Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228 ... 287  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 20:46 
Sitting balls-back folder

Cavey wrote:
BikNorton wrote:
Northwich has a curry house now?
It does! An *awesome* one mate :)

http://bombayquaynorthwich.co.uk/

Man that is good cuzza and extremely reasonable. There's even a bar right next door as well, all very friendly and lovely. We had a great time, let me know if you ever fancy meeting up if you're close. :)
holy shit, a Waitrose as well now.

I lived there until 2005 or something. Best it had then was the Seafarer (wayfarer?) chippy. I mean there was that place on the corner near all the estate agents but it never seemed to be open.

Now I live down Brum way, but thanks for the offer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 20:59 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Stereotypes are stereotypes are stereotypes. Do you believe every one you hear or read about?

Ethnic jokes are a little uncouth, but you laugh as they're based on truth.

Like black people liking watermelon? Or Jews being greedy?

I thought better of you, mate.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 21:12 
Gogmagog

Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Stereotypes are stereotypes are stereotypes. Do you believe every one you hear or read about?

I thought we were heading towards singing this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:29 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Remember this sign from a while back? No?
Well, to refresh:

Parking behind the CoOp was 20 mins free. Then signs and ANPR appeared, and you had to type car reg in to get 20 free minutes. Many didn't, and were fined as per T&Cs.

Anyhoo, I dropped a note to local counciller and local MP over the signs not being terribly clear. Counciller responded and he had passed it over to MP. So, MP raises the issue in Parliament, and sends me half a dozen letters with copies of his correspondance with the council solicitors, parking ombudsman and other people.

Today, in the local paper reports:
Quote:
THE operator of a controversial car park has been ordered to shut it down and refund thousands of pounds in fines slapped on unsuspecting motorists.

Bradford Council took the dramatic step after receiving a host of complaints about the way private car park company Smart Parking was running the site at Oastler Road, Saltaire.

The authority was able to step in after discovering that the patch of land had never legally been turned into a car park and was still part of the public highway.

But in doing so, the Council has also had to hold its hands up to running the car park illegally itself for more than a decade, and now faces a major refund programme of its own.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... ial_fines/

Which is amazing. And has amused me.

So, I think P Davies will do OK in an election, again, as he's shown himself to be looking after community interests, especially as the council is a Labour run one and fingers can be pointed.

EXCITING CAR PARK UPDATE

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... _launched/

Quote:
Cllr Alex Ross-Shaw, the Council’s executive member for regeneration, planning and transport, said: “We have started negotiations with the company, Saltaire Investments, and we are helping them to clarify the highway status of the land.

“As the car park is still operating illegally, we have also served a notice on the company to remove the car parking equipment from the site.

Not sure if I'm meant to type car reg in anymore or not, but it looks like a proper car park still.

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... _car_park/

Further plot twist!

Quote:
THE operators of a controversial car park which was ordered to shut down appear to be fighting back.

Private car park company Smart Parking has drawn anger from motorists over the way it has been handing out fines at Oastler Road car park in Saltaire.

The furore prompted Bradford Council to declare the site unlawful and serve a notice ordering the car park to close by November 24.

But in an apparent act of defiance against this notice, the company has now lodged a retrospective planning application for its parking signs, in a move one councillor branded “hilarious”.

Amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:00 
Excellent Member

Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

I don't know why black people would be offended with that. Watermelon is great.

In "Master of None", Aziz makes a big deal about being offended and deconstructing stereotypes, one being that Indian people are usually scientists and shop owners. This is a great stereotype! I wish people from my country had the stereotype of being scientists, instead of being joyless humourless creatures that only care about work (brazilian stereotype).

There are different kinds of stereotypes. Not all of them are necessarily offensive.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:02 

Besides, wife-swapping is the future.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:23 

RuySan wrote:
There are different kinds of stereotypes. Not all of them are necessarily offensive.

I'm not exactly crying myself to sleep over this every night, but I still maintain that the concept of pigeon-holing an entire race, or social/gender group into Box A or Category B (they're all bright/lazy/tight-fisted whatever), regardless of whether supposedly 'positive' or 'not offensive', is ultimately incredibly wrong-headed, close-minded, lazy and demeaning. Further, I'd argue that precisely this very same sentiment lies at the root of far worse things, such as xenophobia, bigotry and outright racism.

