Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 131  Next
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:30 

He's immediately followed by Tory Baroness Altmann, who is equally pessimistic:

Quote:
We are here to take note of the ongoing discussions—not negotiations, just discussions—taking place within the EU following our Article 50 notification. Why are we noting anything about discussions? The EU has made it clear that negotiations are over, on terms agreed and signed off by the Prime Minister and our team. What are we to make of this? We seem determined to break bonds with our nearest neighbours, to all our costs. We persist with apparently running down the clock, threatening no deal up to the last day, expecting the ​EU to cave in to whatever we demand. It is just not going to happen.
I cannot believe that the principles of the Conservative Party—pragmatism, supporting business and jobs—are being sacrificed on the altar of an ideological fantasy, with its sacred duty to break 40 years of success. We have reckless brinkmanship and there is a reliance on railroading Parliament into acquiescence, even with the prospect of no deal. The path we are on is conducted by people who have got everything wrong so far about Brexit, about how the EU works and about how international trade operates.
The only aim seems to be to leave the EU, whatever the cost.

I probably could have quoted the whole speech.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:34 

And finally, a little bit of class war:

Lord Lea of Crondall (Labour) wrote:
The noble Lord [Cavendish, Con] refers to things we have not earned. Since he owns 17,000 acres, can he explain how come that is his main critique of the other party in this House?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 14:01 

Another day, another Commons debate on how we might leave. Wouldn't it have been a better idea to hold these debates before invoking Article 50?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 14:31 

We're a laughing stock.

Guardian: Project Fur: Brexit is a big blue monster, say the Dutch

Quote:
The Netherlands foreign minister, Stef Blok, tweeted a picture on Thursday of himself with the enormous Muppet-like creature lying in front of him in a white T-shirt emblazoned with the word “Brexit” in big red letters.
“Have you checked what consequences Brexit has for you or your company?” asked Blok, his arms lifted in mock exasperation and a somewhat unconvincing look of frustration on his face. “Make sure Brexit doesn’t get – or lie – in your way.”

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:59 
Hello Hello Hello

Decent opinion piece by Polly Toynbee today.

I don't think I've been as consistently angry and worried about anything, ever, in my entire life.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... eal-brexit

Quote:
In the real world, the tearing of hair among businesses trying to mitigate unknowable risks grows louder every day. Ian Wright, the head of the food and drinks federation, lets rip on behalf of his members: “Do these politicians think they’ll get away with blaming this on the EU when the day comes? When prices rise, shelves are emptying, the great British public will know who’s to blame.” He talks of companies that long ago ordered shipments of sugar and other faraway goods, with no idea if tariffs will be sky-high or zero when they arrive after 29 March. If zero, much of British food, farming and agriculture will collapse under cheap imports; if on WTO rules, they face hefty tariffs on processed food, cereals and meat.

Latest on his desk: what to do about packaging printed “Made in the EU”? No one in Whitehall can tell them how packs should be marked. Wright says most of his companies “aren’t the sort who think much about politics. But they do now.” He is incandescent. If Brexit fallout propels politicians out of politics, he warns: “If they think they can sail into jobs in business, they can think again. No company will employ them. In interviews they’ll be asked about Brexit: ‘What did you do in the great war, Daddy?’” He says one in eight of his members fear they will go to the wall in a no-deal Brexit, so he speaks with their authentic outrage.

Boris Johnson’s “fuck business” said it all. Some day, those recording angels will have the names and count the losses. Thanks to Soubry, we shall soon know what the cabinet knows.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 21:00 

Sunlit uplands!

Porsche is asking its British customers placing orders to sign a contract committing them to paying a 10% surcharge if there's a no-deal Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -surcharge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 21:10 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

I miss cavey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 22:45 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

The EU charges about 10% on imported cars, so I assume they've come to that number by assuming the UK keeps the existing rates. It appears that the goverment hasnt published its proposed tariff rates so no one actually knows what they will be.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 22:48 
Decapodian

Squirt wrote:
The EU charges about 10% on imported cars, so I assume they've come to that number by assuming the UK keeps the existing rates. It appears that the goverment hasnt published its proposed tariff rates so no one actually knows what they will be.

10% is the WTO rate which will apply in no-deal as a worst case.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 23:15 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

But we could, presumably, set whatever rate we wanted. We might set a 100% rate on cars, either through some strange attempt to prop up the uk car industry or because Liam Fox mistyped a decimal point. Admittedly we'd piss off everyone else in the world if we did, but I'm not sure that would stop us.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 15:08 
Gogmagog

Check out @SkyNewsBreak’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status ... 6755203074

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 21:32 
Gogmagog

The government should reach an agreement with the car maker in Swindon. They could call it the Honda Accord

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 21:34 
Can you dig it?

The journey to that conclusion would no doubt be long, and eventful; something of an epic tale.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 21:43 
ugvm'er at heart...

