Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Firefox Three released
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 22:36 
making out to faces of death

No. I might have some other ones though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 23:19 
baron of techno

Pretty damn good so far.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 23:47 

Now I have my tabmix it, like all upgrades, feels like I never did, except that things are generally quicker, slicker and nicer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:37 

a couple of decent features,

bookmark tags. you can tag each of your bookmarks and then just type the tag into your address bar.
so you could assign 'shop' to hotukdeals, savvygamer etc etc.

also, click on a page and start typing and you get an auto-find thing happening (you have to enable it though). quite handy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:10 

Bluce_Ree wrote:
a couple of decent features,

bookmark tags. you can tag each of your bookmarks and then just type the tag into your address bar.
so you could assign 'shop' to hotukdeals, savvygamer etc etc.

also, click on a page and start typing and you get an auto-find thing happening (you have to enable it though). quite handy.

"MassiveTwat" to ("make my snack slightly larger dot com" - mtv lawyer)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:06 
Excellent Excellente

Intriguingly, my Firefox 2 hasn't attempted to start immediately stealth-installing it yet.

I hope there's an option to revert back to the more simple-looking AutoComplete found in 2 as I didn't like 3's more bulky and cluttered up version when testing it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:50 

On my Laptop, FF3 works great, noticeably quicker and I love the new bookmark features. I can see some bugs and things that need smoothing out (like how not all favicons update automatically) but since this is a complete re-write of the bookmarks, I expect it'll improve over time.

But... my Firefox Portable is hanging for 1-2 minutes at a time every 20-30 minutes. Which is really bloody annoying! I thought it might be my foxmarks hanging it while syncing, but it isn't. Hope this gets fixed soon.

But the proper build of FF3 is generally ace :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:54 
Excellent Member

I saw an episode of South Park last night where the internet is gone. It was ace. I like the Randy based episodes. I like episodes that are parodies of disaster movies. This was both. Nice.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:09 

nervouspete wrote:
I saw an episode of South Park last night where the internet is gone. It was ace. I like the Randy based episodes. I like episodes that are parodies of disaster movies. This was both. Nice.

South Park is ace! That episode is so good, with the refugee camps for those in no-internet zones, haha!

Pete: I am 2 episodes off finishing season 5 of The Wire. I think I will cry tears of sadness when it has all finished :'( So, so good.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 18:50 
Worst

No spoilers in 'ere please. I got stalled halfway through season 3 when fx decided to move it past my bedtime.

Roll on backpay and the ensuing DVD splurge..!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 18:53 
Excellent Member

Did you know that you can watch them in reasonable quality for free, streaming online at a goodly speed, up to the latest episode, and that these online streams are personally approved vocally and in print by the creators? I'll fish out the link where I watch them if you're interested.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 19:04 
Worst

I didn't know, and yes please.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 19:14 
Skillmeister

I watch em ere

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 22:45 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I like what I'm seeing so far.. It does seem faster too, even on my ancient pc!

I don't like how it searches your bookmarks from the address bar. Anyone know how to turn this off?

And is it me, or have they removed a couple of the options from the download box thingy? You can still open what you downloaded just by double clicking it.. but it was nice to have the single click option to the right.

Still.. awesome web browser FTW!! :ninja:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 23:00 
Excellent Member

throughsilver wrote:

You'll also find 'em here...

http://www.justsouthpark.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 0:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bluce_Ree wrote:

This was a feature of Firefox 1.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:39 

LOL @ me, clearly!

is a nice feature anyway haha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 17:42 
Worst

Oh I see what happened. I replied regarding The Wire and people thought I meant South Park. Heh. Appreciate the helpful attitudes though - free SP is also not to be sneezed at.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 19:32 
Skillmeister

nervouspete wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

You'll also find 'em here...

http://www.justsouthpark.com/

Gosh, the video quality on those is horrendous. Still, free etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 21:39 
Isn't that lovely?

Since I've upgraded I can't watch flash based videos full screen (I get audio, but the image stays constant throughout). watching it normal sized is fine (I've tried a few sites and it's all the same)

anyone else getting that?

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 22:15 

Can't do much better than "nope" there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 0:28 
Kindly deeds done for free

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
Since I've upgraded I can't watch flash based videos full screen (I get audio, but the image stays constant throughout). watching it normal sized is fine (I've tried a few sites and it's all the same)

Malc

I had odd Flash problems at first (videos would play without sound for a couple of seconds then freeze). I fixed it by going to Tools > Add-ons > Plugins and disabling Flash, then reinstalling it -- might be worth a try.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 14:17 
Isn't that lovely?

tossrStu wrote:
Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:

Malc

I had odd Flash problems at first (videos would play without sound for a couple of seconds then freeze). I fixed it by going to Tools > Add-ons > Plugins and disabling Flash, then reinstalling it -- might be worth a try.

I just did a reboot (last night) for unrelated reasons, and it seems to be fine now.

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:55 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Dudley wrote:
Opera 9.5 does not have everything I want in add-ins built in.

The adblock was confusing, it couldn't download youtube vids, it couldn't get all pics on a page in one clit, it didn't have a weather forecast bar, it didn't have an option allowing me to open a page in IE, but in Opera, it didn't automatically tell me about coupons for any site I go to, it didn't have a fully featured version of SA Last read.

