OOO OOO OOO OOO The Olympics
. OO OO OO OO OO
Yeah, I looked at the live feed.

It's totally going to be popular, but that doesn't change the fact that most people in the country would rather it wasn't happening.
Malc wrote:
Can't find the pictures for day1, but the first article says 100,000 retired/holidaying/not working people saw it start!

Malc

FeeX
Grim... wrote:
Yeah, I looked at the live feed.

It's totally going to be popular, but that doesn't change the fact that most people in the country would rather it wasn't happening.

Oh wait, we asked 'are you looking forward to', not 'do you want'.

Quote:
Are you looking forward to the London 2012 Olympics?
164,025 Yes
276,974 No

I'm sure we asked about how many people actively disapproved. YouGov will have, I'll grab their numbers.
Ah, here we are, from a month ago: http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/d ... 120326.pdf

That's the best they've got - the first question is a little loose for me ("bid for the games" is not the same as "host the games"), but it does come out in the games' favour - 44% to 40% for.

People are more likely to not be interested (especially for the paralympics), however, and very few think the Olympics will be good for "people like themselves" (although a majority think it will be "good for London").

[edit]I'm not 100% convinced that document is public knowledge, so it'd be good if you didn't share it around.
[edit][edit]Like I just did :S
Grim... wrote:
(although a majority think it will be "good for London").

Were those surveyed Londoners? If not, that response could be a bad thing (In an "It's always bloody London that gets stuff, never us up here in Curmudgeon-Under-Ducktrout" sense).
Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:
(although a majority think it will be "good for London").

Were those surveyed Londoners? If not, that response could be a bad thing (In an "It's always bloody London that gets stuff, never us up here in Curmudgeon-Under-Ducktrout" sense).

The PDF linked has a location breakdown - they're from different places.
11 pages or whatever, I think the Olympics is a good thing, because McDonalds have brought back the McRib for two weeks to celebrate.
Yeah! Haven't had one of those for years.

The recent Arizona burger (nachos, chili salsa, meat etc.) was excellent too.
FUCK. You're in Australia, aren't you?
Zardoz wrote:
Yeah! Haven't had one of those for years.

The recent Arizona burger (nachos, chili salsa, meat etc.) was excellent too.

I went to Maccy D's t'other night to get one of those.

Counter chick "Sorry we haven't got any at the moment"
Me "How long till they are ready"
Counter chick "Tomorrow, we've run out of burgers"

McD's run out of burgers! Blimey.
I could have tried one of them, but didn't fancy the idea of nachos in my burger.

Had a Chicago one, though - that was nice.
Does the Arizona burger contain cheese that belongs to someone else?
Fucking torch here in the South Wales tomorrow and Saturday. It was in Swindon yesterday, the entire Data Quality dept downed keyboards to go and watch Diddler Drogheda go past with his flaming stick.

Then it turned out he was running late. I was amused.
I now also have tickets to womens handball.

I fear I have woefully misconstrued the concept of women handling balls. At least I'll actually get to go in the olympic park, though.
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
I now also have tickets to womens handball.

I fear I have woefully misconstrued the concept of women handling balls. At least I'll actually get to go in the olympic park, though.

Just make sure you dont wear anything / eat anything / carry anything with non olympic branding on it.....

http://newsfeed.kosmograd.com/kosmograd ... -zone.html
Better watch out for the Brand Gestapo, Pepsi drinkers will be sent to re-education camps, and Burger King fans will disappear in the middle of the night.
Quote:
it rains less in London than in either Paris or New York

8)
Grim... wrote:
I could have tried one of them, but didn't fancy the idea of nachos in my burger.

It works.
Craster wrote:

WTF?
The Nacho Burger thing is awesome.

Someone best warn CM Punk not to go to London during the McDonaldsPepsiDowChemicalympics.
Pundabaya wrote:
Better watch out for the Brand Gestapo, Pepsi drinkers will be sent to re-education camps, and Burger King fans will disappear in the middle of the night.

