PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 17:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Is it?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plants- ... 86893?mt=8

Post subject: Re: Plants vs Zombies 2
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 17:34 
ugvm'er at heart...

My ipad doesn't like that link at all, but so it seems.
Reviews are not promising on the in app purchase element though...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 18:30 
Hello Hello Hello

Reviewed very well at Eurogamer and amazingly for an EA game, the in-app purchases are...... well thought out and designed more for lazy/rubbish players than those with a bit of skill about them.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... s-2-review

I may lob this onto our iPad for a look. (Needs an iPad2 or better.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 18:32 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Downloading :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

After the initial recoil at the freemium model, it actually turns out that this is pretty good. The challenges for each star on the levels add something new to what can be quite a boring game to play for a long sitting.

Haven't paid for anything yet, and not paying for stuff makes the game harder, but still easily winnable so far (haven't even lost a lawnmower yet, and i've just cleared the final stage of the egyptian levels, now i'm going back over the previous levels to get enough stars to open up the next set)

Haven't used any powerups either, and don't intend to unless I have to, I have used plant food a couple of times though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:10 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Trooper wrote:
After the initial recoil at the freemium model, it actually turns out that this is pretty good. The challenges for each star on the levels add something new to what can be quite a boring game to play for a long sitting.

Haven't paid for anything yet, and not paying for stuff makes the game harder, but still easily winnable so far (haven't even lost a lawnmower yet, and i've just cleared the final stage of the egyptian levels, now i'm going back over the previous levels to get enough stars to open up the next set)

Haven't used any powerups either, and don't intend to unless I have to, I have used plant food a couple of times though.

I'm just a little further than you and have done about 1/2 of the next level and still have other stars to unlock in egypt - its disappointing that the stars are 'area' specific (so if you have 100 extra stars in Egypt but are 1 under in Pirates you cant use them

IAP is thrown a little in your face at times but i've said no and everything seems to be okay - i guess its just a case of watching to see if it changes more later.

And I have used one of the power ups because i managed to press it while planting in the bottom corner but its 'in game' money used and not the real stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:46 
Hello Hello Hello

Mrs AE was out last night and AE Jnr is going through an incredibly clingy phase (her bed is back in our room :S ), so even though I got her down for about 9:30pm, there was no way on earth she was going to let me out of our bedroom. (If I even moved off the bed to go for a wee she was shouting after me.)

ENTER IPAD2 and an install of Plants vs Zombies 2 - and the couple of hours until she finally fell totally asleep and I could leave the room positively zipped by.

It does seem a bit weird to see the real-money purchases on offer all the time, but in two hours of solid play I didn't struggle with anything or feel that the game was jostling me into buying anything. TBH I think if you're any good at the game it won't be a problem, to me it looks like the purchasable stuff is basically for rubbish and/or impatient players.

It all looks and sounds absolutely lovely, and it ran as smooth as you like on our relatively elderly iPad2.

Bit of a shame it's locked to the one format, but I guess that's for the in-app purchase model more than anything else.

Great stuff anyway, if you've got an iThing then you should give it a go IMO.

Post subject: Plants vs Zombies 2
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:50 

I downloaded this last night also, after a workmate who I introduced to the first PvZ has been talking abut it for the past two days.

Only played it for 15 mins or so, but as enjoyable as ever. Shall keep playing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:08 
8-Bit Champion

AtrocityExhibition wrote:
It does seem a bit weird to see the real-money purchases on offer all the time, but in two hours of solid play I didn't struggle with anything or feel that the game was jostling me into buying anything. TBH I think if you're any good at the game it won't be a problem, to me it looks like the purchasable stuff is basically for rubbish and/or impatient players.

