Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It hasn't gone anywhere, it's still right there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:34 
Prince of Fops

Did they decide not to remove it then? Or did I imagine it in an exceptionally boring dream?
Anyway, Paint 3D in Windows 10 is good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:39 
Excellent Member

Findus Fop wrote:
Did they decide not to remove it then? Or did I imagine it in an exceptionally boring dream?
Anyway, Paint 3D in Windows 10 is good.

They were going to remove it entirely--and I think they still technically have if you do a fresh install of the latest Win10 version--but they've put it up on the Windows Store to download for free so anyone who wants it can lay their hands on it.

ETA: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... dows-store

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 22:22 
Hello Hello Hello

A useful, welcome tip from Windows 10.

Considering that this is on my main PC connected to the mains.

The 'battery' it's referring to is a UPS.....

It's not the first time it's lobbed this shit at me either. This evening it happened because I dared to invoke Firefox.

Attachment:
thanko.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:03 
Esoteric

I bought, and paid for, a Windows 10 Pro key about six months or so ago. The only issue with these keys is that you have to phone Microsoft and switch them to your hardware. Good thing is that they can only be switched once, so you know some poopy head isn't going to end up using your key. However, at the time the servers were down (I tried in vain for about a week) and so I erm "Activated" it myself. Ever since then Defender is desperate to get rid of the activation. It has tried numerous times to delete the tool that keeps it activated, even though I continually tell it to leave it alone. I wonder why that is? maybe they are not allowed to just delete it from your PC and must get you to allow it? IDK, strange.

Of course it's easily remedied by simply reinstalling Windows and activating the serial (if their servers are now back up). What was weird is that if you kept trying you got through to a call centre in India. Who of course could not understand me, nor what I was trying to do.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:49 

JohnCoffey wrote:
I bought, and paid for, a Windows 10 Pro key about six months or so ago. The only issue with these keys is that you have to phone Microsoft and switch them to your hardware.
So you bought a bootleg enterprise key off a forum or Reddit for £10-20, yes?

Quote:
However, at the time the servers were down (I tried in vain for about a week)
I don't believe this is true. What you are suggesting happened is that no-one in the world could activate Windows for a week. Think about what you are saying and how big a story that would be. I think it's more likely you were sold a duff key.

Quote:
and so I erm "Activated" it myself.
You pirated it. Right.

Quote:
Ever since then Defender is desperate to get rid of the activation. It has tried numerous times to delete the tool that keeps it activated, even though I continually tell it to leave it alone. I wonder why that is? maybe they are not allowed to just delete it from your PC and must get you to allow it? IDK, strange.
It'll be because you pirated it HTH HAND. If you're lucky, the "tool" doesn't have any actual malware in it.

Quote:
Of course it's easily remedied by simply reinstalling Windows and activating the serial (if their servers are now back up). What was weird is that if you kept trying you got through to a call centre in India. Who of course could not understand me, nor what I was trying to do.
"Why won't Microsoft support my pirated operating system?"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:11 
Esoteric

I bought the key from Amazon. From, who was at the time of purchasing, a reputable company. I made sure to read the feedback first of course. I ordered a new motherboard without thinking to take the serial out of the Alienware board I had before stripping the rig down. So it was a case of "Rebuild entire PC and take serial off" or "Buy key from Amazon from the same place I got two others from before". As for it being an Enterprise key or whatever else? How do I know? I just saw the key and bought it. As I said, I had done it twice before and the only downside I could see was that you had to phone Microsoft for a string of numbers and letters ETC to activate it. However when I phoned there was terrible interference on the line and thus I could not. And if I let it ring out it would go to a call centre in India and they couldn't understand me.

I didn't ask why Microsoft won't support my operating system, but oddly they do. They key is genuine, however I would need to reinstall to activate it correctly which I CBA doing. Don't care about your accusations etc etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:17 

It cost nine quid and you're acting surprised it might not be on the up-and-up?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:19 
Unpossible!

