Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: God of War 3
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 23:23 
Bad Girl

The demo is available to download now. A bash through reveals ITSSSssss ...

... more of the same. Now that isn't a bad thing because the originals were always great fun to play but the fighting never quite matched up to Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden and now Bayonetta. But it just feels so good that its back!

It looks awesome though. Kratos big face on the menu looking like he's come from a Heavy Rain motion capture session. Then he turns around and you start playing him right from the off! Great stuff. This PS3 thing might actually be quite powerful after all.

The demo is a nice taster that this might just be the same-old GoW but in lovely Hi-Def, and didn't seem to progress beyond that until I ripped Cyclops eye right out - in this gory little sequence, swiftly followed by tearing a god's head clean off, before flying up a pipe and landing on a Titans head before it finished! I imagine it's going to be Bayonetta but instead of blinding you with visuals it'll just show them to you dripping with the blood of some guys intestines...

What with this and Heavy Rain (which is very interesting - Hi-Def ass cheeks lovingly rendered in the opening shower section), I might have to blow the dust off the PS3.

...and the biggest gripe; I have with it is that I have to play it with the PS3 torture devices. Fucking things.

Post subject: Re: God of War 3
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 13:18 

Oooh a demo! How novel! I think this is the first time I've ever seen a demo of a game before it comes out on the PS3. They usually come literally years after release (see MGS4).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 13:19 

Oh, I have to update my PS3 before I can get it...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 13:26 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

A friend of mine who loves his PS3 reckons this is great! I shall have to give it a go later on. It'll be interesting as I've never played any of the God of War games.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 13:30 

2671 MB?! Start the DL now if you want to play it today... Especially if you have a 1GB cap on your intertubes before they drop you down to super-slow speed. Bloody Virgin.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 13:33 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I was just about to post something similar... It's huge!! It better be good!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 16:06 

I'm playing this now for reals having finished Unsharted 3. It's so pretty!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 17:46 

Very difficult to stop playing this once you've started.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 0:21 
Bad Girl

Did I make a thread about this but forget to wax lyrical about how good GoW was? For shame, cause it was ace.

My main moan, I know you love a good moan, is that the combat is absolutely identical to GoW 1 & 2. IDENTICAL. There's the same gorgons who are dispatched identically to the way they were in the first. Same with the bird creatures. Same for the big ogre guys. Same for ALL of the creatures returning for the third time. I never understood why the creatures couldn't have different death animations in GoW 2 so it just seemed like a piss take after fans of the franchise has watched the same animations hundreds of times over two games.

Same with the combos actually, which haven't been expanded over three games. Shameful, even if there were some new additions to the weaponry.

All of this wouldn't mean a thing if this was your first time with GoW though, you'd just think it was fucking awesomely brutal. Fans probably felt the experience was ever so slightly marred by the familiarity.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 0:28 

Thankfully, I ducked out of the PS2 generation long before I got the chance to play the first two games!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 0:32 
Bad Girl

Thankfully? You missed out on two fabulous games (particularly the first).

I bet you're loving this though!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 0:42 

Well exactly. It's all new to me, as you say.

Do you reckon I should save my coin on the HD remakes, then? Bearing in mind I still haven't played SotC beyond the first half hour at a mate's house, and, y'know, I can't spend forever playing old stuff when there's so much new stuff sat on my shelf!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 0:51 
Bad Girl

Personally, I like to make sure I've played the old classics. You could probably skip, say, Max Payne 3 and enjoy yourself a whole lot more with GoW.

But if you've got SotC, you seriously need to crack on with that before playing ANY OTHER GAME EVER.

You can finish it in 5 hours so it might suit your attention span. ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 0:53 

Pff! I need to buy it first!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 0:59 
Bad Girl

You can borrow mine if you promise to stop everything you're doing and just play it through from start to finish. Every gamer needs to play it once. It's a masterclass in modern gaming.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:27 
Excellent Member

The HD remakes of the first two games were excellent and I enjoyed them almost as much as the third game, and that's having never played any of them before I got my ps3. Obviously they're nothing like as spectacular to look at but that's about the only meaningful difference between the first two and the third one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:17 
EvilTrousers

I am about half way through this on the PS4 having always wanted to try it but then the PSN hack made me spit my dummy out and get rid of my PS3 so I never did.

It's fucking amazing. Having never played a previous GoW game it's all new to me and the feeling of weight and power and fluidity and scale and control and oh loads of other stuff is remarkable - especially when you consider it's essentially a "last-gen" game.

It's like Bayonetta in that it starts off with in your face spectacle that you think can't be topped and then just goes on topping it flicking the V's at your doubting mentality. JUST LIKE JESUS.

So glad I finally caught up with this.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]