Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The PC Gaming Topic
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 18:27 
Bad Girl

I was struggling so bad to kill the last boss that I was seriously worried that I was rubbish at games all of a sudden. Then I started struggling on the first of the three bosses that I was sure that I was rubbish at games. Then I defeated the first boss and couldn't kill the second boss. God, it was a rollercoaster of being useless. Right up until I got to the final boss and first timed him with nary a sweat. Weird.

Anyway, Cave Story+, it's challenging without being unfair right up until that last boss rush which I do think was sorta unfair. Still nixed him though.

The ending was cute even though, technically, virtually everyone dies. A nice throwback to Master System games which kept me on my toes; yeah, I liked it and it's not the sort of thing I'd spend any considerable time with. Shame it didn't have a weird story angle though unless that's the secret ending thing.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 18:36 
Bad Girl

And then I played Gone Home. Well, I think it's more of a burglar-sim where you ransack someones house and open all their drawers and closets. It was quite a nice little tale told through the environment, bits of paper and tape recordings. I was thinking that film's have done the same story a hundred times over (albeit with boy/girl) but only a videogame could tell this story in this way. I wasn't particularly affected until just before the ending where I expected something that never arrived, which took the edge off the actual ending which actually was quite cute. It was good if somewhat disposable.

I didn't really understand the ouija boards and pentagrams and stuff which appears to have only mislead me as to the main story. Maybe I've missed something though. There's certainly some other stories being told alongside the main narrative so perhaps it's time to check out a wiki for it rather than play it again. Which I won't be doing.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 13:51 
Bad Girl

Very much been enjoying To The Moon.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 14:48 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

To help stop you looking like a crazy person posting solo in the thread, I shall say that I've been playing Factorio!

http://imgur.com/a/vUo0u#0

Lots of fun, if you consider building an automated factory assembly line fun...

I've also been playing Kerbal Space Program with the BTSM mod, which creates a proper sort of difficulty curve/career thing for the game, rather than unlocking the entire tree after 4 flights like you do in stock. You start with completely unguideable solid rockets and work your way up to manned capsules. Much more rewarding.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 17:59 
Bad Girl

Oh dear, I had a little tear at the end of To The Moon. I'm such a poof. It's another one of those "not really a game"-games, where you don't really do anything. Still enjoyed it though.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 13:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Pod wrote:
rather than unlocking the entire tree after 4 flights like you do in stock

Whaaa? I've been doing loads of missions and I'm well away from unlocking everything. What did you do?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 14:58 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Grim... wrote:
Pod wrote:
rather than unlocking the entire tree after 4 flights like you do in stock

Whaaa? I've been doing loads of missions and I'm well away from unlocking everything. What did you do?

Well, I was being a bit facetious about 4 flights. Sure, it's not like doing it in two flights. But you can unlock most, if not all (I think?) of the tech tree without ever leaving the Kerbal system if you so desire by simply visiting every single Biome in the 3 places. In stock Kerbal a good starting point is to make a ship consisting of a single capsule, "launch" it, get the kerbal out to take a surface sample of the launch pad, take an eva report, get back into the pod, take an eva report et viola: 4 nodes unlocked :P Which means you can be in orbit by the next launch or so, and then Minmus the launch after that. Where's the rocket science in that?!

Here's a post from another place:

Quote:
All this Kerbal talk made me want to go and enjoy it again. I thought I'd 'try out' the normal mods I use to make sure they work for KSP 0.23.5 -- I don't want to recommend them if they don't work. That 'mod trial' turned into starting a new campaign.

Flight 1: just scraping orbit + lots of crew reports
Flight 2: orbit again packed with goo + bays
Flight 3: goo + bays + temperature.

For flight 3 time I took it into high orbit, out to Minmus, did a low orbit trying to get crew + EVA reports over lots of different biomes, landed on the nozzle twice for some samples and data. Then I jettisoned my upper stage business and started the return to Kerbin, planning to do a a fly by of the Mun the way.