Make Opera do everything there and we'll talk :)

Oh and make it import all my firefox bookmarks too, it didn't seem to have the option.

So, yeah.

File -> Import -> Firefox Bookmarks. Seems easy enough to me.

Adblock is the same as Firefox's - click to disable elements. Not quite sure how you're having problems there.

Youtube saving. Widget for that.
Weather. Widget for that.
Open using Trident. Plugin for that.
Save all pics. Is File --> Save Page In.. too hard?
SA Last Read I have no idea...I don't have an account there. But I bet "Mask as Firefox" and it'll suddenly work...

Seriously, people...Firefox have just nicked all of Opera's good ideas and then make people go "oooh, I like that" while somehow making a browser that has only the barebones features and requires a whole bunch of extra stuff to even compare.

P.S. I'm aware of the "religion" around browsers...I'm not attempting to convert anyone really, just showing that with a bit of thought most of the "bad" things of both browsers can be debunked...and I'm also aware of just how pointless arguing with Dudders is ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:06 

I didn't find the bookmark import when I had it installed, my bad. Of course, Firefox offers said option with IE bookmarks the first time you run it.

Quote:
[Adblock is the same as Firefox's - click to disable elements. Not quite sure how you're having problems there.

Firefox's adblock doesn't require me to choose what to block, it just works. If I have to manually click each ad on every page I visit it's not really an adblocker is it? If it misses something or I want to block an annoying sig image I can of course.

Quote:
Save all pics. Is File --> Save Page In.. too hard?

Yes, that saves the page, not just the pics.

That weather one isn't the same either, forecastfox sits neatly in the status bar.

The setup for that open in Trident requires a degree in astrophysics rather than just working (creating a custom toolbar? WHAT? Just add a fucking button to my browser) and even when that's done it doesn't seem to support doing it automatically for certain sites without downloading another script from another 3rd party.

Here's the Fox equivilent.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

Installation instructions : Click here.

You also completely ignore RetailMeNow.

Quote:
and I'm also aware of just how pointless arguing with Dudders is

Oh a common tactic when you've been caught being a bit of a twonk.

You're the one who wondered into a thread on firefox and said "HAHA! You're all cunts!", despite being wrong for me and several other people here. (The subset you did manage to find either don't do the job, don't do it as well or don't have one click setup)

To use your own analogy, wonder onto a christian messageboard and say "You know, Islam is better" and see how long you last. It was arrogant at best. You're the mechanic who says "You know, Vauxhalls don't have this problem" rather than telling them the indicator switch for their focus is on the left, you're the idiot geek who says "Use Linux. Problem solved" instead of telling them F9 is send/recieve in Outlook. It's exceptionally un-excellent.

Browsers are not religious but for me and others, it would take many, many hours to get an Opera doing 75% (tops) of what this firefox is doing and for no other benefits (it's certainly not noticeably quicker on this machine for instance). It's hardly surprising wondering into a thread on Firefox that you don't instantly convert everyone and don't pretend that's not what you were trying to do when your entire first post was "Sigh. You realise Opera 9.5 includes all that crap built in, and is quicker to boot?". Which was at best a troll and at worst, completely inaccurate as we've just found, it doesn't have half that "crap" built in and when it is built in it doesn't work as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:09 
Kindly deeds done for free

Sheepeh wrote:
Seriously, people...Firefox have just nicked all of Opera's good ideas and then make people go "oooh, I like that" while somehow making a browser that has only the barebones features and requires a whole bunch of extra stuff to even compare.

I'm pretty sure Opera directly copied the Greasemonkey plugin though...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 19:37 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Sheepeh wrote:
Sigh. You realise Opera 9.5 includes all that crap built in, and is quicker to boot?

Sillies.

I called you sillies, not cunts. Hardly the same thing.

Also "all that crap" was referring to the directly above of close buttons, and tab options.

The widgets I posted have exactly the same functionality as the Firefox equiv, and are indeed oneclick installs. I was refuting the points you say Opera "can't do", which it obviously can : not trying to convert you by replicating your setup...the "RetailMeNot" thing I'll give you, I didn't even know what that was and seems to be a cool feature which I can't replicate...I'll have to see about getting that added to the Wishlist.

Quote:
You're the mechanic who says "You know, Vauxhalls don't have this problem" rather than telling them the indicator switch for their focus is on the left, you're the idiot geek who says "Use Linux. Problem solved" instead of telling them F9 is send/recieve in Outlook.

Obviously you know me so well, having as I do a girlfriend who uses Firefox and who I've obviously converted to Opera and Linux at that. My parents machines obviously all run Linux now despite me being the one they call for help when it goes pearshaped...

That said, I'm aware this is heading in to decidedly un-excellent territory, so I'm shutting up now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 22:28 

Quote:
and are indeed oneclick installs.

The IEClick replacement you linked to has a full page of installation instructions. And that's the "easy" mode.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 22:35 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

No, it doesn't. Also note, the word "widget" referring to 1click installs.

Install for Trident plugin is as follows.

Download, double click, install.
Drag button from website to toolbar.

Done.

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2