Ghosts, premonitions & deja vu
Real or not?
Goatboy wrote:
Look, there's likely more than the four dimensions we can perceive, and there's nothing to say everything exists in all dimensions. There may well be some overlap. Sentient something(s) inhabiting other folds in the fabric of the universe, other dimensions and so on, may well think we are ghosts.

Or Cybermans.

Also, prescience - why not? We predict the future quite accurately in many ways all the time, sometimes short term forecasts are wildly inaccurate and sometimes long term ones are more accurate then they have any right to be, as was perhaps the case with Asian Jacob. Giving a brain a stroke is certainly one way of modifying perception and relativity - observing an event affects the event and, oh, just read some Frank Herbert and have a think.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

I put it to you to prove it.

The large green dragon in my garage disagrees with you on every point by the way.
Quote:

Ooh, a science fundie. Every bit as close-minded as a Christian fundie, but slightly more funny to watch in a forum.

:p

Obviously if things like this exist (IF they exist) then they exist outside the known boundaries of current science, and thus cannot be "proven" with existing scientific thinking of how you "prove" something. Demanding that either they be proven with rational proof or should not be discussed any further is every bit as stupid and closeminded as the Christian fundie that sticks his fingers in his ears and declares "Well . . . God can break the rules!" when presented with something that clearly blows a hole in the bible.
Well Mali, I don't believe in ghosts at all, but I know what I saw in that warehouse. Dark haired guy, blue shirt, black trousers. Had his back to me so I couldn't see his face. I saw him for a good 2-3 seconds before he dissappeared. I'm quite willing to believe it was a trick of the light - in fact that's precisely what I believe it was - but my description is exactly the same as that given to me by two security guards whom I'd never spoken to it about before. And that is a bit odd.

Dimmers... that's an incredible story and one that made me feel a bit sad I have to say. I'm really sorry for your loss, dude.

This isn't anything like as spooky, but I kinda like it anyway. When my mum was preggers with me (her first child) she was really hoping for a girl, largely because she wanted to call me Katherine in honour of her own mum who passed away two years earlier. Obviously I popped out with different genetalia than she was hoping for, plus she was really very ill after the birth, so I went unnamed for a couple of days. My father eventually decided he wanted me to be called David, which my mum was very against, since my father had a nephew who was also called David and she thought it'd be a bit odd I suppose. However, Get Well Soon cards started showing up at the hospital addressed to my mum and David, so the decision was kind of out of her hands by that point.

Months later, at my Christening, my mum's aunt came over to talk to her and told her how pleased her mum would've been with my name. It turns out that my mother had an older brother who died only two days old, and her mum was never quite the same after the death. He was called David, and it was her favourite name.
Demon glowey red eyes boy doesn't want us to believe! Demon glowey red eyes boy wants us to sleepwalk to our graves!

MaliA wrote:
Seriously.

You believe this?
MaliA wrote:
To make extraordinary claims, one needs extraordinary proof.

Go for it.

HINT: Anecdotes do not sets of data make.

True, all I'm saying is that I trust my dad's side of the family and something weird definitely happened. My mum's side are a bit bonkers however.
I dont think anyone is trying to claim anything here as proof, just interesting stories.

I dont believe in ghosts, but I dont think people make these sorts of stories up. The experiences are real, even if they werent actually as they thought. The light, tiredness, mind playing tricks or the light from Venus refracting through a pocket of marsh gas, but still actual events.

My brother once lived in a house that was allegedly haunted by the ghost of Judge Jefferys who walked about gnawing a bloody bone, as he stayed there just before the Bloody Assize. He never saw it though.
I have a mate who grew up in Pluckley - the most haunted village in England. He never saw anything, the boring twat.
Zen-Chan wrote:
Quote:

Ooh, a science fundie. Every bit as close-minded as a Christian fundie, but slightly more funny to watch in a forum.

:p

Obviously if things like this exist (IF they exist) then they exist outside the known boundaries of current science, and thus cannot be "proven" with existing scientific thinking of how you "prove" something. Demanding that either they be proven with rational proof or should not be discussed any further is every bit as stupid and closeminded as the Christian fundie that sticks his fingers in his ears and declares "Well . . . God can break the rules!" when presented with something that clearly blows a hole in the bible.

Scientists think of a likely explanation, then take steps to disprove it. You are missing the critical difference here. Also, science is built upon, year on year.
MaliA wrote:
Scientists think of a likely explanation, then take steps to disprove it. You are missing the critical difference here. Also, science is built upon, year on year.

Your reply appears to confirm that you are completely enclosed in scientific thinking and thus cannot even comprehend considering things without it.
MaliA wrote:
To make extraordinary claims, one needs extraordinary proof.

Go for it.

HINT: Anecdotes do not sets of data make.

I consider that several people, into double figures, saying, independently, that something is going on in this house, indicates that something is happening. I'm not going to make claims as to exactly what.

I will say, in response to what someone said earlier, things happen both day and night time, and are not specifically anthropomorphic. But then, I've never seen things, just heard or felt them. Other people have here, though.

But, I belive that there is unexplained stuff out there. In fact, if scientific theory is correct, there will always be stuff we cannot explain or understand.
Zen-Chan wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Your reply appears to confirm that you are completely enclosed in scientific thinking and thus cannot even comprehend considering things without it.

That's pretty presumptuous. It confirms that he has at least a basic understanding of scientific method. He hasn't ruled anything out except that which cannot be tested (and therefore reliably reported as fact); merely said that you can't say with certainty what, if anything, stories like those in this thread prove. This is true, like it or not. I'm prepared to believe there's an explanation for such things, but until one can be demonstrably proven (or at least withstand rigorous testing), any explanation we give is just supposition. Possibly imaginative, intelligent and even accurate supposition, but nothing more.
Derek Joists wrote:
But, I belive that there is unexplained stuff out there. In fact, if scientific theory is correct, there will always be stuff we cannot explain or understand.

