cash at a later point. If that's in the form of one off level pack unlock fees or whatever then fine--indeed that's my preferred model--but as soon as there's a mention of in game currency or cool down timers or whatever then I'll almost certainly uninstall your game because I won't have my enjoyment arbitrarily gated.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:16 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10271
Festive Warrior wrote:
It's possible I said that. I say a lot of things. Do I mean them all? Highly unlikely.


It's this kind of shit that makes people want to hurt you. Just FYI.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
:kiss:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:35 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66492
Location: Your Mum
What about games that announce DLC before they're even released?

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:36 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 52781
Location: Liberty City
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
What about games that announce DLC before they're even released?

Bullshit, obviously. Carving up parts of the game to sell additionally is a shit practice.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:40 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66492
Location: Your Mum
Festive Warrior wrote:
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
What about games that announce DLC before they're even released?

Bullshit, obviously. Carving up parts of the game to sell additionally is a shit practice.

What if the original game is cheaper because of it?

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:46 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10271
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
What about games that announce DLC before they're even released?


Yeah, that's generally fucking nonsense. I mean it could be legit; if the actual planned full game was nearing completion and they'd started thinking about what stuff they could do down the line that's fair enough, but if you're actually announcing it before the main game is even released then I think it's fair to assume you've purposely gated things off from each other purely to wring more cash out of the content.

For me this largely comes down to trust again. Without knowing the exact timescales of a project and what work started when you can't ever know the difference between cynical content-carving vs genuine supplementary design/development, but games publishers have done little to engender my trust so I'll generally assume the worst.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:46 
SupaMod
User avatar
"Praisebot"

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15118
Location: Parts unknown
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
Festive Warrior wrote:
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
What about games that announce DLC before they're even released?

Bullshit, obviously. Carving up parts of the game to sell additionally is a shit practice.

What if the original game is cheaper because of it?


Does this ever happen?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: WongaWatch - The Grand Game Expenditure Thread 2015
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:57 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 52781
Location: Liberty City
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
Festive Warrior wrote:
Grim-beard... the noisy wrote:
What about games that announce DLC before they're even released?

Bullshit, obviously. Carving up parts of the game to sell additionally is a shit practice.

What if the original game is cheaper because of it?

A £20 game that has £20 DLC at launch? Sure, why not.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DLC and microtransactions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 23:17 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45124
Location: The erogenous zone
Your Mum keeps her initial cost down by charging seperately for extras.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DLC and microtransactions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 23:17 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45124
Location: The erogenous zone
She's a Dick Loving Criminal.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DLC and microtransactions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 13:06 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 31998
Level boost packs for Destiny. £25 a go. Blimey.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DLC and microtransactions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 13:10 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 52781
Location: Liberty City
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Level boost packs for Destiny. £25 a go. Blimey.

Image

All the more ridiculous as actually levelling up that high doesn't take too long at all.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DLC and microtransactions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 13:39 
User avatar
Bad Girl

Joined: 20th Apr, 2008
Posts: 12505
And if you buy the Taken King now it gives you an item to level up to level 25 immediately.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DLC and microtransactions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 14:44 
Excellent Member

Joined: 5th Dec, 2010
Posts: 3353
Its all about choice though?

If you want to pay to progress in a game is there really an issue? If the DLC provides good entertainment and hours of gameplay is that a problem? These days there are plenty of reviews online for these things that ensure you can be informed before you buy.

I guess if MT and DLC are key to making a paid "base" game better or avoid endless grind that that's when its no so good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DLC and microtransactions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 14:49 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15165
When it becomes pay to win in multiplayer then I think that it's a load of shite but I don't play those sorts of games anyway so I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where I'd really care about this. Meh.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DLC and microtransactions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 15:02 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 52781
Location: Liberty City
Most PvP has level-specific items disabled by default anyway, so all it is is a timesaver for those who don't want the grind of levels 1-25. I would hope the cost is prohibitive enough that not many people will really do it.

If it means I get free expansion DLC for the next 12 months (as seems to be the case), then I'm all for it.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DLC and microtransactions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:30 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 52781
Location: Liberty City
Mortal Kombat 11 has towers that are basically impossible to complete without rare items which you get in loot crates, according to Reddit though, so take it with a pinch of salt perhaps.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DLC and microtransactions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:56 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66492
Location: Your Mum
Based on what one guy said who'd played for three hours.

I am "eh" on the whole MK11 MTX thing. As long as putting a boot in someone's face doesn't cost me money (or, perhaps more importantly, no-one can pay to put a better boot in my face) I'm cool with it. Shiny cosmetics, SP power-ups and finisher instructions are fair game, IMO.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DLC and microtransactions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 13:02 
User avatar
Can't re-member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 52781
Location: Liberty City
Grim... wrote:
Based on what one guy said who'd played for three hours.

I am "eh" on the whole MK11 MTX thing. As long as putting a boot in someone's face doesn't cost me money (or, perhaps more importantly, no-one can pay to put a better boot in my face) I'm cool with it. Shiny cosmetics, SP power-ups and finisher instructions are fair game, IMO.

In a game that already costs £45-50?

I fell down a rabbit hole of terrible articles and comments reading One Angry Gamer trying to find some evidence to back up this Reddit post. Do not ever read that site, it should come with a health warning.

_________________
I am currently under construction.
Thank you for your patience.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DLC and microtransactions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 13:14 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66492
Location: Your Mum
Mr Chonks wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Based on what one guy said who'd played for three hours.

I am "eh" on the whole MK11 MTX thing. As long as putting a boot in someone's face doesn't cost me money (or, perhaps more importantly, no-one can pay to put a better boot in my face) I'm cool with it. Shiny cosmetics, SP power-ups and finisher instructions are fair game, IMO.

In a game that already costs £45-50?

:shrug:

As long as you don't have to buy them. If it's stopping the game costing £70-80 then I'm all for it.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DLC and microtransactions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 14:48 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10271
Grim... wrote:
As long as you don't have to buy them. If it's stopping the game costing £70-80 then I'm all for it.


What's stopping the games without microtransactions from costing £70-80?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DLC and microtransactions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 14:51 
User avatar
ugvm'er at heart...

Joined: 4th Mar, 2010
Posts: 20663
I am.

You're welcome.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DLC and microtransactions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 14:54 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45124
Location: The erogenous zone
I wouldn't class £25 as micro transaction!

You could get 2 and a half full games for that.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DLC and microtransactions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 14:56 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 66492
Location: Your Mum
Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:
As long as you don't have to buy them. If it's stopping the game costing £70-80 then I'm all for it.


What's stopping the games without microtransactions from costing £70-80?

I dunno! Games are absurdly cheap. I hate to think how far behind inflation they are.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DLC and microtransactions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 14:56 
User avatar
Paws for thought

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 16426
Location: Just Outside That London, England, Europe
Zardoz wrote:
I wouldn't class £25 as micro transaction!

You could get 2 and a half full games for that.

Or about 15 from the steamy piles thread.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DLC and microtransactions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 15:20 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 10271
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:
As long as you don't have to buy them. If it's stopping the game costing £70-80 then I'm all for it.


What's stopping the games without microtransactions from costing £70-80?

I dunno!


If you don't know then it's probably not all that credible to suggest that microtransactions are the reason your game doesn't cost more.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BikNorton, Columbo, Hearthly, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.