Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 131  Next
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:12 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
asfish wrote:
Getting Irish passports for my kids, they can get these no issues as my wife holds one.

Unless you travel with the kids without your wife. Be prepared to answer a lot of questions.

When we flew back from New York, the missus was questioned because her ticket was in her maiden name, but her passport was in her married name. It was our honeymoon.

We get some questions already, the kids have UK passports, on the application, it asks for parents passports numbers but only UK passports are applicable. So my wife has to take a birth certificate if traveling with them alone in the EU as there is no record aside from this to link her to the kids.

We always travel as a family in the EU so we just all go up together at UK passport control and explain.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:13 

markg wrote:
What do you mean that she "opted for the hardest possible Brexit"?

The logic of her 'red lines' in the Lancaster House speech last year (no single market; no customs union; no role for the ECJ) essentially mean that we have to become a third country.

Quote:
As far as I can tell (which is not really very far) she seems to be just bungling her way through from one disaster to the next with no clear plan and hoping that the outcome will be some sort of a fudge.

Given how much we've already rolled over (remember the 'fight of the summer' that was resolved in two minutes by us saying 'yes'), an extended transition and fudge does feel likely. There's no way we can avoid a hard border with Ireland otherwise. But I have no confidence in their endgame or current approach.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:16 

asfish wrote:
What happens with current EU passports after we leave though? Mine was renewed last year so is good to 2027. Will I get EU movement for this time or will I have any restrictions that come with our exit in 2019?

We get to join the slow queue and enjoy the benefits of being a free nation whilst waiting for hours with the rest of the world.

Quote:
Getting Irish passports for my kids, they can get these no issues as my wife holds one.

I need to finish off gathering documents. Getting a notarised copy of my mother's passport and one of mine is the main delay for me at the moment. But it shouldn't be necessary and I'm disgusted that nobody in Parliament or the media (outside of the odd James O'Brien rant) seem to realise that losing the rights to travel, live, work, love, and study freely across the continent is a massive reduction of our freedom.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:16 

DavPaz wrote:

When we flew back from New York, the missus was questioned because her ticket was in her maiden name, but her passport was in her married name. It was our honeymoon.

Don’t ever do this, everyone else. These days she wouldn’t have gotten on the plane. There’s no “we’re on our honeymoon” pass for having mismatched passenger data.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:21 
Comfortably Dumb

markg wrote:

I'm all for mitigating the disaster that they have wrought but a country is more than an economy and when I think it through I'm coming to believe that outright avoiding Brexit altogether would more damaging than going ahead. The divisions and hatred that these fucking clowns brought to the surface with their idiotic referendum would just get so much worse.

I'd naively hoped that by now, more brexiters would have seen the light since the referendum. I've still yet to see a single good reason for leaving whereas the list of potential negatives just pile up. And yet they stubbornly stick to their guns. I'm not sure what would convince them - even if Farage and Boris would to release a statement saying 'look, we were wrong.. Brexit is going to be a disaster', these folk will still blindly go on about the will of the people.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:25 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
asfish wrote:
What happens with current EU passports after we leave though? Mine was renewed last year so is good to 2027. Will I get EU movement for this time or will I have any restrictions that come with our exit in 2019?

We get to join the slow queue and enjoy the benefits of being a free nation whilst waiting for hours with the rest of the world.

Quote:

I need to finish off gathering documents. Getting a notarised copy of my mother's passport and one of mine is the main delay for me at the moment. But it shouldn't be necessary and I'm disgusted that nobody in Parliament or the media (outside of the odd James O'Brien rant) seem to realise that losing the rights to travel, live, work, love, and study freely across the continent is a massive reduction of our freedom.

2 copies, please, bill me half.

Agree with the rest.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:42 
Unpossible!

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Don’t ever do this, everyone else. These days she wouldn’t have gotten on the plane. There’s no “we’re on our honeymoon” pass for having mismatched passenger data.

It took some persuading. Weirdly, we were fine flying out, going through US immigration and leaving the US. It was only returning to the UK that caused a problem. Side note, the US border patrol guy was awesome. The perfect guy to be greeting new arrivals.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:50 
Excellent Member

Kern wrote:
asfish wrote:

Quote:

Looking at it, our kids get an Irish passport no issue, as their mother is a citizen.

Not sure I get one that easily though, I meet some criteria such as over 3 years marriage but not lived there for any length of time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

DavPaz wrote:
Side note, the US border patrol guy was awesome. The perfect guy to be greeting new arrivals.

The worst border control experience I ever had was Canada. I got the proper third degree, questioning ever place I planned to visit and why I hadn't booked a package tour.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:07 

Cras wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Side note, the US border patrol guy was awesome. The perfect guy to be greeting new arrivals.

The worst border control experience I ever had was Canada. I got the proper third degree, questioning ever place I planned to visit and why I hadn't booked a package tour.