Well, that's handy.
CUS wrote:
Derek Joists wrote:

Well, that's handy.

What? That human knowledge is fundamentally incomplete? Quite annoying, I would say.

The point is, no matter how many questions we answer scientifically, those answers will throw up new questions. Quite apart from that, can you suggest a scientific method for testing whether there is life after death? I tend to think that's a non-scientific question in the first place.
Derek Joists wrote:
can you suggest a scientific method for testing whether there is life after death? I tend to think that's a non-scientific question in the first place.

Yes, I call it a stick. If that fails, I get a second opinion from a sharper stick.

Quote:
What? That human knowledge is fundamentally incomplete? Quite annoying, I would say.

Annoying? But then, what is the point of living at all, if we are born into a completeness of self?
Derek Joists wrote:
can you suggest a scientific method for testing whether there is life after death?

Yes - go fetch me a Kiefer Sutherland, a Julia Roberts, and a Baldwin - doesn't really matter which.
I haven't read the thread, but isn't deja vu simply your brain storing a brand new memory in your long term memory by mistake, causing you to think you've seen what you're witnessing before. As much as I'd love to believe in it, I think that explanation is a pretty good one.

As for ghosts, I dunno. Once again, I'd like to meet one and believe in it.
Curiosity wrote:
sinister agent wrote:
I've no idea where I read this, but isn't deja vu just your brain's memory function getting itself in a tizz, so that it thinks that the present is the past? It's sort of recording the memory and playing it back at the same time, or a picosecond later, so that even as things are happening, you feel like you're conjuring up a memory.

I remeber hearing or reading something that may be lies or may be truth, saying that it's something about a lack of synchronisation between the eyes, so the one eye sees something and the brain quickly stores it as memory, and then the other eye sees it but the brain processes it a fraction of a second later, which causes the same neurological response as memory, since the brain is reactivating a pathway as opposed to making a new one.

It sounded terribly plausible at the time.

Damn it.
Zen-Chan wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Which part of my viewpoint irks you so, and why?
I get deja vu from time to time. Pretty sure it's a mind memory muddle thing, very odd sensation though.
I get deja vu from time to time. Pretty sure it's a mind memory muddle thing, very odd sensation though.
Does anyone else very occasionally go all dizzy out of the blue for a few seconds?

It happens to me every so often, though not often enough for me to consider it a problem (maybe once a year, at most). It feels like someone has just degaussed me; my head just flickers, and I lose sense of balance and coordination for a second, while the world spins around me.

It's actually really ace, but weird.
nynfortoo wrote:
Does anyone else very occasionally go all dizzy out of the blue for a few seconds?

It happens to me every so often, though not often enough for me to consider it a problem (maybe once a year, at most). It feels like someone has just degaussed me; my head just flickers, and I lose sense of balance and coordination for a second, while the world spins around me.

That means you have bad aids.
We got it. We didn't laugh.
nynfortoo wrote:

Yeah, I get the odd head rush. Faintly disconcerting, but I think it's just one of those benign, weird little things the body does from time to time when it's not paying attention properly.
Craster wrote:
We got it. We didn't laugh.

I did.

Blame Malis Dragon, he told me to post it.
MaliA wrote:
That means you have bad aids.

Aw, bugger! (ho ho)

sinister agent wrote:
Yeah, I get the odd head rush. Faintly disconcerting, but I think it's just one of those benign, weird little things the body does from time to time when it's not paying attention properly.

Ah, ace. It isn't just me then.
MaliA wrote:

Hope I can find a quote that annoys MaliA....

(Reads some Shakespeare)

Aha!

Quote:
“There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.”

Phew, that was close.
Quote:
“There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.”[citation needed]

Revisionism FTFY
Here's your proof Mali!

If this isn't a case of real life spectre taking over the mind of a leading expert on the subject then I don't know what is.

But Hamlet was a loony that kept on thinking he was seeing the ghost of his dead dad whilst he plotted to off his step father.
MaliA wrote:
But Hamlet was a loony that kept on thinking he was seeing the ghost of his dead dad whilst he plotted to off his step father.

I've seen a film of this, and I think it captures quite clearly that the ghost was there.

Don't even get me started on Ghostbusters...
Zardoz wrote:
Here's your proof Mali!

If this isn't a case of real life spectre taking over the mind of a leading expert on the subject then I don't know what is.

Once again I can't see what you've posted, but I bet that's from TV's famous Ghostwatch and is possibly Michael Parkinson being posessed.
Zardoz wrote:
Here's your proof Mali!

There's someone I'd try and run over if I could drive.
MaliA wrote:

No, others see the ghost as well, Horatio and the two guards Marcellus and Barnado at the beginning, and before Hamlet.

Edit: Also, Hamlet was mostly sane, he merely pretended to be a loony to survive court intrigue and lessen suspicions so he could more effectively conspire against Claudius.
Mary loves dick, hahahahahaha!
nynfortoo wrote:

I get this when I stand up too fast. My vision goes totally black and I can't see shit.
GazChap wrote:
I get this when I stand up too fast. My vision goes totally black and I can't see shit.

I've blacked out from that before now. Scary stuff. But this latest head-flicker happened just as I was stepping into a rowing boat, and hadn't sat down in a fair while.
ComicalGnomes wrote:
Mary loves dick, hahahahahaha!

Is that the YouTube video above? Bobbyaro goes on about that all the time, but I've never seen it. Must remember to look at it when I get home.
Mimi wrote:
There's someone I'd try and run over if I could drive.

You could run over him anyway. I recommend football, or preferably golf shoes.
Page 2 of 2 [ 90 posts ]