Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: Metaaaal!
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 17:25 
Worst

pupil wrote:
My house mate told me a band called Nachmystium are playing at the Well in Leeds on Sunday, I'd not heard them, so checked em out on myspace and they're fookin great! I'm def going to see them. Gettin the latest album off Dimmers right now! :P Do you fancy coming to see em, throughsilver? Ghengis Tron who are playing with em don't sound too good tho.

I am specifically going to see Tron (I like them rather a lot), but Nachmystium and Zoroaster are not to be sniffed at either. If I can get tix. It's a long story.

But hopefully.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:17 

throughsilver wrote:
pupil wrote:
My house mate told me a band called Nachmystium are playing at the Well in Leeds on Sunday, I'd not heard them, so checked em out on myspace and they're fookin great! I'm def going to see them. Gettin the latest album off Dimmers right now! :P Do you fancy coming to see em, throughsilver? Ghengis Tron who are playing with em don't sound too good tho.

I am specifically going to see Tron (I like them rather a lot), but Nachmystium and Zoroaster are not to be sniffed at either. If I can get tix. It's a long story.

But hopefully.

jolly good show, well I'm off into town now to get tix, so I'm def going. I'll PM you me number and you can gimme a text if you make it, would be good to say hi, we can bitch about these cunts here in person then ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:46 
lazy eye patch

Like metal? Read German?

Someone I know runs this German metal site. Apparently, they get about 80 CDs a week (inc. demos) to review and keep on top of

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 17:01 
Future War Cultist

Location: Nottingham. Again. No, wait, I'm back in Manchester.
I'd like to do that. I'm incredibly opinionated, and good at pouring boiling vitriol upon rubbish music.

Only German I know is 'ich lieber meiner schon Hosenrad', which apparently means 'I love my Trouser-Bike'.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 17:25 
BETEO voice of unreason

How does one boil vitriol?

Townes.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 18:51 
Future War Cultist

With a vitriol boiler, duh.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 20:56 
Skillmeister

I think Stu has one of those you can borrow.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 21:05 
Worst

pupil wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
pupil wrote:

But hopefully.

jolly good show, well I'm off into town now to get tix, so I'm def going. I'll PM you me number and you can gimme a text if you make it, would be good to say hi, we can bitch about these cunts here in person then ;)

I'm now off to the gig apparently (well, not now now), but fone B. dead. I'll look out for a man with large earlobes. I will assume you're slight of build, shavenheaded and about 6'2"

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 21:30 
BETEO voice of unreason

Dimrill wrote:
I think Stu has one of those you can borrow.

Well, rent for £2 a month...

Townes.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 0:28 

throughsilver wrote:
I'm now off to the gig apparently (well, not now now), but fone B. dead. I'll look out for a man with large earlobes. I will assume you're slight of build, shavenheaded and about 6'2"

Sound. Keep an eye out, right on the ears (1 1/2 inch black discs in atm), but I'm about 5 ft 10, and I have short hair and goatee beard (dunno where you got the skinhead 6 footer idea from?). My left arm is tattooed with black swirly shit and purple lotus flowers. I am a skinny runt though, you're dead right there. hope to see you there dude.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 16:13 
Worst

I think I just remember someone at Jesu looking like that. But it's Jesu - most people there were bald and lanky. ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:30 
Skillmeister

Hurrah! Just completed my Ildjarn CD discography by picking up his extremely r@r3 self-titled release on eBay for $50. Plus a signed copy of Nile's "Festival of Atonement" EP. I am a pleased Dimrill today.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:53 
Skillmeister

Filosofem is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. I had to say that as it hits me now and again how awesome it is.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:42 
lazy eye patch

Fuckin' Burzum?????

Not heard it.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:08 
Skillmeister

Terrible audio quality on this..

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 13:22 
Skillmeister

In the spirit of BEING EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER, who wants my duplicates of the Terrorizer magazines I purchased off eBay the other day? Issues 2,3,5,6,20,22,23,24,25,29,31,32,33,34,35,36,40,42,43 yours for the cost of postage, which'll be probably about a tenner I'd expect. I also have another Issue 3 on its lonesome for the same dealio.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 18:35 
BETEO voice of unreason

Dimrill wrote:
Filosofem is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. I had to say that as it hits me now and again how awesome it is.

