Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256 ... 288  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 16:28 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

There goes the majority

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/ ... 2961408001

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 16:37 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

By my calculations, Johnson would have to make it to 22 Nov to not be the shortest serving UK Prime Minister. Seeing as that falls a decent chunk after the Brexit date, I reckon that's good chance of happening.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 16:46 

I think I'd like him to go on 23rd November then. I don't want him to have the honour of achieving anything, even a trivia answer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:58 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/statu ... 3691330561

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:04 

https://twitter.com/pippacrerar/status/ ... 7888868354

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:08 
Unpossible!

Rees-Mogg is exactly the sort of Tory that stops the Tories doing better in elections. He's so unashamedly a public school silver spoon plummy voiced pig violater.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:18 

Him, Boris and Gove all sat next to each other right at the front. The best the country has to offer. Honestly don't think we would fare any worse if they grabbed the first three people in off the street. Our parliament is just a fucking embarrassing spectacle. The jeering, the speaker knobhead bellowing shite like "BE A GOOD BOY!", the turn of the last century "zingers". It's like they're all still at their public schools. It'll never happen but tear the whole fucking thing down, get rid of the stupid ancient bullshit and at least pretend to treat it as though it's serious business.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:46 
Comfortably Dumb

I made the mistake of seeing what the locals thought about yesterday's events. For those that don't follow politics, they just thinks their vote isn't being respected and Boris is great, somehow.

My 'favourite' comment -

Attachment:
fb.PNG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:49 

That's half the country right there. They don't follow it or generally have a fucking clue about anything. Which is why the dozy cunts voted leave to begin with.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:00 
Hibernating Druid

It's amazing how much power a Union Jacked headline on a tabloid has over these people.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:22 

devilman wrote:
I made the mistake of seeing what the locals thought about yesterday's events. For those that don't follow politics, they just thinks their vote isn't being respected and Boris is great, somehow.

My 'favourite' comment -

Attachment:
fb.PNG

Geeezus, that’s depressing. I try to read some of the ‘other’ side’s thoughts in these things, occasionally, when I can stomach it, because we exist in an echo chamber over this, but I can’t find one comment of substance there. It’s jyst ‘leave means leave’ and ‘go Boris’ with no thought or reasoning.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:53 
Comfortably Dumb

Mimi wrote:
devilman wrote:

My 'favourite' comment -

Attachment:
fb.PNG

Geeezus, that’s depressing. I try to read some of the ‘other’ side’s thoughts in these things, occasionally, when I can stomach it, because we exist in an echo chamber over this, but I can’t find one comment of substance there. It’s jyst ‘leave means leave’ and ‘go Boris’ with no thought or reasoning.

That was the reason I went looking there too. It doesn't help that I'm in a very pro-Brexit area, but anyone who chimes in with any kind of reasonable logic just gets shouted down.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:46 
Hello Hello Hello

This PMQs is fab, Johnson is getting fucking hammered by everyone. (Apart from the patsy questions from some Tories. Grieve annihilated him though.)

The mask has well and truly slipped.

Corbyn was unexpectedly great, although in fairness he was good last night as well.

Attachment:
shysterfuck.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:59 
Esoteric

markg wrote:
That's half the country right there. They don't follow it or generally have a fucking clue about anything. Which is why the dozy cunts voted leave to begin with.

Just because people voted leave it doesn't mean they're stupid or racist. That's a serious mistake to make. They just don't agree with you, so branding them stupid is a big mistake to make.

At least if anything they have exposed what the actual problem is. IE a bunch of narcissistic silver spoon cunts who couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

I think what has upset me the most as a complete neutral has been the reaction of those who wanted to remain. Hurling out insults and throwing toys out of a pram. They keep going on about democracy but would bend and break any rule they can to keep us in the EU. Whilst of course branding everyone else stupid and racist.

Corbyn is carrying on like Hitler, desperately trying to be PM even if it's just for one day... It's just fucking nuts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:07 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Oh fuck off. Vote Leave try and shut down parliament to enforce a wrecking no deal Brexit that will ruin the economy and it's remainers trying to bend the rules?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:11 
Esoteric

Cras wrote:
Oh fuck off. Vote Leave try and shut down parliament to enforce a wrecking no deal Brexit that will ruin the economy and it's remainers trying to bend the rules?

They're all at it. Both sides.

As I've said before the shit show has been remarkable and continues to be so. That's no reason to insult people. Like a regular vote people usually do so for their own reasons and for what suits them. That doesn't mean they're stupid dumb or racist. It just means they did so for different reasons.

The political system, however, is damaged beyond repair IMO. We really ought to try something else because it's clearly broken beyond repair.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:14 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Voting leave at the time? Absolutely. Many people had many different and varied reasons for doing so.