Heh. I once had a tricky conversation trying to convince a Canadian border guy that I didn't particularly want to visit Canada, I just had to change planes there. The particular airport I was in didn't have a transit corridor.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:24 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I once went to Riga in Lativa for a work trip - the passport guy was all smiles and happy and politeness and I went through with my British passport in about 5 secs. My colleague, directly behind me, had a Russian passport and got a VERY different reception from the same chap. Scowls and about 5 mins of very abrupt questions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 13:01 
Hibernating Druid

Don't expect Japanese border control guards to see the funny side if Cadburys Cream eggs rolls out of your packed shoes in a baggage inspection.

I've never tried to keep a straight face as much as I did then.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 13:59 
Prince of Fops

"In a shoe."

The response Cadbury's never expected.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 14:07 
Hello Hello Hello

When me and Mrs Hearthly were returning home from our honeymoon in Florida (this would be September 1998), the guy at the airport (Orlando?) where you put your bags on the conveyor belt and show your tickets asked all the usual questions and there was one about is there anything dangerous in there (or however they phrase the question).

Because I'm an idiot I jokily said, 'Oh just a bomb we've made'.

The chap laughed but then gave me a friendly telling off saying that we could get in trouble for that, and I shouldn't say it again.

Then he let us carry on through boarding and wished us a pleasant flight.

YES OBVIOUSLY I WOULDN'T SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT THESE DAYS, but there was no terrorism in 1998 unless the IRA count.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 14:15 
Unpossible!

It was only funny because you're white ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 14:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Pretty sure the IRA count. Also, like, the Unabomber, who tried to smuggle a bomb onto a plane in his luggage, but okay.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 14:29 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 14:53 
Hello Hello Hello

Cras wrote:
Pretty sure the IRA count.

They blew up me and Mrs Hearthly's favourite pub in Manchester. That's when terrorism got real for us.

(We'd actually been in it the day before, they had a ST:TNG pinball and a Big Breakfast fruit machine downstairs, and a Crystal Maze SWP upstairs. I can't even bear to think of what happened to them.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 15:18 

Hearthly wrote:
Because I'm an idiot I jokily said, 'Oh just a bomb we've made'.
The chap laughed but then gave me a friendly telling off saying that we could get in trouble for that, and I shouldn't say it again.
Then he let us carry on through boarding and wished us a pleasant flight.

Seriously? Well, that doesn't really speak very highly of their security protocols does it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 15:18 

Hearthly wrote:
(We'd actually been in it the day before, they had a ST:TNG pinball ... I can't even bear to think of what happened to them.)

It boldly went where no pinball machine had gone before.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 15:35 
Gogmagog

Seems they will publish the studies. Lolz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:13 

Anna Soubry gave a pretty firery speech yesterday. Worth reading in full. I particularly like this bit:

Quote:
I see it in these terms. I think there is a group of people—the hard Brexiteers—and you are not going to change them. In my party, my Government believe that somehow they can “manage” the 35 hard Brexiteers, who for decades have been banging on about Europe in ​a way that I think is not, at times, particularly good for their mental health—and they think they can “manage” them. They cannot be managed. Even if they were given what they wanted today, they would complain that it had not been done yesterday. For many of them it is a battle to the death, and they will not hesitate to destroy this party or our Prime Minister to get what they want. They can see the prize and they will be damned if anybody is going to get in their way. The Government need to wake up to that reality.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:49 

And, a few hours later, she follows up with a knowing brick joke during the debate on vacating the Palace of Westminster for rebuilding:

Anna Soubry wrote:
I say a huge thank you to my right hon. Friend and her team for all their excellent work, but does she not agree that the time for talking is over? We have to grasp this, do the right thing, and—I cannot believe I am going to say this—but in this instance, in supporting amendment (b), absolutely everybody vote leave.

She's fast becoming my second favourite Tory. After Cavey, obviously.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:35 

:DD :luv:

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:26 

I have just read his speech and I'd like to drink whatever Lord Saatchi has been drinking:

Quote:
So far in this debate, we have certainly been presented with many nightmare scenarios. So now, as we approach the end, perhaps I may paint your Lordships a picture, if you will allow me, of the dream scenario: a happy ending to the story.​

So I bring your Lordships joyous news. It is a photo opportunity to be shared in social media and across all TVs, all platforms, all devices all over the world. It immediately goes viral and is downloaded 1.2 billion times in 43 seconds—a global media sensation. There are three people in the picture: German Chancellor Merkel, French President Macron and, standing between them and slightly in front of them, British Prime Minister Theresa May. The backdrop is the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Chancellor Merkel speaks first. She says: “Today, every citizen of Europe gives thanks to British Prime Minister May for this historic agreement, signed by us, which guarantees the peace, prosperity and security of all the people of Europe”. A spectacular fireworks display then illuminates the Eiffel Tower and the whole of the sky above Paris is dazzling red, white and blue

... and it gets weirder and weirder.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:31 
UltraMod

That could be possible. If we withdraw article 50.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:53 

Interesting thread (click through to read it all)

https://twitter.com/samcoatestimes/stat ... 6579155974

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 13:19 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Kern wrote:
I have just read his speech and I'd like to drink whatever Lord Saatchi has been drinking

Wow, that's quite something.

