Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224 ... 287  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:55 
EvilTrousers

MaliA wrote:
Trousers wrote:
Kern wrote:
This is likely to happen more and more. Everyone was a dick and said cringy things at some point in their youth. Unfortunately, people aren't going to accept the 'I was an ignorant teenager/edgy 20-something but have grown up and moved on a heck of a lot' line, and it's only ever going to be an easy way to remove someone.

Yeah it's like when a youthful 60 year old Trump said about grabbing women by the pussy and then he never became president. Imagine the clusterfuck that would be happening now if that tape hadn't come out?

oh.

Outrage only really works with the left as they turn on themselves along with the right with a "Pile on" mentality, whereas the right close ranks or go into damage limitation mode. None of those fuckers ever says sorry.

The left need to do that as there is competition to show who is the most ideologically pure.

SPLITTERS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:07 
Gogmagog

Trousers wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Trousers wrote:
Kern wrote:
This is likely to happen more and more. Everyone was a dick and said cringy things at some point in their youth. Unfortunately, people aren't going to accept the 'I was an ignorant teenager/edgy 20-something but have grown up and moved on a heck of a lot' line, and it's only ever going to be an easy way to remove someone.

Yeah it's like when a youthful 60 year old Trump said about grabbing women by the pussy and then he never became president. Imagine the clusterfuck that would be happening now if that tape hadn't come out?

oh.

Outrage only really works with the left as they turn on themselves along with the right with a "Pile on" mentality, whereas the right close ranks or go into damage limitation mode. None of those fuckers ever says sorry.

The left need to do that as there is competition to show who is the most ideologically pure.

SPLITTERS

Heh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:34 
Gogmagog

Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
This is why I'd never run for public office. Too many skeletons from my younger years!

You know, I'm not sure that's the biggest barrier to your election.

You would say that, centrist scum

This is one of the issues I have with The Left (and The Right). It's binary, very much "for or against", "our way or wrong". In NuNuLabLand, this manifests as faith in the one true saviour as "he's the right side of history". Any critiscm of ideas, policies or actions is met with a wave of hostility. This is even directed against journalists (also, I suspect Laura K gets more as she's a woman) who are part of the mainstream media plot against The Left. It's silo'd cult thinking with very little room for course correction, with a reluctance to hold a mirror up to themselves, instead needing a 2 minute hate against anyone with a nuance of doubt of the effectiveness of The Plan who isn't in The Club. The reverence and "he can do no wrong" attitude sits uncomfortably with me as there is no critical thinking, just "wouldn't it be great...?".

There was originally a point, but I've lost it somewhere but it is something like building a country on memes, slogans and skipping the hard questions isn't a great idea.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:51 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
This is why I'd never run for public office. Too many skeletons from my younger years!

You know, I'm not sure that's the biggest barrier to your election.

You would say that, centrist scum

This is one of the issues I have with The Left (and The Right). It's binary, very much "for or against", "our way or wrong". In NuNuLabLand, this manifests as faith in the one true saviour as "he's the right side of history". Any critiscm of ideas, policies or actions is met with a wave of hostility. This is even directed against journalists (also, I suspect Laura K gets more as she's a woman) who are part of the mainstream media plot against The Left. It's silo'd cult thinking with very little room for course correction, with a reluctance to hold a mirror up to themselves, instead needing a 2 minute hate against anyone with a nuance of doubt of the effectiveness of The Plan who isn't in The Club. The reverence and "he can do no wrong" attitude sits uncomfortably with me as there is no critical thinking, just "wouldn't it be great...?".

There was originally a point, but I've lost it somewhere but it is something like building a country on memes, slogans and skipping the hard questions isn't a great idea.

Myp and I align in wanting a fair and just society for all, for example, but we differ in what happens next. I view it as the state should provide opportunities for people to learn and develop (whilst keeping them safe and secure), and encourage them to do their best to get optimum results. This basis (a well run welfare and support system) would would then let people pursue jobs and careers in an efficient economy with the state only acting as a guiding hand in severe circunstances. Private enterprise will be rewarded as this funds the basic services of societybthrough taxation.