MaliA wrote:
The government should reach an agreement with the car maker in Swindon. They could call it the Honda Accord

It's their civic duty.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 21:55 
Unpossible!

Sir Taxalot wrote:
The journey to that conclusion would no doubt be long, and eventful; something of an epic tale.

If it were too epic, there would have to be a prelude

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 22:01 
Decapodian

DavPaz wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:

I can’t Beat that one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 22:03 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:

That would be confusing because it's also the name of one of their cars.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 22:14 
Unpossible!

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:

I can’t Beat that one.

You could Jazz it up a bit?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 22:16 
Prince of Fops

Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:

That would be confusing because it's also the name of one of their cars.

Top Marx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 22:21 
Decapodian

DavPaz wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:

I can’t Beat that one.

Any Insight on how I could achieve that?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 23:44 
SavyGamer

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:

I can’t Beat that one.

Any Insight on how I could achieve that?

CRV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 0:20 
Rude Belittler

You could live in Essex.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:07 

Meanwhile, it was open-mic night in the House of Lords:

Quote:
Lord Dykes (CB):

Surely the Government could also do something useful at the moment, such as sending Ministers to urgent anti-self-harm corrective therapy sessions. However, should they not also now promise the House to extend Article 50 and start preparing for a people’s vote as well in case things go wrong on 27 February?

Lord Callanan:

I can tell the noble Lord that, instead of sending Ministers to self-help therapy sessions, we are sending them to Brussels.

A noble Lord:

It is the same thing.

Giphy "audience laughter":
https://media0.giphy.com/media/65CdvijWgQxfuDHAyS/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 14:16 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I get the impression Kern will appreciate all the arguments amongst the Tories at the moment regarding tariffs on agricultural imports. 1846 all over again!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 14:21 
Gogmagog

Squirt wrote:
I get the impression Kern will appreciate all the arguments amongst the Tories at the moment regarding tariffs on agricultural imports. 1846 all over again!

I am not.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 14:45 

Squirt wrote:

I don't remember that working out well for them. Or indeed for the Irish.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 15:33 
UltraMod

My car insurance provider has just emailed me the process of applying for a green card, which is what I’ll need if I want to drive in Europe post-Brexit. Yay!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 19:03 
ugvm'er at heart...

Lonewolves wrote:
My car insurance provider has just emailed me the process of applying for a green card, which is what I’ll need if I want to drive in Europe post-Brexit. Yay!

The process should be "hey insurer, send me my green card"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 19:08 

There is a letter in the most recent 'New European' on this very point. The correspondent notes that it took 10 minutes to get his, and 15 for his wife's, adding that whilst the £5.50 provided "good entertainment" as the clerk date-stamped various parts, he didn't think his post office could cope with any increased demand.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 22:41 
Soopah red DS

There is a lot of stamping. Multiple round the pictures. It's quite comical.

Probably won't be asked for, either - I took an IDP when travelling, because Australia (among others) can ask for one, but they didn't, and that's with renting three times. It's meant to be more likely if your licence is not in English, but given the IDP is also in English, I can't see how that affects it in Europe (i.e., it's not like it's going to be more trusted by a non-English reading French firm).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 23:01 
Can you dig it?

JBR wrote:
I took an IDP when travelling, because Australia (among others) can ask for one, but they didn't, and that's with renting three times.

Can they? Ooops, I drove on my English license out here for about 4 or 5 years (including buying and renting cars), even after I became a permanent resident and should technically have got a proper Aus license.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 0:09 
Soopah red DS

Sir Taxalot wrote:
JBR wrote:
I took an IDP when travelling, because Australia (among others) can ask for one, but they didn't, and that's with renting three times.

Can they? Ooops, I drove on my English license out here for about 4 or 5 years (including buying and renting cars), even after I became a permanent resident and should technically have got a proper Aus license.

The language seems to be 'recommended' and that it's a technical possibility. I suspect it is long-since forgotten, at least for people with a licence in English. I suppose with Europe then publicity might be a bit greater, so more chance that it'll become policy to ask for it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:11 

Yesterday's Scottish questions in the Commons (including a bonus Bercow):

Quote:
Mr Speaker:
Order. There is something wrong with the microphone. It is very unusual. I have never been unable previously to hear the hon. Gentleman, but what I would say is blurt it out with vim, man!

Pete Wishart (Perth & North Perthshire, SNP):
I am, Mr Speaker. What does the Secretary of State have to say to the young people of Scotland who, because of his Tory Brexit, will be denied the rights and opportunities to live, work and love across the continent of Europe?

David Mundell (Secretary of State for Scotland):
The hon. Gentleman gives a solid reason why he and his colleagues should support the Prime Minister’s deal, which sets out those very issues. Instead, he would far rather have no deal and set about the chaos and disruption that he believes would further the cause of independence.

This isn't answering the question. It isn't even attempting to answer the question. A better attempt to answer this question could be given through the medium of dance. I have seen Jackson Pollack splatter paintings with a clearer and more defined sense of form and purpose. Utter waste of time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:23 
ugvm'er at heart...