Quote:
She is voted one of the greatest Prime Ministers of all time, and a grateful nation erects a bronze statue of her in Parliament Square.

Yes. This is definitely going to happen. 100% certain.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:56 

Crying

https://twitter.com/michaelpdeacon/stat ... 2406001664

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 13:31 
UltraMod

Incredible

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 23:23 

Jesus wept

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/9 ... 5227459593

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 16:52 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Jesus wept

He had a bad experience with referendums too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 17:22 

I’m incredibly anxious about a lot of other things at the moment, which always piques my upset at stuff like this, but I am so, so annoyed by the continuing, decades old acceptance of absolute shits treating anyone with less privilege/money/social standing like dirt on the basis that they are funny old sorts of folk, and they are ‘a character’. So much British comedy is built on the basis of ‘silly old rich person sneers at those with less’ but paints them as a loveable, out of touch person, rather than contemptuous twit, and that’s carried right on through to politics. The stereotype English Upper Class eccentric is seen as laughable and harmless, and then you have individuals like Rees-Mogg and Johnson that use this as a cloak to be evil bastards.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:52 
Gogmagog

So, uh, taking back control, eh? No customs union. This is a farce.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:57 

MaliA wrote:
So, uh, taking back control, eh? No customs union. This is a farce.

So we're back to having a border in Northern Ireland. It's almost as if they're making it up as they go along to get the right headline in the right-wing papers and keep a minority of backbenchers happy. Oh, hang on...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 18:44 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Note that they haven’t ruled out an absolute customs and worldwide tariff free trade utopia for the UK. At that point the issue of customs is an issue that they are placing the issue of a border into the EU court.

They’re not thinking of that though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 19:20 

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Note that they haven’t ruled out an absolute customs and worldwide tariff free trade utopia for the UK..

The farmers would love that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 19:30 

The government's own studies suggest the strongest Brexit regions will be the hardest hit (Guardian report), but nobody comes out particuarly well. So of course we're going to carry on regardless.

This stuff isn't good for us. Here's a Giphy of bears partying to cheer us up:

Giphy "bears partying":
https://media3.giphy.com/media/vO7eadDFEZm80/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 19:30 

Not the bears I was expecting, Giphy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 19:43 
UltraMod

Kern wrote:
Not the bears I was expecting, Giphy.

Just admit you're a furry and we can all get on with our lives.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 19:51 

Kern wrote:
The government's own studies suggest the strongest Brexit regions will be the hardest hit

Maybe there's some truth in the Just World fallacy after all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 19:51 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Kern wrote:
The government's own studies suggest the strongest Brexit regions will be the hardest hit

Maybe there's some truth in the Just World fallacy after all.

:DD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 19:58 

I mean, I know it's mean spirited, but I don't have a lot left other than this faded, ragged schadenfreude.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 20:13 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I mean, I know it's mean spirited, but I don't have a lot left other than this faded, ragged schadenfreude.

It seems every political conversation I have these days turns Brexit and dies. And to think we used to worry about Jacqui Smith.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 20:46 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Yeah it's a really fucking shitty attitude.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 20:48 

I deserve all I get though I suppose for living somewhere that more people voted leave.

Get fucked.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 21:03 
UltraMod

markg wrote:
I deserve all I get though I suppose for living somewhere that more people voted leave.

Get fucked.

It's no different than me living in a place where we voted remain. We're still leaving. :shrug:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 21:08 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

markg wrote:

Get fucked.

Having schadenfreude for those leavers bitten by their own pet snake doesn't mean you feel that others in the same areas deserve what they get. In any way at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 21:22 

Cras wrote:
markg wrote:

Get fucked.

Having schadenfreude for those leavers bitten by their own pet snake doesn't mean you feel that others in the same areas deserve what they get. In any way at all.

Except that the posts preceding it suggest that the schaudenfreude is being felt for residents of geographical areas rather than the individuals who did, or did not, vote for the change.

And of course it’s far more complex than that. Especially in low affluence areas that may have already been given a rough deal, falsely and unfairly sold an idea of change and fairness, with false bogeymen writ large on the front of shit newspapers. Class, education, affluence... they all played a part, but the shit media preyed on the fears and inequalities towards those with less (less money, less power, and usually less of a voice), and those will be tge people who suffer the most. Poor people in low affluence areas.

And it’s hard to feel scaudenfreude when those who have the money and the power, and those who pushed the lies, will be completely fine.

Xenophobia, racism... they’re evils in the world, and they played a massive part. But though I am angry at those that bought into the fear and hatred, I’m far more angry towards those who sell it, and they are not these people.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 21:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Feeling anger at the villains of the piece and feeling schadenfreude at the foolish who made it happen aren't in the least mutually exclusive.

Reply to topic  [ 6503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 131  Next