Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 14397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168 ... 288  Next
 Post subject: Re: Political Banter and Debate Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:12 

Curiosity wrote:
The colossally stupid thing is that India, China and other large economies have made no secret that any trade deal they strike with us must include increased rights for them to live and work here.

Indeed Curio. Hence my comment to Russ: no change in immigration (in fact, it may well increase, which I think is a *good* thing and highly beneficial economically)

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:13 
Gogmagog

Bobbyaro wrote:
No Cavey, this isn't the point. The fact is that it isn't a comparison between "doom" and "not quite doom" it is a comparison between what we could have had and what we are left with.

I don't think anyone is really predicting complete economical disaster, however, they are predicting being in a worse situation than we would have been in without Brexit and negotiating from a broadcasted position of weakness.

Edit: this was in response to a post above!

Yes.

It will be worse than it is now.

Which is why it'd be stupid to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:17 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Cavey wrote:
You can't seriously believe the Euro will persist?

I think there's a pretty decent chance it won't, but I think if it blows up ( as opposed to slowly breaking apart ) then the UK will get hit by a huge chunk of fall out. No way the eurozone going haywire isn't going to have massive knock on effects.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:19 

Squirt wrote:
Cavey wrote:
You can't seriously believe the Euro will persist?

I think there's a pretty decent chance it won't, but I think if it blows up ( as opposed to slowly breaking apart ) then the UK will get hit by a huge chunk of fall out. No way the eurozone going haywire isn't going to have massive knock on effects.

Agreed, mate, but like I said, those effects - as bad as they will be - would surely be worse still, were we still within the EU (given the cost of all the pre-collapse propping up of the currency and central bank that would have doubtless ensued).

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Russell wrote:
See, I think as a man on the street, unless I lose my job, none of that stuff affects me. It's the stuff that stuff affects that might affect me, and nobody can seem to say what that is (hence my guesses of higher food prices for example).

You might find any benefits you receive going out of the window (I doubt nursery tax credits (or whatever they are) will hang around, for example).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:40 

Yep, agreed.

Brexit + no Opposition = Eurosceptic politics running utterly unbridled, ToryMax

(Whereas, of course, the smart thing to do, both politically and in actual, pragmatic outcomes terms, would be to engage centrist politics/policies for a true post-EU social consensus and contract; get The People onside. Fat chance though. :( )

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

What I find most infuriating is the claims of a mandate for the way the May is going about this, and that it is the smart way forward. Rather than leaving the common market being a direct contravention of a manifesto promise that got this government elected.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:47 

Mandates only really matter when there's an opposition.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:50 

Well to be fair they *do* have a mandate, the Referendum outcome - and remaining within the free market is not within hers, or our gift? The EU, for entirely understandable political reasons, has told us to GTFF unless we accept *everything*, which in turn is politically impossible for May, as they must surely know. This can only end one way; it could only have *ever* ended one way, as soon as the Leave vote was secured by even as much as one solitary vote, let alone by 2 or 3 points.
Look, I'm not trying to turd-polish here, nor deny that this is anything other than a net bad outcome (though clearly it's nowhere near as bad as predicted thus far, and very likely this will persist). But you know, spilt milk and all that Cras. Hard Brexit it is, then.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:57 

I get depressed thinking that all those who voted leave because they felt disadvantaged and ignored by politics are only going to feel even more disadvantaged and ignored if the extreme Brexit goes badly for the country. But then, much like those colonials who voted Republican and are now upset that they might lose their healthcare, a tiny part of me just thinks "screw 'em". Which isn't very nice at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:59 

Kern wrote:
I get depressed thinking that all those who voted leave because they felt disadvantaged and ignored by politics are only going to feel even more disadvantaged and ignored if the extreme Brexit goes badly for the country. But then, much like those colonials who voted Republican and are now upset that they might lose their healthcare, a tiny part of me just thinks "screw 'em". Which isn't very nice at all.