The incongruity of it all, in these more enlightened times, is prominent indeed. It's not 1977 anymore, and we need to stop labeling people.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:37 

BikNorton wrote:
I lived there until 2005 or something. Best it had then was the Seafarer (wayfarer?) chippy. I mean there was that place on the corner near all the estate agents but it never seemed to be open.

Now I live down Brum way, but thanks for the offer.

Heh! The Seafarer chippy is still there mate, but they seem to use minging oil or something which always turns my stomach :(
My *first date* with Mrs C was in Northwich, 1995.... at the Emperors Court Chinese restaurant, we had 'the Emperor's Banquet' top set meal and it was amazeballs, we ended up taking most of it home there was that much of it, the girls finished it off! Sadly it's recently been knocked down and a bloody McDonalds has taken its place. :(

I've promised her a 20 McNugget Sharebox on our 25th anniversary :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:42 
Unpossible!

I like Northwich. It's changed a hell of a lot over the last few years. The kids love the new swimming pool though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:02 

I see on Twitter that our lovely PM went to a banquet last night to celebrate Paul Dacre's 25 years as editor of the Daily Mail. What an absolute shower of fucking lowlife shit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:04 

I liked your original post. It made me think of this as a vivid description of Mrs May's current situation:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:06 
Gogmagog

Cavey wrote:

Because when you're done with the legs and the breast, there's a box to stick the bon-(it's a different time now, MaliA - Ed)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:07 
Gogmagog

Cavey wrote:
RuySan wrote:

I'm not exactly crying myself to sleep over this every night, but I still maintain that the concept of pigeon-holing an entire race, or social/gender group into Box A or Category B (they're all bright/lazy/tight-fisted whatever), regardless of whether supposedly 'positive' or 'not offensive', is ultimately incredibly wrong-headed, close-minded, lazy and demeaning. Further, I'd argue that precisely this very same sentiment lies at the root of far worse things, such as xenophobia, bigotry and outright racism.

The incongruity of it all, in these more enlightened times, is prominent indeed. It's not 1977 anymore, and we need to stop labeling people.

I quite agree.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:07 

BBC: "Alex Salmond: Trump 'broke Scots investment promises'"

I think your mistake was trusting Donald Trump, Alex.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:08 

MaliA wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Because when you're done with the legs and the breast, there's a box to stick the bon-(it's a different time now, MaliA - Ed)

Yeah, going to Maccies afterwards is a good call. :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:09 

Kern wrote:
BBC: "Alex Salmond: Trump 'broke Scots investment promises'"

I think your mistake was trusting Donald Trump, Alex.

"Alex Salmond: Trump has a huge credibility problem"

Oh man, the ironing. :DD

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:14 
Hibernating Druid

Cavey wrote:
we need to stop labeling people.

That would cause chaos in hospitals.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:16 
Excellent Member

Cavey wrote:
RuySan wrote:

I find this fundamentalist view as completely counter-productive. There's a massive difference between labelling a gypsy as a thief and a briton as a tea-drinker. You know how the americans joke that canadians are overly polite? How can that even be offensive or wrong? How can you argue to someone to stop joking about something that ultimately harms absolutely no one?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:20 
Hibernating Druid

You wouldn't understand because you only care about work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:30 

It's the principle of by-default attributing labels and assumptions to entire groups of people on the basis of where they are from, the colour of their skin, their social class, their race, their gender, their sexuality, whether they like Union Jacks, their age, their accent. For a start, it's demonstrably bollocks, because there will be huge diversity of attributes among large groups and populations of people, but its not the lack of veracity that I have a problem with, it's the offence that will be caused. You say oh well, no-one would take offence at A or B, but I'm afraid that's a very subjective matter. It's not a case of being "counter productive", and to say it harms no-one is naive in the extreme I'm afraid.

Like I've also said, I don't like the underpinning "othering" sentiment either, because basically that's precisely what lies at the root of far, far worse things as well, such as nationalism for instance.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:36 
Prince of Fops

markg wrote:
I see on Twitter that our lovely PM went to a banquet last night to celebrate Paul Dacre's 25 years as editor of the Daily Mail. What an absolute shower of fucking lowlife shit.