Still support it now, with everything we've learned since the vote, not least the nature of its champions? You're either stupid or a particularly nasty person.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:14 

The problem is that the referendum was a simple in/out vote on a deeply complicated topic, with no agreed definition of what "out" means. So when people complain that we're not "out" yet, I would like to know how they would define "out", and what their particular solutions to any potential problems that might arise based on how they define "out".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:17 

Cras wrote:
Voting leave at the time? Absolutely. Many people had many different and varied reasons for doing so.

Still support it now, with everything we've learned since the vote, not least the nature of its champions? You're either stupid or a particularly nasty person.

Was about to post :this: almost word for word.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:18 
Gogmagog

"it's a very nuanced situation"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:18 

Kern wrote:
The problem is that the referendum was a simple in/out vote on a deeply complicated topic, with no agreed definition of what "out" means. So when people complain that we're not "out" yet, I would like to know how they would define "out", and what their particular solutions to any potential problems that might arise based on how they define "out".

TRAITOROUS SCUM!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:20 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Actually stupid is possibly a little unfair. I include in that category the tribal cognitive dissonance that leads people to ignore any information or analysis that runs counter to their established worldview, which is think is a huge amount of people. Holding to a position despite overwhelming evidence that it's disastrous to avoid being proved to have voted 'wrong' at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:21 

Cras wrote:
Actually stupid is possibly a little unfair. I include in that category the tribal cognitive dissonance that leads people to ignore any information or analysis that runs counter to their established worldview, which is think is a huge amount of people. Holding to a position despite overwhelming evidence that it's disastrous to avoid being proved to have voted 'wrong' at the time.

Yeah, they're the nasty ones.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:22 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

No, I don't think that's the case. Willfully blind is one thing. I reserve nasty for the people who just want the forrins to go away, and the disaster capitalists.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:22 
Esoteric

Cras wrote:

Nah.

In the area I live it's destroyed the working class. Mostly because allowing in anyone from the EU allows the greedy to have access to cheap labour. That's great for businesses but not so great for people just needing a job. They'll most likely not be able to afford a living because they simply don't get paid enough.

What we've been told since is all speculation. The fact that nobody seems to know is the problem. Cameron rushed in thinking he couldn't lose and did. Egg, face. Since then it's just been proven how badly broken our government is and exposed it for what it really is.

If you want to be angry be angry at them. It's their fault. Blaming it on, for example a fisherman who is losing his business is just ludicrous. The EU is not a good for all thing. There are plenty of people with very valid reasons not to want to be in the EU.

As I said, voting is a self serving thing. When a rich man votes for Tories he does so to pay less tax etc etc. Which I'm sure to someone like that would be a valid reason.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Whereabouts is that area, JC?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

JohnCoffey wrote:
In the area I live it's destroyed the working class. Mostly because allowing in anyone from the EU allows the greedy to have access to cheap labour. That's great for businesses but not so great for people just needing a job.

Well, the job's still there. It just didn't go to an English person.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:30 
Esoteric

Cras wrote:
No, I don't think that's the case. Willfully blind is one thing. I reserve nasty for the people who just want the forrins to go away, and the disaster capitalists.

Totally not understanding why people want cheap labour to go away is missing the point. It has nothing to do with where they came from but simply as they are a threat to their daily life. That's not racist. Wanting a job but not being skilled doesn't make you a racist.

You're assuming the whole country has the intelligence and skillset to do well in life. Which is wrong, as that's why we have a working class.

I've been called racist for having these views but in reality half of my cousins are married to black guys and I have many mixed race family members. At a wedding half of us are black or mixed race, for example. I've given two of my "nephews" £1000 BMX bikes. But no, I'm racist because I can see the point of people in my area who want Brexit.

Like I said people need to open up their minds a little bit here.

It's very clear what the problem is, and it's not us poggers.

However we do need to appreciate the enormous call out of our government. You never know we may just get somewhere. There's going to come a point where we call hullshit and something actually gets done.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

JohnCoffey wrote:
Totally not understanding why people want cheap labour to go away is missing the point. It has nothing to do with where they came from

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullshit.

JohnCoffey wrote:
I've been called racist for having these views but in reality half of my cousins are married to black guys and I have many mixed race family members. At a wedding half of us are black or mixed race, for example.

Did you just use the "I can't be racist, some of my friends are black" line?!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:33 
Esoteric

Grim... wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
In the area I live it's destroyed the working class. Mostly because allowing in anyone from the EU allows the greedy to have access to cheap labour. That's great for businesses but not so great for people just needing a job.

Well, the job's still there. It just didn't go to an English person.

