Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 11911 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215 ... 239  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:34 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13457
Location: Oxford
Superb. Whenever I learn a new word I try to use it three times that day. The unmasking of Jim Carey was the 'Truman Show'.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:35 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13457
Location: Oxford
And today's annoying clickbait article on the Guardian website is the one where the journalist has to travel by train at short notice and discovers it's a bit pricey.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:17 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 64760
Location: Your Mum
Kern wrote:
Superb. Whenever I learn a new word I try to use it three times that day. The unmasking of Jim Carey was the 'Truman Show'.

Surely it was the end of The Mask?

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:17 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 64760
Location: Your Mum
Er, spoilers.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:22 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 64760
Location: Your Mum
Kern wrote:
And today's annoying clickbait article on the Guardian website is the one where the journalist has to travel by train at short notice and discovers it's a bit pricey.
Quote:
The A1 has its own landmarks – the old Little Chefs that are now sex shops and, erm, the roundabouts – but oddly, it doesn’t compare.

That's right near where I live - in fact, it's literally next door the barbecue shop that I use (which gave Gaywood and Craster more of a hard on when we visited than any sex shop ever could).

I like the way she missed out actual landmarks. I mean, there's even a book.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:27 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13457
Location: Oxford
One of the joys of driving in the southern US is that the sex shops tend to be right next to churches, suggesting a natural order to one's visits.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:37 
User avatar
Soopah red DS

Joined: 2nd Jun, 2008
Posts: 1982
Kern wrote:
One of the joys of driving in the southern US is that the sex shops tend to be right next to churches, suggesting a natural order to one's visits.

See also West Reading. Chippy, flower shop, sex shop, church.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 13:07 
User avatar
Rude Belittler

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 4560
West Reading: Best weddings in the country!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 19:35 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44057
Location: West Yorkshire
crime time!

Quote:
WEST Yorkshire Police officers had to resort to using force more than 7,500 times over a three month period this year.

Data released for the first time shows tasers were used 62 times, an irritant spray was used 132 times and police dogs bit offenders four times in the period April 1 to June 30.

Spit guards were used on 14 occasions, ground restraint was used on 216 occasions and there were 1,092 occasions of non-compliant handcuffing.

Compliant handcuffing amounted to 2,147 incidents.
A shield was used once and a baton ten times.

Tactical (verbal) communication was used on 2,554 occasions to resolve an incident.

In all, force was used by officers 7,680 times in order to carry out their duties and there were 218 occasions when police staff were physically injured.


Ruff stuff

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:34 
User avatar
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Joined: 31st Mar, 2008
Posts: 5355
Does Tactical Verbal Communication mean "talking"?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:35 
User avatar
EvilTrousers

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3070
Squirt wrote:
Does Tactical Verbal Communication mean "talking"?


Sort of.

The police shout "Look behind you" and when they do, on go the cuffs. Tactical.

_________________
Everyone but Zardoz is better than me at videogames.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:44 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44185
Location: The erogenous zone
Squirt wrote:
Does Tactical Verbal Communication mean "talking"?

They shout "Bang! Bang!".

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 13:20 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 64760
Location: Your Mum
"It's the Goodyear blimp!"

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 15:47 
User avatar
Decapodian

Joined: 15th Oct, 2010
Posts: 3432
Squirt wrote:
Does Tactical Verbal Communication mean "talking"?


Yep, starts at talking and goes up to shouting that you have a police dog/taser/gun that you'll use if needed.

https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/sit ... olicy2.pdf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 16:07 
User avatar
EvilTrousers

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 3070
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
police dog/taser/gun


Attachment:
dawg.jpg


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
Everyone but Zardoz is better than me at videogames.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:12 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44057
Location: West Yorkshire
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... t-backlash

Oh, Owen.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:22 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 51322
Location: Nottingham
MaliA wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/09/prime-minister-corbyn-very-british-coup-establishment-backlash

Oh, Owen.

Seems pretty reasonable if you read the whole thing.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:32 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44057
Location: West Yorkshire
Lonewolves wrote:
MaliA wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/09/prime-minister-corbyn-very-british-coup-establishment-backlash

Oh, Owen.

Seems pretty reasonable if you read the whole thing.


The government is a puppet to a shadowy cabal that would endeauvour to stop a Labour Land of Milk and Honey?

