Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 19:01 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 43352
Location: West Yorkshire
zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Abingdon?


Yip.


I used to live there. By the outboard motor shop on the river

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 0:40 
8-Bit Champion
User avatar
Two heads are better than one

Joined: 16th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13162
MaliA wrote:
I used to live there. By the outboard motor shop on the river


You will be glad to know your missing the annual 'stop anyone moving around in town for two days' and if you live anywhere nearby have a truck parked right outside your front door with a generator running (*)


(*) otherwise known as the Michaelmas fair


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:06 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 63790
Location: Your Mum
zaphod79 wrote:
your missing

Attachment:
gasp-disney-crossover-31270932-1808-1032.jpg


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:58 
8-Bit Champion
User avatar
Two heads are better than one

Joined: 16th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13162
:-)

(And hey the whole forum has been missing for hours this morning !)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 14:10 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 63790
Location: Your Mum
Yup - apparently my server is popular enough to get DDoS'd. Yay, I guess.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 14:12 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 50308
Location: Nottingham
Grim... wrote:
Yup - apparently my server is popular enough to get DDoS'd. Yay, I guess.

You've finally made it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:37 
User avatar
Paws for thought

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15855
Location: Just Outside That London, England, Europe
Grim... wrote:
Yup - apparently my server is popular enough to get DDoS'd. Yay, I guess.

Who did you piss off this time? Your impersonator? The Government? Dr Richard Gaywood? China? The Man?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:17 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 50308
Location: Nottingham
Big Finish are doing some interesting Doctor Who stuff at the moment. John Hurt is reprising his role as the War Doctor for 12 stories, and Paul McGann is starring in The Time War, due out 2017.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:57 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 33272
I've just started listening to The Girl On The Train.

Not at all what I was expecting, bu very intriguing. Looking forward to the drive home.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 14:57 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 1865
Ok, I'm a bit new to this audiobook game.

I loved the Alan Partridge books because they're read by Alan.

I enjoyed the Vic Reeves autobiography because it's read by Vic.

I enjoyed the Narnia books because they're recordings of BBC radio play versions of the books, with a full cast and other trappings.

Now, what I'm having trouble with is fiction. Is it typical for the reader to "do" the voices for all the characters? Because I started listening to Shantaram the other day, and while I found the aussie guy doing an Indian accent a little off-putting, I found him putting on a sultry female voice for the protagonist's love-interest absolutely ludicrous, and I had to stop listening and delete it. No way am I listening to 48 hours of that nonsense.

Is that normal? Or is it more common for voices to be read flatly, in a he said, she said, kind of way?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 15:07 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 33272
Generally, the reader will 'do' the voices.

Oddly, The Girl On The Train has multiple narrators, which is rare.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 15:09 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 50308
Location: Nottingham
Yeah, I can't get on with audiobooks like that. It's full audio plays or GTFO.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 15:12 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 33272
I think that's one of the reasons I like the Dresden Files audio books. James Marsters is an actor, not a narrator.

I can't tolerate the discworld audio books after the first two because of the awful voices, sadly


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 15:14 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 33272
The worst one by far was the Dragonlance opener, Dragons of autumn Twilight. The guy reading that didn't even try. They would have got better reading from a voice synthesizer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:04 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 33272
Is The Wheel of Time worth getting on Audible. I've never read the books, so I was interested in spending my next credit on something epic.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 13:06 
8-Bit Champion
User avatar
Two heads are better than one

Joined: 16th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13162
DavPaz wrote:
I think that's one of the reasons I like the Dresden Files audio books. James Marsters is an actor, not a narrator.

I can't tolerate the discworld audio books after the first two because of the awful voices, sadly


Try one of the later ones

There are two types of Discworld audio , the abridged versions are all read by Tony Robinson (and are normally only about 2 hours or so)- the full unabridged early ones are read by either Nigel Planer , or Celia Imrie

At one point they changed and had them all read by Stephen Briggs (friend of Terry and the person who adapted a lot of the books for the stage) , he still 'does the voices' as such but they sound a lot better (to me at least) - from a quick search it looks like he took over around book 24 (The Fifth Elephant) so give one of the later ones a try.

There are some dramatizations but they do tend to be very abridged and you lose a lot from them (the radio 4 version of "The Amazing Maurice" is one of the better ones out there).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 13:09 
8-Bit Champion
User avatar
Two heads are better than one

Joined: 16th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13162
This

http://nerdist.com/tons-of-doctor-who-a ... to-stream/

Might also be of use to some of you - list (with links) to a lot of the Big Finish Doctor Who stories which you can stream free on Spotify


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 14:50 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 46249
DavPaz wrote:
Is The Wheel of Time worth getting on Audible. I've never read the books, so I was interested in spending my next credit on something epic.


WoT starts great, but is ruined by Jordan's terrible prose and inability to advance a plot for most of the second half, then picks up hugely when Brendon Sanderson takes over. I don't know how much it being an audiobook would help with the interminable books 4-8 stretch, but it might be a big improvement.

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 15:27 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14488
An audiobook of a tedious book would probably just make it worse, if anything. It's not like you can really skim read.

Ones I've enjoyed lately have been:

Sapiens

and the follow-up

Homo Deus: A Bried History Of Tomorrow

American Gods, which is a fantastic version of Gaiman's preferred text and with a full cast.

Ready Player One, read just by Wil Wheaton but it just having a single narrator didn't bother me at all.