:this: :this: :this: :this: :this: :this: :this: :this: :this:

Edit - :metul:

Townes.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 21:59 

Nachtmystium were awesome last night. I bought their Eulogy IV CD and the title track is up there with the emotionally crushing wonderfulness of Abyssic Hate. Hurrah. Ghengis Tron were toilet, I lasted 2 1/2 songs.

I didn't get to meet throughsilver though :( Where were you dude?

.. and a million times :metul: to Filosofem, but it is possibly just pipped by Hvis Lyset Tar Oss.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 22:02 

... and on the same subject, me and my musical collaborative friend Ian SDZH have just christened the project we are working on together, Cymophane. Spot the Burzum reference?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 22:05 
Skillmeister

Aw yea.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 18:11 
Worst

pupil wrote:
Nachtmystium were awesome last night. I bought their Eulogy IV CD and the title track is up there with the emotionally crushing wonderfulness of Abyssic Hate. Hurrah. Ghengis Tron were toilet, I lasted 2 1/2 songs.

I didn't get to meet throughsilver though :( Where were you dude?

Don't listen to Pupil, everyone. Nachmystium were indeed pretty damn good, but the mighty Tron were staggeringly great. I haven't freaked out like that at a gig for a long time. Maybe since I last saw Fugazi. Sadly, they didn't play my favourite song of theirs.

I saw you, Pupil. You were wearing camo shorts, right? And you saw some of that amazingly bad Middleheim black metal karaoke 'band'? I was actually sitting quite near you between bands but, as you were with your crew (which included a very pleasant-looking gyal, so props), I declined to wander up and say 'ere, it's me off the internet!' - next time though.

If you saw a (fit) weirdo with a black Calvin Klein vest on, that was me.

Off to see Melt-Banana at Brudenell?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 18:42 
Skillmeister

So nobody wants those Terrorizers then? Tut. Looks like I'll have to eBay them.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 18:59 
Rude Belittler

Can we have some metal not written by church-burning Scandinavian murderers, please?

Like ?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 19:20 
Worst

Dimrill wrote:
So nobody wants those Terrorizers then? Tut. Looks like I'll have to eBay them.

I do, but off the top of my head don't know what's in them. If there are some from 1996ish I very likely am.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 19:31 
Skillmeister

Choice band interviews:
#2, nov 1993: Carcass, Malevolent Creation, Slayer, Paradise Lost, Pitch Shifter, My Dying Bride
#3, dec 1993: Tallica, Unleashed, Life of Agony, more
#5, feb 1994: My dying bride, Morta Skuld, Anathema, Absu, Prong, Anal Cunt, Pantera
#4, mar 1994: Paradise Lost, Kataklysm, Black Metal special, Cathedral, Hypocrisy
#20 May 1995: Morbid Angel, Deicide, Anathema, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, In the Woods, Electric Wizard
#22 aug 1995: Speultura, Ulver, Abigor, Nailbomb, Bal Sagoth, Fear Factory, Fudge Tunnel
#23 sep 1995: Cathedral, Sinister, Dismember, Autopsy, At The Gates
#24 oct 1995: Down, Nailbomb, Paradise Lost, Dissection
#25 nov 1995: Life of Agony, Opeth, Ved Buens Ende
#29 apr 1996: Cradle of Crap, Satyricon, Neurosis
#31 jun 1996: Slayer, Pantera, Carcass, Fear Factory
#32 jul 1996: Fear Factory, Slayer, Opeth, Marduk
#33 aug 1996: Paradise Lost, Sepultura, Mayhem, Samael, Burzum
#34 sep 1996: Type O negative, Cathedral, Gehenna
#35 oct 1996: Korn, My Dying Bride, Katatonia, Vader
#36 nov 1996: Cradle of Crap, Anathema, Arch Enemy
#40 mar 1997: Machine Head, Entombed, Absu
#42 may 1997: Emperor, Immortal, Dark Tranquility
#43 jun 1997: Fear Factory, In The Woods, Dummy Burger, Napalm Death

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:40 

throughsilver wrote:
Don't listen to Pupil, everyone. Nachmystium were indeed pretty damn good, but the mighty Tron were staggeringly great. I haven't freaked out like that at a gig for a long time. Maybe since I last saw Fugazi. Sadly, they didn't play my favourite song of theirs.

