Post subject: Tekken 7
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 15:34 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

More info at Comic Con in a few weeks

Post subject: Re: Tekken 7
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 19:20 
Bad Girl

An incredible amount of nonplussedness for Tekken 7 then? I won't buy it. I rate Tekken Tag Tournament as my most favourite beating folks up em up but since I never play games with anyone in the same room as me anymore then I've got virtually zero interest in these types of games. I played the new Street Fighter and the SF x Tekken and played it on-line too, but without a friend sat next to you fighting for who makes tea next then it's not much fun anymore. Getting old facking sucks ass.

Shame though cause I like the characters more than those in the Street Fighter games. I mean, giant panda? Of course.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 19:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm the same as you, Tekken was my favourite fighter and my cousin and I used to play an endless game in practice mode, no health bar but the score ticking up depending on hits scored.

He now has 3 kids and a wife. We don't do that anymore and playing online isn't the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 20:06 
Sleepyhead

Ditto. The amount of hours I sunk into this series with Bobby, Other Dave and others is astonishing... but without the shared room it's not the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 20:37 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I played them all to death right up to Tekken 3... After that, I never really bothered. I'm sure Tekken 7 will be lovely but it's not on my watch list.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:10 
Just a Man

Has anyone here invested in a PS4? Slight hijack of the thread, but I'm still on the PS3 and don't play very often. Worth an investment or stick to what I've got?

I'll probably start updating my blog again at some point: http://www.recreationalwriter.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:19 
Excellent Member

Jonathan wrote:
Has anyone here invested in a PS4? Slight hijack of the thread, but I'm still on the PS3 and don't play very often. Worth an investment or stick to what I've got?

If you don't play the PS3 very often then it's almost certainly not worth it, at least not right now. I do play my fair share of games and still haven't taken the plunge due to (a) backlog of last-gen games and (b) no really compelling reasons to buy a PS4. Unless you play online shooters or something that mean you need to move with the crowd I wouldn't advise spending the money. Obviously when the new Batman game comes out next year all right-thinking people will be compelled to pick one up just to play it but you're alright until then.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:19 
ugvm'er at heart...

Jonathan wrote:

I've got one. I only play BF4 on it, but then I only bought it to play BF4, so I can't really complain. There is fuck all else out worth it though at the moment, so unless there is an exclusive game that your really have to play right now, i'd hold off.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:20 
Just a Man

Trooper wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

I've got one. I only play BF4 on it, but then I only bought it to play BF4, so I can't really complain. There is fuck all else out worth it though at the moment, so unless there is an exclusive game that your really have to play right now, i'd hold off.

I take it the PS4 won't allow me to play my PS3 games on it? Like an absolute nerd, I'm really only waiting for the next Elder Scrolls game to come out.

I'll probably start updating my blog again at some point: http://www.recreationalwriter.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:22 
ugvm'er at heart...

Jonathan wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

I take it the PS4 won't allow me to play my PS3 games on it?

Nope, so you can't even recoup any cost by flogging that on, but it's worth peanuts anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:26 
Excellent Member

Jonathan wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

I take it the PS4 won't allow me to play my PS3 games on it? Like an absolute nerd, I'm really only waiting for the next Elder Scrolls game to come out.

Not right now, but maybe kind of sort of in the future. It won't ever have proper local stick-a-PS3-disc-in-the-drive compatibility, but they're ramping up this Playstation Now thing which streams PS3 games to your PS4 over the internet. Obviously that's no use right now and still dependant on a load of factors (i.e. when will they roll it out to the UK, what will it cost and is your own broadband good enough to handle it) but it's A Thing for sure.

Regardless, there's no chat at all about the next TES game on any platform so it'll be aaaages away and certainly isn't a reason to even consider buying a PS4 right now. More likely there'll be another Fallout game first and there's no concrete info about that either.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:58 
Just a Man

While we're on it then, Fallout - I read all the reviews and very almost purchased the first one, having never played any of them, but went for some AWFUL Dragon Age or something game instead. Is Fallout worth the investment and how does it compare to TES?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:14 
8-Bit Champion

Jonathan wrote:
While we're on it then, Fallout - I read all the reviews and very almost purchased the first one, having never played any of them, but went for some AWFUL Dragon Age or something game instead. Is Fallout worth the investment and how does it compare to TES?

I really enjoyed Fallout 3 and did not really get into New Vegas but others did - there should be a really long Fallout 3 thread which has Meaty(?)'s diary of his experiences which is well worth a read

Also when searching for that thread I found a link I posted to a 'games of the generation' article about Fallout 3 - have a read of that : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... -fallout-3

Fallout 3 thread : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2105
Fallout New Vegas thread : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5834

And I'm another of those people who did pick up a PS4 but would recommend you dont yet get one - there is not quite enough there to make the jump

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:17 
Just a Man

Cheers mate.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:21 
Excellent Member

Jonathan wrote:

I've played Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, which are the most recent instalments, and fucking loved them. There's no consensus on which is best and everyone seems to have their own favourite but for me Fallout 3 is just awesome. Of the TES games I've only played Skyrim but certainly both Fallout games are very similar to it and by all accounts Fallout is 'sci-fi TES' so if you like one you should like the other (unless you've got a particular hatred for post-apocalyptic sci-fi settings with bags of understated dark humour I suppose). The only 'real' difference is the combat; it's pretty much all about the projectile weapons in Fallout as melee is a much harder sell in a sci-fi universe so if you liked specifically yer swords 'n' shields that could be a problem for you.