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:47 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13457
Location: Oxford
Ah, I love Harold Wilson conspiracies. The stories get a bit murky, but whilst it seems likely that whilst there were some right-wing fantasists, there were never enough to be taken seriously. There's also the issue of his Alzheimer's and how far it had progressed by then. Never really know how to take the story about him seeing tanks at Heathrow.

Of course, they just want you to think that it was the real Harold Wilson Prime-Ministering from 1974-1976.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:26 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Nov, 2008
Posts: 9521
Location: The Golden Country
I got halfway through the first paragraph where he describes himself as a 'Corbyn supporter', snorted, LOLed for real, then closed the browser page.

Brass neck doesn't even begin to cover it; who honestly still listens to what this twerp has to say, even on the "googly eyed" [(c) Ross Greer] Left?

_________________
Beware of gavia articulata oculos...

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:28 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44057
Location: West Yorkshire
Cavey wrote:
I got halfway through the first paragraph where he describes himself as a 'Corbyn supporter', snorted, LOLed for real, then closed the browser page.

Brass neck doesn't even begin to cover it; who honestly still listens to what this twerp has to say, even on the "googly eyed" [(c) Ross Greer] Left?


Read it all. You will love it.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 14:30 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 26th May, 2008
Posts: 298
Kern wrote:
Ah, I love Harold Wilson conspiracies. The stories get a bit murky, but whilst it seems likely that whilst there were some right-wing fantasists, there were never enough to be taken seriously. There's also the issue of his Alzheimer's and how far it had progressed by then. Never really know how to take the story about him seeing tanks at Heathrow.

Of course, they just want you to think that it was the real Harold Wilson Prime-Ministering from 1974-1976.


I'm never sure either, but there's some evidence (at least from Spycatcher et al) that some in the security services were not…best pleased with him being PM. And looking back at BBC/ITV documentaries at the time (obscure British doc hunting on YouTube is such a mine of nostalgia for a time I never knew!), there's definitely a sense that Heath/Wilson couldn't control the country and that a 'stern hand is needed' (Mountbatten always turns up at this point, but in almost all the stories, refuses to have anything to do with it).

And the tanks really were parked in Heathrow - though the reason given was possible IRA action at the airport.

EDIT: And hey, guess who didn't read the article! My defence is that I'm now an American citizen and don't do silly things like read ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:54 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13457
Location: Oxford
Peter St. John wrote:
My defence is that I'm now an American citizen and don't do silly things like read ;)


Congratulations! Was the test better than the UK one?

This wasn't your first political action? ;) Seriously, what's the mood like in Durham (I think that's where you are in North Carolina)?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:05 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34033
Blimey, that's terrifying.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:09 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 46947
Kern wrote:
Peter St. John wrote:
My defence is that I'm now an American citizen and don't do silly things like read ;)


Congratulations! Was the test better than the UK one?

This wasn't your first political action? ;) Seriously, what's the mood like in Durham (I think that's where you are in North Carolina)?


https://twitter.com/CharlieReece/status ... 7975416834



_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:14 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34033
Mob mentality scares the shit out of me. The people who tore down that statue were every bit as (deep breath) "swivel eyed" as the racist fucktards the other day. I suspect something horrible is brewing. Possibly using the words "massacre" and "riot"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:24 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13457
Location: Oxford
On the statues issue, the CW Memory blog has some interesting posts about this week's events and historical memory in general.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:27 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Nov, 2008
Posts: 9521
Location: The Golden Country
These fuckers who insist on succumbing to the dubious allure of the political and social spectrum extremes (on either side) annoy the fuck out of me; I agree with DavPaz: S.E.L.s the lot of em.

People need to get real, grow the fuck up and close down Twitter.

_________________
Beware of gavia articulata oculos...

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:34 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 51322
Location: Nottingham
DavPaz wrote:
Mob mentality scares the shit out of me. The people who tore down that statue were every bit as (deep breath) "swivel eyed" as the racist fucktards the other day. I suspect something horrible is brewing. Possibly using the words "massacre" and "riot"

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but you appear to be saying people who oppose nazis are just as bad as nazis.

Please say I've misconstrued

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:39 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 44057
Location: West Yorkshire
Related:

https://thelongestway.com/2017/04/08/i- ... he-antifa/

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:42 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 51322
Location: Nottingham
Punching nazis is fine. They want to eradicate everyone from the earth apart from healthy white people. They deserve violence. Engaging with them has never worked.

