Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:35 

"Taking care of a few things"

That sounds fucking ominous.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:38 

And we're in. Everything seems similar. I was expecting to feel like I had just warped through a space-portal or something.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 23:32 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 23:43 

Achilles wrote:
Make sure you set "Cortana" (sounds like an 80s car to me) to record everything you say. I wonder what else Microsoft allow to access your hard drive? Or will in the future.

The EULA and Privacy Policy are almost exactly the same as Windows 8 - the main difference being a slight rewording to show the "Windows as a Service" thing. And as far as I can tell, all monitoring has settings to disable it. (Which is the first thing I always do with any new device....)

Achilles wrote:
Did I read Solitaire now has adverts?

Apparently it's now maintained by a 3rd party company? Not sure how true that is. But yes, there is adverts between games ranging in length between 15 and 30 seconds - not in the actual games, from my experience.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 23:45 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I don't see what the problem is. Microsoft need my details so they can serve me better with adverts that they're going to be serving anyway? I'd rather see adverts for stuff I might be interested in.

And yes, solitaire does show an advert at the bottom but only on the menu screen so far. It's actually a nifty version all tied into Xbox live!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 23:51 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 0:20 
Bad Girl

TheVision wrote:
I don't see what the problem is. Microsoft need my details so they can serve me better with adverts that they're going to be serving anyway? I'd rather see adverts for stuff I might be interested in.

And yes, solitaire does show an advert at the bottom but only on the menu screen so far. It's actually a nifty version all tied into Xbox live!

I'd rather not see adverts.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 0:26 
Unpossible!

Windows 10 is downloading.

I'm going to bed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 0:29 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 13:05 
Unpossible!

I like it!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 13:21 
Esoteric

DavPaz wrote:
I like it!

Yeah I really like it too :) I'm just waiting on some RCA connectors to sort out my sound then I will get a mic for Cortana as it works really well :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 13:56 

Achilles wrote:
markg wrote:
And we're in. Everything seems similar. I was expecting to feel like I had just warped through a space-portal or something.

Make sure you set "Cortana" (sounds like an 80s car to me) to record everything you say. I wonder what else Microsoft allow to access your hard drive? Or will in the future.

Such weird 'tinfoil hat' thoughts eh? Did I read Solitaire now has adverts? Fuck me, Charlie Brooker wasted his time with his Black Mirror shows didn't he?

Not directed at you in particular markg, but it is directed at everyone who doesn't just take a moment to think about things.

No chance, we are mere sheep, members of the herd. We cannot stand alone like you and see the truths as you do, our tiny minds simply could not handle insights of such depth.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 14:14 
Unpossible!

I don't even have a microphone attached to my PC.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 14:27 
Esoteric

I've got a Razer headset I got at a bargain £38 but since switching to the DAC it's annoying to switch between the DAC and headphones and the headset so I think I will get one of those desktop mics. I wouldn't but I tested Cortana and it really works well.

I know, lazy, but I'm a tech geek :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 19:52 
Excellent Member

Well, we're not off to a good start here. I literally can't open any control panels at all; I just get a stupid message about the file note having a program associated with it. Obviously that's pretty useless in general but it's doubly so because the display on my monitor looks like ass and I can't even get in to change the resolution. *sigh* To the Google-o-tron!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 20:31 
Excellent Member

Nope, I can't find a fix for that which is more than a little annoying. I did manage to get my resolution set properly after having to fuck around in the AMD driver control panel which is good, but everything still looks really weird in Firefox. All the text looks like it's in bold and the icons in the menu bar and whatnot look like they had a layer of Vaseline applied to them.

Aside from that, everything seems to work so far. What I need to do know is investigate if there's a way to create an actual install disc so I can wipe everything down and do a fresh install. Anyone know?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 20:36 

Bamba wrote:
Aside from that, everything seems to work so far. What I need to do know is investigate if there's a way to create an actual install disc so I can wipe everything down and do a fresh install. Anyone know?

The tool on the MS website lets you create installation media... but I'm not sure how that would work on an upgraded system. Would the "Reset" function in the Setting -> Update and Security not do the job just as well?

Having my Xbox Live Gamertag on my old MS account is causing problems, as I use my new account for everything else. A lot of things want me to sign into Xbox, and only a few give the option of using a different account. :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 21:03 
Esoteric

Cookie197 wrote:
Bamba wrote:

The tool on the MS website lets you create installation media... but I'm not sure how that would work on an upgraded system. Would the "Reset" function in the Setting -> Update and Security not do the job just as well?

