Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2981 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: BITS AND BOBS 26
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 14:47 
Unpossible!

As a fellow sufferer, I can confidently say that sinister works in a university

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 14:48 
Hibernating Druid

I made a promise to myself over Christmas: No more Your Mum jokes in 2011.

*counts the days until 2012*

If I had replied I would have used something along the lines of finishing yours with a double top. Just so you know.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 14:54 
Ready for action

kalmar wrote:
Gilly wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Unless it's a threesome.

That reminds me of the dream I had last night :D :smug: :hat:

We do have a dreams thread you know :hat:

Heh, I think I'll keep this one all to myself ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 14:55 

Mimi wrote:
Seeing if Gazchap had upped and got married in the intervening weeks

Well, I have got form ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 14:57 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Zardoz wrote:

I made a promise to myself over Christmas: No more Your Mum jokes in 2011.

*counts the days until 2012*

If I had replied I would have used something along the lines of finishing yours with a double top. Just so you know.

:DD

In that case, my hypothetical comeback to that would have had something to do with pool, "sinking balls", your Mum knowing how to handle a cue, and possibly everyone putting their 50ps down until it's their turn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 14:58 

Er... fucking hell.

I work in an office block. The doors require security key fobs for entry. Being the NHS, the ratio of chicks to dudes is ridiculous so there are only like 15 guys on this floor.

Someone took a shit in the urinal.

What the fuck?!

Aside from all of the obvious wrongness and the door thing (it couldn't be a rogue chav from outside, besides we're on the fifth floor) it's also an odd move as the urinals are opposite a mirror so as soon as the door is opened, the very well-used corridor has a perfect view of said toilets so it's a gutsy move.

It's either;

someone in my department but they don't seem the type.

someone in IT but they seem like okay guys, I can't think of a candidate.

young, extremely camp guy who was the one who told me about it.

a cross-dresser who possibly uses the ladies bog.

a weird bodybuilder who does marathons all the time.

Probably him, but he's quite short so it might have been an awkward process.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 14:59 
Ready for action

I'm glad you text her Gazchap, I'd have recommended the same. I cancelled my first date with my girlfriend because I wanted to go out with my friends and I went out with a couple of other girls before we went on our first date, but while we were talking about. We've been together five years in February now though :luv: (she was one of the people in my dream last night :hat: )

SupaMod
Est. 1978

8)

[edit]At Blucey

Peculiar, yet lovely

Gilly wrote:
SA, what is it you actually do? I am beginning to suspect you may be working on something top secret, or are perhaps a super smart scientist, since everyone around you sound like buffoons. Either that or you are in a mental hospital and the atmosphere is getting to you, making you paranoid and trusting of no one. An orderly in a mental hospital? Or maybe a patient.

What I do is very interesting to actually do, because of all the people I get to hear from, and all the details it involves. There are also many lovely people who only come to me frustrated, and I get to help them out and send them away a bit happier, which always makes a job better.

I am sure, however, that it is massively dull to hear about because even the simple things take about two minutes of background to make sense to any third party. I do student admin stuff for a university. A lot of it is fairly major stuff like making sure fees are accurate, awarding PhDs, helping people get visas, and trying to get the dozen or so different faculties and departments I work with to talk to each other, give accurate information to people, and not make mistakes that could cost us several million pounds in funding if an auditing body spots them.

I'm also trying to co-ordinate administration across about 12 different faculties, because the way things are done now is ridiculously patchy, and training in some of them seems to consist largely of throwing people in at the deep end and telling them to call me if they have any questions.

THere is nobody else here who knows how to half of what I do. I'd teach them, but I don't have time - I've asked for overtime so I can train them, and will ask again next week.

I like my job. It's because I like it and care about it that I get immensely frustrated by the staggering uselessness of a tiny, tiny number of people, who just happen to be in exactly the right places to make it about ten times harder than it should be. I just want to do my job, and if trusted to do it, would make things ocosiderably better for everyone, as well as saving us about at least a hundred thousand pounds a year, not counting the indirect benefits of not pissing off most of our students. But the worst thing you can do around an incompetent person is be good at what you do.

