OOO OOO OOO OOO The Olympics
. OO OO OO OO OO
Nottingham is dead as well. Usually the Arboretum is packed at a lunchtime when it's sunny. :-S
throughsilver wrote:
There's nothing on today, is there? Diving, mountain biking..?

There's loads, including diving.
Pod wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

Wrestling! Rhythmic gymnastics!

Cheers - wish I'd seen that link sooner.
throughsilver wrote:
Pod wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

Wrestling! Rhythmic gymnastics!

Cheers - wish I'd seen that link sooner.

Click GRID view for a day-by-day time slot. It also highlights what will be shown on the BBC by putting a circle on it.
Great (by which I mean awful) interview with the British chap who won the kayak gold earlier. Can't recall the exact wording, but it was basically:

BBC bloke: "What goes through your mind during the race - were you thinking of the sacrifices your parents made to enable you to do the sport, or the coach who trained you from the age of eight, or the fact you had to move house to be closer to the training facilities?"

British gold winner: "I hate to disappoint you, but really you just focus on the moment".

:DD
Bobbyaro wrote:
When I was at a comprehensive school, the sports were varied and interesting, we did 2 hours of gym based stuff and 2 hours of outside stuff a week. The gym stuff was all sorts of things including a load of the gymnastics events, and outside while being a bit weather and season dependent was excellent as well, javelin, discus, shotput, running, all sorts of events and then hockey/football and a few other team sports when it was colder.

When I moved to the grammar school, PE was shit; you did basketball/swimming for 1/2 an hour a week, then went and played rugby/hockey/football. The PE teachers weren't interested in helping you at all unless you were in the school rugby team; it was a real step down.

:this:

But then we did go to the same school.

The best PE we had was when the female maths teacher started up a frisbee club.
Mo Farah - freakin' awesome. :)
throughsilver wrote:
Rhythmic gymnastics!

That's a euphamism, right?
Campbell wins gold in the boxing!

We might yet get my pre olympics target of 32!

Tough to do that, but hopefully get to at least 30.

Malc
Gotta love Usain Bolt and the Jamaican relay team.
Holy crap this diving final is immense!
Love Tom Daley's reaction to getting a bronze. Shows up some of those British athletes who thought silver was a failure.
:this: he's made a lot of people, very proud.
TheVision wrote:

And his dad.
I thought his father had died?
TheVision wrote:

you are proud that he has a lot of children?
Mimi wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Oh yeah... Good spot.
Mimi wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:
TheVision wrote:

I'm not a grammar pedant and not do I care about spelling and such when on forums, etc, as I'm usually just looking for a few seconds and on my phone, but The Vision's post actually said something quite different from what I think he had intended :P
Mimi wrote:

Aye. When he didn't win the synchro diving, some knob on Twitter had a go at him saying he'd let his Dad down.
Curiosity wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Aye. When he didn't win the synchro diving, some knob on Twitter had a go at him saying he'd let his Dad down.

Oh, I'd heard a bit about that. Some people will never be happy if they carry around that much hatred and willingness to hurt others. Bizarre.
Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:
TheVision wrote:

I'm not a grammar pedant and not do I care about spelling and such when on forums, etc, as I'm usually just looking for a few seconds and on my phone, but The Vision's post actually said something quite different from what I think he had intended :P

Well I got it, Meems! And I chuckled!
WTB wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Well I got it, Meems! And I chuckled!

Thank goodness someone did :DD
Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Rule six.
The horsey bit of the modern pentathlon is hilarious. The Japanese lady fell off twice and then the horse refused to jump half the things. Most of them can't seem to steer the horses correctly.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/201 ... o/p00w33dn

start at about 40:00, watch the end of the first rider, then the start of the next one that falls off.
In fairness, the proper horse riders get years to strike up a relationship with a horse. These guys get twenty minutes with a random horse. That's gotta be tough.
Curiosity wrote:
These guys get twenty minutes with a random horse. That's gotta be tough.

:hat: >:( :'( :spew:
Curiosity wrote:
In fairness, the proper horse riders get years to strike up a relationship with a horse. These guys get twenty minutes with a random horse. That's gotta be tough.

Many, many, many more fallings-off and rearings-up. It definately reinforces Mimi's previous point about the sports involving horses. You don't need to 'bond' with a bicycle.
Pod wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Many, many, many more fallings-off and rearings-up. It definately reinforces Mimi's previous point about the sports involving horses. You don't need to 'bond' with a bicycle.

the same could be said for any team sport.
Yes. You don't need to bond with a bicycle in hockey, either.
Craster wrote:
Yes. You don't need to bond with a bicycle in hockey, either.

What about bicycle polo?
Great silver there in the modern pentathlon. Impressively done.
That is actually a hell of an event. Some serious skills required.

Silver to end it - and what a way to end a great Games.
Indeed. Most medals ever (bar the 1908 ones where barely anyone competes) by a long way. So many golds, third in the table. Magic.

All after a superb opening ceremony.

No pressure on the closing ceremony then!
I was a bit dissapointed that faster runner wins in the modern pentathlon. Why can't the run+shoot be scored with points like the other events, with bestest points being the winner?
Well, it's combined. The better a shot you are, the quicker you start your run. So it's effectively the same as if it were done on points.
Charlie Brooker suggested Crazy Golf as an event. I'd be GLUED to the screen if that ever came to pass.
I'm sure I'm not the only one to be a little sad that it's all over. And after a fortnight of hearing mostly intelligent and articulate athletes talk about their achievements, many of whom have thoroughly entertained me and made me have pride in my country, it makes me sadder still to think that the poxy football season is looming once again, complete with fuckwitted, charmless players, endlessly talking about "giving 110% for the gaffer", and other such shite.

Still the good thing is, I'm now more compelled to seek out different sports to watch, as there is clearly so much more than football to enjoy in the sporting year.
I wonder if Sky Sports will see more subscriptions off the back of this - they show stuff like this year round.

Looking forward to the closing ceremony at 9PM. If it's half as good as the opener, we're in for a treat!
I hate myself for knowing that I will e back watching football and ignoring most other things starting from next weekend

:(

However, once I'm back playing 6-a-side with my mates to get the fitness back up, I want to seek out a handball club.
How big is it if HGV can drive round it
Imagine, if you can, an athletics stadium. It's about that big.
Music not so good so far for the closing.

Madness sounding rough, Blur couldn't be arsed to turn up, Pet Shop boys –fucking odd, spotty faced boy band- is that really all we could get?

Saving grace Waterloo sunset.

Best bit so far was Prince Harry arriving, did he have a skinfull and a kebab last night or what? Looked rough as shit!

The first Olympic Qango\Back slapping\ hand in pocket \back scratching job goes to............... Lord Coe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19231492
Why are people in bandages pushing white blocks around?

Why do we have Tbf closing ceremony before the Paralympics?
I wish pop starts wouldn't mine. :(
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Wine tonight, GJ?
Mimi wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Wine tonight, GJ?

Well thrte was.

Ooh, Joans has left the bottle by me! :D
Page 49 of 53 [ 2601 posts ]