That combat difference brings with it an interesting addition in the shape of the VATS system, which adds a soucon of turn-basedness to fights (if you want, it's entirely optional). So when you go to attack someone you trigger VATS which pauses the action and allows you to see the status of your enemy's body parts and select exactly where you want to target your hits. Then you let it play out; in the background it invisibly does the virtual dice rolls that sit behind all these games and shows you your chosen combat actions and how much damage they did in real time. I'm describing it badly here and probably making it sounds horrible but it makes a massive difference in a game like this and I loved it despite generally hating anything turn-based. Indeed I quickly grew to hate the fucking combat in Skyrim and gave up on it, whereas I loved it in Fallout.

So, make of that what you will. If nothing else, Fallout 3 is cheap as shit these days so there's really little reason not to try it. As a fan of TES games there's a greater than usual chance you'll love it I reckon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:21 
UltraMod

Fallout 3 is incredible. You don't have to play the first two (plus they're really old).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:26 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

But you should play the first two, because they're bloody brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:06 
Gogmagog

Fallout 3 was voted the top game in BeeX's 100 games of all time. it's that good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:07 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
Fallout 3 was voted the top game in BeeX's 100 games of all time. it's that good.

WAit, waht?

No it wasn't.

Sorry.

it is good, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:09 
UltraMod

It was voted Beex Game of the Year 2008, which is why you may have got confused.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:13 
Just a Man

Bamba wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

I've played Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, which are the most recent instalments, and fucking loved them. There's no consensus on which is best and everyone seems to have their own favourite but for me Fallout 3 is just awesome. Of the TES games I've only played Skyrim but certainly both Fallout games are very similar to it and by all accounts Fallout is 'sci-fi TES' so if you like one you should like the other (unless you've got a particular hatred for post-apocalyptic sci-fi settings with bags of understated dark humour I suppose). The only 'real' difference is the combat; it's pretty much all about the projectile weapons in Fallout as melee is a much harder sell in a sci-fi universe so if you liked specifically yer swords 'n' shields that could be a problem for you.

That combat difference brings with it an interesting addition in the shape of the VATS system, which adds a soucon of turn-basedness to fights (if you want, it's entirely optional). So when you go to attack someone you trigger VATS which pauses the action and allows you to see the status of your enemy's body parts and select exactly where you want to target your hits. Then you let it play out; in the background it invisibly does the virtual dice rolls that sit behind all these games and shows you your chosen combat actions and how much damage they did in real time. I'm describing it badly here and probably making it sounds horrible but it makes a massive difference in a game like this and I loved it despite generally hating anything turn-based. Indeed I quickly grew to hate the fucking combat in Skyrim and gave up on it, whereas I loved it in Fallout.

So, make of that what you will. If nothing else, Fallout 3 is cheap as shit these days so there's really little reason not to try it. As a fan of TES games there's a greater than usual chance you'll love it I reckon.

I'm smitten with this review, and solely on the basis of your words I shall be parting with cash. I actually love the combat in Skyrim, although it got very easy, very quickly and winning battles was pretty much just a case of waiting for the clock to tick down in the end, wins were guaranteed. My only dilemma now is whether to buy the older Fallout games to fully immerse myself in the experience or whether to just jump in with Fallout 3. I have also only ever played Skyrim of the TES series, and was so blown away by it that I didn't go back to Oblivion, feeling it simply couldn't be as good. I'm keen not to make that mistake again, as playing the newer game ruined playing the earlier versions for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:16 
Gogmagog

Get Fallout 3, so you can play it sooner.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:30 
Excellent Member

Older Fallout games are a slightly different proposition in that they're much older and have a completely different layout (top-down isometric) so although they're set in the same universe they could almost be considered different games (to my knowledge, I've never played the first two). Whereas Skyrim is genuinely an iteration of Oblivion so I can see how you felt the way you did about them both. Personally I'd just dive into Fallout 3 and if you really liked the universe once you've finished it and New Vegas you could go back.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:33 
Bad Girl

I never liked Fallout 3. Too much bloody reading. If I wanted to read a book I'd buy a book. On tape.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:33 
Excellent Member

Other things to note: both newer Fallout games have a truly ridiculous amount of extra content available via the numerous DLC packs. They're of varying quality but I don't think any of them are considered bad so you can either pick up the GOTY edition of the game and get them all from the start or pick them up later if you enjoyed the main game.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:35 
UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:
I never liked Fallout 3. Too much bloody reading. If I wanted to read a book I'd buy a book. On tape.