And my posting on here during work is directly proportional to how fed up I am of it on any given day :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:00 
Ready for action

That is weird...was it there this morning, or has it just appeared? Maybe it was a cleaner? Or maybe someone planned it and put a sign on the door saying it was out of order?
The only real option you have is to set up a camera.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

sinister agent wrote:
awarding PhDs

Hook me up, bredren.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:03 
Unpossible!

Gilly wrote:
kalmar wrote:
Gilly wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Unless it's a threesome.

We do have a dreams thread you know :hat:

Heh, I think I'll keep this one all to myself ;)

Spoilsport

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:04 
Ready for action

Grim... wrote:
sinister agent wrote:
awarding PhDs

Hook me up, bredren.

:this:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:05 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Grim... wrote:
sinister agent wrote:
awarding PhDs

Hook me up, bredren.

This could probably actually be done if I thought about how to do it for long enough. It'd take ages though, and probably a network of bribees.

Also you're intelligent and work hard. You could get a PhD if you did a bit of preparatory study and there was a subject you really wanted to research.

Edit: I should probably add that I can't actually literally award them - that's done by a fancy awarding body. I just make sure everything is in order and that there's no administrative/policy reason why a student shouldn't be awarded. I do get to read through reports on their exams, though, and some of them include details of their research in various reports. One examiner's formal, confidential comment on a PhD examination was on the quality of the sandwiches provided, which always makes me giggle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'm a crap student :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:06 
baron of techno

sinister agent wrote:
Also you're intelligent and work hard. You could get a PhD if you did [3 years of] preparatory study and there was a subject you really wanted to research.

Right?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:07 
Hibernating Druid

Squirt wrote:
In that case, my hypothetical comeback to that would have had something to do with pool, "sinking balls", your Mum knowing how to handle a cue, and possibly everyone putting their 50ps down until it's their turn.

I might possibly then have said how I have to lift yours up at one end to get my balls back out, remark about the stains on her tatty baise need a good scrubbing and how she helps me extend my reach up by letting me spread my fingers along her cushions.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:07 

"You can tell the professor that I've still got the photos of him and the Dean. I think I'll ask for one of those PhDs next year."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:08 
Hibernating Druid

sinister agent wrote:
awarding PhDs,

Can I be a Doctor of Drawing?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:11 
Peculiar, yet lovely

kalmar wrote:
sinister agent wrote:
Also you're intelligent and work hard. You could get a PhD if you did [3 years of] preparatory study and there was a subject you really wanted to research.

Right?

Not necessarily. You need to prove you understand research methods, and have a solid background of knowledge in a particular field (and usually a specific blade of grass within said field). Typically degrees are required, but there are always exceptions, particularly if you've already done a lot of independent academic work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:13 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

kalmar wrote:
Gilly wrote:
Either that or you are in a mental hospital

That's what I was thinking! :D

Havent you worked it out yet ? , *this* is the mental hospital - we're all patients in here

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:14 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Grim... wrote:

Me too. It's bloody annoying. I love learning, but hate studying. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it either, really.

It's kind of ironic, too, given that I've done jobs that require a degree, where I've learned more on the job than I would have learned in years of studying the same subject. Doing actual original history research was loads of fun. Studying research and archiving methods academically would have bored the tits off me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:
Looked up at the TV while eating my yoghurt this morning, only to see my sisters father-in-law on the BBC news! (Does that make him my father in law too? No idea how these things work.)

Things I knew about Paul, he is working on a wound treatment patch that has taken it's inspiration from honey.
Things I didn't know, he was part of the team that invented the pregnancy test! Which is pretty cool.

Some gentle ribbing over his new found fame next time we have dinner I think :D

If anybody wants to see the piece, it's now up online.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12134402

I don't suppose anyone has a FLV downloader they could fire up, grab the vid and send me the file, do they? There doesn't appear to be a free one available for OSX and none of the website versions I have tried work on the BBC site.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:21 
INFINITE POWAH

Gilly wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Unless it's a threesome.