Having my Xbox Live Gamertag on my old MS account is causing problems, as I use my new account for everything else. A lot of things want me to sign into Xbox, and only a few give the option of using a different account. :(

:this:

I upgraded first,then made a tool but you can burn a dvd apparently.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 21:08 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I'm having problems with my sound drivers. The wife is out tonight so I thought I'd have a nice peaceful night... well, I am... but it is sat in front of my PC downloading drivers. Not exactly fun.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 21:55 
Excellent Member

I want actual install media because I'm going to swap my HDD for an SSD so I don't want to have to install Windows 7 then upgrade to 10 all over again.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 21:58 
Future War Cultist

Location: Nottingham. Again. No, wait, I'm back in Manchester.
TheVision wrote:
I'm having problems with my sound drivers. The wife is out tonight so I thought I'd have a nice peaceful night... well, I am... but it is sat in front of my PC downloading drivers. Not exactly fun.

I'm getting clipping issues, and I can't work out why - is yours a similar problem?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 22:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Just.... Why?....

This genuinely isn't Schadenfreude or suchlike, I'm simply mystified as to why anyone would take a perfectly good computer and risk bollocksing it up with a brand new operating system that is inevitably going to have a fair amount of stuff wrong with it and not quite working properly.

(I see it a bit like firmware updates for your motherboard, unless it's fixing a problem you're experiencing, just leave it alone.)

It's not even like you have to get in early doors, the free upgrade offer is good for TWELVE MONTHS, why not just at least wait six of them for them to sort all the worst of the problems and the glitches and the bugs?

The one thing that I'm interested in (DirectX 12) may well show impressive gains in synthetic benchmarks in the here and now, but until it's making a difference to a game I want to play, even that won't get me to switch.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 22:13 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Just.... Why?....

This genuinely isn't Schadenfreude or suchlike, I'm simply mystified as to why anyone would take a perfectly good computer and risk bollocksing it up with a brand new operating system that is inevitably going to have a fair amount of stuff wrong with it and not quite working properly.

(I see it a bit like firmware updates for your motherboard, unless it's fixing a problem you're experiencing, just leave it alone.)

It's not even like you have to get in early doors, the free upgrade offer is good for TWELVE MONTHS, why not just at least wait six of them for them to sort all the worst of the problems and the glitches and the bugs?

The one thing that I'm interested in (DirectX 12) may well show impressive gains in synthetic benchmarks in the here and now, but until it's making a difference to a game I want to play, even that won't get me to switch.

Good for you. Some of us like playing with new shiny stuff.

Anyway, once I've got my Windows 10 disk image and do a clean install, what license key do I use? Will it activate with my Windows 7 key? That seems unlikely, but it's not like you're ever given a new one for Windows 10.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 22:27 

Bamba wrote:
Anyway, once I've got my Windows 10 disk image and do a clean install, what license key do I use? Will it activate with my Windows 7 key? That seems unlikely, but it's not like you're ever given a new one for Windows 10.

That's what I was wondering - your key is replaced by a "generic" upgrade key. I read somewhere that if you want to do a clean install, you have to first upgrade, activate, THEN do the clean install. So I'd assume you use the Win7 key, and when activating Microsoft will see "Oh, he's already gotten the upgrade, so the key's valid for use in 10." and then they'll replace it with the generic one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 22:45 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:

My job is techy, I'm paid to play with shiny new stuff, it's literally my job.

But you know where I do that? In development environments, not production environments. The development environments I don't care about, I can nuke them at will and try again if something goes wrong, once I'm happy something works in dev I'll move it over to live.

I consider my home PC to be a 'production environment', I just want to turn the thing on every day and for it work consistently and dependably, so that I can play games or email/internet/Facebook/whatever, or look at all the best pictures I've ever taken of my cock - it doesn't matter what the task is, I just want my PC to turn on and and obey.

So yes, by all means, if you've got a second PC to muck about with or an old laptop or something, go nuts with finishing Microsoft's beta test of Windows 10 - but if you're applying the 'probably going to break something' update to your main PC, I really do have to wonder why. Unless that thing where you talk to it was a feature you simply couldn't wait for.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 23:17 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Bamba wrote:

My job is techy, I'm paid to play with shiny new stuff, it's literally my job.

But you know where I do that? In development environments, not production environments. The development environments I don't care about, I can nuke them at will and try again if something goes wrong, once I'm happy something works in dev I'll move it over to live.

