Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 23:41 
Excellent Member

What kind of weird-ass Mickey Mouse CPU do you have to have for it not to to be supported by Windows?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 23:44 
Can you dig it?

It's about 10 years old, so while I he was a little surprised, on the other hand it's pretty old in tech terms and not everything can be supported forever - it's an AMD x2 3800.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:09 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

You can reduce the size of the search bar on the task bar. I think it's under the Cortana settings when you right click the task bar.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:36 
Excellent Member

Quote:
Since changing my DNS to Google's server the issues I was having in Edge, Chrome (not tried since) and any browser other than Firefox have evaporated, leading me to believe there's an issue at PlusNet's end.. That has nothing to do with 10 though but obviously with tabs broken on Firefox I am forced to use Edge. I don't mind it and it matches the colour scheme for 10 that I chose (dark) but there is no Adblock for it at the time of me writing this (will check again in a minute).

I had a similar thing a while ago, anything of wireless would have doggy website loading on wired it was fine. What I did to fix it makes no sense but I ended up putting Google DNS on the router as I noticed that the ISP's DNS was missing. Everything has worked fine since then.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 19:27 
Excellent Member

So, I found out what's wrong with my settings stuff in Windows 10. In Windows 10 MS have defined a load of URIs which should launch specific settings apps. You can try these yourself in the Run box, so it's things like "ms-settings:display" for the Display control panel and whatnot. However, if I go into the Default Programs control panel none of these URIs even exit so obviously there's no handler app defined for them. I can see other new stuff (so there's a protocol defined to launch the clock and the calculator and fucking Twitter and whatnot) but no settings stuff at all. Obviously I'll be blowing this install away anyway, hopefully tomorrow if I get time, but still; that's some pretty awful shit right there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:50 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I noticed last night that my screensaver no longer works. No matter how I set it, it never comes on. That's odd.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:36 

I tenned my machine this week. Pretty impressed by it, although some of the inconsistencies in the interface will take getting used to. I keep on switching the big search bar on and off as I can't decide which is more pleasing to look at on the taskbar.

Edge has promise, but for reasons I can't fathom it doesn't seem to use Cleartype so everything looks crap. Won't be switching from Firefox until that's mended.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:49 
Excellent Member

Over the last couple of days my install has developed a new and exciting issue wherein, at some point while running, the Start Menu and taskbar freeze up completely while the rest of the machine carries on happily. Phase 2 of this issue is that it's begun happening instantly on boot up. Windows does notices so gives me a helpful error message telling me what's happened and forcing me to log on/off in an attempt to fix the problem. Which it doesn't, and so you're completely locked out of the machine and it took three reboots last night before I could get in. Annoyingly life keeps getting in the way of me having time to reinstall everything but I'm taking a sort of grim amusement from being seemingly the only person with such a massively fucked install.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:26 
Prince of Fops

This kind of business worries me - I'm in the process of buying a new PC as I need one for work. However, if I buy one with a Windows 10 install, am I going to have all sorts of problems until it gets patched?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:29 
Unpossible!

Findus Fop wrote:
This kind of business worries me - I'm in the process of buying a new PC as I need one for work. However, if I buy one with a Windows 10 install, am I going to have all sorts of problems until it gets patched?

I think a lot of currently on-sale PC will still be Windows 8.1 with a free upgrade token. Probably most.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:32 

Just out of curiosity, why is this Windows 10 rather than Windows 9?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:33 
Prince of Fops

DavPaz wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

I think a lot of currently on-sale PC will still be Windows 8.1 with a free upgrade token. Probably most.

ah cool, cheers Mr Paz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:33 
Unpossible!

Mimi wrote:

No official answer, but it may be related to lazy coders checking for Windows versions by looking for "Windows 9X" to detect 95/98.

Maybe.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:34 
Unpossible!