Well hello!

Hang on...

;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

What about honorary PhDs, how do you get one of them?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:23 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:

Ask Gillian McKeith.

EDIt - oh, honorary, not fake. Right.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:24 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:

Do something worthy.

Or be a celebrity (all graduations have at least one headliner)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:25 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Grim... wrote:

It's usually a combination of nobbing up to the right people and being politically expedient.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:51 
Awesome
Yes

markg wrote:
Wogan'sTrouserBulge wrote:
And Zio, good luck mate. The guys at the MoneySavingExpert forums are supposed to be really helpful, so as has been mentioned, get your ass over there. Also, don't give up on the private sale of your car - times are hard and it might not sell immediately, but don't be tempted to rip yourself off and trade it in at a dealer/WeBuyAnyCar. Get the most you can by selling privately.

Actually I got a quote for mine from We Buy Any Car and it was obviously less than I'd hope to get selling it privately but definitely a lot more than the sort of offer a garage would try to go in with.

When I sold my Yaris I got a quote from the supplying garage, and WeBuyAnyCar. WeBuyAnyCar was £100 more, so I haggled the dealer up to that as I just wanted it offloaded quickly.

I have heard though that when you actually take it to a WeBuyAnyCar dealer that they start chaging their offer straight away. "ooh, there's a ding you didn't tell us about - minus £500. This car hasn't been washed - minus £500"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:52 

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Ask Gillian McKeith.

EDIt - oh, honorary, not fake. Right.

:DD
All the bananas :munkeh:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:57 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mr Russell wrote:
markg wrote:
And Zio, good luck mate. The guys at the MoneySavingExpert forums are supposed to be really helpful, so as has been mentioned, get your ass over there. Also, don't give up on the private sale of your car - times are hard and it might not sell immediately, but don't be tempted to rip yourself off and trade it in at a dealer/WeBuyAnyCar. Get the most you can by selling privately.

Actually I got a quote for mine from We Buy Any Car and it was obviously less than I'd hope to get selling it privately but definitely a lot more than the sort of offer a garage would try to go in with.

When I sold my Yaris I got a quote from the supplying garage, and WeBuyAnyCar. WeBuyAnyCar was £100 more, so I haggled the dealer up to that as I just wanted it offloaded quickly.

I have heard though that when you actually take it to a WeBuyAnyCar dealer that they start chaging their offer straight away. "ooh, there's a ding you didn't tell us about - minus £500. This car hasn't been washed - minus £500"

I've been quoted £3700 for the M5 from webuyanycar, £5k from a garage and I could probably get £6.5k private. It's entirely dependent on the car :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 16:01 
Ready for action

Mr Russell wrote:
markg wrote:

Jen's parents sold their old car through We Buy Any Car or something like that, because the garage wouldn't give them as much as the website! Sure enough though, the guy turned up and started walking around the car, tutting and stating he'd need to deduct £100 here and another £100 here for various things. Jen's mum stood and let him do his whole act, taking notes and finally announcing he could only give them x amount of the actual offer. So Jen's mum said "Right, thanks for coming, we'll just keep it."
He'd travelled up on the train from Middlesborough or somewhere with the aim the drive their car back down and as soon as he realised she wasn't kidding he made a show of calling his boss and then came back and told them they'd get what they were originally offered.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 16:04 
Unpossible!

Webuyanycar relies on people who NEED TO SELL QUICKLY to liquidise their asset. Same deal with the we buy your house for cash guys.

Vultures, basically.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 16:10 
Honey Boo Boo

Anyone know any good deals for Xbox Live subscription codes? I've decided I'm not paying £39.99 a year for it and will just let it revert to Silver when it runs out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 16:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

Trooper wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Looked up at the TV while eating my yoghurt this morning, only to see my sisters father-in-law on the BBC news! (Does that make him my father in law too? No idea how these things work.)

Things I knew about Paul, he is working on a wound treatment patch that has taken it's inspiration from honey.
Things I didn't know, he was part of the team that invented the pregnancy test! Which is pretty cool.

