Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 131  Next
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:53 
Sleepyhead

Interesting.

Keir Starmer just contradicted John McDonnell and said that a People’s Vote could include the option to Remain.

And he got a standing ovation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:56 

That's a very good sign. Progress!

Maybe John McDonnell was trying to get his spin in first to frame the debate. Incidentally, I've realised I keep on confusing him in my head with the US senate majority leader, who's at a completely different end of the spectrum.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:59 
Isn't that lovely?

AFAIK John Mcdonell said that he wouldn't support the motion if there was a remain option on it. JC said he would go with what the majority wanted. KS (and others) have said all options are on the table, but they really want another Election not a 2nd referendum.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:28 
Hibernating Druid

For sanity's sake give the UK an option to stop this farce.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 15:41 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Giphy "brian rix":
https://media0.giphy.com/media/7gHJozx9wLrmo/giphy-loop.mp4

No, Brian RIX.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 15:57 
UltraMod

Clear as mud, Labour. Talk about missing an open goal.

I’m so tired https://t.co/nPqhsWR65F https://twitter.com/aljwhite/status/1044587662588481537

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:19 

We are a modern, advanced country. We really shouldn't be appointing ministers to ensure food supplies.

Guardian: UK appoints food supplies minister amid fears of no deal Brexit

Does nobody in the Tory party actually pause and think, 'hang on, something's seriously fucked up about this'?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:44 
Gogmagog

https://twitter.com/TheNewEuropean/stat ... 23264?s=09

Jesus christ.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:41 

MaliA wrote:
https://twitter.com/TheNewEuropean/status/1046278536720523264

Jesus christ.

Well, it'd be only right to give the United Kingdom a good send-off.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 18:32 
Beloved member

Dunno who I hate more, as an ex-Labour type, Tories or Labour. Tories for becoming ultranationalists, Labour for becoming Brexity communists.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:48 

Ian Dunt is on form again today.

Quote:
No-one mentions the future we're stealing from younger people, a future in which they had an entire continent to explore and who have now, against their will, been strapped down to just this little island because of the small-mindedness of their elders

Puts it far better than my uncontrolled anger when I heard what the Prime Minister was saying this morning.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 13:44 
Rude Belittler

Apparently if you earn less than £50k a year, you are "low skilled".

What fantasy world is Theresa May living in?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 13:59 
Excellent Member

Pundabaya wrote:
Apparently if you earn less than £50k a year, you are "low skilled".

What fantasy world is Theresa May living in?

'London'.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 13:15 

This week's 'Remainiacs' (Audioboom link - other podcast platforms available) has an interesting and, at times, quite moving interview with a couple of people from the Remainer Now group talking about why they voted leave, why they changed their minds, and how to change minds.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:41 

The Internet's Mr Brexit, Ian Dunt, has written a quick piece about the various possible paths the next few months could take. It's rather interesting and slightly terrifying, albeit slightly ruined by Mr Dunt being wrong about ice hockey.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 13:46 
Hello Hello Hello

This chap doesn't pull any punches.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -rees-mogg

Quote:
While he said there was “zero chance” of the EU agreeing to the economic elements of the prime minister’s Chequers plan, Rogers was equally blunt about ideas promoted by Johnson and the “pinstriped Robespierres” of the European Research Group, led by Rees-Mogg. “The Johnsonian Canada-plus-plus is as big a pipe dream as Chequers. In some respects, rather bigger,” he said.

Rogers resigned as ambassador in January 2017 after being dismissed as “the gloomy mandarin” by Tory Eurosceptics, who disliked his warnings that leaving the EU would be an extremely complicated process that would dominate UK political life for a decade.

Last month, Rogers warned Brexit negotiators on both sides risked “sleepwalking into a major crisis”, but his latest speech is his most outspoken critique yet of the people behind the Brexit project. Leaving the EU showed “no plan and little planning, oodles of PPE tutorial-level plausible bullshit [and] supreme self-confidence that we understand others’ real interests better than they do”, he said.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:22 
Hello Hello Hello

Sigh.

http://politics.co.uk/blogs/2018/10/12/ ... lying-game

Quote:
But the greatest lies will all come from the ERG Tories. They have had two years to propose a credible plan for Brexit. They could not have asked for a more pliable media, or a more generous political culture, in which to issue their mewling tantrums. They were able to attack any compromise position without being asked what they would do in its place. They were able to constantly propose no-deal Brexit - or a 'world trade deal' as they laughably tried to brand it - without being interrogated about the damage it would do the UK. Rarely could any political campaign have been so steeped in attempts to mislead the public.

