Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 1015 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 14:45 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18882
Location: shropshire, uk
An interesting article on support and the expiry of support.

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/insights/arti ... C500AD42A2

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:10 
User avatar
Noob as of 6/8/10

Joined: 6th Aug, 2010
Posts: 3123
Location: , Location, Location.
KovacsC wrote:
An interesting article on support and the expiry of support.

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/insights/arti ... C500AD42A2


Interesting. I've just received my new laptop from my new employer. I was dreading having to use Win 10, but it's got Win 7 Enterprise on it. Clearly they haven't considered, or aren't aware of the impending end of the updates.

_________________
'I just can't be arsed.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 13:13 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 9930
Warhead wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
An interesting article on support and the expiry of support.

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/insights/arti ... C500AD42A2


Interesting. I've just received my new laptop from my new employer. I was dreading having to use Win 10, but it's got Win 7 Enterprise on it. Clearly they haven't considered, or aren't aware of the impending end of the updates.


You can very easily make Win10 work exactly the same as Win7; there's nothing to fear from it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 13:33 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 47149
Also if they have a premier support account with MS, there is no pending end of updates for a while.

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 13:52 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 65251
Location: Your Mum
But it's going to get expensive.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 14:37 
User avatar
Noob as of 6/8/10

Joined: 6th Aug, 2010
Posts: 3123
Location: , Location, Location.
Bamba wrote:
Warhead wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
An interesting article on support and the expiry of support.

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/insights/arti ... C500AD42A2


Interesting. I've just received my new laptop from my new employer. I was dreading having to use Win 10, but it's got Win 7 Enterprise on it. Clearly they haven't considered, or aren't aware of the impending end of the updates.


You can very easily make Win10 work exactly the same as Win7; there's nothing to fear from it.


Not sure that the severe lock down that my new employer has on its kit would allow that IF we had Win 10, but we dont, so its all academic.

And I don't fear it, I just think it a pile of foetid dingos' kidneys.

_________________
'I just can't be arsed.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 15:36 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 9930
Warhead wrote:
Not sure that the severe lock down that my new employer has on its kit would allow that IF we had Win 10, but we dont, so its all academic.


The only thing you need to do is remove all the junk they nail onto the side of the Start Menu by default; you'd hope that any lockdown would still allow that amount of trivial customisation.

Warhead wrote:
And I don't fear it, I just think it a pile of foetid dingos' kidneys.


Fair enough. I've had no issues with it myself and I came straight from Win7.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 15:51 
User avatar
Noob as of 6/8/10

Joined: 6th Aug, 2010
Posts: 3123
Location: , Location, Location.
I have to admit I've hardly had any experience of it, apart from my sis-in-law's laptop that she bought a couple of years ago.

There were two things that pissed me off; the way that Edge just hung when I tried to do anything with it, but worse was the lack of a facility to import contacts from her old machine in to the native mail client. That's completely pathetic. Oh, and the general design which I still think looks cheap and nasty.

_________________
'I just can't be arsed.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 17:24 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 9930
Warhead wrote:
the way that Edge just hung when I tried to do anything with it


I mean, there's an easy and obvious solution to that...

Although, I don't think it's entirely fair to hold that against the OS when it's an app level thing.

Warhead wrote:
but worse was the lack of a facility to import contacts from her old machine in to the native mail client. That's completely pathetic.


Again that's arguably an issue with that single app rather than an OS level; though it obviously doesn't help to give a brilliant first impression.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 17:32 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34262
Windows (and Android) have very often been fucked in the First Impressions department by OEM bloatware.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 17:33 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 9930
DavPaz wrote:
Windows (and Android) have very often been fucked in the First Impressions department by OEM bloatware.


Indeed, though Warhead's issues are with natives apps so it seems Microsoft are looking to get in on that action themselves.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 17:35 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34262
Yeah, Windows 10 does through a huge heap of crap at you on first run. Easily removed, though


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 17:39 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13610
Location: Oxford
I've tried everything I can, but no matter how much fiddling with its innards I try, '3D Objects' still appears as one of my favourite places. Grrr...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 21:29 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Joined: 17th Dec, 2008
Posts: 8145
Kern wrote:
I've tried everything I can, but no matter how much fiddling with its innards I try, '3D Objects' still appears as one of my favourite places. Grrr...

Titling the fuck out of that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 16:17 
User avatar
Noob as of 6/8/10

Joined: 6th Aug, 2010
Posts: 3123
Location: , Location, Location.
Bamba wrote:
Warhead wrote:
the way that Edge just hung when I tried to do anything with it


I mean, there's an easy and obvious solution to that...

Although, I don't think it's entirely fair to hold that against the OS when it's an app level thing.

Warhead wrote:
but worse was the lack of a facility to import contacts from her old machine in to the native mail client. That's completely pathetic.


Again that's arguably an issue with that single app rather than an OS level; though it obviously doesn't help to give a brilliant first impression.


I take your point on both issues.

From my POV I was just trying to get my sis-in-law's new laptop ready to use. She's in her 70s an not very tech savvy, so anything that fails to work as advertised gets dumped on me.

MS were bleating on about how Edge was their browser beater and all it did was hang her machine whenever I used it, so I just advised her to avoid it. Updates probably fixed it later, but I wouldn't have seen them as it wasn't my laptop. Whether these problems were app or Windows based was an irrelevance to us on the day of purchase. The apps were bundled with Win 10 and didn't meet our expectations.

It didn't help that her old PC was completely dead so I had to take the HDD out and stick it in a caddy to be able to extract her contacts details and manually reinput them into the native mail client. There wasn't any facility to import contacts in any format. I call that fundamentally crap.

_________________
'I just can't be arsed.'


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 1015 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pod People and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.