I enjoyed Ed Miliband's response to that on Twitter
https://twitter.com/Ed_Miliband/status/928383407796744192

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:37 
Excellent Member

Cavey wrote:
It's the principle of by-default attributing labels and assumptions to entire groups of people on the basis of where they are from, the colour of their skin, their social class, their race, their gender, their sexuality, whether they like Union Jacks, their age, their accent. For a start, it's demonstrably bollocks, because there will be huge diversity of attributes among large groups and populations of people, but its not the lack of veracity that I have a problem with, it's the offence that will be caused. You say oh well, no-one would take offence at A or B, but I'm afraid that's a very subjective matter. It's not a case of being "counter productive", and to say it harms no-one is naive in the extreme I'm afraid.

Like I've also said, I don't like the underpinning "othering" sentiment either, because basically that's precisely what lies at the root of far, far worse things as well.

I do believe that will all the migrations and globalisation the concept of stereotyping will erode itself and eventually cease to exist. But expecting that change to occur by sheer force of will is like expecting people to stop smoking suddenly because 50 years ago they learned that could kill them.

Also, if everyone had your view we couldn't have Seinfeld or Asterix comic books.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:39 

I'm not saying I expect the change to occur (because: human nature), merely that I think it sucks

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:40 
Hibernating Druid

RuySan wrote:
I do believe that will all the migrations and globalisation the concept of stereotyping will erode itself and eventually cease to exist.

Looks like the racist elements in all societies are voting to prevent this even more these days.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:42 
Gogmagog

Cavey wrote:

Like I've also said, I don't like the underpinning "othering" sentiment either, because basically that's precisely what lies at the root of far, far worse things as well, such as nationalism for instance.

Genetic diversity decreases the farther from West Africa one travels, interestingly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:43 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Genetic diversity decreases the farther from West Africa one travels, interestingly.

Is that true in say, Vancouver? Or Sydney?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:45 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Yeah the was SCIENCE on it, and there was a STRAIGHT LINE GRAPH, which for biology is very rare so tremendously exciting. I think it was published in Cell. Which is an IMPORTANT JOUNAL (I've not been in that one)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:46 
Excellent Member

Zardoz wrote:
RuySan wrote:
I do believe that will all the migrations and globalisation the concept of stereotyping will erode itself and eventually cease to exist.

Looks like the racist elements in all societies are voting to prevent this even more these days.

I don't think that will happen on a global scale. Migrations (and not necessarily mass migrations from impoverished areas) are good for capitalism.

And stereotyping, unlike what seems Cavey's view, is highly flexible and changeable. It depends on each country context towards another and that particular era and changes rapidly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:48 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Cavey wrote:
...whether they like Union Jacks...

I'm very happy with Union Jacks, but I hereby reserve my right to totally judge people who like Nazi or Confederate flags.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:50 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Yeah the was SCIENCE on it, and there was a STRAIGHT LINE GRAPH, which for biology is very rare so tremendously exciting. I think it was published in Cell. Which is an IMPORTANT JOUNAL (I've not been in that one)

Not that hard to believe. I worked at an african country (Mozambique) and it was indeed surprising how different people looked between each village, some just 50km from each other (and this isn't even west africa!). If one african from that region came and drove from Lisbon, to Barcelona, Marseille and Rome he would go "They all look the same to me".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:32 

Quite possibly the worst defence of an underage sex scandal I've come across.

Quote:
Alabama's state auditor Jim Zeigler came under fire on Thursday for his remarks defending Mr Moore.
He was quoted as saying that even if the Washington Post report were true, "it's much ado about very little".
Mr Zeigler told the Washington Times newspaper: "Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus.

BBC

Ray Moore is not the Messiah, he's just a very naughty boy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:34 
Paws for thought

The sad thing is that he could probably admit it, and he'd still get the votes because he's not a democrat.

Alabama...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:34 

https://twitter.com/KEBrightbill/status ... 0679859200

Very good Twitter thread at why American evangelical Christians are just fine with this stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:33 
Gogmagog

As we talked about a while back, on
past things being pulled up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:52 

One of our local Tory MPs is again facing a backlash after being caught lying (again) about not being invited to several Remembrance services being held by the (Labour) unitary authority.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:09 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That's not so much mendacious as just plain dumb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:18 
Paws for thought

Cras wrote:
That's not so much mendacious as just plain dumb

Or relies on PAUL to tell her things like this and didn't get told.
And daftly didn't check before getting stupidly OUTRAGED.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:36 

Looks like Mugabe's on his way out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:07 

Booted out or swinging from a lamp post out?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:09 
Awesome
Yes

markg wrote:
Booted out or swinging from a lamp post out?