Unfortunately the best laid plans.... I hadn't unlocked solar panels yet and I completely forgot that the small engine doesn't generate electricity, so the huge number of batteries I brought quickly drained as I rotated etc on the return trip from Minmus :( Thankfully they ran out after Minmus escape on the swoop out to the Mun. To slow down at the Mun to avoid being slingshotted out of the system I basically turned on my engine a tiny bit + held rotate, cut engines and then let it rotate until I was facing the direction I wanted to and them FULL THROTTLE. Slowing down at the Mun to avoid a Kerbal escape, whilst also not being captured by the Mun is really difficult! (Infact the major problem was escaping the Mun only to be immediately recaptured by it >:(). I eventually managed to break free of the Mun's shackles with a 40km PE on Kerbin, but that turned to not be enough to properly aerobrake. (Well, I could probably have done 20 passes or something...). Instead I had to have Jeb get out and push to a couple of million miles up from Kerbin. Next time around we landed in the nice sunny see packing about 1000 science. Woot. It's now 2:40am however...

100 science from my third flight!

* I sent a probe to sun dive. (After a failed attempt that didn't have enough thrust in it's atmosphere stages).
* I tried a simple ROCKET PLANE for fun, even though I had no wheels. Didn't work out.
* I sent a multi-pack probe to the Mun and landed on almost all of the biomes. (Unfortunately I messed up the design and the 2 Kerbals in the lab had no way to return home)

I don't appear to have any more images so I can't remember what I did. I think I launched a multipack of probes to go to Jool and scan + land on all the moons that I could reach? I think that's what happened. I think I then attempted a Asteroid grab, which was the reason I started playing again, but gave up after I tried to grab a class E with only 2 nuclear engines :D

I can't remember if that completely unlocked the tree or got me almost most of the way, but it was near enough.

It was fun and all, but there was 0 challenge :/ In stock, once you've got something capable of going to a Mun you've got something capable of going _anywhere_ in Kerbal Space program. Notice how I went from "getting into orbit" to "landing on Minmus and getting huge amounts of science" to "low pass around the sun"! To get from orbit to the sun you simply need a couple more tanks of fuel. And the thing I sent to Jool was the same thing I sent to the Mun, only with more engines under it.

With BTSM you have to think hard about your design. You have to roughly plan out for battery and life support, but doing so means lots of batteries and your design becomes heavy so you have to change it etc etc etc. Plus, some of the experiments are timed, so you can't simply do a Mun flyby on your way back home from Minmus and "scoop up" a bunch of free and easy science. You have to legitimately get there. Most of the experiments can be beamed home for 100%. So you send a gravity probe to the Mun and you get 100%. Some, e.g. the Goo and Science Junior, you get 0% for transmitting. You have to return to get 100%. (There's also no need to repeat the same experiment as in stock Kerbal).

Also, more importantly, you get 0 science from Kerbin's surface. Infact you need to be above 15km just to get any science! (However landing on another planet is a huge reward). BTSM feels like a game with an actuall difficulty curve, rather than simply "do 2 flights and then you can go anywhere".

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 16:02 
Excellent Member

Saturnalian wrote:
Oh dear, I had a little tear at the end of To The Moon. I'm such a poof. It's another one of those "not really a game"-games, where you don't really do anything. Still enjoyed it though.

Speaking of non games, i tried Dear Esther for a little bit and i don't know if i should keep playing it. It looks absolutely gorgeous but the writing doesn't seem to be interesting enough.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 16:21 
Excellent Member

RuySan wrote:
Saturnalian wrote:

Speaking of non games, i tried Dear Esther for a little bit and i don't know if i should keep playing it. It looks absolutely gorgeous but the writing doesn't seem to be interesting enough.

If you just want to go through it to admire the scenery (which is well worth admiring, especially in the later underground section which is gorgeous) you could easily reach the end in less than an hour so why not?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 16:40 
Bad Girl

I agree. It's only an hour if you stay on the main path and it gets more interesting towards the end as the story takes off. Ho ho.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 17:28 
Excellent Member

Ok, i'll probably try it again then.