I agree entirely - including with your sentiments. We're only human.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grim... wrote:
Kern wrote:
It's one of those issues that make me glad I'm not a minister: yes, the A303 needs sorting, and yes, ancient earthworks and treasures should be protected, and no, I'm not sure where the balance should be struck.

They found a henge when they were digging the site for a Tesco near my house, possibly some 1,000 years older and somewhat bigger than Stonehenge. It was apparently recoverable but the Borough Council wouldn't give Tesco the money back for the land so Tesco just tore it up and put a shop on it.

They did put a nice stone slab thing down telling you about it, though.

I took a photo when I went at the weekend:

Attachment:
2017-01-15 12.44.07.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:15 
INFINITE POWAH

So they didn't tear it up, they just left it underground, then?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:15 

Nice.

In 4,000 years time I hope there's a similar plaque marking the site of the Tesco.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:18 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MrChris wrote:
So they didn't tear it up, they just left it underground, then?

Well, I doubt they were gentle :)

The foundations must have gone that deep to find it in the first place, I guess.

How the fuck do you unearth a ditch?!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:20 
Sleepyhead

And there it is.

Not one person campaigning for Leave raised a complete exit from the single market. Gove, Hannan, Farage, the entire official Leave set, Johnson, everyone said leaving that would be lunacy.

And now we're committed to it.

Great work!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:21 
Beloved member

Anyone who thinks that lack of single market access won't be disastrous is deluded, ignorant or in serious denial.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Quote:
Theresa May says she wants a "bold and ambitious" trade arrangement with the EU but insists this cannot mean continued membership of the single market.

This would involve the UK accepting continued jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice - which would effectively "mean not leaving the EU at all".

If that's the case, then I see where she's coming from, it makes sense*.

Quote:
But she says the days of the UK "paying vast sums of money to the EU every day" will soon be over.

:facepalm:

* It only makes sense if we have to leave the EU, of course. It doesn't make sense in any other world

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:24 
Sleepyhead

I hope this is a negotiating tactic. It seems like it might be. I hope it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Quote:
EU leaders have said the UK cannot "cherry pick" access to the single market while restricting the free movement of people, with Mrs May suggesting curbing migration will be her top priority.

Fuck this fucking country :'(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:28 

Curiosity wrote:
And there it is.

Not one person campaigning for Leave raised a complete exit from the single market. Gove, Hannan, Farage, the entire official Leave set, Johnson, everyone said leaving that would be lunacy.

And now we're committed to it.

Great work!

Oh, I agree. The case made by the Leave campaign that we somehow would not have to leave the single market and "of course" the Germans et al would not want us to leave it was, as I said at the time, complete bullshit. On the other hand, though, people bought it, because these days, in this Twitter-fuelled, post-truth era, no-one ever bothers to check, or indeed think anything through. That's just how it is.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
Quote:
Theresa May says she wants a "bold and ambitious" trade arrangement with the EU

What exactly is a 'bold and ambitious' trade agreement? I mean, trade agreements are pretty much all the same. You agree tariffs and you agree non-tariff stipulations, for each thing you want to trade. Maybe she plans to abolish currency-based trade and insist that deals with the EU can only be accomplished by means of the barter system?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Cavey wrote:
in this Twitter-fuelled, post-truth era, no-one ever bothers to check, or indeed think anything through. That's just how it is.

Twitter is a self-reinforcing echo-chamber of beliefs, but it doesn't have the reach you credit it with (especially among the strongly leave demographics). Brexit was a Murdoch/Dacre fuelled post-truth event.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:31 

Grim... wrote:
Quote:
EU leaders have said the UK cannot "cherry pick" access to the single market while restricting the free movement of people, with Mrs May suggesting curbing migration will be her top priority.

Fuck this fucking country :'(

If it makes you feel any better, Labour pretty much thinks the same thing these days.
Nationalism: it's the new zeitgeist. Lovely. :roll:

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:33 

Cras wrote:
Cavey wrote:
in this Twitter-fuelled, post-truth era, no-one ever bothers to check, or indeed think anything through. That's just how it is.