At no point has anything ever been their fault. Even when the aggressive time constraints of Article 50 dominated the Brexit process, they did not admit that it was lunacy to have triggered it, or that doing so without a plan amounted to a supreme act of patriotic irresponsibility. When their assurances that Britain could have full access to the single market but also an independent regulatory system were shown to be false, they blamed the EU for being inflexible. When they were forced to legally establish their promise about a frictionless border in Ireland, they said the Europeans were trying to turn us into a vassal state. When David Davis was defeated on every single battle he tried to wage with Michel Barnier, they blamed Remainers for failing to get behind the government. They're like a doomsday cult leader. Every apocalypse date which passes, annihilation is simply recalculated to take place a few years in the future. No-one blinks an eye.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:50 

I would be at the march tomorrow but I'm ushing at a friend's wedding all day. Still, in years to come when my granddaughter sits on my knee and my grandson plays with his toy bureaucrats and asks what I did, I'll at the very least be able to say that I subscribed to some podcasts and stuck a sticker on my car.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

And, you know, voted "remain".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:59 
Isn't that lovely?

I was looking to go on the March too, but I've not been home the last two weekends, and the coach leaves Plymouth at 01:00 or 05:00 in the morning and gets back at midnight or 03:00 on Sunday. I'm not sure that one extra person being on the march is worth that.

So I'll probably end up sticking to sniping from Facebook and Twitter occasionally

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:21 

The local paper asked the Shire's MPs for short comments on Brexit. Reassuing to know that I'm not alone in not getting replies from mine.

Also, curious how opposition MPs were more responsive than Tories. Funny that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 15:14 
INFINITE POWAH

ahem
https://mobile.twitter.com/LBC/status/1 ... 9703116800

https://mobile.twitter.com/faisalislam/ ... 0005114880

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 13:38 
Isn't that lovely?

https://twitter.com/ElectoralCommUK/sta ... 3823906820

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 14:10 

Has anything ever actually happened as a result of someone ignoring election spending rules?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 14:15 
INFINITE POWAH

Didn't someone get fined 50k once? Scaaaaaaary.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 14:48 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Electoral commission has no ability to issue criminal charges. The NCA does.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 15:10 

Sure but I couldn't really give two shits if Aaron Banks ends up getting six months in special tax dodger prison. I mean nothing ever happens to results no matter how badly people abuse the system.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 15:35 

Unfortunately whilst cheating MPs and councillors can lose their seats, no such remedy really exists for referendums.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 17:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Holy shit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 24036.html

Quote:
Dominic Raab has been ridiculed after saying he “hadn’t quite understood” the importance of cross-Channel trade to the UK economy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:17 

Hearthly wrote:
Holy shit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 24036.html

Quote:
Dominic Raab has been ridiculed after saying he “hadn’t quite understood” the importance of cross-Channel trade to the UK economy.

I've been reading this story for most of the past day or so and still can't get my head around the idea that a senior minister would say something quite so stupid.
He should follow the example of other leading Brex fans and complain from the backbenches.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 17:19 
Beloved member

Boris Johnson’s brother just resigned from the government and is calling for a People’s Vote(tm)...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... plan-boris

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:24 
Hello Hello Hello

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -far-worse

Is another referendum possible? I'm starting to think it might be getting enough momentum behind it to happen.

Quote:
Mrs May is in an impossible position, because a good Brexit never existed outside the glib fantasies of its proponents. There has never been a deal available that would allow the United Kingdom to continue to enjoy all the many benefits of its partnership with the European Union, as the Brexiters once promised, from the outside. As I’ve remarked before, any deal negotiated by any prime minister was bound to be suboptimal, because there are no terms more favourable to Britain than those that it currently enjoys as a member of the EU. There never was some tremendous bargain there to be struck if only Mrs May had had the wit to spot it. From the start, she has been choosing between varieties of the inferior. And where she has made mistakes, they have flowed not from betraying the hard Brexiters but from doing their bidding and seeking to appease them.

It is now nearly 30 months since the referendum, with fewer than five to go before Britain is due to leave. If there were some smart solution to Brexit, we are entitled to wonder why the Brexiters have never revealed it to the rest of us. They have been florid in their denunciations of Mrs May’s ideas without once producing a plan of their own that passes the most basic tests of viability. Michael Gove, purportedly the cleverest of their number, has been reduced to arguing that the cabinet should swallow whatever terms Mrs May can cobble together in the hope of having another go at some unspecified date in the future.