I consider my home PC to be a 'production environment', I just want to turn the thing on every day and for it work consistently and dependably, so that I can play games or email/internet/Facebook/whatever, or look at all the best pictures I've ever taken of my cock - it doesn't matter what the task is, I just want my PC to turn on and and obey.

So yes, by all means, if you've got a second PC to muck about with or an old laptop or something, go nuts with finishing Microsoft's beta test of Windows 10 - but if you're applying the 'probably going to break something' update to your main PC, I really do have to wonder why. Unless that thing where you talk to it was a feature you simply couldn't wait for.

This is going to be one of those times where you just say the same thing over and over again with slightly different phrasing. I suggest we skip straight to the part where we agree to disagree and both move on with our lives. Regardless of how you personally feel about this some of us are happy to give it a shot for the sake of checking it out. That's just what's happening; let it go.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 23:22 
Excellent Member

Cookie197 wrote:
Bamba wrote:

That's what I was wondering - your key is replaced by a "generic" upgrade key. I read somewhere that if you want to do a clean install, you have to first upgrade, activate, THEN do the clean install. So I'd assume you use the Win7 key, and when activating Microsoft will see "Oh, he's already gotten the upgrade, so the key's valid for use in 10." and then they'll replace it with the generic one.

Doing some more Googling I came across an article that said the licensing is handled by logging a profile of your machine with Microsoft when you initially do the upgrade and any future installs are activated based on that so it should just work (unless you swap out loads of hardware). I'm going to download an ISO tomorrow then try a fresh install with it on my SSD so I suppose we'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 23:28 
Bad Girl

My pooter (in fact, both of pooties) hasn't asked me to upgrade yet. It's like it knows.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 23:39 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
My pooter (in fact, both of pooties) hasn't asked me to upgrade yet. It's like it knows.

Did you actually tell it you wanted to?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 23:44 
Bad Girl

Yup. I've got that windows icon which brings up the box that says "Ok, tell me when it's ready" or words to that effect.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 23:48 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Da5e wrote:
TheVision wrote:

I'm getting clipping issues, and I can't work out why - is yours a similar problem?

Nope. Afraid not. My PC wasn't recognising my mic in Audacity so I reinstalled the drivers and it seems to be working now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:13 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:43 
Unpossible!

Jesus christ you maniacs, have you never heard of live and let live? I'm so happy that you're happy, but chill your boots, m'kay?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:00 
Hello Hello Hello

DavPaz wrote:
Jesus christ you maniacs, have you never heard of live and let live? I'm so happy that you're happy, but chill your boots, m'kay?

Since you've gone for the plural there I'll have to assume I'm being labelled a 'maniac' for exercising and advising caution in jumping knee deep into a brand new operating system on your main PC/laptop?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:10 
Unpossible!

Hng

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:16 
Unpossible!

What does it matter? If everyone else fucks their shit, your pc is still fine. We're all adults with robust backups, right guys?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:16 
Unpossible!

Right, guys?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:47 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Right on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:00 
Bad Girl

*weeps*

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:26 
Esoteric

DavPaz wrote:

It's just Hearthly I wouldn't worry about it. When a Aspie doesn't like something it's incredibly difficult to contain oneself and you inevitably end up offending people.

The answer is Pregabalin :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:34 
Esoteric

Da5e wrote:
TheVision wrote:

It doesn't work in gaming with my DAC running it USB. If I switch back to my sound card it's fine. It doesn't matter to me because I've just ordered the kit to make up good RCA cables so will be using the DAC in LINE mode as Dave recommended.

Ed. Other things !

Since changing my DNS to Google's server the issues I was having in Edge, Chrome (not tried since) and any browser other than Firefox have evaporated, leading me to believe there's an issue at PlusNet's end.. That has nothing to do with 10 though but obviously with tabs broken on Firefox I am forced to use Edge. I don't mind it and it matches the colour scheme for 10 that I chose (dark) but there is no Adblock for it at the time of me writing this (will check again in a minute).

So this is all fully working so far as tested apart from my USB DAC which stutters in GTAV and leads to being mute in game and inevitably crashes it. Once I switch back to my sound card though and use my speakers everything is A OK and I am beginning to think the sound device in my DAC was a bit of an afterthought any way.

Moving on to something else I don't like. I don't like how they have apparently removed "Open with". Yes, you can set defaults but I don't want defaults. On my DAC I have found that the sound is so honest that poorly ripped music sounds like pump. So I sometimes want to listen to my music using Winamp so that I can use the EQ to sort the sound out, but I am finding I have to open the app and then browse for the files which is a bit of a pain to me.