Myp wants everyone to work in a bakery on the same wage producing slightly less bread than is needed whilst smog from the tractor factories gives everyone asbestosis and it rains all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:00 

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publi ... -17/108255

Interesting tidbit: DoE expects 40-45% of student loans to never be repaid.

Quote:
The impact of this can be seen in changes to the Resource Accounting and Budgeting (RAB) charge, which measures the proportion of loan outlay that we expect not to be repaid when future repayments are valued in present terms.

The RAB charge for higher education student loans was estimated to be around 30%. Following all of the changes to the student finance system outlined in the Written Ministerial Statement of 9 October 2017, which include the increase to the lower and upper interest rate thresholds and the increase to the repayment threshold, we estimate this will increase to 40-45%.

They should sack loans off and replace it with a proper graduate tax. It'd be clearer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:02 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Or just stick a percentage point on the higher rate of income tax and be done with it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:51 

MaliA wrote:
Myp and I align in wanting a fair and just society for all, for example, but we differ in what happens next.

The same is true of Tories as well, Mali, and in fact 99% of humanity. Most people aren't intrinsically bad, and most people genuinely want a fairer, nicer, more equitable society.
As ever, the (sole) disagreement arises from how best to execute this/the required methology - but not the objective.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 13:20 

Sure, but I think there's a pretty big extent to which some people are attracted to methodologies which benefit them first and foremost.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 13:34 
Gogmagog

markg wrote:
Sure, but I think there's a pretty big extent to which some people are attracted to methodologies which benefit them first and foremost.

I read somewhere that less well off people (skilfully avoiding a judgmental term, good work MaliA) vote tory as they see themselves as soon to be rich so the policies that negatively change their current position were thought to be less important.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 13:35 
Gogmagog

Cavey wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Myp and I align in wanting a fair and just society for all, for example, but we differ in what happens next.

The same is true of Tories as well, Mali, and in fact 99% of humanity. Most people aren't intrinsically bad, and most people genuinely want a fairer, nicer, more equitable society.
As ever, the (sole) disagreement arises from how best to execute this/the required methology - but not the objective.

Yeah, and often it is about making the least bad decision.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 13:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MaliA wrote:
markg wrote:

I read somewhere that less well off people (skilfully avoiding a judgmental term, good work MaliA) vote tory as they see themselves as soon to be rich so the policies that negatively change their current position were thought to be less important.

That is very much the case in the US. The ethos of the American dream means that the less well off see themselves as temporarily disadvantaged, and thus disapprove of things like taxation of the wealthy because it could affect them some day.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 13:41 
Gogmagog

In a break from our planning Utopia, read about an aeroplane that has been keeping a watchful eye over Baltimore.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 13:43 

Cras wrote:
That is very much the case in the US. The ethos of the American dream means that the less well off see themselves as temporarily disadvantaged, and thus disapprove of things like taxation of the wealthy because it could affect them some day.

Mrs T's logic behind selling off the council houses was to make the occupants homeowners and thus more likely to be Tory now they were property owners too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 13:44 
EvilTrousers

Cavey wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I'm assuming you accept Boris, Gove and JRM all fall into that 1% of people only out to further their own career?

I would say there's a fair few more Tories with naked, untrammelled ambition as their key driver rather than a fairer society.

I even thought Thatcher was at least doing what she thought was right - there's far too many of the current mob just looking out for number one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 13:58 

Kern wrote:
Cras wrote:

Mrs T's logic behind selling off the council houses was to make the occupants homeowners and thus more likely to be Tory now they were property owners too.

Call me naive but I think Thatcher was for the most part driven by a simple, genuine desire to provide a serious catalyst and game changing, new found upwards mobility for the masses, as distinct from row upon row of decaying, state controlled housing.