Some gentle ribbing over his new found fame next time we have dinner I think :D

If anybody wants to see the piece, it's now up online.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12134402

I don't suppose anyone has a FLV downloader they could fire up, grab the vid and send me the file, do they? There doesn't appear to be a free one available for OSX and none of the website versions I have tried work on the BBC site.

I have it now, resorted into firing up the windows box. I feel dirty.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 16:15 
ugvm'er at heart...

metalangel wrote:
Anyone know any good deals for Xbox Live subscription codes? I've decided I'm not paying £39.99 a year for it and will just let it revert to Silver when it runs out.

£30 on amazon if you want a physical card to scratch. You might be able to get it a couple of quid cheaper on some of those sites that email you the code, but I don't know any off the top of my head :D
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... ukdeals-21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 16:16 
Ready for action

metalangel wrote:

I was about to start talking about that in the other bits and bobs but I forgot after I didn't get a reply, I think it got lost when the thread changed. There was a deal on the dashboard offering 12 months for £29.99 including a free Snoopy(?) game but I don't know if that's the best...?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 16:16 
Honey Boo Boo

Yeah, an emailed code is what I'm after.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 16:21 
Ready for action

metalangel wrote:
Yeah, an emailed code is what I'm after.

Last time I needed one I did a search on the forum and found a result where someone said they had bought the code and got the email almost immediatly. I used them and got the same service but I didn't save the name. Oops.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 16:40 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Grim... wrote:

Then could you examine that jobby in Blucey's karzi and see if you can tell us anything about the perpetrator?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 16:47 
baron of techno

The number of bananas awarded is two.

(OK, 802).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 16:47 
Hibernating Druid

Grim... wrote:

Send me £12.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 16:50 

DavPaz wrote:
Webuyanycar relies on people who NEED TO SELL QUICKLY to liquidise their asset. Same deal with the we buy your house for cash guys.

Vultures, basically.

Yeah, I'm not quite desperate enough to consider going down that avenue just yet. I've actually got the weekend of 22/23 entirely to myself, since the ex is taking Zioette on holiday and I *think* the missus is heading up to Wales to see her family, so I'll use that to borrow my parents pressure washer and steam cleaner and clean my car like it's never been cleaned before. Then get advertising it.

I'm quite pleased about this idea of doing this sooner rather than later, much as I'll miss my motor, since if I can sell it in time I won't need to put it through another service or renew the tax on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 17:02 
Gogmagog

Zio wrote:
I won't need to put it through another service or renew the tax on it.

Might offer buyer some haggle room, mind you, depending on how much the VED is pa.

In other news: Stag weekend activities are paid for so all I need now is cash for beers, foods and wimmins.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 17:02 

So it turns out a tin of tuna mixed in with a tin of baked beans, a few choice herbs and a bit of chilli powder makes for a not entirely awful snack. Not entirely awful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 17:03 
baron of techno

So it turns out a tin of tuna mixed in with a tin of baked beans

:spew:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 17:04 
Unpossible!

kalmar wrote:
baked beans

:spew:

FTFM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 17:06 
Honey Boo Boo

All the "Live codes by email" seem to be around £30. That's a bit better.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 17:08 

Losers! Beans and tuna FTW! Have you never had it on a jacket potato? Next time you're buying a jacket potato from a shady street vendor, get one with beans on top. Then ask for a dollop of their tuna on top of that. They'll look at you like you've just slipped a turd into their breast pocket, but give it a try, it's amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 17:11 
INFINITE POWAH

Losers! Beans and tuna FTW! Have you never had it on a jacket potato? Next time you're buying a jacket potato from a shady street vendor, get one with beans on top. Then ask for a dollop of their tuna on top of that. They'll look at you like you've just slipped a turd into their breast pocket, but give it a try, it's amazing.

Jacket potatoes bought from anywhere are, without fail, fucking vile.

Also, you're incredibly likely to get sick from potatoes as minor knocks cause them to create what are, in effect, poisons, and the potatoes used at greasy spoons and such are never top notch.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2981 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 60  Next