As for the nay sayers? at the end of the day I was promised the new Windows 7. As such (and because 8 was never no 7 in the way it was presented) that was a pretty big deal to me, as was DX 12. So the main obvious reason I switched from 8 to 10 was DX12 which let's face it, is a big fucking deal. So whether I made the switch now or around Christmas time (when apparently the first DX12 titles will roll out) makes no odds to me. I'm a gamer, and the biggest thing about Windows 10 is DX12 for me. Sure, I like the pretty layout and new bits and bobs (and if I'm feel particularly lazy or zoned out on meds Cortana) but the main lure was DX12.

AMD have basically dumped Mantle now, confining it to the archives, so the only way I will see the true performance of my AMD Fury X is in DX12 which according to AMD makes the card a complete nut case.

We shall see ! :)

Ed 2. Just clocked that "Groove" now plays FLAC out of the box with no codec needed which is rather nice.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 19:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Well the upgrade appears to be utterly fucked on my laptop, which is nice. Two hours of black screen and fans on full tilt. Sigh.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 19:35 
Unpossible!

Cras wrote:
Well the upgrade appears to be utterly fucked on my laptop, which is nice. Two hours of black screen and fans on full tilt. Sigh.

You've only got yourself to blame

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 19:36 
Hello Hello Hello

DavPaz wrote:
Cras wrote:

You've only got yourself to blame

That's the spirit!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 19:40 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:

Mine seemed to do that at some point and I ended up pulling the plug and rebooting the machine, at which point it carried on. I later remembered though my TV is set as the main monitor (not for any real reason, I've just never bothered to change it) so it might well have been happily trundling along on that display while I looked at the blank monitor. Although, initially at least, it was showing me progress on the monitor so even if that is what was going on it's inconsistent and confusing.

I've copied my license key down, backed up all my stuff and burned the disc ISO so at some point I'm going to do a fresh install to see if that fixes the problems I've got with being unable to access settings directly. Also, at the moment, when I switch between my monitor and TV I also need to manually switch the audio output from HDMI to the speakers whereas previously it just worked so that's kind of annoying. There are other things getting on my tits a bit (see list below) but those could be fixable once I get into the settings properly.

• Is the utterly fucking massive 'Search the web and Windows' box supposed to just sit there taking up shitloads of space on the taskbar for absolutely no reason at all?
  • I really want rid of the stupid language selector thing in the system tray but, y'know, I can't get into the related options.
  • I can't get rid of the OneDrive, Libraries and fucking Dropbox icons on the desktop. I expected to have to do this dance with the in-built MS stuff but Dropbox? They've really gone down in my estimation with this nonsense.
  • When I do my usual 'hit the Start key and start typing to search for stuff' it doesn't really work like it used to. It still finds applications okay but media on my machine just doesn't turn up. I've got my music and video folders added to the relevant libraries so they should still be getting indexed and certainly under Windows 7 they'd turn up in search results.
  • Text and icons in Firefox still looks really weird and fuzzy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 20:37 
Esoteric

My Alienware black screened too guys it seems to be pretty normal.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 20:41 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I had the black screen when I put a preview on the old surface and again, a restart kicked it on with no problems.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 20:51 
Excellent Member

Oh for fucks sake. From here:

Quote:
You upgraded to Windows 10 but didn't have a previous version or the correct edition of Windows installed (error 0xC004F061)

If you see error 0xC004F061 when you try to activate Windows 10, it means one of the following:

You're using a product key to upgrade to Windows 10 but no previous version of Windows was installed on your PC. To update, you need to have Windows 8 or Windows 7 already on your PC.

If you formatted or replaced your hard drive, you won't be able to use a product key to update to Windows 10. You'll need to install your previous version of Windows, then reinstall Windows 10.

So, no fresh install from an upgrade and every time you want to do that you need to go through the pointless bullshit step of installing your previous OS then upgrading. It makes absolutely sod all difference in the end so it's really just more hassle for the end user to no one's benefit. Pricks. It also makes me realise that at no point during the upgrade was I offered the choice to do a 'wipe' install; I thought that was meant to be an option?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 20:56 
Decapodian

I downloaded the ISO and got the choice to delete everything and start afresh when upgrading.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 23:36 
Can you dig it?

My friend's desktop PC showed the upgrade icon in the notification area yesterday. I was a little surprised, as it is a slightly-less-than legit copy of Win 7. Any temptation quickly disappeared as the CPU is not supported anyway.

Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next