Nah , nothing quite as sinister - they will just be detained and removed from the area.
Zardoz wrote:
Craster wrote:

WTF?

NACHO CHEESE!
Craster wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Craster wrote:

WTF?

NACHO CHEESE!

:D
Craster wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Craster wrote:

WTF?

NACHO CHEESE!

:DD Post of the century.
zaphod79 wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:

Nah , nothing quite as sinister - they will just be detained and removed from the area.

Personally, I find being told what to eat, drink and wear while you're in a certain place is quite sinister enough.

Especially when people were arrested for nothing around the royal wedding for such terrible crimes as looking like a protestor, or wearing fancy dress.

And you know what? Even with all this brand policing, Nike will get around it and guerilla advertise.
Pundabaya wrote:
Personally, I find being told what to eat, drink and wear while you're in a certain place is quite sinister enough.

Sorry - If i wasnt clear I agree and i *almost* wrote they would be arrested and detained as a terrorist but thought that might be a little far fetched :-)

Pundabaya wrote:
And you know what? Even with all this brand policing, Nike will get around it and guerilla advertise.

I like the examples in that article about how people have got round it in the past - however given the rocket launchers on top of blocks of flats how long until there is a real disaster with this

Quote:
This brand apartheid is designed to prevent "ambush marketing", the gaining exposure of an brand through unofficial means. One of the best known examples of this was in the World Cup in 2010, where a bevy of 36 Dutch beauties in orange dresses provided by Bavaria beer gained considerable media attention, to the chagrin of the official World Cup beer, Budweiser.

Quote:
"The 1996 edition of the European Championships, Uefa’s premier international quadrennial soccer tournament, provided an example of ambush marketing that changed the face of sports sponsorship. English sportswear company Umbro had paid for the rights to be the official sportswear supplier of the championships, only to find that Nike had purchased all the poster space and advertising sites in and around Wembley Park underground station, the main travel hub for England’s national stadium, Wembley. Nike’s move completely negated the power of Umbro’s official partnership. The same thing happened for the World Cup in 1998 when Nike hijacked Adidas’ official association in much the same way. As a consequence Uefa, European soccer’s governing body, has spearheaded the use and enforcement of marketing exclusion zones surrounding stadia, forcing the official sponsorship agencies of the competition in question to buy all the advertising space within a 1.3 mile radius of the stadia. The IOC too was quick to adopt this counter-ambushing strategy. The ability to implement such exclusion zones is now a key element in the process to decide future Olympic host cities."

Quote:
In World Cup 2010 in South Africa, Nike circumvented the billboard advertising ban by projecting onto the side of a building in Johannesburg. As the authorities get wiser, Nike get smarter.

Grim... wrote:
Quote:
it rains less in London than in either Paris or New York

8)

Sounds like the way that every city with a canal or two running through it has 'more bridges than Venice'.
I've just received a promotional 'tweet' from ['a US airline'-LoCoG Stasi] inviting me to enter a competition to win a flight to London to cheer on the US team. I've always wanted to use Oxford airport and this seems as good a chance as any.
While doing a bit of research (did you know the 1956 Summer Olympics were held in Melbourne.... and Stockholm?) - I came across this amusing Olympic Torch story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Larkin_(Olympics)

Quote:
Barry Larkin was a veterinary surgeon from Melbourne, Australia who performed a hoax during the 1956 Summer Olympics where he pretended to be running with the Olympic Flame.

Hoax

Larkin and eight other students at St John's College, University of Sydney, planned to protest against the Olympic Flame. One reason was that the torch relay was invented by the Nazis for the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, Germany.

The plan was to get one of the other students, dressed in white shorts and a white top, to carry a fake torch. The fake was made of a wooden chair leg painted silver, on top of which was a plum pudding can. A pair of underpants, worn by one of the students in National Service, was put inside the can, soaked in kerosene. The underpants were set on fire. Another student dressed as a motorcycle outrider by wearing a reserve airforce uniform.