If there were a blindingly superior negotiating strategy, and the secret of it was known to Boris Johnson or to David Davis, you might think they would have shared it with the rest of the cabinet when one held the great office of foreign secretary and the other was in the influential role of Brexit secretary. Those positions are now held by Jeremy Hunt, a self-proclaimed convert to Brexit, and Dominic Raab, a protege of Mr Davis and always a believer. They have done no better than their predecessors at illuminating the path to El Dorado.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:45 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I was speaking with a Polish guy over the weekend and of course, we mentioned Brexit.

He saw it as a terrible idea and from a purely selfish point of view, he said that his country see's the UK as the stable country and the leader or Europe. Without us, that gives Germany and Russia more power in Europe and that's bad news for his country.

I'd never though of it like that. Interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:14 

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/stat ... 3381269509

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 13:50 
Gogmagog

On a potential GE:

Check out @MaliciousA’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/MaliciousA/status/1 ... 7790773249

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 13:50 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1061910513381269509

Control!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 14:53 

MaliA wrote:
On a potential GE:
Check out @MaliciousA’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/MaliciousA/status/1 ... 7790773249

I could never bring myself to vote Tory at a GE.

Given how much of their last manifesto they've actually actioned, what makes you think that (if they campaigned on a Remain platform) they'd actually go through with it and stop Brexit?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 16:58 
ugvm'er at heart...

GazChap wrote:
Given how much of their last manifesto they've actually actioned, what makes you think that (if they campaigned on a Remain platform) they'd actually go through with it and stop Brexit?

True, but if the choice is between a party saying they will go through with brexit, and another saying they won't, i'd vote for the one saying no, no matter how much I thought it was likely to be an empty promise. A 1% chance is better than no chance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 17:26 

Trooper wrote:
GazChap wrote:
True, but if the choice is between a party saying they will go through with brexit, and another saying they won't, i'd vote for the one saying no, no matter how much I thought it was likely to be an empty promise. A 1% chance is better than no chance.

If it were just that in isolation, I'd agree. But, as you know, there's a lot more to "choosing a political party" than just their stance on Brexit - and keeping the Tories in power for another X years on the off-chance that they'd stop Brexit would arguably just give them more of a mandate to carry on with some of their other activities :/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 19:28 

Right now, the emergency is such that anyone promising to end this is going to get more interest from me than anyone who doesn't (or, like my MP, who just won't talk about it).

I'd even vote for a national government elected solely to do so - it'd probably have to be led by Ken Clarke as the senior Tory statesman in the House supported by Sir Keir, Hilary Benn, Caroline Lucas, and perhaps whoever Lib Dem is leader these days.

The second the ship's the right way up again, then we can resume normal service.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 19:31 
Beloved member

Well, yeah, we’re heading for a wartime style national emergency, and we have to pack regular bi-polar party politics away in a box for a while, so be it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 19:38 

Who's in your fantasy cabinet?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 19:47 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Kern wrote:

Holly Willoughby and me, for seven minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 19:56 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Kern wrote:

Holly Willoughby and me, for seven minutes.

You must really want her to hear Bad Luck by the Jerfs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 20:23 
Beloved member

Kern wrote:

Don’t care, as long as it’s wall-to-wall Remainers and competent people. Corbyn, Abbott, and McDonnell belong at the backbenches.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 19:54 
ugvm'er at heart...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-46200010

Apparently a draft deal has been agreed...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 20:21 
Sleepyhead

Trooper wrote:

And already rejected by almost everyone to have read it (allegedly).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 20:38 
Hello Hello Hello

Curiosity wrote:
Trooper wrote:

And already rejected by almost everyone to have read it (allegedly).

'It's a little bit like what we've got now, except a lot shitter in every single regard.'

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:26 

If I were a cynical Tory powerplayer, I'd lose the vote and give Labour the election, hoping that Jeremy Corbyn will be too stubborn to change his view on Brexit. Britain crashes out in March 2019 under a Labour government, whilst the Tories reorganise, win a thumping majority in another election in Autumn 2019, and Stanley Baldwin chuckles from the Beyond.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:42 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm not sure any of them are that clever.

Reply to topic  [ 6503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 131  Next