Twitter is a self-reinforcing echo-chamber of beliefs, but it doesn't have the reach you credit it with (especially among the strongly leave demographics). Brexit was a Murdoch/Dacre fuelled post-truth event.

I entirely disagree with you about Twitter I'm afraid, though I don't deny the massive influence of the right wing gutter press also.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:37 
Sleepyhead

The hope still remains that May is massively overplaying her negotiating stance in the hope that she moves the 'Overton Window' of negotiations and can get a more middle ground solution.

I do kinda see that her hands are tied regarding the four indivisible freedoms, but there are still many ways to be a part of the market. Ultimately, if we're not paying a penny towards the market or the regulation of it, why on earth would we suspect that we can have the benefits?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:39 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Cavey wrote:
Cras wrote:
Cavey wrote:

I entirely disagree with you about Twitter I'm afraid, though I don't deny the massive influence of the right wing gutter press also.

You can evidence it pretty well if you look at research into advertising reach. Because the nature of Twitter is inherently inward-facing because of the follow/retweet mechanic, it's somewhat insular. I don't deny that it's full to the brim of rhetoric and dogma, but because that reach doesn't extend very far, it's all very self-reinforcing instead of outwardly influencing. The papers, online journals like HuffPo, Breitbart, or Mail Online, and Facebook are much more 'influencers' than Twitter is. That goes double when you consider, for example, the elderly - who as a demographic voted heavily in favour of leave and are very much not significant users of Twitter compared to Facebook or the print media.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:39 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Curiosity wrote:
The hope still remains that May is massively overplaying her negotiating stance in the hope that she moves the 'Overton Window' of negotiations and can get a more middle ground solution.

I do kinda see that her hands are tied regarding the four indivisible freedoms, but there are still many ways to be a part of the market. Ultimately, if we're not paying a penny towards the market or the regulation of it, why on earth would we suspect that we can have the benefits?

By coming out so strongly for hard brexit though, surely she's just opening herself up to uturn accusations if the final result is anything short of that?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:41 
Sleepyhead

Cras wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

By coming out so strongly for hard brexit though, surely she's just opening herself up to uturn accusations if the final result is anything short of that?

True, but she tried and ultimately had to accept the best deal she could. We end up with a 'random Scandinavian country' deal and at this point the majority of the country is happy with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:44 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Is it Sweden?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:46 

Curiosity wrote:

It's a vain hope, Curio - trust me on this.
There's no way the EU can do any other than to apply tariffs, the only question is how many and how much. Domestic European politics demands it, regardless of what is "good business" or otherwise. They must cut their noses and spite their faces, because the alternative political backlash at home is beyond even contemplating. GB must be "punished", sadly.

The only mitigation I can see is precisely the UK stealing a march with other trade deals with other blocs, leading to a "horse has bolted" scenario whereby such punitive measures are more cosmetic and for show... but difficult to see how it'll play out. The UK does have a few aces up its sleeve too, most notably the aggressive tax haven and zero Corporation Tax card.

In the end, it'll look much worse than it actually is, in order to satisfy the EU domestic blood-lust for punishment, as set against triggering real-world self-preservation countermeasures that are necessarily too disruptive and radical. That's my take on it anyway; even the divorce will be an EU-style over substance fudge. So: tariffs, but only little ones - 3% sounds about right.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:47 
Sleepyhead

MPs get to vote on the deal though. Interesting if that will see any opposition (probably nothing meaningful but you never know).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:48 
Sleepyhead

The problem with slashing Corp Tax and acting as a haven is that it will, at least initially, mean we career headlong into Debtsville.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:49 

Curiosity wrote:
The problem with slashing Corp Tax and acting as a haven is that it will, at least initially, mean we career headlong into Debtsville.

That is surely unavoidable; we were on that path before Brexit anyway (along with most of the rest of the world btw.).
Besides, I don't think actual corporation tax receipts form such a massive part of overall tax revenue, do they?