I seriously doubt it was all some evil plot to create Tory voters.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 14:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cavey wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Sadly, I no longer think that's true for any of the parties.

Objective #1 is to stay in power - all other things are secondary.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 14:53 

Grim... wrote:

Of course. If you believe Labour are feckless idiots who cannot be trusted to run a bath, you must, at all costs, keep them out of power to prevent the harm they'd do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 15:00 
Unpossible!

Why, I believe I'll vote for a third party candidate!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 15:28 
UltraMod

Bakery jobs for all, comrades!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 15:56 
Hibernating Druid

Let them eat cake!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:40 

Grim... wrote:
Cavey wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Sadly, I no longer think that's true for any of the parties.

I don’t agree, though perhaps that possibility is just too ghastly for me to contemplate.
For me, I have to believe that people only enter into the pretty awful world of politics and all the attendant scrutiny of public life for damn good reason: a genuine belief and desire, however misplaced, that they can do good, for the highest possible number of people. I mean, otherwise, there are so much easier, less risky ways to make a far better living.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I think most of them want to be important.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:44 

If you're rich, ugly and really want to be famous then it's a pretty good option.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:45 
Paws for thought

Cavey wrote:
For me, I have to believe that people only enter into the pretty awful world of politics and all the attendant scrutiny of public life for damn good reason: a genuine belief and desire, however misplaced, that they can do good, for the highest possible number of people. I mean, otherwise, there are so much easier, less risky ways to make a far better living.

Trump.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:53 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The exercise of power is often a pretty hefty motivator too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:57 

markg wrote:
If you're rich, ugly and really want to be famous then it's a pretty good option.

:D

I guess I mean 'most' politicians; those who enter into it at, or close to, ground floor level as it were, and have to 'graft' their way to the top (relatively speaking), as opposed to rich/notorious celeb types who manage to parachute themselves in from the get go. This doesn't really apply to the UK much, but it's certainly true of America, e.g. Trump, Schwarzenegger, Reagan etc.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Schwarzenegger was pretty good, wasn't he?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:21 

Grim... wrote:
Schwarzenegger was pretty good, wasn't he?

Dunno. I was just using him as an example of someone who probably just fancied the high profile and kudos side of things, and was able to jump right in at the top, due to shitloads of cash at his disposal, and celebrity status.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:28 

I dunno I just think it stretches credibility to believe that all those Bullingdon Club twats were all driven by a desire to serve others. Especially when you look at how they behave, even with one another.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:28 

He had a couple of bad scandals if I remember, but politically he was pretty sound - although I realise that will depend on your left/right leaning.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap wrote:
He had a couple of bad scandals if I remember, but politically he was pretty sound - although I realise that will depend on your left/right leaning.

He was a fairly left-wing Repulican, IIRC. He even had a Democrat as his chief of staff.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:32 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

He was pretty strong on labour rights too, iirc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 13:04 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
GazChap wrote:

He was a fairly left-wing Repulican, IIRC. He even had a Democrat as his chief of staff.

Well, Californian republican is, to a certain extent, different to an alabama republican. Bigotry is less of a selling point

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 13:33 

markg wrote:
I dunno I just think it stretches credibility to believe that all those Bullingdon Club twats were all driven by a desire to serve others. Especially when you look at how they behave, even with one another.

Boris Johnson: yeah, even I'd tend to agree.
You'll doubtless scoff, but I actually think David Cameron is a decent enough bloke, from what I can tell. I mean, he can't help being posh, and having been exposed to all the stuff posh people do in their public schools, posh clubs or whatever else it may be. (He probably wouldn't like some of the working class stuff I got up to in my youth either, and I'm a nice chap :p )

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 13:40 
Bad Girl

Yes, we’ve all done some “working class stuff” in our youth. FFS.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 13:42 

Er, what?

