Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: Water, specifically the bottled type
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 13:14 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

After managing to drink all 72 Mountain Dew cans worryingly quickly (though I did give some away), I've only been drinking water since, from the tap. I've come to enjoy the flavour of it, and fill up a flip-top bottle of the stuff for work (the water here isn't as nice).

However, my bottle managed to break yesterday and leak inside my bag, so I bought a bottle of Evian this morning at the petrol station, so I can use that until it, too, manages to break.

I just opened the bottle and took a taste. It's disgusting. It tastes really bitter, like they've just let carbonated water go flat and charged a premium for it. There's just no nice taste to it at all.

Post subject: Re: Water, specifically the bottled type
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 13:20 
Hibernating Druid

Did you wash the petrol from your hands? :p

Bottled water is stupidly expensive, I suggest you buy a Brita filter and run your tap water through it at home and buy yourself a proper water bottle, like cyclists use or similar.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 13:22 

Ah the brita debate again.

I'll shortcut it with, Zardoz's plan is perfect except for the words "Buy a brita filter and run your water through it at home" part, which should of course read "just use tap water"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 13:24 

Zardoz wrote:
Did you wash the petrol from your hands? :p

Bottled water is stupidly expensive, I suggest you buy a Brita filter and run your tap water through it at home and buy yourself a proper water bottle, like cyclists use or similar.

I was wearing gloves when I filled up :) Petrol would probably improve Evian though.

I can't be bothered filtering water. It doesn't taste as nice, and I'm not of the 'BAN THESE SICK CHEMICALS' school of thinking as far as tap water goes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 13:26 
Hibernating Druid

Oh yeah, if you live in a hard water area don't bother with the filter.

Sucks for you.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 13:33 

I live in a 'Slightly hard to moderately soft' water area, apparently. I really have no complaints about how tasty the tap water is.

But anyway: Evian :spew:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 13:41 

You should buy a proper, preferably aluminium bottle, so that you can boil it. Refilling water bottles can lead to a poorly tummy if you don't boil them - putting the bottle to your lips and your saliva and cells from your mouth can get into the bottle opening and around the neck and they breed quite fast (as anyone who did that mouth swab test at school might tell you. I didn't, but I heard about it...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 13:43 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mimi wrote:
You should buy a proper, preferably aluminium bottle, so that you can boil it. Refilling water bottles can lead to a poorly tummy if you don't boil them - putting the bottle to your lips and your saliva and cells from your mouth can get into the bottle opening and around the neck and they breed quite fast (as anyone who did that mouth swab test at school might tell you. I didn't, but I heard about it...

It's for this reason that I buy a bottle of volvic flavoured stuff at the start of the week, and refill it myself for that week before chucking it in the bin on Friday. I do rinse it out thoroughly with hot water every day, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 13:46 
Excellently Membered

I think most bottled water tastes of a plasitic . Ug!

I filter by tap water but only because my water tastes like it been filtered through a 3 week old tampax unless I run it for 6 hours.

Tap water is da man and I like germs!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 13:50 

Mimi wrote:

I don't believe in bacteria.

Seriously though, I probably should get a proper bottle. But for now, these Quavers have my full attention.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 13:55 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Get cheap supermarket own brand bottled water. It's the same, but a third of the price.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 13:56 
Legendary Boogeyman

GET IT OUT THE TAP, ITS 0% OF THE PRICE. :hat:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 13:56 

sinister agent wrote:
Get cheap supermarket own brand bottled water. It's the same, but a third of the price.

So disgusting and still more than tap water then? :DD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 13:58 

I don't like to think about what's lurking at the bottom of my beloved and battered Sig bottle.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 14:40 
What-ho, chaps!

Ash?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 15:16 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Mimi wrote:

It's for this reason that I buy a bottle of volvic flavoured stuff at the start of the week, and refill it myself for that week before chucking it in the bin on Friday. I do rinse it out thoroughly with hot water every day, though.

I do this too. Except the rinsing every day thing. Usually after a week they start to taste weird - a bit like rust. I imagine that's EVIL growing on my bottle.

ps: I don't actually buy bottled water at the start of the week - I get coke or something. I just feel ripped off paying for water. Also, I don't have a job to take my water to. BUT STILL.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 15:58 
Isn't that lovely?

We got a note through the door today advising to boil all water before consuming. Apparently (and this through the school mums grapevine, rather than south west water) some river water got into the supply.

We have a filter on our fridge (which has a cold water and ice feed from the mains) that's lovely that is. The red light has come on telling us to change the filter, but we've only had it 6 months, I think it can wait at least another 6 months :)

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 16:09 

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
We have a filter on our fridge (which has a cold water and ice feed from the mains) that's lovely that is.

A friend has one of them. I used to turn it onto Crushed Ice Mode, fill a glass with the stuff, then top it up with straight cordial. Really nice, they were.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 20:15 

itsallwater wrote:
I filter by tap water but only because my water tastes like it been filtered through a 3 week old tampax unless I run it for 6 hours.

How do you KNOW? :'(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 0:50 
making out to faces of death

The tap water around here often has little bits of muck in it, probably because they never stop digging up the pipes. I just drink lots of coffee. I imagine boiled bits (!) aren't dangerous to drink.

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]