I believe violence against fascism helped defeat it in the 40s btw.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:43 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34033
Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Mob mentality scares the shit out of me. The people who tore down that statue were every bit as (deep breath) "swivel eyed" as the racist fucktards the other day. I suspect something horrible is brewing. Possibly using the words "massacre" and "riot"

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but you appear to be saying people who oppose nazis are just as bad as nazis.

Please say I've misconstrued

People who form mobs and destroy things while hooting like howler monkeys are awful, yes.

I agree that the mentioned statues are flashpoints and need to be removed. But destroyed?

Lest we forget and all that. Those that do not learn from the lessons of history, yada yada yada


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:44 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 51322
Location: Nottingham
DavPaz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Mob mentality scares the shit out of me. The people who tore down that statue were every bit as (deep breath) "swivel eyed" as the racist fucktards the other day. I suspect something horrible is brewing. Possibly using the words "massacre" and "riot"

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but you appear to be saying people who oppose nazis are just as bad as nazis.

Please say I've misconstrued

People who form mobs and destroy things while hooting like howler monkeys are awful, yes.

I agree that the mentioned statues are flashpoints and need to be removed. But destroyed?

Lest we forget and all that. Those that do not learn from the lessons of history, yada yada yada

People are angry, and rightly so. Engaging and trying to talk to fascists has never worked. Neither has laughing at them or ignoring them. History shows this.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:44 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34033
Lonewolves wrote:
Punching nazis is fine. They want to eradicate everyone from the earth apart from healthy white people. They deserve violence. Engaging with them has never worked.

I believe violence against fascism helped defeat it in the 40s btw.

Coming from you, this is surprising.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:45 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 51322
Location: Nottingham
DavPaz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Punching nazis is fine. They want to eradicate everyone from the earth apart from healthy white people. They deserve violence. Engaging with them has never worked.

I believe violence against fascism helped defeat it in the 40s btw.

Coming from you, this is surprising.

I am tolerant of everything except intolerance!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:46 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34033
Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Mob mentality scares the shit out of me. The people who tore down that statue were every bit as (deep breath) "swivel eyed" as the racist fucktards the other day. I suspect something horrible is brewing. Possibly using the words "massacre" and "riot"

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but you appear to be saying people who oppose nazis are just as bad as nazis.

Please say I've misconstrued

People who form mobs and destroy things while hooting like howler monkeys are awful, yes.

I agree that the mentioned statues are flashpoints and need to be removed. But destroyed?

Lest we forget and all that. Those that do not learn from the lessons of history, yada yada yada

People are angry, and rightly so. Engaging and trying to talk to fascists has never worked. Neither has laughing at them or ignoring them. History shows this.

I suspect we're having two parallel discussions here. Let's merge


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:48 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13457
Location: Oxford
Having the mayor or town authorities decide to remove the statues is fine. After all, they were originally put up with the consent of their predecessors so this is just the democratic and peaceful process in operation, supported by the force of law. A mob tearing one down in an already tense situation is deliberately provocative and not going to achieve much more than more violence.

Moving on from statues: I'm stunned by how difficult it was for Mr Trump to criticise the far right. That's one of the easiest ways to pick up political points and he didn't take it. Heck, even Mrs May could find the right words. Then I thought about his record, and realised it's not that surprising.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:50 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14789
Lonewolves wrote:
Punching nazis is fine. They want to eradicate everyone from the earth apart from healthy white people. They deserve violence. Engaging with them has never worked.

I believe violence against fascism helped defeat it in the 40s btw.

But there have been Nazis like these everywhere for the whole intervening time. Mostly they just got ignored and hence never really got anywhere. Does one particularly vociferous rally in a town in America mean that the whole world or even the whole of the USA is about to be overrun by Nazis? I very much doubt it. By all means punch one in the face but don't assume that what you are doing might not have precisely the opposite effect to the one you are after.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:52 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34033
Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Punching nazis is fine. They want to eradicate everyone from the earth apart from healthy white people. They deserve violence. Engaging with them has never worked.

I believe violence against fascism helped defeat it in the 40s btw.

Coming from you, this is surprising.

I am tolerant of everything except intolerance!