Dr Lave wrote:

Bad Girl

Yeah, exactly.

You know I think I mostly agree with cavey. I do think most MPs are in it because they want to do something positive, however badly they're going about it, even the PM. Some of them, though. It's like it's a fucking game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 13:44 

markg wrote:
You know I think I mostly agree with cavey. I do think most MPs are in it because they want to do something positive, however badly they're going about it, even the PM. Some of them, though. It's like it's a fucking game.

Awesome :kiss:

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 13:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cavey wrote:
Er, what?

You're not allowed to say "working-class" if it has negative connotations. You can only be negative about upper or middle classes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 13:59 

Grim... wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Er, what?

You're not allowed to say "working-class" if it has negative connotations. You can only be negative about upper or middle classes.

Ah, I see. :DD

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 14:01 
Hibernating Druid

Cavey wrote:
You'll doubtless scoff, but I actually think David Cameron is a decent enough bloke, from what I can tell. I mean, he can't help being posh, and having been exposed to all the stuff posh people do in their public schools, posh clubs or whatever else it may be. (He probably wouldn't like some of the working class stuff I got up to in my youth either, and I'm a nice chap :p )

Tell that to the pig he fucked.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 14:03 

Zardoz wrote:
Cavey wrote:

Tell that to the pig he fucked.

Well, I was kind of alluding to alleged stuff like that, Z, but thanks for clarifying further. :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 14:13 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Er, what?

Which is unfair as you're burdening the sins of the father on to the child.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 14:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

There are no sins, doofus.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 15:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Quote:
Speaker: "I said the prime minister will be heard.."
Labour MP jokes: "That's you, Jeremy!"

At PMQs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 16:03 

Cras wrote:
Quote:
Speaker: "I said the prime minister will be heard.."
Labour MP jokes: "That's you, Jeremy!"

At PMQs

Fucking hell, that's enough doom-mongering for one day, man. :D
Brrrrr. /shudders

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 17:26 
sneering elitist

GazChap wrote:

More doom and gloom to add to your list :(

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ales-crash

Quote:
CBI survey shows biggest monthly decline in retail sales since recession of 2009 with inflation to blame

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 17:43 

I had a quick skim-read, Jem, and the bit that struck me was this little snippet:

Quote:
That comes after the UK retail sector recorded its lowest growth rate in four years

Hang on, lowest growth?

If you then click on the linked text, you get this:

Quote:
Almost all of the 1.2% growth over the past year has come from improving online sales as consumer seek bargains away from the high street.

Ian Geddes, the head of retail at the consultancy Deloitte, said: “Online sales values have increased by 14% year on year. It now accounts for 17% of all retail spending, with consumers spending £1.2bn a week.

“Recent company results have shown that online marketplaces have performed particularly well. We expect they are likely to continue to see sales growth in the coming months.

“Consumers like the convenience of being able to shop for big-name brands and niche labels all from the same online portal, as evident by the 40% growth in online sales of clothing and footwear this month.”

Look, I'm not claiming that 1.2% growth in the UK retail sector is somehow amazeballs or anything, but it's not exactly meltdown either! (DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(tm) )
It's probably much more to do with people not shopping in Debenhams stores since 1998 or whatever, surely? Who seriously still trundles down to Debenhams instead of clicking on Amazon in this day and age? Pfft. I give The Guardian 219/1000. :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 17:51 
sneering elitist

Cavey wrote:
Look, I'm not claiming that 1.2% growth in the UK retail sector is somehow amazeballs or anything, but it's not exactly meltdown either! (DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(tm) )
It's probably much more to do with people not shopping in Debenhams stores since 1998 or whatever, surely? Who seriously still trundles down to Debenhams instead of clicking on Amazon in this day and age? Pfft. I give The Guardian 219/1000. :D

Haha :) well I personally don't shop in Debenhams since they fucked up my wedding dress order :DD

Reply to topic  [ 14350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224 ... 287  Next