You should start a blog or something, dude. I love your little vignettes you pull out and share.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:47 

:this:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:01 
Prince of Fops

:this:

It should feature a photo of you shaking your fist at the Houses of Parliament. You can call the blog: Kernsard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:52 

Thanks guys. Quite like the idea of a Kernsard blog.

I mostly flick through Hansard to see if there's any debates on matters of interest ('Dog Meat in the UK' anyone) and to kill a few idle minutes. Sometimes little exchanges stick out and amuse me.

I'm well aware that chamber proceedings are mostly theatre, with the real politics happening in the corridors and meeting rooms, but the business is still important nonetheless and pulling out the lighter moments helps humanise these people.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 14:13 
INFINITE POWAH

Kernsard is a great idea - I check this thread every day to get my UK politics news :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 15:02 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Giphy "kerns political blog":
https://media0.giphy.com/media/ugqxRq0abATo4/giphy-loop.mp4

Nothing for "kernsard", sadly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:50 
Can you dig it?

Kern wrote:

Maybe wait until after the Brexit food predicament/worry has passed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:28 

oh my god

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status ... 5490767872

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:40 
SavyGamer

What we are doing now is "whatever it takes to survive as PM for the rest of the day".

Then waking up and doing the same thing again.

Over and over.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:00 

Whilst it's positive that Labour now support a public vote on the deal, albeit once their other options have been exhausted, the Beatles re-unite, and Dozmary Pool's been emptied with a holey bucket, right now I can't see a majority for it given the number of Labour MPs in Leave-marginals. But, progress of a sort.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:15 

This is fun!

https://medium.com/@andyblatch64/in-les ... 26bc7c226e

Quote:
In less than 2 years the UK will be leaving the EU becoming a third country. I am looking in this blog at wooden packing requirements as a third country exporting to the EU. These standards include wooden packing cases and in particular wooden pallets which everyone uses. This is entirely separate from what is in or on that packaging.

The EU requires all imports that have wooden packaging from third countries to conform to ISPM 15 standard http://www.ispm15.com as set out in http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ ... 32004L0102

Currently as the UK is trading within the single market shippers do not have to conform to this standard. If you export to the single market you can use less strict standards as set out by HMRC https://www.gov.uk/wood-packaging-import-export , in reality it means in practice you can use any old pallet that is laying about as there is no control point that checks this requirement.

TWO YEARS LATER

https://www.businessinsider.com/brexit- ... ?r=US&IR=T

Quote:
The UK government is due to hold emergency talks with industry leaders today after discovering that the country doesn't have the right pallets to continue exporting goods to the European Union if it crashes out without a deal next month.

Pallets are wooden or plastic structures which companies use to transport large volumes of goods. Under strict European Union rules, pallets arriving from non-member countries must be heat-treated or cleaned to prevent contamination, and marked to confirm they meet a series of EU rules.

Most pallets currently used by British exporters do not conform to these rules meaning that British export business could potentially grind to a halt next month in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

DEFRA last week confirmed to industry leaders that the United Kingdom will not have even close to enough EU-approved pallets for companies to use for exporting to the EU after a potential no-deal exit.

This means that UK companies would be in competition for a small number of pallets which meet EU rules, while those that missed out would be forced to wait for new pallets, which could take weeks to be ready.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:18 

This whole episode, whilst horrifying to witness, has at least been very educational.

But we should worry about pallet supplies. They burn so well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

We'll need those non-heat treated pallets for warmth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:54 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

The recursive, fractal nature of the Brexit Screw Up has a certain beautiful elegance to it. Every little bit of it is exactly as messed up as the whole, just on a smaller scale.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 17:51 
ugvm'er at heart...

Cras wrote:
We'll need those non-heat treated pallets for warmth

Burning the treated pallets will keep you warm for the rest of life.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:54 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... h_2019.pdf

Quote:
The Government’s primary aim is to ensure that the UK leaves the EU on 29 March
with a negotiated deal which will honour the result of the referendum. However, as
a responsible government...

Quote:
as a responsible government

Quote:
1. The Government has already published long term analysis of the impact of a no
deal scenario that implicitly assumes a smooth, orderly transition to WTO rules.
This estimates that the UK economy would be 6.3-9% smaller in the long term in a
no deal scenario (after around 15 years) than it otherwise would have been when
compared with today’s arrangements, assuming no action is taken. There would
also be significant variation across the UK (Wales -8.1%, Scotland -8.0%, Northern
Ireland -9.1% and the North East of England -10.5%). This analysis does not
account for any short term disruptions, which would be likely to have additional
short and long run economic impacts in an immediate no deal scenario

Quote:
a responsible government

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:26 

I'm disappointed they didn't harp on about 'will of the people' or 'no turning back' or the sodding second world war.

I was feeling slightly optimistic last week but I'm feeling disspirited about it all again.

Reply to topic  [ 6503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 131  Next