Currently just started listening to Neverwhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 17:59 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 1865
That American Gods audiobook sounds sexy.

I got Le Carre's Smiley series as radio plays recently, and it benefits so much from having a full cast. Smiley is played brilliantly too, a truly down-trodden, intelligent, world-wearied man. Highly recommended.

I can also recommend Louis Theroux revisiting his weird weekends. Fascinating stuff. But he does the voices. And when the voice is a pimp saying "And then I let that bitch slide up and down on my dick" (or something to that effect), it's teeth grindingly awful/brilliant.

Honestly, I don't know why his publisher didn't tell him to ditch the voices. But it's worth listening to.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 21:41 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 33272
I'm about halfway through Ready Player One, as read by Will Wheaton. It's the most amazingly geeky, fantasy wish fulfilment, pile of nonsense I've ever 'read'.

Very enjoyable.

Also, when Wheaton does a 'grown up' voice, he sounds just like Tim Allen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 15:15 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14488
Yeah it's undemanding but really good fun.

Currently listening to Doug Stanhope's "Digging Up Mother" which is fucking brilliant as an audiobook.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 15:21 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 1865
markg wrote:
Yeah it's undemanding but really good fun.

Currently listening to Doug Stanhope's "Digging Up Mother" which is fucking brilliant as an audiobook.


I tired a little of it by the end. His dull-voiced mates were doing too much of the narration as he was too sozzled to carry on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 15:33 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14488
Yeah, a bit maybe, I'm nearly at the end and really enjoyed it, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:37 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14488
Talking books that have accompanied me on my ramblings and runnings lately have been, Children Of Time and We Are Legion (We Are Bob). Children Of Time was a space opera and a good one at that, definitely worth the time. I'm about halfway through We Are Legion which is more of a romp and loads of fun so far.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:28 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14488
Ended up listening to all three of these "Bobiverse" books. They started off strong but each one was better than the last and I actually loved them by the end.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 16:23 
User avatar
I forgot about this - how vain

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 5968
markg wrote:
Talking books that have accompanied me on my ramblings and runnings lately have been, Children Of Time and We Are Legion (We Are Bob). Children Of Time was a space opera and a good one at that, definitely worth the time. I'm about halfway through We Are Legion which is more of a romp and loads of fun so far.


Loved Children of Time when I read it. So, very good!

Bought We are Legion a while back, but never got round to listenting to it. Started because of your recommendation and I'm really enjoying it.

I was put off because I'm wary of the somewhat new trend of[i] 'science fiction geek authors, writing science fiction that only references science fiction because they've only read science fiction, and all their characters are science fiction geeks that keep talking" and it boggles my mind it's getting big directors adapting it all*.

But half way through Bobiverse 1 and it's managed to side step (most of) that. It's just great fun. Addictive and I'm enjoying every second.


* e.g. The Martian, Ready Player One etc.

_________________
Curiosity wrote:
The Rev Owen wrote:
Is there a way to summon lave?

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 16:25 
User avatar
I forgot about this - how vain

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 5968
Findus Fop wrote:
Ok, I'm a bit new to this audiobook game.

I loved the Alan Partridge books because they're read by Alan.

I enjoyed the Vic Reeves autobiography because it's read by Vic.

I enjoyed the Narnia books because they're recordings of BBC radio play versions of the books, with a full cast and other trappings.

Now, what I'm having trouble with is fiction. Is it typical for the reader to "do" the voices for all the characters? Because I started listening to Shantaram the other day, and while I found the aussie guy doing an Indian accent a little off-putting, I found him putting on a sultry female voice for the protagonist's love-interest absolutely ludicrous, and I had to stop listening and delete it. No way am I listening to 48 hours of that nonsense.

Is that normal? Or is it more common for voices to be read flatly, in a he said, she said, kind of way?


The unabridged His Dark Materials Books have Pullman as the narrator and a cast for the main parts. It's brilliant.

_________________
Curiosity wrote:
The Rev Owen wrote:
Is there a way to summon lave?

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 16:28 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 63790
Location: Your Mum
Clearly pulpy military scifi with a teenager's sense of humour is where it's at.

Ahem.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Audiobooks RMD
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 17:17 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14488
Dr Lave wrote:
markg wrote:
Talking books that have accompanied me on my ramblings and runnings lately have been, Children Of Time and We Are Legion (We Are Bob). Children Of Time was a space opera and a good one at that, definitely worth the time. I'm about halfway through We Are Legion which is more of a romp and loads of fun so far.


Loved Children of Time when I read it. So, very good!

Bought We are Legion a while back, but never got round to listenting to it. Started because of your recommendation and I'm really enjoying it.

I was put off because I'm wary of the somewhat new trend of[i] 'science fiction geek authors, writing science fiction that only references science fiction because they've only read science fiction, and all their characters are science fiction geeks that keep talking" and it boggles my mind it's getting big directors adapting it all*.

But half way through Bobiverse 1 and it's managed to side step (most of) that. It's just great fun. Addictive and I'm enjoying every second.

Yeah there are occasional nerdy references but they're only really ever asides, jokes about naming things etc. I loved all the hard scifi stuff about these space battles sometimes over in less than the blink of an eye having occurred at relativistic speeds, the time dilation, "frame-jacking". I just thought it was all pretty clever but not in your face clever. There's some pretty deep stuff in there but it somehow never felt contrived.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pod People and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.