Its basically offering to let you avoid the grind - i'm at the end of the 3rd world and have not 'paid' for anything on there but especially for world 2 , you finish on about 5 stars and need to go back and replay levels you have already past to get to 30 stars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:19 
Hello Hello Hello

zaphod79 wrote:
Its basically offering to let you avoid the grind - i'm at the end of the 3rd world and have not 'paid' for anything on there but especially for world 2 , you finish on about 5 stars and need to go back and replay levels you have already past to get to 30 stars

You're talking to someone whose total played time in WoW was over 3500 hours :D

I think I can grind out a few stars in a tower defence game :metul:

I actually quite like the repetition aspect of tower defence games, playing the same level again and trying to completely 'ace' it is good fun, I did it in the original PvsZ even when I didn't need to!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:03 

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:56 

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:57 

Maybe people just aren't interested in PvZ2 now? It's been out a fair long while.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:39 
8-Bit Champion

Mimi wrote:
Maybe people just aren't interested in PvZ2 now? It's been out a fair long while.

This basically - i downloaded it and played it for a while and have not gone back to it - the fact they have updated it doesnt mean that i'm interested in it any more.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cobracure wrote:
I think this forum will die as Stuarts did in about a year (or less)

I'd be pretty surprised if it died in the same way.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:18 
Sleepyhead

People not liking an average game that has been out for a decent while on mobile phones equals forum death?

I should have known when nobody liked my post about Str8ts!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:21 

zaphod79 wrote:
Mimi wrote:

This basically - i downloaded it and played it for a while and have not gone back to it - the fact they have updated it doesnt mean that i'm interested in it any more.

That's pretty much my own feeling. I have it, but I've enjoyed it enough for now. I may pick it back up one day, but the update isn't a big thing for me.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:24 
Hello Hello Hello

Cobracure wrote:
Judging by zero replies to my update I am sorry to say I think this forum will die as Stuarts did in about a year (or less)

If there is somewhere else similar that I'm not aware of please post below or send private message.

Thank you. >:|

Still 5.5 years (Nov 2008 join remember) isnt too bad longevity I suppose.

Sorry Cobra I only really come here for the Hearthstone chat these days. I did see your post the other day and made a mental note to reply to it when I was back at my PC (I sometimes browse the forum as a guest on my phone during the day) but it'd dropped down the list when I got home and I forgot. (I don't post from my phone as it's such an arse to type anything more than a sentence or two compared to a proper keyboard.)

On a wider note I lost track of who was ignoring who and for what reason and it started to make some threads a bit nonsensical so I just gradually got out of the habit of posting. (Even worse than that are the 'militant' ignorers who seem to revel in broadcasting the fact that they're ignoring a large number of people, well done!) As far as I can tell everyone on the Hearthstone thread speaks to each other so that's a nice thread to read and post to.

And finally on the topic of PvZ2, after my initial positive feelings about the game I found the payment model increasingly intrusive and irritating and it just made the entire game feel a bit 'off' somehow so I stopped playing it.

TBH I'd have much rather just paid a tenner for the complete game and have all the transactions removed completely.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 17:55 

Thank you all, thats more like it!

Yes I suppose it could be considered an average game, but I think it was one of the most downloaded games ever (26 million or something like that???)

Anyway, completed the 4 worlds currently out (free - more difficult to do because some useful plants and features are pay only) and await the 5th and 6th when they eventually arrive.

:luv:

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 22:23 
Bad Girl

Don't worry, I once did a post that no one was interested or responded to. Followed by twenty more. And then another fifty.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:53 
Can you dig it?

I was really excited about PvZ2, but I ended up losing interest in it fairly quickly.

I can't quite put my finger on why, although it did seem quite a bit less charming and compelling than the first.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:45 
UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:
Don't worry, I once did a post that no one was interested or responded to. Followed by twenty more. And then another fifty.

And then another 6,100.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:30 
Awesome
Yes

Yeah, I played through most of PvZ, but number 2 was a bit more... well, number 2.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:07 
Can you dig it?

British Nervoso wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

And then another 6,100.

:facepalm:

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:09 
UltraMod

Sir Taxalot wrote:
British Nervoso wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

And then another 6,100.

:facepalm:

IT WAS EARLY

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:33 
Soopah red DS

I've finished the fourth world, and am playing the pinata specials that are on through May. The fourth is a bit of a return to form - I didn't think so much of the third level, but this one seems a bit better balanced, plus it opens up some more plants as you go through. Worth a look if you had finished world 3, at least.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 0:44 

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]