You mean the entirely optional reading of stuff you pick up?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:51 
Bad Girl

American Nervoso wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

You mean the entirely optional reading of stuff you pick up?

That's right, the bit where they shove most of the story/stories.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 13:31 
Just a Man

They did that in Skyrim too but I just read if I felt like reading and if not, I left it. I've never come across a game where there's additional content that can be read, but failing to read it affects the gameplay or knowledge of the plot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 13:36 
Excellent Member

Jonathan wrote:
They did that in Skyrim too but I just read if I felt like reading and if not, I left it. I've never come across a game where there's additional content that can be read, but failing to read it affects the gameplay or knowledge of the plot.

Both Skyrim and Fallout 3/NV have skill books which, if you didn't read them, you'd be arguably affecting the gameplay as you wouldn't gain the relevant buffs; though I realise that's a bit of a stretch of the definition of both 'reading' and 'affecting the gameplay'.

I'm struggling to remember but would the plot of Bioshock be clear if you didn't listen to the audio logs? Again though that's not reading is it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 13:36 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Jonathan wrote:
I've never come across a game where there's additional content that can be read, but failing to read it affects the gameplay or knowledge of the plot.

The original Deus Ex, most certainly. The new one in fact, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 13:39 
Just a Man

Well screw you guys and your superior game knowledge.

Yeah Bamba you're entirely right with the skills automatically gained in Skyrim by picking up some books, but what I mean is once you have opened a book and it's clearly just a load of spiel you don't need to know, it's nice to be able to either sack it off and smash something in the face with a battleaxe, or take the time to read into the intricacies of the game a little more.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 13:42 
ugvm'er at heart...

Divinity : Original Sin uses in game books and parchments as key information in some of the quests.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 13:42 
Excellent Member

Jonathan wrote:
Yeah Bamba you're entirely right with the skills automatically gained in Skyrim by picking up some books, but what I mean is once you have opened a book and it's clearly just a load of spiel you don't need to know, it's nice to be able to either sack it off and smash something in the face with a battleaxe, or take the time to read into the intricacies of the game a little more.

Yeah, I agree, that's what I meant when I said it was stretching the definition of reading as really all you need to do is pick the thing up and you're done.

That's actually one of the other difference in my experience of FO3/NV and Skyrim; all that additional lore in FO3/NV was worth reading as it was either interesting, grimly funny or just really fucked up (mostly all three simultaneously). Whereas the stuff in Skyrim was a lot more po-faced and sort 'generic fantasy' so I totally stopped giving a shit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 13:48 
Just a Man

One of my favourite examples of 'take it or leave it' literature in games is in the Assassins Creed series, in particular I think AC3; possibly some of the most amusingly subtle quips and one liners buried amongst the historical and architectural information I have seen, but then I am not a huge gamer anymore so there's probably better stuff out there.

Fallout 3 will be ordered this evening. Alas it won't arrive at my house in Lincs ready for this weekend when I return home :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 14:11 
Gogmagog

Jonathan wrote:
One of my favourite examples of 'take it or leave it' literature in games is in the Assassins Creed series, in particular I think AC3; possibly some of the most amusingly subtle quips and one liners buried amongst the historical and architectural information I have seen, but then I am not a huge gamer anymore so there's probably better stuff out there.

Fallout 3 will be ordered this evening. Alas it won't arrive at my house in Lincs ready for this weekend when I return home :(

Amazon Prime.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 18:12 
Excellent Painter

MaliA wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

Amazon Prime.

Oh god, has Michael Bay stooped as low as that for sponsorship?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 19:41 
8-Bit Champion

Tekken 20th anniversary trailer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 21:22 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

oh god I feel old now!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 23:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bobbyaro wrote:
oh god I feel old now!

:this:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 0:13 
Sleepyhead

Bobbyaro wrote:
oh god I feel old now!

I thought they were taking the piss, but it really has been. Those Tekken marathons are still among my all time favourite gaming memories.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:18 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Yeah, we spent so long playing Tekken! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 19:03 
Bad Girl

This is ridiculously good looking.

And the sheer heft of the punches is most satisfying!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 20:14 
Gogmagog

Satsuma wrote:
This is ridiculously good looking.

And the sheer heft of the punches is most satisfying!

Title

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:38 
Hibernating Druid

Yoshimitsu FTW

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 23:04 
Sleepyhead

Zardoz wrote:
Yoshimitsu FTW

Oh, the joy I had over the years of hitting people with the unblockable sword stab.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 0:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Back, back, left punch?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:28 
Rude Belittler

Man, I used to think Tekken 3 had amazing graphics. Now it looks like a bunch of cubes hatefucking each other.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:28 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Back, back, left punch?

That’s the bad boy. So many people panic and just end up getting a Stabby Boi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Whore-ang would be triple kicking the fuck out of you if you tried that shit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:44 
Rude Belittler

I used to hate people who started a match with an unblockable, until I found out Jack's Dark Greeting came out faster than every single one, and you start at perfect range for it to hit. It does 100% damage on a counter too.

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]