Another game i tried recently was The Cat Lady. This falls in the same category as Papers Please: Interesting concept but not very fun to play. In fact i hated the interface. I wish it was a classic point and click adventure.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 18:36 
Excellent Member

RuySan wrote:
Another game i tried recently was The Cat Lady. This falls in the same category as Papers Please: Interesting concept but not very fun to play. In fact i hated the interface. I wish it was a classic point and click adventure.

That one's on my list as well but I honestly can't remember anything about it.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:23 
Excellent Member

Guacamelee was just great. Probably the best non-castlevania Metroidvania i've ever played. Still, i got annoyed a bit for getting the bad ending after so much effort in defeating the bosses. I hate when games hid the "true" ending beyond boring secret quests we have no idea that they even exist.

This game reminded me a lot of the last Giana Sisters game, mostly because of the intrincate platforming and the swapping between two worlds while doing it. Fortunately the boss fights are much better in Guacamelee.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:09 
Bad Girl

RuySan wrote:
Guacamelee was just great. Probably the best non-castlevania Metroidvania i've ever played.

You're damn right!

Quote:
This game reminded me a lot of the last Giana Sisters game.

You're damn wrong! :kiss:

Yeah, I bloody loved Guacamelee though. Awesome game.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:24 
Excellent Member

Not a big fan of Giana sisters,I reckon?

Loved that one, expect for the silly last boss fight which I never beat. One thing I really liked the game is that it really channeled the spirit of platformers of the Amiga era.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 13:55 
Bad Girl

I assume we're talking about the new one and not the Mario rip off. I like the Mario rip off but the demo for the new one was enough to put me off. I think I posted about the demo ages ago somewhere in here...

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 13:56 
Bad Girl

... looking for things I've said on BeeX is like rooting around in the bin.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 13:59 
Paws for thought

Saturnalian wrote:
I assume we're talking about the new one and not the Mario rip off. I like the Mario rip off but the demo for the new one was enough to put me off. I think I posted about the demo ages ago somewhere in here...

You did.

I pretty much agreed.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 15:26 
Excellent Member

Where is My Heart? sounds interesting. Another puzzle-platformer but this one takes standard platofmr levels and cuts them into bits, then randomly arranges the bits and challenges you to guide a trio of characters to the end. It makes more sense if you read the review.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 20:41 
SavyGamer

Where is my heart is great, I played the playstation version.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:48 
Excellent Member

I'd never heard of Spate before but it looks very pretty and interesting. There's a round-up of reviews here and it's currently part of the Be Mine 13 bundle along with Antisquad, Legend of Dungeon, Alpha Kimori, Miasmata, Nekro and The Longest Journey.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 13:33 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:
I'd never heard of Spate before but it looks very pretty and interesting. There's a round-up of reviews here and it's currently part of the Be Mine 13 bundle along with Antisquad, Legend of Dungeon, Alpha Kimori, Miasmata, Nekro and The Longest Journey.

The developer reply to the reviews posting was quite sad. Apparently there was a 3/10 review which made the game metascore drop from 80's to low 60's, killing the sales immediately.

I don't know if the score is deserved or not, but it's sad to see how important metacritic is.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 23:19 
Excellent Member

After playing a demo of it yonks ago and not thinking much of it, then getting it as part of a bundle so grudgingly installing it only to leave it languishing in my Steam pile for ages, I finally started playing Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftover today and it's very good indeed.

I don't agree with the Eurogamer review when it talks about having to restart and losing loads of progress because the checkpointing is very generous so you lose at most a few minutes, but it's correct about how much fun it is just carving stuff up and rocketing it around the place. The music's excellent and the cel-shaded graphical style is equally nice. Your ability to carve pretty much everything up does bring a necessary randomness to the proceedings which makes your progress a bit clunky at times but if you do the wrong thing and get stuck you just hurl yourself off the nearest precipice and go back a few minutes to try again. There seems to be a shitload of secrets to find which is fun and it's got bags of charm.