The job isn't there because six Polish guys are living ten up in some grotty damp house getting paid £5 an hour which is a fortune to them.

Unfortunately to the working class it's not enough and they could not afford rent etc so they're stuck on benefits.

Come on man, please don't make me point out how stupid and nonsensical a lot of the ways this country works is.

Having cheap labour is only useful to the rich.

Oh and they are family members, not fucking friends. But yeah, of course I had lots of black friends I grew up in fucking Brixton. If I were racist I'd be pretty fucking dead by now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:35 

Cras wrote:

I would argue that being wilfully blind when faced with evidence of, for example, how Brexit (particularly no deal) is likely to risk the lives of people whose lives depend on medicines imported from the EU is, to put it mildly, nasty.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:36 
Esoteric

Oh and as a continuation of my point if my cousin works over 16 hours she loses her family credit and can't afford to live. Tell me, how well does that work?

The whole show is rotten from top to bottom and needs serious sorting out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:36 

Nik wrote:
Cras wrote:

I would argue that being wilfully blind when faced with evidence of, for example, how Brexit (particularly no deal) is likely to risk the lives of people whose lives depend on medicines imported from the EU is, to put it mildly, nasty.

We're through the looking glass, though. Your facts are their hysterical scare stories. They simply do not believe that to be the case.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:37 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It's not a coincidence that the areas that most strongly voted leave are the areas with the lowest levels of migrants from the EU.

It's not real impact, it's fear of imagined impact.

(Oh, and the reason why UK waters aren't being fished by British boats is because of the vast amount of UK fishing boats that sold their quotas to larger fishing concerns in other countries. Nothing to do with the EU and something that won't change on leaving the EU)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:37 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

JohnCoffey wrote:
Oh and as a continuation of my point if my cousin works over 16 hours she loses her family credit and can't afford to live. Tell me, how well does that work?

What's any of that got to do with the EU?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:40 
Sleepyhead

The idea that all of the bad things will go away if we just crash the economy and No Deal Brexit is quite something.

It would lead to more austerity, more ‘crackdowns’ on those out of work or claiming disability allowances, etc. The only people to benefit will be those rich enough to exploit the resultant gaps in the market, or those who have bet against the British economy. That’s why a lot of very rich people keep on banging on about getting No Deal.

Successive British governments have chosen not to use their influence in Europe, and have chosen not to implement the power that they do have re: immigration, fishing, etc. It’s not some weird shadowy EU conspiracy to fuck us over and steal out fish; it’s government policies. The concept that it will change if a millionaire Tory no longer has any connection to Brussels is just pure fantasy.

Esoteric

Cras wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

Nothing it's just another display of how shit this country is. There are many nonsensical rules like this that I've been subjected to. Catch 22s that actually end up costing the govt more than just addressing the actual issue.

The problem is the govt.

Gogmagog

Didn't you used to have a job in the US, JC?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:42 
Sleepyhead

JohnCoffey wrote:
Cras wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

Nothing it's just another display of how shit this country is. There are many nonsensical rules like this that I've been subjected to. Catch 22s that actually end up costing the govt more than just addressing the actual issue.

The problem is the govt.

Yes it is, so why are you blaming the EU and thinking it will magically get better if we leave, when all it will do is give the government carte blanche to do even more of this shit?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:43 
Esoteric

Curiosity wrote:
The idea that all of the bad things will go away if we just crash the economy and No Deal Brexit is quite something.

It would lead to more austerity, more ‘crackdowns’ on those out of work or claiming disability allowances, etc. The only people to benefit will be those rich enough to exploit the resultant gaps in the market, or those who have bet against the British economy. That’s why a lot of very rich people keep on banging on about getting No Deal.

Successive British governments have chosen not to use their influence in Europe, and have chosen not to implement the power that they do have re: immigration, fishing, etc. It’s not some weird shadowy EU conspiracy to fuck us over and steal out fish; it’s government policies. The concept that it will change if a millionaire Tory no longer has any connection to Brussels is just pure fantasy.

I'm fucked either way. Have been since the recession in 2008. I knew it was coming, I was right. I now visit my mental health centre four times a year if I'm lucky. My social worker vanished over a year ago and wasn't replaced etc etc etc.

How can people sit and tell me it's going to get fucking worse when it's already about as bad as it can be?

They throw pills at me like sweets and prefer that I'm just drugged out of my mind so I'll go away. Forgetting that the meds I take cost more than any therapy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:44 

Cras wrote:
It's not a coincidence that the areas that most strongly voted leave are the areas with the lowest levels of migrants from the EU.

It's not real impact, it's fear of imagined impact.