I saw you, Pupil. You were wearing camo shorts, right? And you saw some of that amazingly bad Middleheim black metal karaoke 'band'? I was actually sitting quite near you between bands but, as you were with your crew (which included a very pleasant-looking gyal, so props), I declined to wander up and say 'ere, it's me off the internet!' - next time though.

Ack, fewl! That was me, you should have said hello! I hope you're not one of those chatty on the internet, yet shy as fuck in the real world people? Those people weird me out :P Make sure to say hello next time you see me around, I'll def be at Melt-Banana at the Social.

Glad you enjoyed Ghengis Tron, like I say, really not my thing. What the fuck were that Middleheim band about though?! Were they serious, as they really didn't look like the kinda people to be playing that kind of music (not that I'm gonna judge them on appearance, but they all looked like 18 years old nerds), but if they were a "joke" band, then they put a hell of a lot of effort into writing "joke" metal songs. Weird.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 18:27 
Worst

pupil wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

Ack, fewl! That was me, you should have said hello! I hope you're not one of those chatty on the internet, yet shy as fuck in the real world people? Those people weird me out :P Make sure to say hello next time you see me around, I'll def be at Melt-Banana at the Social.

I'm more chatty in real life actually. As I said, was unsure whether you wanted a Net Person wandering over to your crew. I'll make a point of saying hi at Melt. If I get tix.

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed Ghengis Tron, like I say, really not my thing. What the fuck were that Middleheim band about though?! Were they serious, as they really didn't look like the kinda people to be playing that kind of music (not that I'm gonna judge them on appearance, but they all looked like 18 years old nerds), but if they were a "joke" band, then they put a hell of a lot of effort into writing "joke" metal songs. Weird.

I dunno man. It sounded oddly CoF-ish, but like a really bad version of them (really). Maybe they didn't have enough friends to form a whole band. Pretty sure they were serious, though; they seemed dorky enough to be taking it seriously. When they're not Transformers cosplaying and stuff like that.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 20:59 
lazy eye patch

I'm listening to 'Fishing For Luckies', and y'know, Rich did some bloody good drumming. Imaginative. Appropriate.

CANNOCK!

Also, Grr, I wish I still had the Wildhearts collection that I used to. They were the best band of the 90s for b-sides, I strongly believe. Sigh.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 21:09 
lazy eye patch

Still delightful.

Still the only song ever performed on Top Of The Pops, to contain the lyric, "Baby can't you see I'm shittin' brown water?" :DD

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 21:49 

I saw the Wildhearts back in 199x (where x is a number I don't remember), they played for over 2 hours and I was nearly dead at the end of it. You're right about their B-sides though, their eps/singles were always worth getting as they had some great non-album tracks as well. Sadly, I don't seem to have any of their stuff anymore, so I may have to go on a nostalgic hunt.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 23:02 
Worst

Wildies are my fave British band ever. Seriously.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 23:46 
Skillmeister

It's been 11 years since "La Masquerade Infernale" was released. I feel so old.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:38 

Dimrill wrote:
It's been 11 years since "La Masquerade Infernale" was released. I feel so old.

I bought that when it came out. I was a dreadlocked skater-looking kid at the time, and I remember talking to members of the "Blackpool Satanic Inner Circle" about it and them being mortified that I liked it.

Also, crowd surfing at a Wildhearts gig in... 1996ish, and getting elbowed in the face and covered in my own blood is a contributing factor to my weirdly shaped nose.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:42 
lazy eye patch

I saw The Wildhearts at Wolves Civic. I saw them at the Phoenix Festival in 1995 (similarly, saw Terrorvision there, who really were SUPERB live), and saw them again as 'The Mood Swingers' when they played some 'secret gigs' under that name. Always great, I wish I could go back in time to re-watch 'em.

(I also saw Danny Wildheart, in the Yo-Yos, supporting Therapy? in Oxford, making him the individual I've seen the most 'live in concert', heh)

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:46 
Future War Cultist

I've seen the Wildhearts a lot of times, including several rehearsals :P

They're in my top three bands of all time ever.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:48 
Skillmeister

The Wildhearts are not The Wildhearts without Danny or Rich. Discuss.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:50 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

I think the Wildhearts are great. Even though they play around my area seemingly once every week, I've never actually seen them. A friend of mine, a masssssive fan, actually got to support Ginger on his solo tour a few years back. Ginger said he really like his stuff, and the guy nearly masturbated himself to death about this fact. (Expectantly, of course).