There's a demo on the Steam page so you should try it out at least.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:50 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Bamba wrote:

Its also part of the lowest tier in the latest humble weekly bundle so you can pick it up (and 6 other titles in that tier) for around 70p

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:19 
Excellent Member

zaphod79 wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Its also part of the lowest tier in the latest humble weekly bundle so you can pick it up (and 6 other titles in that tier) for around 70p

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Heh, so it is. The other thing in that bundle I've got to play is Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians but I can't remember anything about it. There's a review of it here:

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/beatbud ... 0-6412928/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:01 
Paws for thought

So started Witcher 2, eventually.

I have now stopped Witcher 2. It's pap.
(TOtal play time: 27 minutes: Which is going through the tutorial. Twice, due to the tutorial being basically broken)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:18 

I can't remember the last time Dave liked a game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:24 
Paws for thought

Just from recent weeks, Thief, Muramasa, Gunpoint, Child Of Light, Stick it to the man, Dark Souls 2...

I haven't posted about Warframe, but I'm quite liking that, although somewhat hesitantly waiting for the business model to get in the way.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 13:42 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I can't remember the last time Dave liked anything.

Feex.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 17:39 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
So started Witcher 2, eventually.

I have now stopped Witcher 2. It's pap.
(TOtal play time: 27 minutes: Which is going through the tutorial. Twice, due to the tutorial being basically broken)

Yes. The tutorial is unnecessarily hard, but my advice is to keep playing. It's an amazing game and probably my favourite modern rpg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 17:48 
Paws for thought

T'was the riposte tutorial which eventually did it.

"Parry, and wait for the symbol to change and click for riposte"

Except, of course, the icon never appeared. Because it requires having not parried more than once or something. But it doesn't tell you that.

Trying the second time, I got past that but thought screw it after neither the traps nor daggers didn't work as described and being introduced to the 28th different key to learn*.

* - An exaggeration, but not by much.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 23:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Dave wrote:
T'was the riposte tutorial which eventually did it.

"Parry, and wait for the symbol to change and click for riposte"

Except, of course, the icon never appeared. Because it requires having not parried more than once or something. But it doesn't tell you that..

Very much like Dark Souls of course, where the tutorial shows you how to do a jumping slash. Unless, of course, you choose the dex class, which gives you a rapier, which you can't do a jumping slash with. But it doesn't tell you that..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 0:05 
Paws for thought

Although that doesn't stop you continuing with the game. /Unlike this which just won't go to the next step until you've done it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 0:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It does when you spend ages trying to work out why you can't make it work :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:04 
Excellent Member

Are you playing with the Enhanced version, or Director's Cut, or whatever it was called? Because i remember that the tutorial was much better and easier after that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 14:53 
Paws for thought

RuySan wrote:
Are you playing with the Enhanced version, or Director's Cut, or whatever it was called? Because i remember that the tutorial was much better and easier after that.

Yeah.

Sends you off to some arena to learn things after healing a knight before dropping you into the story.

Which I'm also not convinced with - QTEs are a very good way to makes me look very dubiously toward your game because it's just shit and lazy design. And I'm still thinking the controls in non QTE combat are a bit rubbish.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 22:32 
Excellent Member

The combat in the first game was indeed awful, but i still liked the game because of its wonderful and exotic setting and plot.

On the second one i loved the combat, and i don't even remember the QTE's. The combat is very deadly, both for you and your opponents, and that's something i really enjoy. I hate hit point sponges like in Skyrim. Obviously after Witcher 2 came Dark Souls which raised the bar for combat in action RPG's, so maybe i would look differently now.

But seriously, try at least to get into the game properly. The forest that surrounds the first city is probably the most gorgeous place, in technical terms, i've seen on a computer. The plot and dialogue is excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 18:23 
Excellent Member

Retro city rampage is a bit shit, isn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:25 
Bad Girl

Yes.

Probably.

I only played the demo ages ago and it was shit. Surprisingly shitter than I ever thought it could be.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:26 
Bad Girl

Anyhoo, I've been playing a bit of TOWER OF GUNS.

Cor, it’s propah old skool, init?

I was almost continually circle strafing for a good hour yesterday. I ain’t done that in ages. Plus, I haven’t been shot at by a big fucking cannon that fires 9 missiles at a time neither. Ever. I like it. A lot. It’s facking nuts, you can’t sit still, and you can triple jump right from the start if you want. Yes, TRIPLE. If you ain’t dodging thirty rockets at a time, you ain’t playing this.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:04 
Paws for thought

Saturnalian wrote:
Anyhoo, I've been playing a bit of TOWER OF GUNS.