I've bought a few OEM codes for family systems. They work. Once. If you change practically any hardware, they'll deactivate. Which is fair enough.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
I've bought a few OEM codes for family systems. They work. Once. If you change practically any hardware, they'll deactivate. Which is fair enough.

:this:

JohnCoffey wrote:
I bought the key from Amazon.

No, you bought the key from "Lizenzking".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:22 

DavPaz wrote:

They're a breach of the Microsoft licence for both you and the licence holder who's minting them and selling them on. The fact they generally work is an artefact of imperfect enforcement by Microsoft, nothing more. I don't care about anyone using them but subsequently getting butthurt at Microsoft detecting the copy of Windows isn't licensed is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

DavPaz wrote:

They do, but it's still not legit. OEM keys are for OEMs, not consumers. I couldn't care less, but if you pay £9 for something that costs £100, tough shit if it gives you problems tbh.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:23 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

JohnCoffey wrote:
I bought the key from Amazon.

No, you bought the key from "Lizenzking".

He sounds legit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:30 
Esoteric

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It cost nine quid and you're acting surprised it might not be on the up-and-up?

How do I know? I did what I would normally do and checked out the seller first. As I said, I had two from them before and they both activated fine once I phoned Microsoft. They also seemed quite professional, and would send you an invoice with your key on in the post.

They also send out what appeared to be a proper invoice with the serial number on which I then put into the box the board came with. I have no idea where they come from but there were loads on Amazon. If the serial was bad or didn't work I would have got a refund, and would not have received it in the post.

I can activate it legitimately but that means hours of messing around. Next time I need to do a full reinstall I will do it then. As for Lizenking? Again, how do I know? all I know is I have Amazon's A-Z. So if it doesn't work I get refunded either way.

DavPaz wrote:

I activated two others by phone. One with the robot, one with a human voice. He told me that I could not transfer it again and this was the last switch because it was OEM, so I said that was fine. I would not have been a repeat customer three times if I suspected they were stolen/whatever else.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm sure they are perfectly legit. But they're selling an OEM license key, which it says in the invoice, and you're not an OEM.

It's very widely done, so nobody's condemning you for doing it, but you don't really get to complain about Microsoft if you have problems with it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:35 
Esoteric

Cras wrote:
I'm sure they are perfectly legit. But they're selling an OEM license key, which it says in the invoice, and you're not an OEM.

It's very widely done, so nobody's condemning you for doing it, but you don't really get to complain about Microsoft if you have problems with it.

I wasn't complaining about it I was just saying that Windows Defender keeps trying to remove a file I have repeatedly told it not to lol.

TBH I hadn't even noticed the OEM part. That was only on the paper invoice :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:
I'm sure they are perfectly legit. But they're selling an OEM license key

Those two things don't go together ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

What's the file? If it's something you installed to bypass the activation check then well I can't exactly blame Defender for what it's doing :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
Cras wrote:
I'm sure they are perfectly legit. But they're selling an OEM license key

Those two things don't go together ;)

Sure they do, if they say 'you promise you're an OEM, right? Definitely buying this key for resale with a retail system, right?' ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:46 
Unpossible!

Something exploiting this perhaps...

https://www.top-password.com/blog/exten ... -120-days/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:53 
Esoteric

Cras wrote:
What's the file? If it's something you installed to bypass the activation check then well I can't exactly blame Defender for what it's doing :)

Nah I can't either it's just annoying haha.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 14:36 
UltraMod

Any reason why I can't RDC into my desktop from my laptop? Both on Windows 10, I've tried PC name and IP address, checked that the host has RDC enabled, even disabled/re-enabled the firewall rules, but to no avail. I've rebooted both machines, nada. I've tried connecting with credentials and with no credentials, no dice. It's not working.

Any advice?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 14:40 
UltraMod

Why didn't they call it W1nd0ws? Opportunity missed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 14:43 
Hello Hello Hello

You on Home or Pro?