The torch was scheduled to enter Sydney, carried by Harry Dillon. Dillon would present the Torch to the Mayor of Sydney, Pat Hills, at Sydney Town Hall. Hills would then make a speech and pass the torch to Bert Button. Before Dillon arrived, the two students went out carrying the fake torch. At the beginning, people noticed they were joking and even had the police laughing at them. Then the underpants fell out of the torch because the fake runner was swinging his arms too hard. The runner panicked and fled. Peter Gralton, one of the nine students, went to get the pants and told Larkin to pick up the torch. With Larkin holding the torch, Gralton kicked Larkin's backside and told him to run.

Larkin did so, running the rest of the way to Sydney Town Hall. He ran the rest of the route, protected by police who thought that he was Dillon. Larkin then presented the torch to Hills. As Hills was unprepared, he did not look at the torch and went straight to his speech. While Hills was talking, Larkin walked quietly away, avoiding attention. Hills was not told the torch was a fake until someone whispered in his ear that it was a fake. Hills looked around for Larkin, but by now Larkin had merged into the crowd and escaped.

Aftermath

When the crowd discovered that the torch was fake, they began to grow unruly. When Dillon arrived with the real torch, the crowd was still unsettled. Hills had to calm down the crowd and the police had to clear a path to allow Dillon to get through. When Button took the torch, an army truck had to clear his path.

When Larkin returned to university, he was congratulated by the director of the college and was given a standing ovation by fellow students when he attended an exam later that morning. He was able to perpetrate the hoax partly because he was acquainted with Marc Marsden, the organiser of the real relay. Larkin went on to become a successful veterinary surgeon.

The fake torch was taken to the reception of the main hall and then ended up in the possession of John Lawler, who had been travelling with the relay in a car. He kept it until it was accidentally lost when tidying his house.

Inspiration

In the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, the media reported the story of Larkin's hoax. As a result, the police took measures to prevent any repetition of the hoax from happening again. This included security guards lining the route. However, this was not popular as some people complained that they could not see the torch. Some hoaxers did try to disrupt the relay; two people attempted to steal the torch and one man tried to put out the torch using a fire extinguisher, but no one succeeded.
Zardoz wrote:
FUCK. You're in Australia, aren't you?

Indeed. I got one for a late lunch yesterday and it was good - I think it has been 15 years or more since I last had one. But I was so hungry I ate it like an animal rather than savour it. I think I'll get another one tomorrow :p
I remember getting this picture in a FW:FW:Fwd:Fw:RE:FWD:LOL email a long time ago, back when there were funny things going round the internet:
Well, if the mere torch fucking relay through South Wales is any indication, the rail network is NOT prepared and this will be a complete fucking disaster. It certainly was today, as first Caerphilly, then Merthyr, then Treherbert became fucked with the sheer volume of idiots wanting to clap at guy with a torch like it was Quest for fucking Fire.
metalangel wrote:
Well, if the mere torch fucking relay through South Wales is any indication, the rail network is NOT prepared and this will be a complete fucking disaster. It certainly was today, as first Caerphilly, then Merthyr, then Treherbert became fucked with the sheer volume of idiots wanting to clap at guy with a torch like it was Quest for fucking Fire.

Meanwhile I walked ten minutes from my door. Life is grand.

"What-ho! Fire coming through, shunt those engies out of the way m'lad!"
The Olympic Greys are a dour, wrinkly bunch aren't they?
metalangel wrote:

They really are. I saw more joy at a televised Euro summit with Greek catering.

And why they needed so many of them to obscuringly cluster around one guy when his job is simply to run 300 yards with a torch, whilst being highly visible, I have no fucking idea.
Just in case somebody attempted to enjoy the spectacle.
metalangel wrote:

Wasn't there a fuss back in 2008 about the Chinese Olympic goons going a bit over the top when the torch passed through London?
Literally everyone involved in this pointless fascist fire jog is a fucking imbecile. Doubly so if you are supposed to be cool, like Doctor Who. He of all people should know better.
It's fun! Let people have fun without being moaning bastards! The way people are going on it's as if they're using the torch to set fire to babies!
It's not fun, don't be stupid.
GovernmentYard wrote:
It's not fun, don't be stupid.