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:55 
Gogmagog

Curiosity wrote:

Or, to set out a position so detrimental, people have to say "Wait, hang on...". But, that is the hope I have left.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:56 

Curiosity wrote:
MPs get to vote on the deal though. Interesting if that will see any opposition (probably nothing meaningful but you never know).

I'm expecting principled opposition from the SNP and the Liberal Democrats, a united front from the Conservatives (Ken Clarke and Nicky Morgan on 'special research trip' to Siberia), and an embarrassing clusterfuck from Labour.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:57 

I've never been happy with putting agreements to a legislature on a simple 'up/down' vote, as it doesn't offer the option of amendment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:58 

Expecting 'principled opposition' from the SNP is like expecting the finest foie gras to emerge from my dog's arse.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 14:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cavey wrote:
Expecting 'principled opposition' from the SNP is like expecting the finest foie gras to emerge from my dog's arse.

:D

But have you ever eaten it? I mean, you never know!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 14:03 

:D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 14:04 
Sleepyhead

Kern wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

I'm expecting principled opposition from the SNP and the Liberal Democrats, a united front from the Conservatives (Ken Clarke and Nicky Morgan on 'special research trip' to Siberia), and an embarrassing clusterfuck from Labour.

:DD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 14:14 

MaliA wrote:
Or, to set out a position so detrimental, people have to say "Wait, hang on...". But, that is the hope I have left.

Oh, very much this. I don't condemn people for voting the other way, but I also am not going to change my views overnight: I am willing to be proved wrong on this as much as I currently hope others will.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 14:18 

Heh. No chance.
Even if it's every bit as bad as Cras seems to think it's going to be - we just don't do stuff like that here. (These days people are, if anything, even *more* timid, just keeping their heads down)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 14:19 

Kern wrote:
I've never been happy with putting agreements to a legislature on a simple 'up/down' vote, as it doesn't offer the option of amendment.

And on this point, is it going to be a vote on leaving with the deal, or just falling out, or with a 'let's not do this at all' option? I doubt very much that such a vote would be offered, or such an amendment being accepted.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 14:22 

Cavey wrote:
Heh. No chance.
Even if it's every bit as bad as Cras seems to think it's going to be - we just don't do stuff like that here. (These days people are, if anything, even *more* timid, just keeping their heads down)

I fear I might end up being as tedious as Cicero (I'm reading Mary Beard's 'SPQR' at the moment, and very good it is too) and end every political speech with the same line (perhaps 'Et placuit relinquere'), just to keep it in people's minds.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 14:31 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

MaliA wrote:

But by that point are we not already too late ?

If we trigger article 50 we're saying 'we want out'

At a later point if there is an agreed deal on the table and its not accepted / voted for we're still out ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 14:33 
Sleepyhead

Kern wrote:
Kern wrote:

And on this point, is it going to be a vote on leaving with the deal, or just falling out, or with a 'let's not do this at all' option? I doubt very much that such a vote would be offered, or such an amendment being accepted.

Does seem like a binary option:

Leave with this deal
Leave with no deal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 14:35 

Kern wrote:
Cavey wrote:
Heh. No chance.

I fear I might end up being as tedious as Cicero (I'm reading Mary Beard's 'SPQR' at the moment, and very good it is too) and end every political speech with the same line (perhaps 'Et placuit relinquere'), just to keep it in people's minds.

... I'm not going to pretend that I didn't have to look up Cicero *and* Google-translate that phrase. :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 14:36 

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Carthago delenda est.
And I meant Cato. This might be why I got a D for GCSE Latin.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 14:40 
Gogmagog

zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:

But by that point are we not already too late ?

If we trigger article 50 we're saying 'we want out'

At a later point if there is an agreed deal on the table and its not accepted / voted for we're still out ?

All the other straws have fallen away, and I am left with this one, which also represents hope.

Reply to topic  [ 14397 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168 ... 288  Next