It doesn't work on Home without jiggery pokery.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 14:45 
UltraMod

It is indeed Home.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 14:55 
Hello Hello Hello

In that case, officially, it's disabled in Home. (You need Pro or Enterprise.)

Unofficially, there are things like this, but I haven't actually tried them.

Completely at your own risk, obviously!

EDIT - Turns out MS have broken this with Windows Updates, doesn't look like it'll work now anyway.

https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/how-to-rdpw ... win10-home
https://www.download3k.com/articles/How ... tion-02036

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 14:56 
UltraMod

Thanks but I probably won't bother then. It was only for one specific use case and I have another route I can take.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Use Teamviewer.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:16 
UltraMod

I was under the impression you had to pay for that. I have had some experience of using it before it was banned at my old place.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

No, it's free for personal use. It's handy to install on a parent's PC, too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:19 
Hello Hello Hello

I bought an All-In-One PC for the kitchen as a new media player, the old laptop with a monitor on top of it and a wireless keyboard and mouse just wasn't up to the job any longer. (The laptop is ten years old, it has a habit of overheating and shutting down, shits itself with multiple Chrome tabs open, and is generally awful. Really painful to use. YouTube has to be watched at 480p as it can't handle 720p.)

Since I figured I needed the least fancy thing going I got one of the cheapest All-In-Ones Curry's had for delivery, £450 for this thing delivered - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing ... 8-pdt.html

Got it unboxed yesterday and set up by about 17:30, when I went to bed at midnight it was still doing Windows Updates.

First thing I had to uninstall was a limited time McAfee 'DEFENCE SUITE' which of course immediately wanted to start doing a full system scan and was bogging the thing down dreadfully. After that it was basically a case of trying to get Windows 10 through about a year's worth of updates including at least one major updgrade (Creator's Update, Fall Update or whatever the fuck they call them.) This fell on its arse more than once as updates conflicted with each other and required extra reboots it wasn't asking for.

Got up this morning and Windows had finally finished updating itself, so I then set about uninstalling all the other SHITE that HP pre-loaded it with. At idle after a reboot, it was sitting at 2.5GB RAM used and the CPU was constantly being utilised to a varying degree of 5-50%. (It's a low-power quad core AMD CPU, pretty much half an XBox One CPU in effect, so it doesn't have a massive amount of grunt.)

On top of that there were shitty games suites loaded that even had their own Windows Services associated with them, an awful media player, and all kinds of other bloatware crap that HP were clearly taking money for to infest their own hardware with.

(There were about 10 pieces of HP's own software to remove as well, absolutely none of which are required for the PC to work properly, and indeed it works BETTER once they're uninstalled.)

By the time I'd finished the idle RAM usage had dropped to 1.2GB, and the CPU would basically sit at 0% to 5% across all four cores.

For a final flourish it seems HP had put a shitty WLAN driver on there, which caused the wireless card to drop internet traffic periodically and then resume after a couple of minutes. I asked Windows to search for something better, it replaced it with an older driver that works perfectly.

Oh yes the keyboard and mouse are the cheapest, nastiest things ever which must have had a budget of about 35p allocated to them. I have reused the old wireless keyboard and mouse from the previous setup to get around that.

With all that done what I've actually been left with is a reasonably useable All-In-One PC, arguably a lot better than you'd expect for the money. But I feel very sorry for anyone who's trying to use one of the things 'as supplied' as I'd say it's scarcely fit for the purpose in its default state.

All that said, if you're comfortable with fettling the thing to a decent state, it's not a bad system for the cash. (Fans inside get quite noisy when it's under load though, so definitely not a quiet room PC.)

Attachment:
bagofshit.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:23 
Bad Girl

Lonewolves wrote:
Any reason why I can't RDC into my desktop from my laptop? Both on Windows 10, I've tried PC name and IP address, checked that the host has RDC enabled, even disabled/re-enabled the firewall rules, but to no avail. I've rebooted both machines, nada. I've tried connecting with credentials and with no credentials, no dice. It's not working.