Findus Fop wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

ah cool, cheers Mr Paz

You might still find some with downgrade tokens for Windows 7.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:35 

Findus Fop wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

ah cool, cheers Mr Paz

Even when they do start shipping PCs with it on it will surely have been tested with that specific hardware or else it would be a bit of a nightmare for the retailers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:14 

DavPaz wrote:
Mimi wrote:

No official answer, but it may be related to lazy coders checking for Windows versions by looking for "Windows 9X" to detect 95/98.

Maybe.

ah, maybe that is it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:23 
Esoteric

Things are pretty much perfect now that I'm back on Chrome. Still got the odd annoyances (like the fact it doesn't remember my login here and on certain other forums) but other than that it's pretty much as stable as 8.1 was :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:04 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

@Bamba

Mine seemed to have a similar problem to yours last night. The start menu and Cortana just wouldn't open no matter how many times they were clicked. A restart seemed to sort it so I don't know... I think Onedrive was uploading stuff at the time so maybe that was hogging my resources?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:53 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Windows 10 FAQ

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ ... e_mod1_faq

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 21:22 
Excellent Member

SSD installed and Windows 10 loaded and so far all my issues from the original install are gone. Although I'm currently running at a terrible resolution while waiting for gfx drivers to download so the wheels could still come off. The only thing is that I don't have access to my second drive with all my files on it, but hopefully that just means I haven't plugged something back in properly when installing the SSD. Although when I was putting Windows 7 back on it did see both drives at that point which is a tad worrying...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 21:27 
Excellent Member

Okay, that was weird. I could see my Files disk in the Disk Management control panel but it wasn't accessible. I eventually realised it didn't have a drive letter assigned so I gave it one and now everything's cool. Oddnes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 0:14 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:16 

Well, we can't all be special like you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:31 
Excellent Member

Achilles wrote:
Some of you have watched Black Mirror episodes, the final irony.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the connection between the dystopian narratives of any of the Black Mirror episodes and upgrading a computer's OS? I ask because I don't think there is one. I think you're just waving your hands and going 'ooooooh, technooolooooogy, irooooony' like some kind of twat and hoping we'll all just magically make the massive mental leap that would be required to turn your smug winking into a coherent point. And just in case that's not doing the job we now get context free dumping of links about psychology, similarly designed to make your ramblings appear relevant without any actual, y'know, effort on your part.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:37 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:45 
Excellent Member

Were you drunk when you wrote that? For your sake I hope so because aside from not addressing anything I said it doesn't make any sense at all even when taken as a post in its own right.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:41 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:42 
Excellent Member

It's literally impossible to meaningfully address gibberish, that's just a fact. I mean, look at what you wrote! Some mumbling about how your real opinion is too crazy to reveal and then you just point at Minority Report and say, "Do you see?!?" You seem to think references are the same as opinions and it makes you look insane.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:44 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:13 
Excellent Member

Achilles wrote:
Now back to Windows 10...

That would be nice. Given that your only contributions so far have been to cast vague aspersions at anyone who's chosen to make the switch I'm not holding my breath where you're concerned.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 13:40 
Hello Hello Hello

I like to think that Achilles goes on wild mescaline benders and then decides to post a raft of enigmatic warnings to BEEX whilst on the comedown.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 17:22 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've read that Mission Impossible post several times today and I still can't get my head around it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 21:07 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 21:20 
:insincere:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 23:40 
Isn't that lovely?

I wanted to watch a Blu Ray on my laptop. I cannot. Now, I knew that windows 10 lost the ability to play Blu Rays and DVDs, but I thought to myself, I own an Xbox one, and 2 Blu Ray players, I probably won't need to use my laptop to watch a Blu Ray.

How wrong i was. Eldest son playing on Xbox, daughter watching something on Netflix on dining room TV, middle son watching sky on living room TV.

Rats.

Why have they taken out the ability to play DVDs and Blu Rays natively?

I guess the answer is to save money. Still annoying though.