Cor, it’s propah old skool, init?

I was almost continually circle strafing for a good hour yesterday. I ain’t done that in ages. Plus, I haven’t been shot at by a big fucking cannon that fires 9 missiles at a time neither. Ever. I like it. A lot. It’s facking nuts, you can’t sit still, and you can triple jump right from the start if you want. Yes, TRIPLE. If you ain’t dodging thirty rockets at a time, you ain’t playing this.

Hurrah.
I really missed the having to dance around bullets that used to be common but no longer is, replaced.with having to hide behind walls, so this game was like a breath of fresh air. No enemies with hitscan weapons? Glorious.

Also quintuple jumping.

Also also : bastard hard. Still not managed to beat the second boss.

Wishlist includes slightly less floaty jumps and a greater liklihood of a weapon drop during the game*, having a few more options from differwnt weapon types during one run would be good.

* I've read they happen, but never seen it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:24 
Bad Girl

I got murderized by the third boss, yesterday. His armoury included:

[*]Hundreds of bullets
[*]Circling laser beams
[*]Exploding mines
[*]Buzzsaw bots
[*]Ginormo rockets

Oh, AT THE SAME FUCKING TIME. It's brilliant.

EDIT: I like the floaty jumps, by the way. There's nowt like skipping over an arena bouncing firey death from above.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:35 
Paws for thought

I said slightly. Also slighlty higher to compensate.

Also the "story" can be highly amusing depending on ehich one you get.

Sadly I remember none of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:49 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

I've always discounted Tower of guns purely because it had a crap name. I'd never bothered to open its page on Steam and look at the video. I thought it was just more dross like Pixels Will Bleed or whatever games that have equally crap names. Looks interesting. Pity I only find out about this AFTER THE MEGA SALE.

From the mega sale I've been playing Infested Planet. It has that stressful, adrenaline inducing being-attacked-from-all-sides thing that is present in all the best RTS and you're attacked by a huge number of aliens. Definitely over a thousand at a time? HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:36 
Excellent Member

I had Lifeless Planet on my wishlist while it was going through it's early access phase, and I think I mentioned here it at some point, as it looked very interesting so I'm glad that EG review bears it out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:14 
SavyGamer

Tower of Guns is indeed amazing and it is cheap again here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 19:16 
Bad Girl

SHURRUPAYAFACE.

*Incoming awesome*

THE BEST DOOM GAME THAT ISN'T DOOM IS ON STEAM. In fact, it's better than Doom. In fact; as in "factualness".

But for some reason they've renamed it a bit. Actually it's renamed cause it's got all the DLC and shit probably. That gameBLOOD. Or to give it the name that they're selling it as ONE WHOLE UNIT BLOOD. Which is a crap name. Obv.

It has got:

Better level design than Doom.
A better shotgun than Doom.
Ian's Official Stamp of Awesome (non-refundable).

Now, if anyone buys this then I give you my solemn promise to play multiplayer with you because it has also got:

Kick-ass multiplayer maps including:
Football pitch.
Opposing castle map.

And how much for the slice of classic? Less than £4. I know, right? A-Maze. Mind you, it's donkeys years old. It's funnier than Duke Nukem too.

Say it with me "We want Jojo, Jojo, JOJO".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 19:30 
Excellent Member

I have the game on gog but I didn't have as much fun as I remember it. It's too hard and there isn't enough ammo and enemies.

I will probably replay serious Sam or painkiller when I'm in the mood for something in this genre.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 19:46 
Bad Girl

TOO HARD!? You don't know you're born, lad. Back in my day if our hands were contorted with painful blisters we hadn't played enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 20:27 
UltraMod

Saturnalian wrote:
TOO HARD!? You don't know you're born, lad. Back in my day if our hands were contorted with painful blisters we hadn't played enough.

Why, did your controllers secrete a soothing balm?

Reply to topic  [ 708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next