Violence begets violence, man. Do you think the man in the swastika themed flak jacket with coordinated assault rifle is bothered about an angry student throwing a punch? Do you think he's not itching to murder him some fags?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:52 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 51322
Location: Nottingham
Kern wrote:
Having the mayor or town authorities decide to remove the statues is fine. After all, they were originally put up with the consent of their predecessors so this is just the democratic and peaceful process in operation, supported by the force of law. A mob tearing one down in an already tense situation is deliberately provocative and not going to achieve much more than more violence

So would you have been one of those white moderates who espoused inaction during the Civil Rights movement in America who MLK particularly despised?

Violence is the catalyst for any social change. Sitting around talking about it does nothing. Again, just look at history. Do you think the suffragettes got the vote by sitting around knitting and organising peaceful protests? No, they smashed shit up.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:56 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14789
Lonewolves wrote:
Kern wrote:
Having the mayor or town authorities decide to remove the statues is fine. After all, they were originally put up with the consent of their predecessors so this is just the democratic and peaceful process in operation, supported by the force of law. A mob tearing one down in an already tense situation is deliberately provocative and not going to achieve much more than more violence

So would you have been one of those white moderates who espoused inaction during the Civil Rights movement in America who MLK particularly despised?

Violence is the catalyst for any social change. Sitting around talking about it does nothing. Again, just look at history. Do you think the suffragettes got the vote by sitting around knitting and organising peaceful protests? No, they smashed shit up.

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

Why aren't you at scuffling at EDL marches every weekend, then?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:59 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 51322
Location: Nottingham
I'm not a fighter. But I admire those that stand up against injustice and hate.

Anyway, sorry if I've offended any liberal sensibilities here. I didn't expect much agreement.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:01 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 64760
Location: Your Mum
Next time you choose the music in my presence I'm going to crush your spine.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:01 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13457
Location: Oxford
Lonewolves wrote:
Violence is the catalyst for any social change. Sitting around talking about it does nothing. Again.


It's a case of choosing one's battles. On this, I think the minority white-chino-and-red-hat-clad pathetic right wing scum should be shown up for what they are. I'm not sure they can change, but we can work to ensure that others don't fall for their bullshit or shrug their shoulders and equivocate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:03 
User avatar
Isn't that lovely?

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 9009
Location: Devon
Lonewolves wrote:
I'm not a fighter. But I admire those that stand up against injustice and hate.

Anyway, sorry if I've offended any liberal sensibilities here. I didn't expect much agreement.


My 19 year old son is in full agreement with you, I think I am more on the side of the author of the article that Malia posted, the nazis want a fight, both to prove themselves men, and to point to the violence as a needs to defend themselves. That does not mean do nothing, it means peaceful protest, mockery, exposure and education.

_________________
Where's the Kaboom? I was expecting an Earth shattering Kaboom!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:04 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34033
Lonewolves wrote:
I'm not a fighter. But I admire those that stand up against injustice and hate.

Anyway, sorry if I've offended any liberal sensibilities here. I didn't expect much agreement.

C'mon, you're just trolling now, surely


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:05 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13457
Location: Oxford
It's made me stop wearing my cream M&S chinos, for sure. Dam Nazis, spoiling everything.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:06 
User avatar
Unpossible!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 34033
Kern wrote:
It's made me stop wearing my cream M&S chinos, for sure. Dam Nazis, spoiling everything.

Well, that's a win at least


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:08 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 51322
Location: Nottingham
Kern wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Violence is the catalyst for any social change. Sitting around talking about it does nothing. Again.


It's a case of choosing one's battles. On this, I think the minority white-chino-and-red-hat-clad pathetic right wing scum should be shown up for what they are. I'm not sure they can change, but we can work to ensure that others don't fall for their bullshit or shrug their shoulders and equivocate.

Dude, there are neo-nazis in the White House. Steve Bannon is Trump's main advisor and has featured in Stormfront for crying out loud. Nazis in America are becoming more emboldened by the day.

Like I said, laughing at them or ignoring them will do nothing. That's literally what happened in Germany in the 30s. And you can invoke Godwin's Law if you like, but he's ok with it. https://twitter.com/sfmnemonic/status/8 ... 9634232320



_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:09 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 51322
Location: Nottingham
DavPaz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
I'm not a fighter. But I admire those that stand up against injustice and hate.

Anyway, sorry if I've offended any liberal sensibilities here. I didn't expect much agreement.

C'mon, you're just trolling now, surely

I've never been more serious.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 11911 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215 ... 239  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Columbo, Pod People and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.