Any advice?

Open your nat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

:hat:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:29 
Comfortably Dumb

Lonewolves wrote:
I was under the impression you had to pay for that. I have had some experience of using it before it was banned at my old place.

If you try and use it to connect to a server for example, it seems to detect that and starts showing banners prompting you to upgrade and then eventually it'll start limiting connection times and putting minimum reconnect times in, but as Grim says, you'll be fine for personal use.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:34 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
But I feel very sorry for anyone who's trying to use one of the things 'as supplied' as I'd say it's scarcely fit for the purpose in its default state.

You'd have been better just pulling the Windows key off the thing then installing a fresh copy of the OS. It's probably actually quicker in the long run and at least guarantees no bullshit bloatware hanging around. It would also mean you'd have a much more up to date copy of the OS on the machine before running Windows Update for the first time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:35 
Unpossible!

Bamba wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
But I feel very sorry for anyone who's trying to use one of the things 'as supplied' as I'd say it's scarcely fit for the purpose in its default state.

You'd have been better just pulling the Windows key off the thing then installing a fresh copy of the OS. It's probably actually quicker in the long run and at least guarantees no bullshit bloatware hanging around. It would also mean you'd have a much more up to date copy of the OS on the machine before running Windows Update for the first time.

Pretty much every OEM machine is similarly bloated these days. Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:40 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
No, it's free for personal use. It's handy to install on a parent's PC, too.

I am pointlessly posting this from my laptop outside while being connected to my desktop inside. Thank you. :kiss:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:43 
ugvm'er at heart...

DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

Pretty much every OEM machine is similarly bloated these days. Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way.

Does that still work with the OEM licence keys these days? Aren't they one install only etc...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

I bought a Dell box a month ago and it was surprisingly easy to purge the preinstalled shite.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:46 
Unpossible!

Dells aren't so bad as they expect half of their customer base to be re imaging anyway.

HP are probably the worst.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:50 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

Does that still work with the OEM licence keys these days? Aren't they one install only etc...

Wait, as in you can literally only install Windows once? So if the hard drive on the machine dies (or for any other reason you want to reinstall Windows) then you're fucked? If that's legal it really shouldn't be.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:50 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
HP are probably the worst.

Definitely the worst.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:54 
Unpossible!

You should be able to reinstall as many times as you need to as long as the hardware doesn't change.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:56 
UltraMod

Listen to this guy DavPaz. He knows what he's talking about.

Don't forget to wind your watch!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:57 
Unpossible!

Lonewolves wrote:
Listen to this guy DavPaz. He knows what he's talking about.

Don't forget to wind your watch!

:excellent:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 15:58 
Hello Hello Hello

I'd concede that a full reinstall would arguably work out less hassle in the long run, but TBH I'm pretty content with where it's ended up. There were no non-MS services running at startup by the time I'd finished (there are now as I've installed things I want on there), and I'd basically uninstalled every last thing I didn't want.

As Trooper notes above, I'd have concerns about a clean install with an OEM licence key not working, I'm not familiar with how MS work all that stuff in the Windows 10 world.

Please do remember it's basically a kitchen media player, so it'll do YouTube duties, I've installed Spotify, I'll listen to things on iPlayer, and do some web browsing/posting whilst I'm down in the kitchen cooking or whatever. (It's got a modest 2:1 set of Logitech speakers attached to it, which again are recycled from the previous setup.)

I've installed the battle.net client and Hearthstone, and it runs Hearthstone nicely at Medium settings.

Attachment:
hearthers.JPG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 16:12 
Bad Girl

DavPaz wrote:
HP are probably the worst

It’s nice on chips.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 16:13 
Bad Girl

COMPUTER CHIPS THAT IS.

*waits for applause*

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 16:15 
Hello Hello Hello

Here all week?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 16:17 
UltraMod

Here, all weak.

Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next