I know I can download or buy a 3rd party player. But it still seems silly.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 23:44 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 23:51 
Excellent Member

Did Windows 8 actually have Bluray playback? Certainly Windows 7 didn't, to my knowledge. DVD stuff is easy and free to sort with VLC so I genuinely don't care if that's built in or not.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 23:54 
Excellent Member

Achilles wrote:
Go back to Windows 7 till they fix it then? Got 11 months free trial remaining after all.

I may try it out on day 360 on a spare SDD.

Technically I think you have a 'forever' free trial. If you take the free upgrade to Windows 10 now that gets you a license which lasts forever (on the same, or similar, hardware at least). So even if you instantly revert back to an earlier version you can upgrade again whenever you want.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 23:55 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 23:56 

Blu-ray licenses cost a fortune, so it doesn't come with any version of Windows. You have to buy really expensive software, like PowerDVD, in order to have it. But if you buy ready made PCs with Blu-ray drives they will often come with OEM versions of PowerDVD preinstalled.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 23:58 
Excellent Member

lasermink wrote:
Blu-ray licenses cost a fortune, so it doesn't come with any version of Windows. You have to buy really expensive software, like PowerDVD, in order to have it. But if you buy ready made PCs with Blu-ray drives they will often come with OEM versions of PowerDVD preinstalled.

Aye, that's pretty much what I thought the situation was. I do wonder how they justify a cost for Bluray playback software that's more than stand alone hardware would run you, but what do I know?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

All the members of the bluray consortium make playback hardware, is probably the answer there ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:32 
Hello Hello Hello

People still use discs?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:49 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
People still use discs?

If you can find me a streaming service with anything like the selection Lovefilm's post service I'll gladly switch.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:32 
Sleepyhead

Yeah, but think of what they said in Star Trek, eh?

Now who's the fool?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 16:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
People still use discs?

If you can find me a streaming service with anything like the selection Lovefilm's post service I'll gladly switch.

Fair point, Mrs Hearthly gets stuff from Lovefilm for Hearthly Jnr as it far surpasses what we can stream in terms of selection. We're already paying for Netflix but not the Amazon equivalent (whatever it's called), and I'm loathed to have two streaming subscriptions on the go which won't get used much, instead of one that doesn't get used much :D

We have digitially purchased a few things from Amazon though, like, Mrs Hearthly got Ice Age for Hearthly Jnr the other day for £6, and it says we can stream it now as many times as we like.

Personally I prefer the permanency of having films on the NAS, having learned the hard way that adding something to 'MY LIST' on Netflix and coming to watch it a couple of months later doesn't work very well if it's been removed from the service.....

It was always said that legitimate services need to be better than piracy for people to stop pirating things, and yet it seems to me that the streaming marketplace is becoming irritatingly complex, fragmented, and undependable. How many fucking subs are we supposed to have on the go at once to give a reasonable chance of there being one of them offering a particular film we want to watch at any given moment in time?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 17:01 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

On the subject the main (easiest) 3rd party DVD player to use is VLC (Microsoft even recommend it) - and the reason it gets away with being free ?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/if-vlc-can ... microsoft/

VLC is 'French' so uses French law not American

Quote:

Patents and codec licenses Neither French law nor European conventions recognize software as patentable (see French section below).

Therefore, software patents licenses do not apply on VideoLAN software.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 17:24 
Hello Hello Hello

VLC is the best media player for everything as far as I can tell, not just DVDs.

You can almost literally chuck fucking anything* at it and it'll just play it.

There are seven PCs/laptops in this house, VLC is installed and up to date on all of them.

Interesting to finally find out how they include DVD playback in there for free though, never really thought about it TBH!

* Media type file, obv.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 21:00 

It still doesn't play Blu-rays, though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 0:08 
Can you dig it?

mrak wrote:
I once leafed through a copy of the sheet music book for Fat of the Land. It was hilarious.

I listened to Fat of the Land recently for the first time in many years. It really hasn't aged well. But of course, times have changed and so have I.

I no longer have a car full of subs and 6x9s, loaded with mates, so maybe it wan't the 'optimal' listening experience either.

Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next