I had best go tell the thousands of people having fun that they are mistaken and not in fact having the fun they thought they were, because some chap on the Internet disagrees with them.
GovernmentYard wrote:
Literally everyone involved in this pointless fascist fire jog is a fucking imbecile. Doubly so if you are supposed to be cool, like Doctor Who. He of all people should know better.

...and get off my lawn!

I've no real problem with it. There's been some nice photos come out of it, and I quite like things like this.
I'm fine with the Olympics as and of itself. I like and approve of the notion of people trying to get their cheevos in the categories of "Make Run Fast", "Stick-Jump" and "Cyclemania". It's good fun and they're good people.

What I resent with cold, steely eye are all the hangers on bloating up and beshitting something good. Vanity Olympic building projects. Relentless tat merchandising. Talentless art-hacks creating new standards of hideousness in the foulness of the Olympic Logo and the staggeringly unpleasant mascots. I mean, c'mon, the Olympics already has a fucking logo and it's a grand one. Just pop the word 'Britain' and the number '2012' on it and you're done. It seems increasingly an event designed to give fuckwitted advertisers and property developers a job.

Still, for the Olympic Torch itself I reckon it's a fine thing, despite being invented by the Nazis in the '36 games. Lots of people went to the bay and had a fine time that morning, more power for 'em. Not even the mirthless haggard goons of the Olympic officidom could detract much.

I shall be highly relieved when it's all over, though.
Speaking of the unbelievable bullshit that seems to come along with the Olympics: http://newsfeed.kosmograd.com/kosmograd ... -zone.html

Quote:
The most carefully policed Brand Exclusion Zone will be around the Olympic Park, and extend up to 1km beyond its perimeter, for up to 35 days. Within this area, officially called an Advertising and Street Trade Restrictions venue restriction zone, no advertising for brands designated as competing with those of the official Olympic sponsors will be allowed. (Originally, as detailed here, only official sponsors were allowed to advertise, but leftover sites are now available). This will be supported by preventing spectators from wearing clothing prominently displaying competing brands, or from entering the exclusion zone with unofficial snack and beverage choices. Within the Zone, the world's biggest McDonald's will be the only branded food outlet, and Visa will be the only payment card accepted.

This brand apartheid is designed to prevent "ambush marketing", the gaining exposure of an brand through unofficial means. One of the best known examples of this was in the World Cup in 2010, where a bevy of 36 Dutch beauties in orange dresses provided by Bavaria beer gained considerable media attention, to the chagrin of the official World Cup beer, Budweiser. At London 2012, branding 'police' will be on hand to ensure that nothing like this happens, with potential criminal prosecutions against those responsible. Organising committee LOCOG will also take steps to ensure that no unofficial business tries to associate itself with the Olympics by using phrases like 'London 2012', even on such innocuous things such as a cafe menu offering an 'Olympic breakfast'. The Olympics authorities are looking to control both language and space.

There's more at the link.
O2 aren't an olympic sponsor. Given that area covers The O2, are they going to make them rename it? Or remove all their branding from inside?
Craster wrote:
O2 aren't an olympic sponsor. Given that area covers The O2, are they going to make them rename it? Or remove all their branding from inside?

I note that it's labelled as "North Greenwich Arena". Also, from TFA:

Quote:
And it's not just London. All the venues for the 2012 Olympics will be on brand lockdown. In Coventry, even the roadsigns will be changed so that there is no reference to the Ricoh Arena, which is hosting matches in the football tournament. Even logos on hand dryers in the toilets are being covered up. The Sports Direct Arena in Newcastle will have to revert back to St. James Park for the duration of the Olympics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-co ... e-16703448
Aye, O2 has a temporary name change and is removed from road signs round here I think. However most of them are just the picture, from 2000.
Page 7 of 53 [ 2601 posts ]