Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 11791 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 348, 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 354 ... 394  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 14:03 
User avatar
INFINITE POWAH

Joined: 1st Apr, 2008
Posts: 29931
DavPaz wrote:
Also, are you going to *force* the homeless off the streets into your internment facilities, Mali?

Well it wouldn't work otherwise, would it?

_________________
http://www.thehomeofawesome.com/
Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 14:07 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 43544
Location: West Yorkshire
DavPaz wrote:
Also, are you going to *force* the homeless off the streets into your internment facilities, Mali?


Health Camps. Sometimes, a government has to use a weighty hand for the good of the population.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 14:31 
User avatar
INFINITE POWAH

Joined: 1st Apr, 2008
Posts: 29931
MaliA wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Also, are you going to *force* the homeless off the streets into your internment facilities, Mali?


Health Camps. Sometimes, a government has to use a weighty hand for the good of the population.

Also vagrancy is illegal so they'd be getting off lightly.

_________________
http://www.thehomeofawesome.com/
Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:51 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 43544
Location: West Yorkshire
Sale of new Petrol and diesel cars to be banned in UK from 2040 because of air quality issues

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:44 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Nov, 2008
Posts: 9521
Location: The Golden Country
I'll be too old by then to care. :)

_________________
Beware of gavia articulata oculos...

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:08 
User avatar
Thanks

Joined: 11th May, 2008
Posts: 10781
I wonder if they're going to put a cut-off date on existing internal combustion engine cars being taken off the road, or if they'll allow natural wastage to take care of it?

They could become quite coveted and valuable in a world of boring electric cars, especially Audi S4s in Ibis White, I reckon.

_________________
The Premium YouTube Fruit Machine Emulation Experience - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth
Only £2 per month! *
* Not really.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:09 
User avatar
Paws for thought

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 15919
Location: Just Outside That London, England, Europe
Hearthly wrote:
I wonder if they're going to put a cut-off date on existing internal combustion engine cars being taken off the road, or if they'll allow natural wastage to take care of it?

They could become quite coveted and valuable in a world of boring electric cars, especially Audi S4s in Ibis White, I reckon.

Although I imagine finding a fuel station will become an exercise in frustration.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:13 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13117
Location: Oxford
Hearthly wrote:
They could become quite coveted and valuable in a world of boring electric cars, especially Audi S4s in Ibis White, I reckon.


Future Hipsters prefer Minis.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:18 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 1924
Cavey wrote:
I'll be too old by then to care. :)


"I'll give you my petrol hose when you pry it from my cold, dead hands."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:24 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14549
I reckon that by 2040 this will seem like some idiotically pointless legislation, in much the same way that it isn't really necessary to ban the sale of new steam traction engines for fear of everyone deciding that it would be better to take their kids to school in some pathetically slow ten tonne curiosity that was invented in the 19th century and powered by coal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:36 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 43544
Location: West Yorkshire
markg wrote:
I reckon that by 2040 this will seem like some idiotically pointless legislation, in much the same way that it isn't really necessary to ban the sale of new steam traction engines for fear of everyone deciding that it would be better to take their kids to school in some pathetically slow ten tonne curiosity that was invented in the 19th century and powered by coal.


(Steps quietly away from Markg)

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:43 
User avatar
SavyGamer

Joined: 29th Apr, 2008
Posts: 7255
I doubt it will actually happen.

Why even ban them? Just put obscenely high tax on them that only millionaires can afford, assuming that electric cars are an adequate replacement for most people by then.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:46 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 33491
It's a pointless promise anyway. How can a 2017 government commit to something 23 years into the future? If Labour win the next election (stop it, it could happen) what's to stop them saying that the ban won't happen? Or that it will happen in 2028?

Bullshit nonsense.

I agree with MarkG


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:51 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13117
Location: Oxford
Imagine I'm a factory owner, churning out cars off the production line and selling them for a reasonable profit. Annual upgrades and new versions don't cost me that much to change processes and tools etc. Until demand of electric outstrips that of petrol, I've no real incentive to invest in changing over to electric. Setting a date 23 years' hence provides a little bit of an incentive to get moving on this.

As for long distance planning: people were warned in 1995 about changes to pension ages coming in now, but everyone forgot about it and are now really angry about the lack of warning.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:57 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Nov, 2008
Posts: 9521
Location: The Golden Country
Findus Fop wrote:
Cavey wrote:
I'll be too old by then to care. :)


"I'll give you my petrol hose when you pry it from my cold, dead hands."