Anyway, I'm posting to include this:
"The Wildhearts cover Super Furries"
http://www.myspace.com/thewildhearts

Check it, innit.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:52 
Future War Cultist

Tsk. Wrong, on many levels. Danny was a liability, the tour with Toshi Ploduct and that guy from Amen was ace. I'll admit that Rich is great, a lot of the 9/4 stuff on 'Fishing For Luckies' would have been different without him. But Supershit 666, SG5, Ginger's solo stuff.. All amazing. Ginger is the Wildhearts.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:06 
Skillmeister

I'm just watching the DVD side of the Necroticism... reissue. Poor Ken. Bloody hell that haemorrhage has really knocked him about.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:23 
Hibernating Druid

Dimrill wrote:
Bloody hell that haemorrhage.

These band names get better and better.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 18:17 

CUS wrote:
I saw The Wildhearts at Wolves Civic. I saw them at the Phoenix Festival in 1995 (similarly, saw Terrorvision there, who really were SUPERB live), and saw them again as 'The Mood Swingers' when they played some 'secret gigs' under that name. Always great, I wish I could go back in time to re-watch 'em.

(I also saw Danny Wildheart, in the Yo-Yos, supporting Therapy? in Oxford, making him the individual I've seen the most 'live in concert', heh)

Yeah, I saw them at the Civic as well, perhaps we were both at the same gig?
I'm not sure about that Super Furries cover, I listened to it last night and thought it was a bit too similar to the original. I'd forgotten how great caffeine bomb was though.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 18:32 

Good, Wildhearts fans. Sorry about the PR for Endless, Nameless, we did our best.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 0:17 
lazy eye patch

Goatboy wrote:
Good, Wildhearts fans. Sorry about the PR for Endless, Nameless, we did our best.

Whuh?

Mushroom?

Totally unrelatedly, I have heard two Amen songs, this is the one that I like.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:43 
Future War Cultist

Endless Nameless is fucking awesome.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 20:57 
Kvnt

Cannabis Corpse - Tube of the Resinated

Get it.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 22:05 
Skillmeister

Quite tempted by that, The End had it on offer along with their debut Blunted at Birth.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 22:10 
Kvnt

Go for it, mate. It's not all about the parody song titles; this is a top doss. :DD

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 22:22 
Worst

Fuckin a, so much to say! Yeah, Wildies = beyond awesome. Endless Nameless is a fantastic record which, in this age of noise rock ruling the trend roost (Xinlisupreme, Times New Viking et al) is more under-rated than ever. Ginger is indeed the Wildhearts, but I don't have any of his solo stuff. Have Supershit666 on 10", though, which is nice. Only saw Wildies once, a fact I super-regret, but that one time was amazing. Took me a while to realise Scott Sorry wasn't Danny Mac. My contacts suck. Other stuff too, I guess.

If anyone wants to sell me Endless Nameless or Earth Vs... on 12", that'd be really nice.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:34 
Future War Cultist

Seriously, the bands that I would save from a fire if I could choose only three would be Discordance Axis, Arcade Fire and The Wildhearts. I know it's silly and cliché to wibble on about a band changing your life, but when I heard 'TV Tan' for the first time as a mere stripling it all just clicked. Ginger couldn't write a shit song if he tried. And he has.

There's apparently a Supershit album languishing on a shelf full of DATs somewhere, I need it badly. 'Wire Out' is rock 'n' roll perfection, man.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 20:27 
Worst

Davydd Grimm wrote:
There's apparently a Supershit album languishing on a shelf full of DATs somewhere, I need it badly.

While not as personally gutting as the languishment* of Unida Album #2 on Rick Rubin's Gold Shelves of Being a Bastard, that news was met with a massive fall on the part of my crest.

Also, on listening to Earth's 2005 HEX album (I luxuriantly listened to a mottled grey disc 1 and a picture disc 2, given how I own it twice on vinyl) today, I proper want the new one to come out. I like New Earth more than Old Earth.

* I know it's not a word. What of it? Eh? EH?

Reply to topic  [ 2343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 47  Next