Gas Guzzling Money Pits
pointless expenses and cars
Looking more and more like a car
There’s a Scimitar not too far from me. Looks in good nick.
Looking good, Wookie!
Mr Chonks wrote:
There’s a Scimitar not too far from me. Looks in good nick.

Fibreglass body work is a big plus.
Are you aiming to do a restoration build on the Scimitar or will there be modern tinkerings going in, Wookie?
Zardoz wrote:
Are you aiming to do a restoration build on the Scimitar or will there be modern tinkerings going in, Wookie?

It's being a cheap but reliable (lol) build that'll be fun on a track. Very little modernisation other than tpms. Wider wheels and maybe an arch kit are incoming
krazywookie wrote:
tpms

:metul:
I bet that wasn't on the Scimitar spec sheet, but at least it was accurate in their case, unlike Hyundai.
Was one of my father's dream cars that. That and the Interceptor.

Liked a sports car did my dad. He had quite a few before my brother and I were born. Thankfully we were never wedged in the back of one as my mother made him sell the BGT and get a new Cortina Ghia :)

Keep us updated please. I love the colour too, proper 70s.
I have a tpms too. It’s called my hand and a tyre pressure monitor.
Mr Chonks wrote:
I have a tpms too. It’s called my hand and a tyre pressure monitor.

Tricky to use when driving.
And it can totally save you from an awkward situation.

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 9#p1019849

Is TPMS as good as a proper tyre pressure gauge? (Of which I have one in the car at all the times.)

No.

Is it a useful additional system?

Yes.
My TPMS is the MOT tester.
Hearthly wrote:
Even more so if you're capable of changing the wheel afterwards!
A nice lady came to do it.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

It’s definitely worth having a proper wrench in the car for changing wheels. The ones that sometimes come with cars are generally shit
DBSnappa wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

It’s definitely worth having a proper wrench in the car for changing wheels. The ones that sometimes come with cars are generally shit

Good job they only sometimes come with cars then
Telescopic wheel brace! :metul:
Grim... wrote:
Impact wrench!

Dis bad boi
I need one of those. I don't *have* a need for one, I just need one
Drove to the gym last night and stopped at a pelican crossing that was 200yds away, when I set off there was a thunk and the car sounded odd for the short journey into the car park...

Thought I'd best have a look before driving home and discovered it was the intercooler pipe that had blown off* and hit the alternator belt pulley!

Attachment:
chomped.jpg

Left a few small holes in the pipe but luckily the belt is ok

Attachment:
holeyplastic.jpg

Managed to get the pipe back on and McGuyver the chewed pipe with tape and cable ties until a doner part is secured from eBay.

Attachment:
McGuyvered.jpg

Wondering now if the pipe has been working loose for some time as I've been getting MAP errors (the sensor is located just before where the pipe popped off) so maybe once this is replaced I'll nip the limp mode in the bud.

* :hat:
krazywookie wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Impact wrench!

Dis bad boi

Does it go WRRRRRTHHRRRP!!! WRRRRRTHHRRRP!!! like an airline one? :metul:
Zardoz wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Impact wrench!

Dis bad boi

Does it go WRRRRRTHHRRRP!!! WRRRRRTHHRRRP!!! like an airline one? :metul:

Nope.
Dugga dugga guns go DUGGA DUGGA.

Best thing I've bought in ages, and I've also bought two chainsaws, an axe and a hatchet in the same timeframe.

A mate at work has also bought a dugga dugga after I lent him mine and the bolt he couldn't shift got dugga dugga'd easily.
New car got!

Well... new car got in a weeks time.. I paid a deposit today.

2003 MX5 Mk2.5 Sport in blue, 88000 miles. I'm getting the sills sorted and the wheels refurbished, and 12 months MOT put on it, before I pick it up.
£1800, bit more than I really wanted to spend, but finding a non-rusty one is virtually impossible
That's just the same as mine was, colour, type, everything. It was lovely.
I've always wanted an MX-5. That's going to be great fun through the summer.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I've always wanted an MX-5. That's going to be great fun through the summer.

Same. My friend has had a Mk1 with the flip lights garaged for years now and keeps saying she'll get it out every summer, but doesn't. One day when I have some money I'm going to try to buy it from her.
This is my 3rd now, but my first mk2.

I just missed out on a one owner mk3 for £1700 that looked in great condition especially for the price, but it had 147k on the clock. That's a serious amount of miles for an MX5! Hence the super cheap price.
Probably for the best as it would have been very tricky to sell on once I had done with it. It would have been a great car for someone who didn't swap their cars every few months though, someone like Hearthy now ;)
The MK3 still rusts under the sills - Helen's needed welding after failing an mot because it was within radius of the seat belt bolt.
Some new eyes for the car. Every time Seren sees it she says it's got sore eyes and is crying and I couldn't take it any more.
krazywookie wrote:
Some new eyes for the car. Every time Seren sees it she says it's got sore eyes and is crying and I couldn't take it any more.

Maybe it needs eyelashes
:this:

Update: Got my spare part for £12 inc delivery! Going rate for those packy boosty pipes is £20-25 on eBay.
It's going to be annoying having a car I actually care about again, I've already spent £50 on paint, roof dye, etc... To touch up the little bits that need doing. I haven't even got the car yet...
Retouching please. Touching up implies you care about the car in all the wrong ways
Retouching sounds like you care about the car in all the wrong ways again though.
I think the new Mazda 3 is a nice looking thing:

Ooh yeah it is
Can’t look any worse than the early to mid 00s version.
Actually think I might have fucked up the picture there, that looks like a saloon. This one:

I was going to say, the first one looks more like a Mazda6.
I think it's a Mazda 3 but the American sedan version.
Yeah nice styling, think the MX-5 is still the best out of the new fleet.
I really don’t like the most recent MX-5. Give me a classic shape every time.
Really? For me it's Mk4 > Mk1 > Mk2 > Mk3 as looks go.
I don’t like the rear end at all.
Zardoz wrote:
Really? For me it's Mk4 > Mk1 > Mk2 > Mk3 as looks go.

Abarth 124 > Mk1 > Mk4 > Mk 2 or 3
Not seen a Mazda Abarth 124 :attitude:
Page 563 of 614 [ 30665 posts ]