:DD
Pretty much :this:

Albeit, I note motorbikes are exempt, so I could be Piney off Sons of Anarchy.

_________________
Beware of gavia articulata oculos...

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:58 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Joined: 17th Dec, 2008
Posts: 8060
2040 is a meaningless date as Norway have gone for 2025 and France from 2030. So if those dates are met, then this means that the fossil fuel car market was effectively gone ten years earlier than the uk date.

This is an absolute longstop at best without scaring the horses in the industry.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:00 
User avatar
Comfortably Dumb

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 10196
Location: Sunny Stoke
MaliA wrote:
Sale of new Petrol and diesel cars to be banned in UK from 2040 because of air quality issues


We're just gradually winding everything down for when we become extinct

_________________
Consolemad | Under Logic
Curse, the day is long
Realise you don't belong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:02 
User avatar

Joined: 12th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13117
Location: Oxford
devilman wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Sale of new Petrol and diesel cars to be banned in UK from 2040 because of air quality issues


We're just gradually winding everything down for when we become extinct


Obligatory XKCD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:03 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Nov, 2008
Posts: 9521
Location: The Golden Country
:attitude:

_________________
Beware of gavia articulata oculos...

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:06 
User avatar
gooby pls

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 11791
Location: Shrewsbury, UK
DavPaz wrote:
It's a pointless promise anyway. How can a 2017 government commit to something 23 years into the future?

Well, a few years ago Shropshire Council granted Veolia with a 27 year contract to run the area's recycling and refuse collections.

_________________
Mostly pointless witterings of a fool. gazchap.com
Source Design - Graphic Design and Web Design Shropshire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:42 
User avatar
I'm a computery guy!

Joined: 27th Jun, 2008
Posts: 33491
GazChap wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
It's a pointless promise anyway. How can a 2017 government commit to something 23 years into the future?

Well, a few years ago Shropshire Council granted Veolia with a 27 year contract to run the area's recycling and refuse collections.


"No, we won't collect that"

English is weird


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:49 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 50505
Location: Nottingham
Giving someone a cast-iron contract and making a commitment to stop doing something a long way in the future are two completely different things though.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:49 
User avatar
gooby pls

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 11791
Location: Shrewsbury, UK
Lonewolves wrote:
Giving someone a cast-iron contract and making a commitment to stop doing something a long way in the future are two completely different things though.

Yeah, but the point was more "how can they possibly do such a thing when recycling might be completely different in 20 years time and all done via teleporters" ;)

_________________
Mostly pointless witterings of a fool. gazchap.com
Source Design - Graphic Design and Web Design Shropshire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 13:00 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 63958
Location: Your Mum
When we invent teleporters, what's going to happen to the roads?

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 13:03 
User avatar
Comfortably Dumb

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 10196
Location: Sunny Stoke
Grim... wrote:
When we invent teleporters, what's going to happen to the roads?


They can be used by people on their hoverboards so they know they're going the right way.

_________________
Consolemad | Under Logic
Curse, the day is long
Realise you don't belong


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 13:05 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 63958
Location: Your Mum
People wouldn't have hoverboards for the road, they'd teleport to the skate park.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 13:24 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14549
Hoverpark.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 13:30 
User avatar

Joined: 23rd Nov, 2008
Posts: 9521
Location: The Golden Country
Grim... wrote:
When we invent teleporters, what's going to happen to the roads?


They'll still be used by a some old twattos who refuse to accept the new tech and insist on clinging onto the past & their absurd, dangerous, noisy, polluting, exploding hydrocarbon-based transportation systems.



Taxi! :D

_________________
Beware of gavia articulata oculos...

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 14:03 
User avatar
SavyGamer

Joined: 29th Apr, 2008
Posts: 7255
Clarkson will theoretically be 80. He might still be around.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 14:05 
User avatar
Comfortably Dumb

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 10196
Location: Sunny Stoke
Grim... wrote:
People wouldn't have hoverboards for the road, they'd teleport to the skate park.


I'm imagining that earlier teleporters will be like stations or airports in that you'd have to go somewhere to teleport. You're already up to personal teleporters I see. :)

_________________
Consolemad | Under Logic
Curse, the day is long
Realise you don't belong


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 11791 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 348, 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 354 ... 394  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Pod People, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.