"Bloodless transition".

He's 93.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:09 
Gogmagog

Unsure. Army playing it coy it seems at present.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 15:28 
Gogmagog

Equality News Hour!

Quote:
SHIPLEY MP Philip Davies said men and women should be treated the same when they commit a crime.

He said a crime was the same regardless who committed it and there was no justification for treating people differently based on their sex. ...He said: “It is fair to say that I am often pilloried for arguing that men and women should be treated equally.

"I do not see that there is anything particularly controversial in that, but it never ceases to amaze me how often I am accused of being a misogynist, sexist, or some other term of abuse, merely for saying that men and women should be treated equally before the law."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 15:47 
UltraMod

Women are treated differently in court because a patriarchal society deems them to be the main caregiver when it comes to children and the judge will think about the children's lives when sentencing. If Davies spent more time trying to smash those misconceptions then everything else would fall into place. He's putting the cart before the horse.

That's being kind to him really. He's actually a disingenuous cunt.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 16:28 
Gogmagog

A brief look see suggests that "Main carer/has caring responsibilities " was used by 30% of women, and 9% of men, in cases of theft, dishonesty or fraud during a study period.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 15:47 

MPs to slam door in woman's face.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 17:51 

The ever-excellent Michael Deacon
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11 ... easy-tips/

Quote:
On Wednesday, the Chancellor Philip Hammond is expected to use his Budget to help young people get on the property ladder. But should this really be the responsibility of the State? Isn’t there more that the young could do to solve their problems themselves?

Here we present seven simple tips for millennials on how to buy a house.

Be born earlier. All too many young people today didn’t get round to being born until the late 1980s, or even the 1990s. As a result of their tardiness, they were much too late to take advantage of low house prices. Those who had the foresight to be born in the 1950s and 60s, by contrast, have been justly rewarded for their “get-up-and-go”. If you were born too late, be sure not to make the same mistake again.

Inherit wealth. Inheriting wealth is an excellent way to pay for that first big deposit. Increasing numbers of young people, however, commit the textbook error of growing up in a poor family. Carry out a detailed assessment of your parents’ income. If it’s less than £250,000 per annum, are you sure they’re the right parents for you? Shop around for the best deal. Ideally, look for parents approaching retirement with no other offspring and a medium-sized buy-to-let portfolio.

Make sacrifices. To help you save for a deposit, avoid wasting money on trivial inessentials, such as foreign holidays, new iPhones, nights out, taxis, coffees, takeaways, alcohol, clothing, heating, rent and food.

Make your savings work harder. With interest rates low, high street banks are currently delivering little for savers. Instead, try funnelling £20million into an offshore tax haven.

Boost your earning power. Struggling financially? Consider making some extra cash on the side by becoming a 1960s rock star, Russian oligarch, chief executive of Walmart or monarch.

Club together. If you don’t have enough money to buy a property on your own, think about buying jointly. A two-bed flat in London Zone 4 should be well within your reach if you pool resources with just 60 of your closest friends.

Be patient. Remember that property prices can fall as well as rise. At some point in the next 18-24 months, an economic disaster of unimaginable magnitude should bring houses down to a much more affordable level – and, thanks to your youth and superior physical fitness, you’ll be in an excellent position to fight off competitors in the desperate looting of banks, supermarkets and high-street shops. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:05 

The BBC are saying that the Chancellor is going to announce a railcard for those aged 25-30. I'm far too old to benefit but this is on the whole a good thing. I've never understood, however, why we don't just scrap the panoply of cards and just copy Deutsche Bahn's 'Bahncard' scheme, where discounts are available to everyone who has bought a card rather than targeted groups.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:16 

I don't get it either. The administration costs of looking after this myriad of railcards would surely be saved by just having one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:50 
UltraMod

Or cheaper fares.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:55 
Gogmagog

Lonewolves wrote:
Or cheaper fares.

Unionised labour calls for higher wages, doesn't it?

Reply to topic  [ 14340 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228 ... 287  Next