(Oh, and the reason why UK waters aren't being fished by British boats is because of the vast amount of UK fishing boats that sold their quotas to larger fishing concerns in other countries. Nothing to do with the EU and something that won't change on leaving the EU)

There is an argument to be made that some of our exclusive fishing rights were lost as a sop to the French when we joined the EEC. But it wasn't part of that negotiation as such and leaving will do nothing to change it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:45 
Esoteric

MaliA wrote:
Didn't you used to have a job in the US, JC?

Yeah I did.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:47 

markg wrote:
Nik wrote:
Cras wrote:

We're through the looking glass, though. Your facts are their hysterical scare stories. They simply do not believe that to be the case.

And (while admittedly I have a biased point-of-view) this is the problem as I see it: to the likes of Johnson, Rees-Mogg, Gove etc. Brexit is a game, where they get to stand up in parliament and spout alliterative nonsense, invoke the "blitz spirit" and "the will of the people" and use the "word" "frit". For some it's the politics of envy (or perhaps, more accurately, the politics of jealousy?) and not liking the Poles etc. For me, and thousands of others, it's literally a matter of life and death, so I hope I can be forgiven for not being enthusiastic about being potentially sacrificed by a frankly batshit government, mostly to appease those who read (and regurgitate) tabloid headlines and inexplicably blame freedom of movement for the faults of the benefits system in England and Wales.

I maintain, anyone still in favour of Brexit is either an idiot, or an arsehole, or both.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

JohnCoffey wrote:
The job isn't there because six Polish guys are living ten up in some grotty damp house getting paid £5 an hour which is a fortune to them.

Yeah, so this is a properly racist thing to say.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:53 
Esoteric

Curiosity wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
Cras wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

The problem is the govt.

Yes it is, so why are you blaming the EU and thinking it will magically get better if we leave, when all it will do is give the government carte blanche to do even more of this shit?

I'm not blaming the EU and I'm not blaming those who voted to remain, nor calling anyone stupid racist or ignorant.

That's the point. I've not come in here hurling insults and tarring anyone with a brush.

This should have all been sorted a long, long time ago. It hadn't been, and has exposed our political system for what it is. That is what the problem is, that is who is to blame.

The vote shouldn't have even happened, but when it did all it did was piss off people who were fucked off with our country for whatever reason and got them out voting.

People just can't accept that there are perfectly valid reasons for not wanting to be in the EU. But, modern liberal passive aggressives just force things down people's throats expecting them to accept it because no violence or rude words were used.

And, for many including myself things could not be any worse so what the fuck you got to lose, right?

Putting out advertising campaigns saying men should be able to talk about depression and putting Prince Harry on the TV does absolutely fuck all. It's just another lazy liberal excuse to say "hey look we've fixed it!"

The reality for someone like me is actually disgusting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:53 
Esoteric

Grim... wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

Yeah, so this is a properly racist thing to say.

No, it actually isn't. Not when it's reality.

To add to this. Why? Because you assume I said it in a demoralising way?

There's loads of of going on around here. Slavery and a sorts. You assume I'm happy about that?

I'm not. They're being exploited and it fucking sucks. But sadly it is reality. That is happening.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:55 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You've just said that there aren't valid reasons for leaving the EU and that people voted because it was a protest vote at government, then said there are valid reasons for voting to leave the EU.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:56 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

JohnCoffey wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

I'm fucked either way. Have been since the recession in 2008. I knew it was coming, I was right. I now visit my mental health centre four times a year if I'm lucky. My social worker vanished over a year ago and wasn't replaced etc etc etc.

How can people sit and tell me it's going to get fucking worse when it's already about as bad as it can be?

They throw pills at me like sweets and prefer that I'm just drugged out of my mind so I'll go away. Forgetting that the meds I take cost more than any therapy.

Oh, jeez, it can get vastly worse. That 4 times a year can cut to 0. Any benefits you are entitled to can be cut. You could be charged much more for the meds. Social services and policing levels in your area could be cut. Businesses in your area can go bust, leading to more deprevation in general. If you depend on LHA for your rent, that could be taken away. Council Tax Support can be removed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:58 

JC, can I ask: have any of the pills you take been mentioned in connection with potential shortages/delays due to Brexit?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 13:59 
Esoteric

Squirt wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Oh, jeez, it can get vastly worse. That 4 times a year can cut to 0. Any benefits you are entitled to can be cut. You could be charged much more for the meds. Social services and policing levels in your area could be cut. Businesses in your area can go bust, leading to more deprevation in general. If you depend on LHA for your rent, that could be taken away. Council Tax Support can be removed.

Couldn't give a fuck. It'll probably just lead to my suicide.

I wouldn't miss this world and would be far better off.

Reply to topic  [ 14352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256 ... 288  Next